Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:59:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FA Cup replays  (Read 2368 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
FA Cup replays
« on April 18, 2024, 12:45:13 pm by Branton Rover »
To be scrapped next season from the first round proper onwards. I might be a sentimental old fool who’s stuck in the past but I think this is a shame and yet another example of the FA capitulating to big clubs and the uniqueness of the competition is being undermined and smaller clubs miss out on extra additional revenue like Cray Valley who got a replay after drawing at Charlton Athletic. Ok, they got hammered 6-1 in the replay but I guess would’ve made quite considerable extra money as a result. This is now going to be scrapped entirely.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: FA Cup replays
« Reply #1 on April 18, 2024, 12:51:52 pm by normal rules »
Big teams calling the shots again .
Trying to smokescreen things by saying they will Donate to grass roots footy . Who are they trying to kid?
Consider Lincoln’s cup Run a few years ago. No replay from the draw at Portman rd. no gate receipts.
This only benefits those clubs at the highest level. Because of fixture congestion with Euro comps etc.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 18, 2024, 12:54:54 pm by RoversInSpain »
To be scrapped next season from the first round proper onwards. I might be a sentimental old fool who’s stuck in the past but I think this is a shame and yet another example of the FA capitulating to big clubs and the uniqueness of the competition is being undermined and smaller clubs miss out on extra additional revenue like Cray Valley who got a replay after drawing at Charlton Athletic. Ok, they got hammered 6-1 in the replay but I guess would’ve made quite considerable extra money as a result. This is now going to be scrapped entirely.
Please may I join your Old F*rts club.
Agree entirely. Thought that was the romance of the cup. A chance for small clubs holding out for a draw in their packed out ground to earn valuable income, on a big away day.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 18, 2024, 01:02:30 pm by glosterred »
With you on this BR - pandering to the premier league once more taking money away from those smaller clubs lucky enough to earn a replay.

COYR

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 18, 2024, 01:04:03 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Couldn't agree more with the other posters.
Gone are the days when you could have four replays like we did against Aston Villa in 1955 before we won 3-1 at the fifth attempt helped by two goals from the amazing Alick Jeffrey, who was only 16 years old at the time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 18, 2024, 01:04:59 pm by Filo »
Agreed here as well

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 18, 2024, 01:15:46 pm by Donnywolf »
I'll agree too. Another sad loss for lower League Teams .Whatever happened to the " romance of the FA Cup ?

Markets itself as World's greatest Cup Competition

Maybe was but now it just grates on me

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 18, 2024, 02:34:02 pm by normal rules »
If rovers ever repeat the 1974 draw against Liverpool, there would be no replay. The more I think about this decision , the worse it gets .

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 18, 2024, 02:35:42 pm by RedRover »
Big teams calling the shots again .
Trying to smokescreen things by saying they will Donate to grass roots footy . Who are they trying to kid?
Consider Lincoln’s cup Run a few years ago. No replay from the draw at Portman rd. no gate receipts.
This only benefits those clubs at the highest level. Because of fixture congestion with Euro comps etc.
Lincoln were able to build their training ground on the A15 opposite former RAF Scampton off the back of that cup run I believe.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 18, 2024, 02:40:43 pm by bobbymax »
It's another kickin the teeth for clubs who aren't owned by some dodgy hedgefund or a Saudi prince. They won't be happy until there 10 clubs remaining and matches are referred by some committee in a trailer.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 18, 2024, 02:52:04 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Klopp and the big timers win again. Their poor multimillion pound squads can't stretch to replays. Give you a quid they're still off an pre season tour of Thailand and playing for a trophy in Dubai though

Here's an idea instead of paying one player 200k a week, lower wages and pay two players 100k for a bigger squad. They'll survive on the lower, just about

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 18, 2024, 03:03:46 pm by Nudga »
They do this but then clubs are cramming in over seas friendlies in between the season end and the euros

The FL should take this moment f**k off the u21s in the FLT and lower league clubs take it a bit more serious to generate the lost revenues
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 04:05:17 pm by Nudga »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 18, 2024, 03:29:14 pm by normal rules »
Some recent money spinners for poor clubs
Exeter 2005 v manure
Orient 2012 v arsenal
Stevenage 2012 v spurs
Exeter 2016 v Liverpool
Rochdale 2020 v Newcastle
Shrewsbury 2020 v Liverpool
None of this will happen under new rules

