Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:38:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: For the older BV lot on here 1979/80 season home programmes  (Read 2520 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Please correct me if Iam wrong but was this not the season that the
home seasons programmes started off as a newspaper type of effort?

sure it was ,but from the off I thought they was shite and I got only got one from the first home game whoever it was against 30p or
som'ert.

God they was terrible .did any of you lot buy them game in game out?

Was in the rovers programme shop round near away end about 2 years back having a gander at what was out on offer ,and when I think about it I did not see any of these 1979/80 newspaper programmes.

Which got me thinking is there a higher price value on these newspaper efforts from that season as I seem to recall half way through the season they went back to normall standard better programme?

Law of economics > > > supply and demand > > > programmes cut
short because they was not selling well > > > club went back to normall standard half way throw season > > > hence to say the value
of them paper ones today could be tenfold ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: For the older BV lot on here 1979/80 season home programmes
« Reply #1 on January 31, 2017, 12:09:54 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
They're only valuable if there's enough demand for them now to make the price of a small supply of them higher.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 31, 2017, 01:05:19 pm by idler »
Please correct me if Iam wrong but was this not the season that the
home seasons programmes started off as a newspaper type of effort?

sure it was ,but from the off I thought they was shite and I got only got one from the first home game whoever it was against 30p or
som'ert.

God they was terrible .did any of you lot buy them game in game out?

Was in the rovers programme shop round near away end about 2 years back having a gander at what was out on offer ,and when I think about it I did not see any of these 1979/80 newspaper programmes.

Which got me thinking is there a higher price value on these newspaper efforts from that season as I seem to recall half way through the season they went back to normall standard better programme?

Law of economics > > > supply and demand > > > programmes cut
short because they was not selling well > > > club went back to normall standard half way throw season > > > hence to say the value
of them paper ones today could be tenfold ?
I have two or three of them and I think if anything they are probably worth less rather than more for normal size ones just before or after this trial.
As Glyn says though if somebody desperately wants one they will pay.
Some years ago I bought a Rovers v Chelsea FA cup programme for over £20.
I did so because it has Jimmy Greaves autograph on the front.
Sone collectors would argue that the signature should actually devalue it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 31, 2017, 01:42:15 pm by The Red Baron »
I think I've got all of them. I agree though that they were bobbins.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 31, 2017, 02:39:23 pm by not on facebook »
As I said i only ever got one of them as they was shit ,and it's the only
rovers programme that I ever bought home/away that I seem to can't
find today .

Would love to know about the thinking of using this style of programme as its obvious it was not working as the club changed back to normall style half way through the season.

Was this just a rovers run on shitty programmes or did other clubs
go down same track that season?

I seem to have it in me head that derby county had same style

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 31, 2017, 02:44:08 pm by RedRover45 »
I've got all of them, they changed the format after issue 8 or 9 from full newspaper size to comic size. Another annoying thing was that on a couple of occasions where we had Sat/Tues games, they made it a double issue.
Other clubs to use the newspaper style that season in our division was Rochdale, Walsall and Northampton. Horrible to store, glad they only lasted one season.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 31, 2017, 02:47:51 pm by The Red Baron »
I seem to recall Derby County started the trend a year or two before. Terrible idea.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 31, 2017, 02:58:15 pm by RedRover45 »
I seem to recall Derby County started the trend a year or two before. Terrible idea.

Yes, you're right John. First time I ever went to Baseball Ground was 71-72 season and it was the newspaper then. Still got that too. Horrible.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 31, 2017, 06:59:03 pm by 1879Rovers »
I seem to recall that we did them for the League Cup ties. I think Sheff Utd and Exeter.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 01, 2017, 12:10:57 am by RedRover45 »
I seem to recall that we did them for the League Cup ties. I think Sheff Utd and Exeter.

Every home game that season

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 01, 2017, 07:03:16 am by 1879Rovers »
I didn't realise it was every home game. From the following season I collected every home programme up to 1990.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 01, 2017, 10:20:35 am by RedRover45 »
find today .

