Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:19:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tour de Yorkshire 2016  (Read 7822 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Tour de Yorkshire 2016
« on October 10, 2015, 12:55:04 pm by wilts rover »
All the people who dislike cycling and think cyclists are a nuisance for blocking up the roads are going to have an even more miserable year next year, as Doncaster has been announced as either a start or finish location for a stage of next years TdY.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/tour-de-yorkshire-2016-start-and-finish-towns-revealed-195031?trend=tour-de-yorkshire

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

moses

• VSC Member
Re: Tour de Yorkshire 2016
« Reply #1 on October 10, 2015, 01:27:12 pm by moses »
That's great news

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 10, 2015, 02:52:29 pm by mushRTID »
Brilliant. Just getting into cycling so I'm looking forward to this

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 10, 2015, 03:42:36 pm by RedJ »
I'd love it to be the finish for the last stage.

It probably won't be, mind.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 10, 2015, 04:42:16 pm by Filo »
Remind me not to work that day!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 10, 2015, 04:45:29 pm by dknward2 »
Might need to go away on holiday at least they might repair some potholes

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 10, 2015, 08:12:37 pm by scaley back rover »
With the amount of traffic lights in Donny it could be a bit of a stop start race.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 10, 2015, 08:33:02 pm by Donnywolf »
Ah but did you see that Gary Verity has said "The Borough of Doncaster" ... and when quizzed was asked what that meant as the Borough of Doncaster is a huge area !

He was unmoved and gave  a politicians type answer - i.e. completely "swerving" the question.

That may or may not mean anything but it got me thinking because if they use the Racecourse or Lakeside they are still in Doncaster and I am puzzled as to where else would be big enough although to be fair I did see the Round Britain Race finish at Gretna a few years back and they managed the Race and Crowds perfectly well so look out Robin Hood Airport for a start or finish

Was trying to think of other places of significance and came up with Harworth as the place of residence of Tommy Simpson (not his birthplace) but as its not in the Borough I have had to rule it out and it will be 49 years not 50 since he died on Mont Ventoux. Bawtry however would fit the bill as it has proximity to Harworth

Any others spring to mind for anyone ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:53:13 pm by Donnywolf »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 10, 2015, 09:02:12 pm by wilts rover »
I doubt they will know at the moment, its something the organisers will have to work out with the Council, given its them who would have bid for it. Although a racecourse finish would be fun, make them do a couple of grass laps on slick tyres!

My guess is it will be the start of a leg to Ottley.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 10, 2015, 09:06:50 pm by RedJ »
Nah, sprint finish on Silver Street then pile into Biscuit Billy's.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 10, 2015, 09:18:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wolf

You reckon they'd want to commemorate someone who died on Le Tour whilst pumped full of drug?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 11, 2015, 08:56:04 am by Donnywolf »
Probably not but I think it was a different era. They were all probably doing it then and ultimately it cost him an indefinite "ban". I don't know if they even "banned" anyone back then

Probably reading too much into Borough of Doncaster as well

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 11, 2015, 09:02:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye, but given the recent issues in cycling, I suspect the authorities and sponsors would probably prefer the likes of Simpson to be airbrushed from history.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 11, 2015, 09:49:25 am by wilts rover »
Unless you are Lance Armstrong then cycling tends to be pretty forgiving and Tommy Simpson is still a respected figure in world cycling, in particular British cycling. First British World Champion and First Brit to wear the yellow jersey in the Tour. There is a memorial to him on Mont Ventoux and a lot was made of David Millar winning on Mont Ventoux in 2012, the 35th anniversary of Tommy's death. David Millar the former drug cheat who was selected for the 2012 Olympics and is now a respected cycling commentator on ITV.

As you say Wolfie I doubt they will finish in Haworth, but could certainly pass through there, cycling does like those type of 'chapeau' gestures.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 11, 2015, 05:40:22 pm by Donnywolf »
Yes thanks there Wilts as you have eloquently captured what I was alluding to !

Given Harworth was not TS's birthplace but where he is based and of course is not in the Borough I just fancy they may get as close as possible to there as they can and Bawtry would fit the bill. The "race" IS going to Start or Finish somewhere in "Donny" so Bawtry with a side helping of Harworth would seem plausible

When quizzed on whether Middlebrough was in "Yorkshire" he stated that it was and still is regarded as being in the White Rose County BUT even if not the race could be inclusive of places outside Gods own County in exactly the same way as the TDF visited Yorkshire

Given that statement a visit to Harworth and its environs would also seem "plausible"

Anyone else have ideas of where in "The Borough" could be a contender for starting and / or finishing of TDY and why?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 11, 2015, 08:55:45 pm by drfchound »

I hope it goes through Hatfield then.
I have been trying to get the council to sort out High Street for some time but they say the road isnt scheduled for any work.
I bet none of them drive down there regularly.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 11, 2015, 11:44:14 pm by Filo »

I hope it goes through Hatfield then.
I have been trying to get the council to sort out High Street for some time but they say the road isnt scheduled for any work.
I bet none of them drive down there regularly.