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 18, 2024, 03:50:18 pm by ncRover »
We will see EFL attendances grow over the next few years with people becoming increasingly disenfranchsied from the premier league I predict.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:56:02 pm by ncRover »

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 18, 2024, 04:00:29 pm by Little Wolf »
EFL clubs should boycott the fa cup next year, enough is enough lower league clubs need a voice in the FA which obviously they do not
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 04:13:46 pm by Little Wolf »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 18, 2024, 04:05:48 pm by Nudga »
We will see EFL attendances grow over the next few years with people becoming increasingly disenfranchsied from the premier league I predict.

I think we already have.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 18, 2024, 04:12:37 pm by roversdude »
The competition has been tarnished since manure pulled out years ago - I not watched a final for years

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 18, 2024, 04:54:22 pm by ncRover »
“Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays.

There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes.

The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth.

We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.”

Clubs such as Tranmere for example are better placed to have a say on the potential change of a tradition of English football than the likes of Jurgen Klopp, Pep Guardiola and American PL club owners.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 18, 2024, 04:58:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
For me if it was all about the big clubs then they could stop replays after round 2. It saves it saying  33m by stopping them all together so it’s to do with money as well.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 18, 2024, 05:14:33 pm by silent majority »
The FSA;

“It’s clear today’s announcement about the FA cup has not gone down well with a lot of fans up and down the country. Supporters are concerned that the changes to the FA Cup will further diminish what makes the competition enduringly popular – namely its history, heritage and tradition.
“While we recognise the footballing calendar is coming under impossible strain – due to the increasing bloat of FIFA and UEFA competitions – recent surveys of both our members and National Council revealed serious concerns about loss of replays and the impact that could have on the magic of the competition.
“The FA Cup is the oldest domestic cup competition in the world, an asset of national importance, and we have shared those concerns with the FA as its primary custodians.”

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 18, 2024, 05:28:33 pm by Hounslowrover »
And it’s not even the final match of the season.  Are they still having semis at Wembley? It’s all about the money and Premiership clubs.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 18, 2024, 05:52:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Step too far. We need a national protest and some further protection for the FA Cup competition and it's integrity. It's of national importance and is a major part of our culture so it needs concensus from all clubs and fans before any fundamental changes can be made. The FA should be ashamed.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 18, 2024, 06:38:01 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
Hopefully there is a U turn to this saga.

If the big clubs want to stop replays they should play their strongest 11 first time round and try get the job done there and then.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 18, 2024, 06:55:48 pm by scawsby steve »
The worse thing that ever happened was the rejection of a European super league. Get them all f*cked off away from English football altogether.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 18, 2024, 06:59:49 pm by normal rules »
The worse thing that ever happened was the rejection of a European super league. Get them all f*cked off away from English football altogether.

With respect, wouldn’t that outcome detract rather largely from what the consensus is around the FA cup?
Poor clubs want replays against the big boys. Which wouldn’t be possible if they were no longer in the FA?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 18, 2024, 07:10:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
What the protest highlighted is all clubs are part of the same pyramid system and should be governed by the same rules and respect every club as a member and no matter what, fans will not allow their clubs to be separated from the system. The sooner the EPL is brought back into line, the better it will be for all in our competitions.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 18, 2024, 07:12:39 pm by Nudga »

Totally agree. Then you might end up with fan run splinter clubs replacing the breakaway ones.

I personally would support the Rovers if they wanted to boycott the fa cup.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 18, 2024, 07:15:55 pm by Guernsey Exile »

Totally agree. Then you might end up with fan run splinter clubs replacing the breakaway ones.

I personally would support the Rovers if they wanted to boycott the fa cup.
This

roversfan94

« Reply #28 on April 18, 2024, 07:19:26 pm by roversfan94 »
Shambles really.. but not surprising in any way,shape or form.

Equally as bad as the semi finals being played at Wembley.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 18, 2024, 07:24:01 pm by idler »
How about giving clubs the option of having the option of a replay or withdrawing from the competition. That way if big clubs didn’t want a replay they could bow out gracefully.
I wonder how many would then take that option.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012