Would love to know about the thinking of using this style of programme as its obvious it was not working as the club changed back to normall style half way through the season.

Oslo, is it any specific match you're looking for as I think I've got a few spares for that season in my mums attic. I can dig 'em out if you're interested ?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 01, 2017, 12:00:50 pm by not on facebook »
find today .

Oslo, is it any specific match you're looking for as I think I've got a few spares for that season in my mums attic. I can dig 'em out if you're interested ?

No mate and thanks for the offer red rover as if you was to go trapping throu yer loft to dig out whatever rovers programme and pass it on to me ,it would only be put straight into the back
of my bod ( outside brick shed) with rest of my rovers programmes never too see light of day again.

I would go as far to say that just about all of us have are old rovers programmes all neatly stacked/packed away into boxes etc etc and stored up in lofts ,sheds well out of sight and mind.

Must be over 10 years since I even took a quick look at mine .

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 01, 2017, 09:54:28 pm by Tiddysdad »
This year’s programs were my first time I showed anyone my pictures of my Rovers heroes.
As a 19 year old I was asked by Rovers if they could use some of my pictures. I asked if I could design the front cover of the Mansfield FA cup program.
Before this program each issue was newspaper size; I suggested that it was reduced to half the size with twice the about of pages. I think my design lasted for 3 possible 4 issues.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 01, 2017, 10:02:52 pm by idler »
Your drawings were probably the best part of those programmes Tiddysdad.😉

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 03, 2017, 11:09:42 am by Herman Hessian »
hah - i was going to say exactly that - they were great, those pics

definitely a style followed by other clubs, so i guess there may have been a printer somewhere that did a few different ones - Tranmere Rovers were another one who used 'em; I've got all the Rovers ones stored away (plus christ knows how many other ones...)

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 03, 2017, 04:38:29 pm by 1879Rovers »
Saw them in a book today. (Got not got) Shrewsbury also did them

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 03, 2017, 09:46:32 pm by POD »
Saw them in a book today. (Got not got) Shrewsbury also did them
I got a copy of "Got, Not Got" last Christmas.  An excellent read for football fans of a certain age.  Not just about programmes, but general reminiscence about the beautiful game and "collecting" in particular from the 60's and 70's.
As for Rovers programmes, sadly with a few exceptions, anything after 1960 is more or less worthless.  The reason for this is that programmes after this time were plentiful and collected by supporters rather than thrown away as they were in the 1950s and before.  As a result, anyone who wants a particular Rovers programme already has a copy.  With the advent of the glossy brochure type programme since 2000, collecting has become expensive and storage a nightmare, so less and less people are entering the hobby of programme collecting.  If you go to a programme fair nowadays, you are hard pressed to find anyone under the age of 50.  Despite having a huge collection of programmes including many Rovers, I haven't bought a current issue since our Championship season and haven't regretted it.  That's almost 10 years at 50 matches per season at £3 each.  That's £1,500 I've saved!!
 Going back to the Got, Not Got book, I've spent the last few years spending my programme money on football stuff from my youth eg Soccer Stars, Typhoo Cards, football gum cards etc which is far better value for money and far more enjoyable.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 03, 2017, 10:22:11 pm by 1879Rovers »
I was in the barbers and they had it in there. Had me and my mate reminising about things we collected, comics and games we played when younger. I would definitely recommend it.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 03, 2017, 11:01:52 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Sorry chaps, for the ones who replied to my plea for a programme fair,  my 85 year old dad is in the DRI so things on hold. I know we have a thread regarding this but separately - Anyone got Portsmouth home that sesaon- happy to discuss a price? PM me.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2017, 12:56:21 am by RedRover45 »
Sorry chaps, for the ones who replied to my plea for a programme fair,  my 85 year old dad is in the DRI so things on hold. I know we have a thread regarding this but separately - Anyone got Portsmouth home that sesaon- happy to discuss a price? PM me.

I'll have a look next time I'm at my mums, got a few spares from that season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012