You must be joking, theres temporary traffic lights up near Victoria Hall every other week!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 12, 2015, 09:06:46 am by drfchound »
Filo, that is because they are putting the services into the house that has been built behind the main row of houses (about number 47 i think).
High Street surface is probably as bad as anywhere in the borough.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 12, 2015, 12:14:54 pm by Donnywolf »
If the ever get round to doing it please ask them to use any spare material on the "flyover" leading from the Marina Road to the Borstal Road

That one is un adopted at a guess and nearly impassable now except for the rubbish dumpers  :turd: :turd: :turd:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 12, 2015, 12:37:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if the route will take them through Bentley?  Obviously there would be complications if the floods should return, although I believe Bentley under water is now a thing of the past since the drains were unblocked. That's a shame in some ways. The Venice of South Yorkshire was quite an attraction for TV media, in it's heyday.

Maybe including Halfords on the route could be advantageous for the cyclists, should they require a puncture outfit or a replacement bell of something.

Just a thought.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 12, 2015, 09:35:07 pm by BobG »
:):):)

You never cease to get me chortling BB :)

BobG

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 13, 2015, 12:37:25 pm by Pintolager »
I wonder if the route will take them through Bentley?  Obviously there would be complications if the floods should return, although I believe Bentley under water is now a thing of the past since the drains were unblocked. That's a shame in some ways. The Venice of South Yorkshire was quite an attraction for TV media, in it's heyday.

Maybe including Halfords on the route could be advantageous for the cyclists, should they require a puncture outfit or a replacement bell of something.

Just a thought.

It could be organised for the Flying Scotsman to come through Donny that day and the cyclists wait at Arksey Crossings to watch it go by.....

JimmyW

« Reply #22 on December 09, 2015, 12:47:39 pm by JimmyW »
Hello folks. The route has been announced, with Stage 2 from Otley ending in Donny, on South Parade. More details here:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/09/tour-yorkshire-cycling-men-women-stage

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 09, 2015, 04:13:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
Great that, and would be a good idea to get some Rovers advertising along the road somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:19:44 pm by Copps is Magic »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 09, 2015, 05:22:28 pm by wilts rover »

Given Harworth was not TS's birthplace but where he is based and of course is not in the Borough I just fancy they may get as close as possible to there as they can and Bawtry would fit the bill. The "race" IS going to Start or Finish somewhere in "Donny" so Bawtry with a side helping of Harworth would seem plausible

When quizzed on whether Middlebrough was in "Yorkshire" he stated that it was and still is regarded as being in the White Rose County BUT even if not the race could be inclusive of places outside Gods own County in exactly the same way as the TDF visited Yorkshire

Given that statement a visit to Harworth and its environs would also seem "plausible"

Anyone else have ideas of where in "The Borough" could be a contender for starting and / or finishing of TDY and why?

Spot on Wolfie, Tickhill, Harworth, Bircotes and then Bawtry.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2/map

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 09, 2015, 05:24:08 pm by wilts rover »
Great that, and would be a good idea to get some Rovers advertising along the road somewhere.

Who's up for a 3.00am start to paint red and white lines across South Parade?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 09, 2015, 06:11:04 pm by Donnywolf »

Spot on Wolfie, Tickhill, Harworth, Bircotes and then Bawtry.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2/map

:thumbsup: Thanks for the mention - yes I was right ...  :thumbsup: .... and have just found another "prediction" coming true today - re Half Time Beer being a good idea !!!

I originally implored it in August 2012 .... so I have posted it again today in the relevant thread

So they say things come round in threes so I wonder what next !

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 09, 2015, 06:44:50 pm by Donnywolf »
... AND what about over the River Don at Sprotborough Falls and up that bloody hill with hairpin bends

I cant get up that in the Car  :crying:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on December 09, 2015, 07:26:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good call about Tommy Simpson Wolf.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 09, 2015, 07:49:38 pm by wesisback »
Great news for me living on Bennetthorpe meaning I'll get a great view from the comfort of my bedroom window.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012