Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:28:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: El-hadji Diouf  (Read 2795 times)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
El-hadji Diouf
« on June 26, 2017, 06:38:04 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Great piece on the BBC website about Diouf here - El Hadji Diouf: I am not a bad guy, says controversial Senegal great
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40379715

He makes it clear that he is a very humble man with no sense of ego.

What really made me laugh was the link at the foot of the page  - Diouf Enquiry ongoing - Saunders. Can't believe Saunders PI still doesn't have the evidence!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: El-hadji Diouf
« Reply #1 on June 26, 2017, 06:46:29 pm by wilts rover »
He is the 'controversial former Doncaster Rovers star' in the YP write up of the same interview. However what I find really interesting is that in neither write up do they refer to his time at Leeds. It's almost as if, 'he has done some bad things in his time that he is now repentant of - but even Diouf doesn't ever want to remember as having played for Leeds!'

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/i-m-an-easy-target-i-m-not-a-bad-guy-i-m-a-good-guy-controversial-former-doncaster-rovers-star-hits-back-at-critics-1-8615685

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 26, 2017, 07:20:23 pm by RoversAlias »
He struggled to come across as someone without an ego in that interview. Don't think there's any doubt at this stage that he's got a questionable character when it xomes to football.

del boy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 26, 2017, 07:41:08 pm by del boy »
Regardless of what people think of his character the season he was with us he was easily the best player on show and one of the few from the experiment to actually show any passion

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 26, 2017, 07:45:28 pm by not on facebook »
Nowt wrong with having a ego ,but you can't defend fact that he spat into another players face.

He could do a bad tackle and end another players playing days and that will pass most of footballing fans by in time.

But spitting into a players face will never vanish

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 26, 2017, 08:11:23 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Nowt wrong with having a ego ,but you can't defend fact that he spat into another players face.

He could do a bad tackle and end another players playing days and that will pass most of footballing fans by in time.

But spitting into a players face will never vanish

It was disgusting but not career defining or shouldn't be

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 26, 2017, 10:27:47 pm by drfchound »
Diouf was one of the best players to have ever played for us and as has been said, he really tried when he played for us.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 27, 2017, 07:30:01 am by phil old leake »
I agree with previous input.  Unlike some of the experimental lot he did put in effort.  If they'd all put in the same effort it might have worked. Unfortunately it didn't. Some of them were worryingly bad

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 27, 2017, 09:29:35 am by wing commander »
  Yep like him or loathe him nobody can say he didn't give his all...One of the best players I've seen in a Rovers shirt and my opinion of him certainly went up during his time with us...Of all the so called experimental players I would have thought he would be the one to coast through it the most....But he didn't unlike some of the others

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 27, 2017, 12:12:54 pm by RoversAlias »
Of course he did go on a big night out with a few other players into the early hours right before a game, I believe away to Southampton. The difference I think was that Diouf actually had tremendous ability on the pitch no matter what he'd been doing the night before, whereas most of the others were crap anyway.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 27, 2017, 12:26:19 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Just the lay-off to Billy Sharp to score that goal sums him up as a footballer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkiQ0-Rhrg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:00:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 27, 2017, 12:27:18 pm by mushRTID »
The reception he got at the end of West Ham away says a lot. He was brilliant for us.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 27, 2017, 05:23:32 pm by roversdude »
Hated the guy ....until he played for us, great character and I believe he does a lot of charitable stuff that never gets mentioned

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 27, 2017, 07:24:39 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I have absolutely no doubt about that and he was definitely the bright point of 'The Experiment', but his ego is so hilariously big - not helped by Pele putting him in his top 100 players ever, or something similar (although that shows what a coup it was for 'TLOD' to get him).

Actually the thing that made me raise it on here was just the Saunders inquiry link at the end which made me snort out my coffee at work - remembering the fanzine articles about Saunders PI and seeing that the inquiry was ongoing (and yes, I know the link was from 2012)

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 28, 2017, 02:38:11 pm by balbyrover »
The reception he got at the end of West Ham away says a lot. He was brilliant for us.

Agreed. He was brilliant and a class above everybody else on the pitch.  Very gifted footballer who probably let himself down throughout his career.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 28, 2017, 03:19:59 pm by drfc1951 »
Unlucky not to score what would have been the winner at Upton Park.

balbyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 28, 2017, 03:26:10 pm by balbyrover »
Unlucky not to score what would have been the winner at Upton Park.

Aye. Didn't he hit the post shortly after Coppinger scored?
I remember us going close.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 28, 2017, 04:39:56 pm by RedJ »
Aye he did.

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 28, 2017, 07:12:35 pm by essexrover »
Big ego ? Yes. Eccentric ? Yes. Maverick ? Yes. Brilliant tho', I loved him for Rovers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012