Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:01:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovrums demise  (Read 4355 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Rovrums demise
« on February 01, 2017, 07:04:42 pm by Donnyjim »
Sadly for them it's very similar to what happened to us at that level. I predicted that this would happen and it has.

Tony Stewart is sorting out an exit strategy and is on the run from radio deedar, similar that of JR. At that level our clubs become mill stones for the owners.

Unfortunately with parachute payments we'll never be able to compete at that level.

On a brighter note it will an excellent derby next season. We are on the up and they are struggling - can't wait.  Bring on Eric, Saturday!  :scarf:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Rovrums demise
« Reply #1 on February 01, 2017, 08:00:35 pm by not on facebook »
Guess Iam old school rovers fan as this is Doncasters biggest
rivial ,not Leeds Sheff utd/ weds Barnsley .

Anything that happens to this club/ fans on a  negative front
makes my day even thou donny have not played them for yonks.

Would never want them to slip out of the league system as there
would never be any more chance to open up old wounds on a match
day with them.

One game that still haunts me was that game we played at millmoor
the season rovers fell into the conference.sure we was all ready down by that day and it was men against boys that day . . . .

. .. .rovers been the boys ,and that patched up rovers team of odds
and ends with many teenagers playing that day put all their b*llocks
into that game and you could see tears down some of the youngest rovers players faces when Rotherham took the lead.

and don't mention their fans that day

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 01, 2017, 08:22:59 pm by graingrover »
Despite the two clubs having relatively modest sized fan bases I think with our Board and management team we now would have a much better ride in the championship than last time. T Bramall and Dick Watson and family are now not background financial partners as they first were; but they are  now dictating the strategy and have employed the right management that we all seem to agree is OK!! The ambition to get back to the Championship has been stated as being their aim.The feel about the place can perhaps be best described as 'cautiously optimistic' but caution and careful step by step progress is Ok too.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 01, 2017, 08:29:52 pm by wilts rover »
I dont' get this 'if you haven't got parachute payments you can't compete' argument.

Of the current six teams in the promotion places, two have never had a parachute payment, one ran out last year, two others had their last payment when Noah was a lad, leaving only Newcastle currently receiving parachute money.

Conversely two of the bottom three have recently had parachute money.

Brentford and Barnsley see to be managing OK without parachute money - as both are above Aston Villa and QPR who are receiving it.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 01, 2017, 08:54:56 pm by colincramb »
You can compete without parachute money, although you need a strategy for a club the size of ours that can't rely on gates of 20-25000+ each home game. That's the strategy currently being employed by Barnsley and to some extent Brentford. Developing/finding cheap talent and selling it on for a big profit. This is obviously hard to maintain over the course of time and fans become dishearted when the clubs best young players are constantly being sold.

For me this is the only way we could survive longer term at that level

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 01, 2017, 09:19:15 pm by BobG »
£12M Brentford just got for some bloke I've never heard of...

BobG

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 01, 2017, 09:27:37 pm by not on facebook »

BobG

That said bloke was sold to Aston villa ,who in turn played at brentford last nite and got dicked
3 > 0

funny how football can come and nip you in your backside

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 01, 2017, 09:29:22 pm by BobG »
That's exactly why I'm not crowing yet Oslo... Too much nipping by half!

BobG

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 02, 2017, 05:30:04 pm by NickDRFC »

BobG

Mad money agreed but I think you're either being a bit disingenous there Bob or you don't follow any league that the Rovers aren't in very much.

He had a good season at Rochdale a few years back and then got a pretty terrible injury early on after signing for Brentford (maybe even debut?) Banged them in on his comeback at the tail end of last season and has been doing very well for them this year. I think he'll do well for Villa and it's a much-needed signing considering the troubles they have had scoring this year, but I do agree that £12m is daft money for a player with that little experience at that level. Still, a player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for him...

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 02, 2017, 05:43:37 pm by GazLaz »
Hogan was playing non league about 4 years ago.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 02, 2017, 07:30:10 pm by the vicar »
Sadly for them it's very similar to what happened to us at that level. I predicted that this would happen and it has.

Tony Stewart is sorting out an exit strategy and is on the run from radio deedar, similar that of JR. At that level our clubs become mill stones for the owners.

