Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:17:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A-Levels  (Read 12579 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: A-Levels
« Reply #240 on September 07, 2020, 10:07:19 am by bpoolrover »
Yes and that is the problem, while it’s not the students fault and not the teachers really as they only want what is best for the kids in the long run the grades wouldn’t be worth much

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #241 on September 07, 2020, 04:06:38 pm by ravenrover »
So if all kids got upgraded results this year it doesn't really affect anything in the long run

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #242 on September 07, 2020, 04:12:51 pm by bpoolrover »
So if all kids got upgraded results this year it doesn't really affect anything in the long run
but if it keeps happening there not getting there true results which will make them pointless

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #243 on September 07, 2020, 04:51:02 pm by ravenrover »
Do you think thete will be no exams next year after this years fiasco?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #244 on September 07, 2020, 04:55:31 pm by i_ateallthepies »

That's the problem though, there's a ceiling to the grading system which means the genuine highest performers are penalised by the top grades being swamped by less capable candidates.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #245 on September 07, 2020, 05:24:00 pm by bpoolrover »
Do you think thete will be no exams next year after this years fiasco?ive no idea it’s a possibility as I presume you don’t no how this virus will pan out

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #246 on September 07, 2020, 06:01:05 pm by wilts rover »
Do you think thete will be no exams next year after this years fiasco?ive no idea it’s a possibility as I presume you don’t no how this virus will pan out

To be fair nor does anyone else across the world.

However what they do know is that there is a distinct possiblity that exams in the 'normal' sense won't be able to go ahead next year. So what's the plan if they can't?

They have a full year to prepare for one & that's what governmens are for, to make those types of decisions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #247 on September 07, 2020, 06:27:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I can't have with this "unprecedented times, cut them some slack argument".

In 2007, Alastair Darling, the Chancellor took a phone call one evening while out at a working dinner.

It was the head of one of the big banks. He was calling to say that the money markets had seized up. Banks were on the verge of running out of money. There was a very real prospect of the entire banking system collapsing and bringing the entire economy down in a way that would make the COVID lockdown look like a boom.

The banker said they needed Govt bailouts to prevent that from happening.

Darling asked him how many weeks funding they had before they ran out of funds. The banker said, if they were lucky, they might make it to the close of business the next day.

By the next afternoon, Brown and Darling had poured £300bn into keeping the banks afloat.

And the VERY SAME politicians who are now saying the Govt needs cutting some slack spent the next decade throwing bricks at Labour for running up such huge debts.

18 hours, they had, to prevent a scenario where you'd have gone to the cash machine, and computer would've said "No".

Williamson had 5 months to sort out the A-Level problem (and agreed, it WAS a problem). He did precisely what OFQUAL advised him not to do. f**ked it up. Then sacked the Head of OFQUAL. And we are supposed to not criticise him, cos, hindsight...

There are ALWAYS unforeseen crises. Like Wilts says, a big part of Government is dealing with them. Politicians who want power then moan "Oh there's a big crisis! Can't blame me for ballsing up" are not really much use.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:31:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #248 on September 07, 2020, 08:14:54 pm by bpoolrover »
I don’t think anyone is arguing that it was the wrong way to do it, the hard part will be finding the right way if it happens again

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #249 on September 07, 2020, 08:20:39 pm by drfchound »
Precisely bpool.
I haven’t seen too many options put forward.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012