Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:04:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tackle poverty and inequality to reduce crime, says police chief  (Read 1792 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Privatisation of bus services has been an absolute disaster, in terms of buses being run as a public service.

I moved to Sheffield 24 years ago. I live about 2 miles out of the city centre, in a very densely populated area.  When i moved here there were 14 buses an hour in the rush hour from the end of our road to the city centre. They were always packed. Single fare was 65p.

Today there are 4 buses an hour. They often go past stops in the morning because they are full. If I have a vital train to catch, I'll generally leave the house an hour before the train is due, to allow for missed or full buses. For a journey of 2 miles in what is probably one of the top 50 cities by size in Western Europe. The single fare is £2.

So that's an average annual increase in fares of 4.8%, over a period when inflation has typically been around 2% and a reduction in service of 70%. Shocking way to run a vital service.

And the consequence is that with the additional cars on the road, roads that used to be reasonably clear of traffic are now regularly backed up way over a mile from the city centre in rush hour.

2 miles..... not sure why you wouldn't walk - especially if you have a spare hour...?  :whistle:
I usually do walk into town to the office. A bit less easy to tramp 2 miles if I'm going away for work with a suitcase, a brief case and a laptop.

Not really the point though is it?

Think of it as a work out.

For what it's worth, I walk the thick end of 100km most weeks.

Not  really the point though, is it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Tackle poverty and inequality to reduce crime, says police chief
« Reply #31 on April 21, 2021, 10:07:35 pm by drfchound »
Privatisation of bus services has been an absolute disaster, in terms of buses being run as a public service.

I moved to Sheffield 24 years ago. I live about 2 miles out of the city centre, in a very densely populated area.  When i moved here there were 14 buses an hour in the rush hour from the end of our road to the city centre. They were always packed. Single fare was 65p.

Today there are 4 buses an hour. They often go past stops in the morning because they are full. If I have a vital train to catch, I'll generally leave the house an hour before the train is due, to allow for missed or full buses. For a journey of 2 miles in what is probably one of the top 50 cities by size in Western Europe. The single fare is £2.

So that's an average annual increase in fares of 4.8%, over a period when inflation has typically been around 2% and a reduction in service of 70%. Shocking way to run a vital service.

And the consequence is that with the additional cars on the road, roads that used to be reasonably clear of traffic are now regularly backed up way over a mile from the city centre in rush hour.

2 miles..... not sure why you wouldn't walk - especially if you have a spare hour...?  :whistle:
I usually do walk into town to the office. A bit less easy to tramp 2 miles if I'm going away for work with a suitcase, a brief case and a laptop.

Just lighten up a bit BST.
It was a light hearted post by me.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 21, 2021, 10:10:01 pm by River Don »
A large slice of criminal activity and violence in society could be removed at a stroke, if they would just stop treating narcotics as a criminal problem, legalise and treat it as the health issue it is.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 22, 2021, 10:38:30 am by Metalmicky »

Just lighten up a bit BST.
It was a light hearted post by me.

And me....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012