Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:38:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Breaking Bad  (Read 4270 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Breaking Bad
« on December 20, 2013, 10:34:43 pm by River Don »
I have received a box set of series 1 to 3 as a birthday gift.

I don't normally go in for these US dramas they take a big commitment in time to follow them. However I have been told this series is well worth the effort.

And then there are another 3 series to purchase.

What do you reckon?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ian1980

• Forum Member
Re: Breaking Bad
« Reply #1 on December 21, 2013, 09:52:28 am by ian1980 »
We have just gone through the whole lot on netflix. It's funny in places but very, very slow. I was told it was amazing by a few people but have to say, I was quite disappointed. Probably could have fitted the whole thing into one series.

We watched all the 24 series and that was far better as something was happening all the time where with breaking bad you could go through 2-3 episodes of nothing really happening.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 21, 2013, 10:31:10 am by MachoMadness »
It's a masterpiece, and you could make a strong case for it being the best TV series of all time. It's just genius, the way the story unfolds and the way the characters develop means even in the quieter episodes you're always hooked and the acting is brilliant. You'll be glad you took the plunge once you've watched it, although one thing I will say is that even though the first series is really good, it's a show that just gets better with every series so you won't see fully why people rave about it so much until the end of the 3rd season.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 21, 2013, 11:20:09 am by nightporter »
Same as most US shows that start, get popular then instead of telling us the original story and ending, they just stretch it out as long as they can. 

copps123

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 21, 2013, 09:40:01 pm by copps123 »
I thoroughly enjoyed it. As with pretty much all these tv series, there's an episode or two that felt a bit 'space fillerish'.....no, that is not the technical term  :laugh: overall I thought it was definitely worth watching. It had me hooked.... was gutted when I got to the end! I usually get bored after a while. Just finished watching season 3 of game of thrones...not usually my cup of tea, but so far so good ......just hoping they don't drag it out too long  :unsure:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 23, 2013, 09:24:41 am by Rios »
Just finished watching season 3 of game of thrones...not usually my cup of tea, but so far so good ......just hoping they don't drag it out too long  :unsure:

Game of Thornes is based on seven books, which I think (I haven't read the books) the TV series is roughly on book three.  As with all American TV series as soon as the viewer ratings dip they'll drop it like a hot coal regardless of how far into the story they are.  Some of the UK's most loved series started off hidden away with small niche audiences before gaining popularity.  If they'd been American they'd have sunk without a trace (Firefly anyone?)

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 23, 2013, 01:09:04 pm by ponte_ricky »
breaking bad is like nothing i've ever watched before. the characters are so engaging and watching walter white develop is just mind blowing.

one annoying thing though... walt junior. breakfast eating motherf**ker!

copps123

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 23, 2013, 06:40:27 pm by copps123 »
breaking bad is like nothing i've ever watched before. the characters are so engaging and watching walter white develop is just mind blowing.

one annoying thing though... walt junior. breakfast eating motherf***er!

Haha....breakfast eating m@f@....quality! I love Jessie, his character is fab!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 23, 2013, 06:47:30 pm by River Don »
Well, I've leant it to my parents, who have been watching it compulsively for the last couple of days. I didn't think it would be their cup of tea but they love it.

I'll give it a go.

Heisenberg

« Reply #9 on December 26, 2013, 09:01:46 pm by Heisenberg »
copps how is Mr frost

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 26, 2013, 10:59:06 pm by Jenny »
I've started watching it, almost done with season two now. I find it compelling but emotionally distressing viewing.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 02, 2014, 01:36:43 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
It is amazing, only issue is finding people who have seen it all, don't want to spoil the end for people so can't talk to anyone about it!

Keith Myath

« Reply #12 on January 02, 2014, 01:51:18 pm by Keith Myath »
How you could do Breaking Bad in one series defeats the object, the whole point is Walters slow transition to being bad ass is what engages you and keeps you hooked.

