Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 09:39:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A-Levels  (Read 12920 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: A-Levels
« Reply #210 on August 19, 2020, 09:27:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton

Your call on PMs.

Regarding what I have written, I've gone back and re-read everyone of the things you've misconstrued and I'm happy that each one was clear and unambiguous.

With respect, judgements are only valid if they come from CORRECT reading of the words people write.

As I say, I'm guilty of misreading other people's words on here. It happens easily, but when it is pointed out, I think we all have a responsibility to reflect on that. Otherwise, discussion is bound to spiral down into unpleasantness.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on August 19, 2020, 09:37:41 am by belton rover »
Then we can only agree to disagree.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on August 19, 2020, 04:31:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You clearly disagree with the last paragraph of my post, unfortunately.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on August 19, 2020, 05:03:47 pm by scawsby steve »
Belton.

My apologies if you think I tried to ridicule you. What I intended to do was to point out your consistent misinterpretation of what I said and think. Something you have done consistently throughout this thread and not once backtracked on or apologised for. I do not understand why you have done that from the off, despite me pointing it out numerous times. And I admit, it does get wearing and I may have responded tetchily. If I overstepped the mark in they way I pointed that out, and that has caused offence, I apologise 100%.

I suggest we discuss this by PM from now as I'm sure it is boring everyone else.

Boring? No way BST. It's better than watching a custard pie throwing contest is this.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #214 on August 19, 2020, 05:40:01 pm by belton rover »
Billy.
I’m really not sure what you are looking for now. I don’t think I have misread your words. You think I have. We are both tired of this. Let’s agree to disagree.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on August 19, 2020, 07:33:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

If you have truly looked at what I said, then at what you said I said, and you honestly don't think you got it wrong several times, there's really no point in us discussing anything again. We live in different logic universes.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on August 19, 2020, 07:49:49 pm by belton rover »
Is that the same as agreeing to disagree?

I hope so.

Perhaps if you just said it, I wouldn’t misrepresent it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #217 on August 19, 2020, 07:57:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It certainly is agreeing to disagree. But I'm genuinely astonished that someone with your intelligence is genuinely sticking to that line.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on August 19, 2020, 08:04:14 pm by belton rover »
I think we astonish each other.

I actually like that thought.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on August 19, 2020, 09:31:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

Just for the record, here's an example of our exchange.

I said.

"Once again, (the Govt guidance) says  that the initial assessments cannot be challenged. Only the reprofiling. So your comments (albeit from a position of considerable knowledge in normal times) about appealing on marking are meaningless this year."

You replied:
"For Christ’s sake Billy, the link you are assuming I haven’t read, and is the whole reason for your latest attempt to ‘trump’ me is based on the appeal system that you say is meaningless."

You later said that I'd told you that your views about qualifications weren't to be respected because you hadn't included links from Twitter/Guardian/BBC.
Which of course I'd never said.

When I pointed out that I'd never said that, you responded with:

"I said you had no respect for my views on qualifications (the topic of this thread). You talked about lack of respect BEFORE I informed you I was an examiner."

Except I hadn't. You had misconstrued something that clearly said nothing of the sort.

When I pointed you to the post that you'd misunderstood, you ignored that.

You REALLY still sticking to the line that you weren't misrepresenting what I said? Honestly?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on August 19, 2020, 09:44:06 pm by belton rover »
Billy. Have we agreed to disagree, or not?

THAT’S the line I’M TRYING to stick to.

Next you’ll be accusing me of thinking you can’t bear not to be told how right you are.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:22:57 pm by belton rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #221 on August 19, 2020, 09:57:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

I'm a big believer in objective truth. Without it any form of discussion is meaningless.

I want to put down a marker that you do not agree with that. Just so we don't have to go through this tedious bullshit again.

If you are determined to misrepresent what people say, and continue doing it when people calmly point it out to you, you are not worth wasting any more time on.

