Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:49:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Elected Crime Commissioners  (Read 1241 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Elected Crime Commissioners
« on May 09, 2021, 09:35:56 am by SydneyRover »
I haven't seen much discussion if any on this subject except low voter interest, what are people's thoughts, have they been successful? Happy to continue with it or don't care?

oops wrong forum, apologies

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Elected Crime Commissioners
« Reply #1 on May 09, 2021, 09:52:51 am by the vicar »
I don’t care about that as law in this country is a total ass.  We got broken in to by the travelers with cameras on and the police

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 09, 2021, 07:34:52 pm by ravenrover »
Wow you were inlucky Dave Travellers and the Police lol

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 09, 2021, 08:05:49 pm by belton rover »
Wow you were inlucky Dave Travellers and the Police lol

‘Dave Travellers and the Police’ sounds like a super group.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 09, 2021, 09:06:52 pm by wilts rover »
The Tory Candidate for the role of PCC in Wiltshire has been forced to withdraw from the role due to his admissabilty for the post over a drink-driving conviction.

That how serious this role is - the Tories put a convicted criminal up for it!!

Dunno whats going to happen now, will they re-run it, give it to the bloke in second place?

What a waste of money.

https://twitter.com/StewartPalmen/status/1391432883500371973

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 09, 2021, 10:11:18 pm by Dagenham Rover »
The Tory Candidate for the role of PCC in Wiltshire has been forced to withdraw from the role due to his admissabilty for the post over a drink-driving conviction.

Dunno whats going to happen now, will they re-run it, give it to the bloke in second place?

What a waste of money.

By what is being said he declared it and was told it was ok as it was a fine etc  "an old drink driving charge"  is what its being reported as
It should still have been clarified and a total waste even if he doesn't withdraw and won he wouldn't be allowed to take up the post

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 09, 2021, 11:52:41 pm by SydneyRover »
Doesn't sound like there is a lot of interest in the OP, which leaves the obvious question, to me anyway is why a voting system was introduced? was there a clamour for it, it certainly doesn't appear so. This is not an attempt to revive a dying thread but it does appear that it is a non-subject.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 10, 2021, 12:19:33 am by SydneyRover »
this is 8yrs old.

''Police and crime commissioner elections: who, what and why – Q&A''

''Senior police figures have repeatedly spoken out against the role, warning that police operational independence could be jeopardised and that politicisation of the police could creep in. Last month Sir Ian Blair, the former Metropolitan police chief who was ousted within hours of Johnson assuming the chairmanship of the now defunct Metropolitan Police Authority, urged voters to boycott the elections because, he said, the role as currently designed was ill-conceived and its scope too vast. There are also concerns that the expected low turnout may cast into doubt the legitimacy of the democratic mandate to hold chief constables to account''

As voting is marked on a map in red-blue-other it has certainly turned political.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/nov/13/police-crime-commissioner-elections-explained

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 10, 2021, 05:41:24 am by wilts rover »

What a waste of money.

By what is being said he declared it and was told it was ok as it was a fine etc  "an old drink driving charge"  is what its being reported as
It should still have been clarified and a total waste even if he doesn't withdraw and won he wouldn't be allowed to take up the post

He has withdrawn. And the count is today.

According to the local press if he wins (and it would be a mighty suprise if he doesn't) then it will be re-run.

You are not allowed to stand for this position if you have ever been found guilty of a crime that could lead to a prison sentence. How did they ever think they would get away with it!

As I said, what a waste of public money.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 10, 2021, 07:00:22 am by SydneyRover »
And now it looks like Patel wants to change the mayoral voting system to FPTP as it appears too many pesky labour people are winning the positions.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 10, 2021, 07:28:53 am by the vicar »

What a waste of money.

He has withdrawn. And the count is today.

According to the local press if he wins (and it would be a mighty suprise if he doesn't) then it will be re-run.

You are not allowed to stand for this position if you have ever been found guilty of a crime that could lead to a prison sentence. How did they ever think they would get away with it!

As I said, what a waste of public money.
who ever wins or won NOTHING WILL CHANGE what so ever

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 10, 2021, 09:15:18 am by selby »
  I returned the voting slip unused with a note that I had no information at all on any of the candidates and felt unqualified to vote for any.
  Being in the East Riding it was the only contested vote we had, there were no local elections, and I have no idea of the result of the PCC result or really care what it was.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 10, 2021, 01:00:13 pm by SydneyRover »
From the comments on here it appears the elected Crime Commissioner process has turned into an unnecessary political shit fight. If people are not interested enough to vote and when they do all they get is another politician it needs kicking into touch.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 10, 2021, 01:25:24 pm by SydneyRover »
Looking for research on the subject I've just found this

''Police and Crime Commissioners: A Dislocated Expectation?''

''This article examines the ability of Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) to hold Chief Constables to account in England and Wales. The research presented here shows that the accountability of Chief Constables to PCCs can have a number of significant strengths. In particular, visibility, frequency, and improved scrutiny. However, this research also draws attention to how the accountability of Chief Constables could be frustrated, administered inconsistently, and be of variable quality. Moreover, the accountability of Chief Constables may be subject to the vagaries of PCCs, including their variable calibre''

https://academic.oup.com/policing/advance-article/doi/10.1093/police/paab012/6253137

PS, go straight to the 'conclusions'
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:08:29 pm by SydneyRover »

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 15, 2021, 02:11:42 pm by essexrover »
For what it's worth I really dont think these positions should be political.
Having Tory/Labour/whoever in charge of policing policy really is asking for trouble. Far too much potential for corruption & favourable policies being set to satisfy whichever side you're on.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 16, 2021, 08:36:28 pm by wilts rover »
£1.4 million the cost to the taxpayer for the Wiltshire PCC re-run in August. Until then we are going to do without one. Will anyone notice?

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/19298132.date-revealed-re-run-wiltshire-pcc-election/

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 17, 2021, 12:30:46 pm by Axholme Lion »
Waste of money in any case. The plod won't turn out any more for proper crimes, burglary, car theft, anti social behaviour any more, however if you call someone a nasty name they'll fire up the helicopter and call out the special patrol group.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 17, 2021, 01:08:06 pm by drfchound »
The CC vote was the only one I didn’t bother putting pen to paper on.I had no idea who any of the candidates were or what they stood for.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 17, 2021, 01:14:10 pm by Axholme Lion »
The CC vote was the only one I didn’t bother putting pen to paper on.I had no idea who any of the candidates were or what they stood for.

They stood for vote me into a well paid job that doesn't require much actual work. I always vote but i gave that one a swerve, there was probably an old black and white film on TV with the OB actually catching some criminals.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012