Unfortunately with parachute payments we'll never be able to compete at that level.

On a brighter note it will an excellent derby next season. We are on the up and they are struggling - can't wait.  Bring on Eric, Saturday!  :scarf:
if teams can't complete with the parachute payment then how did BOURNEMOUTH get to the promised land

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 02, 2017, 07:35:24 pm by The Red Baron »
The other route. Bankrolled by a Russkie billionaire.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 02, 2017, 07:38:49 pm by 1879Rovers »
I dont' get this 'if you haven't got parachute payments you can't compete' argument.

Of the current six teams in the promotion places, two have never had a parachute payment, one ran out last year, two others had their last payment when Noah was a lad, leaving only Newcastle currently receiving parachute money.

Conversely two of the bottom three have recently had parachute money.

Brentford and Barnsley see to be managing OK without parachute money - as both are above Aston Villa and QPR who are receiving it.

I looked at it last season to see how many clubs go straight back up to the Premier League. It is not that many.

Mac the hooped man

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 02, 2017, 08:30:50 pm by Mac the hooped man »
Oh yes, the biggest myth in English football,  that bornmuff got to to prem with a collection of kids, journeymen and cast offs!!   They got fined for breaking ffp rules on the way to their 150 million pound payday..

DN8ROVER

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 02, 2017, 08:38:21 pm by DN8ROVER »
Oh yes, the biggest myth in English football,  that bornmuff got to to prem with a collection of kids, journeymen and cast offs!!   They got fined for breaking ffp rules on the way to their 150 million pound payday..

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/14461619.AFC_Bournemouth__Cherries__Financial_Fair_Play_fine_more_than___7million/

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 02, 2017, 08:50:41 pm by RedJ »
#fairytale

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 03, 2017, 08:00:20 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Rotherham have followed a very similar path to ourselves. Two friends of mine are just as philosophical about their recent success and impending relegation.

They understand it's difficult to compete when the team spirit has gone and there's a high turnover of managers and players. They are looking forward to locking horns with us again after enjoying the ride in the Championship.

We all know you can compete with teams who have received parachute payments providing everything is managed well from top to bottom.

Rotherham need to act quickly to stabilise the ship to avoid following us, Scunny, Portsmouth, Plymouth etc., to League Two.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 03, 2017, 08:40:38 am by Campsall rover »
We are very lucky to have Bramhall and the Watson's at the helm.
Tony Stewart at RUFC is in the same position as JR was at Rovers.
He needs some very wealthy investors to help him. That is the only way to get them back to the Championship again.
I can see next season being very tough for them next season and survival in league 1 would be I think the best that they can achieve.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 03, 2017, 08:48:05 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yep, there's always a financial hangover following relegation. I don't know what the situation is with Tony Stewart, whether he's looking for an exit strategy or to bring more investors in. Perhaps without Steve Evans overspending with too many new signings, they may have been able to extend their stay in the Championship a bit longer.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 03, 2017, 09:21:07 am by RedJ »
Think the fact that Stubbs signed a load of shite over the summer from Scotland played a part too.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 03, 2017, 09:38:11 am by RoversAlias »
Think the fact that Stubbs signed a load of shite over the summer from Scotland played a part too.

He only signed three players from Scotland to be fair, two of them from Celtic and the other, Will Vaulks, who we were after and I recently saw receiving praise for shutting down Jonjo Shelvey in a game against Newcastle.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 03, 2017, 10:21:52 am by GazLaz »
The only chance teams like us and Rotherscum have got in the championship without getting a extremely rich sugar daddy is by getting promoted with a young team that still has plenty of improvement in them then adding one or two players of quality. If you go up then have to rebuild with cast offs and gambles that nobody else wants it's very difficult.

ballysbackin

« Reply #22 on February 03, 2017, 10:41:59 pm by ballysbackin »
Rotherham for many years, like Scunthorpe were a decent Div 2 team (Championship) I think if Scunny do go up and I hope they do, with the small fan base as Rotherham, Donny and many others would always struggle against the more supported clubs, therefore players do not come and relegation looms,

TinyPortal © 2005-2012