Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:53:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: European City Breaks  (Read 3898 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
European City Breaks
« on November 14, 2013, 08:47:16 pm by mushRTID »
Looking for a weekend away in the new year, done all the main ones Barca, Madrid, Dublin, Amsterdam, Prague, Rome.

Dont know too much about the eastern europe cities etc.

Would anybody suggest somewhere different to the above? Also, never been Germany, is Munich the best place for a break?

cheers

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re: European City Breaks
« Reply #1 on November 14, 2013, 08:56:03 pm by Muttley »
Berlin would get my vote - loads of history, great art & architecture, great food, great beer.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 14, 2013, 08:59:54 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I used to love Berlin but that was when it was still East and West Germany.
The trips into the East were a real eyeopener, I suppose its different now though

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 14, 2013, 09:03:16 pm by roversdude »
Try Tallinn mate in Estonia, combination of history and bars
Or nip and see Oslo in Oslo but make time for a trip to longboat museum

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 14, 2013, 09:13:15 pm by not on facebook »
Been all over germany and i would say Stay Well clear Of colonge but
Take a look at Hamburg or Düsseldorf

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 14, 2013, 09:16:11 pm by mushRTID »

whats wrong with cologne?

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 14, 2013, 09:21:25 pm by not on facebook »

whats wrong with cologne?

There is a local beer i Cant recall Its name
 But When i was out there for sweden v England pre match the beer was
Served in these stupid tall thin glasses .tasted shite too

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 14, 2013, 09:32:16 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Duss  is another i like, Kiel although a major port  and perhaps not on the normal touristy bit  I used to have a fantastic time in but that was usually on the lash! 

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 14, 2013, 10:54:50 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Replying to the OP, depending on what you are looking for, Krakow and Budapest are two good cities I really enjoyed

Also I have been very unreliably told that the city in Europe with most bars per 1000 population is.......... Maastricht - a very underrated destination.

Oslo - was that beer Koelsch? I used to like it.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 14, 2013, 11:07:09 pm by not on facebook »
True story about Düsseldorf

Was out in colonge pre match for the sweden v England  game.was with
3 chelsea mates.we had no hotel or diggs in colonge as it was fully booked as was thr near by town whatever it was.

We got a room in a hotel in Düsseldorf,so i plan was to get train from
Colonge to Düsseldorf in time so we could watch the swe v eng game in a pub close to train station.

Gets off the train in Düsseldorf just as game os kicking off,come out Of station and we see a pub and go straight into it.it was quite dark but the tv was on in corner showing england game.

I had the whip so i went straight to bar and got 4 bottles and back to me mates without taking any real notice Of what type Of pub we was in.

It Turned out to be a turkish pub tied to a kebab outlet,and it was not long
Before the pub was full Of local turks looking at us thry all seem to come Throu a door from kebab shop into pub.

A few Of them fronted us and said ....."englisssshhh" we all Stood with our backs to Wall bottles in hand thinking This is the last Of us Here

...."englisssshhh" they said again

Fcuk it i said ...."Yes"

Thrn the turks were all over us like long lost friends ..."englisssshhh
Englisssshhhh. Englisssshhh" they was all shouting.

We could not buy a drink,then the question came up..."are you football
Hooligans " we type Of Brushed the question away and the turks were
Saying " ypu englisssshhh and is turks go outside and fight the germans"

We could not stop laughing to are sens as we honestly all thought we was
All going to Get served up.it was Now half time in tje game and we Made are excuse that we had to find are hotel as we still had are bags.

Quick Shake Of hands all round and we walked down street 3 mins to next pub.

germany had allready quallified that day and This pub was full Of pissed
Up germans on the  lash.we walk in and feal no stress at all ,mates go to back Of pub i go to bar and Get 4 bottles in.

Stood drinking and after about 5mins a few german six footers come upto us with german and sweden half and half flags on....."are you english"

...."Yes we are lads".....

The germans all make a massive Fuss Of us and just like the turkish pub
We Cant buy a drink .then the questions pops up again..."are you football
Hooligans"

We type Of Brush it off Yet again and then the  germans say ..." Ypu englanders and us germans we all go outside and fight with the turkish.."

you could not make it up

I never knew that the germans and turks had so Much hate for each
Other.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 14, 2013, 11:13:34 pm by not on facebook »
Replying to the OP, depending on what you are looking for, Krakow and Budapest are two good cities I really enjoyed

Also I have been very unreliably told that the city in Europe with most bars per 1000 population is.......... Maastricht - a very underrated destination.

I might be that ,but the big give away that it was only served
In these smallish silly shapped Branded glasses and every bar i Seemed
To go in was only selling it.

Found one bar down a side side street some 20 min walk from colonge
Train station as that was mad,far too many english far too many,not our cup tea .the bar we found was bang on good bear and only us 30 english
In it.allways pays to drink Well away from the England hub

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 14, 2013, 11:15:08 pm by Dutch Uncle »
It is a little known fact that officially Turkey was in a state of war with Germany until relatively recently. Turkey declared War on Germany one day before WW2 ended, and were not invited to the peace talks so never made peace. NATO eventually solved this some decades later (a typical timeframe for NATO one might say)

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 14, 2013, 11:32:02 pm by Katesby »
Berlin would get my vote - loads of history, great art & architecture, great food, great beer.

