Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:09:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Impending Royal Wedding  (Read 6218 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:The Impending Royal Wedding
« Reply #30 on November 21, 2010, 07:00:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sandy Lane wrote:
I really can't be fussed about William and Kate.  However, I think it's very sweet that William has given Kate his Mum's ring.  Hopefully it will be a constant reminder for him to love her and look after her well-being and be supportive.  But best wishes to both of them.  Other than that, I think I'd resent footing the bill for the security at the wedding, tho thank goodness Charles and the Queen are paying for it. Royals are good for tourism no doubt, but does the revenue from that offset the cost of maintaining all their homes and lifestyles?  I'm thinking once the queen is gone and a lot of her generation with her, that possibly this monarchy may die a slow death as I don't see any respect being afforded to any of the next generation.  I will admit, however, to being entranced with Diana's wedding back in the day.  But of course the media blitz was much less focused in the US, though it did get a lot of airing.  Sadly, the bad reality show that ensued has left a sour taste in my mouth.  Say what you want about Diana but she was a very public display of what happens to human beings when they are denied love, affection, family support, and friendship. I think that she was basically controlled by her position and relative isolation, hence the eating disorders which occur when people feel so helpless that the only thing they can control is their own food intake.  She may have been considered thick, but she managed to manipulate the press and single-handedly opened the door to a friendlier and more accountable monarchy. Of course I've not had to endure all the press about her since day one that you all have, but I still felt sorry for her. That may be a yank tunnel vision conclusion, -- I don't know, as sometimes I feel like a stranger in both countries.

I think you missed \"education\" out of that list an all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

snods big brother

« Reply #31 on November 21, 2010, 07:23:36 pm by snods big brother »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
Just watching this on BBC News. They've had Prince Charles, Camilla, David Cameron, the lasses parents all giving their two-pennorth and Huw Edwards stood freezing his b*llocks off outside Buckingham Palace.

I'm waiting for them to dig up Winston fcuking Churchill and ask his opinion.

And apparently, she's only a poor middle class lass. She only went to Marlborough College. So. At this rate, in 500 years time, we'll have a Queen who went to Edlo Comp.

Won't be a virgin queen then!  

May I make a suggestion to the happy(?) couple - if your going to give us a day off for the wedding have it on a Monday or Friday - least we can have a long weekend off then

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 22, 2010, 12:27:40 pm by turnbull for england »
re jucy

It's funny, thinking back to the days of Charles and Di's engagement I always found her repulsive,shy/sly looks ect, with Kate I think what a lovely girl.

To quote half man half biscuit ' the nauseating bashfulness of early Diana made me want to go out and commit mass murder'

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 22, 2010, 03:02:25 pm by The Red Baron »
snods big brother wrote:

May I make a suggestion to the happy(?) couple - if your going to give us a day off for the wedding have it on a Monday or Friday - least we can have a long weekend off then

Works for me- although I hear that the Lib Dems are worried that the wedding might be held a bit too close to the date of the referendum on AV- which is due on Thursday 5th May.

Though personally I'd have thought they'd be hoping for the lowest possible turnout for this half-baked voting system. It might get voted in then!

donnyproletarian

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on November 27, 2010, 01:05:32 pm by donnyproletarian »
Just an idea.Seeing that the Yanks love our royalty so much why dont we sell them in a package deal to make some cash .Staring bids on E Bay anyone.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 27, 2010, 01:14:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
donnyproletarian wrote:
Just an idea.Seeing that the Yanks love our royalty so much why dont we sell them in a package deal to make some cash .Staring bids on E Bay anyone.

Nice one. They'd fit in well over there. The Royal Family have right-wing flat-earth views that would make Sarah Palin and the Tea Party look like Tony Benn.

Our next King recently said in an interview, \" I mean, this whole modern world. It's just Sooooo ghastly isn't.\"

Having him in charge should set us up nicely for the challenges if the 21st Century.

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 27, 2010, 01:47:51 pm by Sandy Lane »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
donnyproletarian wrote:

Nice one. They'd fit in well over there. The Royal Family have right-wing flat-earth views that would make Sarah Palin and the Tea Party look like Tony Benn.

Our next King recently said in an interview, \" I mean, this whole modern world. It's just Sooooo ghastly isn't.\"

Having him in charge should set us up nicely for the challenges if the 21st Century.

Nah,they're too high maintenance -- both economically and socially.   ;)

P.S.  We already have enough crazy celebs in addition to our usual lot.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012