The problem with Game of thrones is he's still writing the books and the writer has no idea when it will end, the guys pushing 70 so even though I have watched the first three seasons, we could be watching it for the next 30 years without any conclusion. For that reason and it largely being shite I wish I'd not bothered but its a great story and the third series was much darker, and has now got me waiting for the next season to do the rounds.

Just watching the last series of Dexter, almost up there with Breaking Bad. Similar narrative, anti-hero trying to right by doing wrong.

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 03, 2014, 10:26:42 am by bigbadjack »
Just can't get into it, plus I don't have the time or patience to stick with it, might give it another go when I retire

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 09, 2014, 12:25:13 am by Jenny »
Just finished season 4, with a 6 episode spree tonight... Compelling viewing that's for sure! I hope season 5 has a lot to offer because it will struggle to top that.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 09, 2014, 10:41:24 am by One_Matty_Lucas »
Just finished season 4, with a 6 episode spree tonight... Compelling viewing that's for sure! I hope season 5 has a lot to offer because it will struggle to top that.

Oh it does Jenny! Just wait and see.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 09, 2014, 12:26:21 pm by MrFrost »
The season 5 episode Ozymandias is the best hour of television you will ever see.

One_Matty_Lucas

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 09, 2014, 02:07:20 pm by One_Matty_Lucas »
The season 5 episode Ozymandias is the best hour of television you will ever see.

10/10 on IMDB from over 43,000 reviews says it all.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 09, 2014, 02:55:33 pm by Jenny »
But that is episode 14, probably a week away from viewing.... Why would you tease me like that :(

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 09, 2014, 07:02:45 pm by ponte_ricky »
i felt that season 5 was necessary but it just really slowed down. Definitely peaked at the end of season 4 though. the last 2 or 3 episodes was some of the most intense television i've ever seen

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 09, 2014, 07:14:49 pm by MrFrost »
Season 5 is very much about Walter. Jesse is barely in the last half.

Looking forward to the Better Call Saul spin off next year, as well as 24 making a come back.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 09, 2014, 07:23:42 pm by Jenny »
That makes me sad. I love Jesse.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 09, 2014, 07:55:10 pm by MrFrost »
Season 5 is very much about Walter. Jesse is barely in the last half.

Looking forward to the Better Call Saul spin off next year, as well as 24 making a come back.

Or should I say this year!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 09, 2014, 09:46:09 pm by MachoMadness »
Season 5 is definitely the best. You really get the sense that everything is building to a finale through the whole season, as a result every episode is an absolute winner. There's barely a second wasted. I agree Ozymandias had my jaw on the floor at several points but I love Dead Freight, but then I'm a sucker for anything heist-related (not wanting to give too much away though).

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 14, 2014, 12:44:35 am by Jenny »
Just watching Ozymandias, wow!

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 14, 2014, 08:32:01 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
One of the best series I've ever seen along with Prison Break. Very tame ending though!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 20, 2014, 10:17:01 am by Jenny »
I finished it at the weekend and I have been left feeling a little empty. Ozymandias was definately the peak of season 5, the last two episodes were good, they tied everything together, but I didn't feel like it was the ending that the series deserved, I thought that the last episode of season 4 would have been a more jaw dropping ending to it all however, can totally see why it went the way it did.

Now, what next?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 20, 2014, 10:23:21 am by RobTheRover »
The Following, anyone?

IC1967

• Forum Member
Breaking Bad
« Reply #28 on March 10, 2014, 02:13:46 pm by IC1967 »
I would thoroughly recommend this American drama. I am currently nearly at the end of the second series and it has been very entertaining. It manages to combine gritty realism with comedy better than anything I've ever watched before. The comedy is very subtle and ironic just the way I like it.

I believe you can get Netflix free for one month which would give you the chance to watch all 5 series without having to spend a penny.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 10, 2014, 02:17:11 pm by MrFrost »
Must be the 5th thread about Breaking Bad on here!
I agree it is fantastic, and the best series ever to grace the small screen.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012