Can't believe you didn't mention the clubbing scene?! the parties start on Friday and end Monday afternoon there, incredible. Been 4 times in 5 months! best city in the world.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 14, 2013, 11:33:46 pm by RedJ »
Pretty pricey last time I went though. Not that it's not worth it. Love Germany.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 14, 2013, 11:39:09 pm by mushRTID »

Can't believe you didn't mention the clubbing scene?! the parties start on Friday and end Monday afternoon there, incredible. Been 4 times in 5 months! best city in the world.

Now your talking!!!!

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 15, 2013, 12:57:08 am by DaveDRFC »
Went to Berlin for my stag do, can't say I remember all the details but had a bloody good time! Would definitely go back again. Also been to Krakow and Budapest as mentioned above, had an awesome time in both. Hamburg as well is a good one, if a little seedy - a bit like Amsterdam but without the reputation!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 15, 2013, 05:05:24 am by roversdude »
If you want relaxed time, bit of culture and beer Bruges takes some beating,  love that place and go a couple of times a year

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 15, 2013, 10:20:19 am by Highland Rover »
My vote is for Berlin , was a great night/weekend out in the old West/East days . I was in the RAF there 1970-73 , only been back once in the late 1980's and would live to revisit , but it seems to be quite expensive .
Best football pitch I ever played on , one of the hockey pitches from the 1936 Olympics and right next to the Olympic stadium .
Oh , and I met my wife there !!!

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 15, 2013, 10:29:08 am by Bald Rover »
look at the hotel Bohema in Bydgoszcz in Poland, amazing hotel and amazing place great people area and food! I went on business and im looking to go back!
http://www.hotelbohema.pl/?lang=en
and you can get that beautiful car to take you back to the airport, I stayed in the Emerald room with jacuzzi and everything, !

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 15, 2013, 11:50:45 am by Katesby »
Pretty pricey last time I went though. Not that it's not worth it. Love Germany.

Really? You must have gone to the wrong area! I went last weekend and the beer was cheaper to buy than water. Can get by for the weekend on 100 euros.

Katesby

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on November 15, 2013, 11:52:47 am by Katesby »

Now your talking!!!!

Selective door policies though for any decent clubs. Went to Berghain last weekend, supposed to be the hardest club to get into in the world. Been sitting on my high horse ever since..

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 15, 2013, 04:38:24 pm by Pintolager »
Another vote here for Budapest - great place and the beer is very cheap £1 a pint and the ruin pubs there are great but the beer is priced about 2.50.

I will be going to Vienna next year, which looks and sounds like a great place.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 15, 2013, 04:42:22 pm by ctay »
Ive got to say I liked Prague. Great for a stag weekend, but also a good place for culture.

I like Germany too, Dortmund, Munster, Emsdetten all good.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 15, 2013, 04:44:44 pm by Sprotyrover »
Just had a week in Berlin,it is not expensive, only got my leg lifted once for a beer and that was on a Tourist hot spot on the River Spree,paid 6 euros for a 0.5 every where else it was about 3.3 to 3.7 euros

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 15, 2013, 04:53:09 pm by RedJ »
To be fair it was a few years ago now - I'm guessing things aren't quite so pricey since the crash.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on November 15, 2013, 05:56:30 pm by Dutch Uncle »
look at the hotel Bohema in Bydgoszcz in Poland, amazing hotel and amazing place great people area and food! I went on business and im looking to go back!
http://www.hotelbohema.pl/?lang=en
and you can get that beautiful car to take you back to the airport, I stayed in the Emerald room with jacuzzi and everything, !

Very interesting that BR

I had a couple of work trips to Bydgoszcz about 10 years ago. It was pretty grey and basic but with a pretty centre with potential, and with real ambitions for investment and development. That seems to have happened then.

The local airport was the old Warsaw Pact/Soviet fighter base, and it had a spanking brand new terminal - but only 2 flights a day at that time - both were to Warsaw and one was horribly early (0600?) and the other very late (2200?). Has that moved on as well?     

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 15, 2013, 06:55:17 pm by drfc1951 »
Been to both Cologne and Frankfurt,would recomend both.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 16, 2013, 06:13:19 am by Donnywolf »

It was Kolsch I suspect and here is an update with photos for him !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_(beer)

Krakow and Budapest both great shouts - and I was surprised nobody threw in Vilnius and Riga (Tallinn did get a vote earlier)

I really likes every one of those 3 and Vilnius you can do from Donny on Wizzair for really cheap prices if you book 3 months ahead

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 16, 2013, 09:18:16 am by roversdude »
I loved Riga but it seemed a bit seedy last time I went
Had a great time in Warsaw
Bratislava and Ljubljana both very nice places with old buildings new shopping places and plenty of bars
Budapest outstanding city and lovely walk along Danube with plenty of bars and cafés - if you go it's well worth going to top of cathedral - I was gobsmacked at the monuments to people killed fighting for freedom not long ago, brings things home

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 16, 2013, 09:23:22 am by mushRTID »
Cheers everyone think im leaning towards budapest or berlin. Best run it past the boss!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012