You can agree or disagree on that as you wish, but I'll be ignoring you from here on.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on August 19, 2020, 10:09:55 pm by scawsby steve »
No more custard pies then.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on August 19, 2020, 10:11:37 pm by drfchound »
Aawww, I will have to go back to my War and a Peace book then.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on August 19, 2020, 10:13:10 pm by scawsby steve »
And me to my Beano Annual.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #225 on August 19, 2020, 10:18:59 pm by belton rover »
Belton.

I'm a big believer in objective truth. Without it any form of discussion is meaningless.

I want to put down a marker that you do not agree with that. Just so we don't have to go through this tedious bullshit again.

If you are determined to misrepresent what people say, and continue doing it when people calmly point it out to you, you are not worth wasting any more time on.

You can agree or disagree on that as you wish, but I'll be ignoring you from here on.

People? Plural? As far as I’m aware it is you alone who has chosen to ignore me due to misrepresentation.

Be careful not to go misrepresenting other people.

I am truly sorry you feel that way. My loss as well as yours ☹️

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on August 19, 2020, 10:29:08 pm by Nudga »
Shame, I came hear to see grown up discussions.
I'll go back to my crayons.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on August 20, 2020, 07:02:45 am by SydneyRover »
And here you have it the morally bankrupt leading the blind.

''Firm linked to Gove and Cummings hired to work with Ofqual on A-levels

The firm is understood to have been initially contracted to assist Ofqual with communicating its A-level and GSCE results plan to help secure public confidence in the strategy.''

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/20/firm-linked-to-gove-and-cummings-hired-to-work-with-ofqual-on-a-levels

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on August 20, 2020, 12:00:44 pm by Metalmicky »
A slight sideline, but this made me smile....

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on August 20, 2020, 12:21:40 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
A slight sideline, but this made me smile....

yes seen that one many times but have you seen this one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4384328/Tony-Blair-says-social-media-killed-career.html

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on August 26, 2020, 06:23:43 pm by Filo »
Johnson blames a mutant algorithm for the mess, how stupid does he think people are?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on August 26, 2020, 07:26:19 pm by wilts rover »
Not quite as stupid as he was to give that speech without checking to see what books the school librarian had put on display behind him it seems!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on September 02, 2020, 07:22:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well, THIS doesn't pull any punches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53998744

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on September 06, 2020, 11:45:32 pm by bpoolrover »
Clearly the way they went about marking the grades In the first place didn’t work, trusting the teachers for me was not the best idea either, I hope if they need to do this again they come up with a better idea

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #234 on September 07, 2020, 12:30:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Bpool.

Did you see the new head of OFQUAL, the exams regulator being grilled by the Education Select Committee last week? Saying that OFQUAL had been telling the Govt from April that the algorithm method was fatally flawed, but the Govt ignored them and used it anyway. And then sacked the head of OFQUAL.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on September 07, 2020, 08:07:23 am by bpoolrover »
Yes mate was wrong and that way was never going to work, Williamson should have been the first person to go, at the minute I’m not sure what they could do if it happens again thou?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #236 on September 07, 2020, 09:14:08 am by drfchound »
Clearly the way they went about marking the grades In the first place didn’t work, trusting the teachers for me was not the best idea either, I hope if they need to do this again they come up with a better idea

Why wouldn’t you think it was unwise to trust teachers to judge student grades?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #237 on September 07, 2020, 09:33:48 am by idler »
Surely Offsted could do random checks of pupils coursework books to gauge if a final grades reflected a true reflection of their ability?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on September 07, 2020, 09:35:35 am by bpoolrover »
My 2 got grades far higher than they would have if sat the exams, of course that’s great and were really pleased but if that was to carry on they would become worthless, one at collage was doing a course last year and swopped collages and changed course, she only did 3 months of a 2 year course and still managed 2 distinction stars when she should have received nothing, the other did gcse and would have got c and and couple of b grades but got all a 2 a stars and 2 b, again great but there is no way she would have got anything near that, my mate teaches at a local collage and was told to pass every student no matter what even if they would have failed so again not anywhere near a true reflection

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #239 on September 07, 2020, 09:38:55 am by idler »
That situation also cheapens the grades of pupils that did actually work hard and would have achieved good grades under normal circumstances.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012