Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:44:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Petition to Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the UK  (Read 6231 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ballysbackin

Re: Petition to Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the UK
« Reply #1 on January 29, 2017, 03:23:12 pm by ballysbackin »
Why ?????? He has been invited by HM The Queen...Now she may not like her subjects going against her as it is a State Visit.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 29, 2017, 03:28:06 pm by dknward2 »
Won't change owt sorry to say he will still visit.

Really don't agree with the things he is doing. The worrying thing is he seems to be doing things without thinking

ballysbackin

« Reply #3 on January 29, 2017, 03:42:05 pm by ballysbackin »
I have no time for him or his ideas but the Yanks voted him in so now we have to take the medicine in this world.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 29, 2017, 03:45:45 pm by idler »
Let's have Putin instead or Assad.
There are worse people than him out there. He is the democratically elected head of state voted for in a free election.
However unpalatable he is, he is the leader of the most powerful nation in the world.
Ignoring or snubbing him will solve nothing.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
I have no time for him or his ideas but the Yanks voted him in so now we have to take the medicine in this world.

100% disagree. the USA can vote whoever they want in, but if it affects the rest of us WE DON'T have to suffer him. Whether or not this petition achieves it's aim, at least it will show our government just how many people think Trump should fook right off.

The petition doesn't say we should snub or ignore him, "Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit "

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 29, 2017, 05:05:17 pm by idler »
If a British Prime Minister were refused entry to the US what would we say?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
If a British Prime Minister were refused entry to the US what would we say?

See above - the petition doesn't say we should refuse Trump entry to the UK

ballysbackin

« Reply #8 on January 29, 2017, 05:08:41 pm by ballysbackin »

100% disagree. the USA can vote whoever they want in, but if it affects the rest of us WE DON'T have to suffer him. Whether or not this petition achieves it's aim, at least it will show our government just how many people think Trump should fook right off.

We DO have to suffer him because his mug is always on front sheet of newspapers and on the television and on internet. In this day and age we cannot get away from him. or Brexit..I wish they would just ignore the bloody lot to be honest.  The only good news is that we wake up in a morning

The petition doesn't say we should snub or ignore him, "Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit "

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 29, 2017, 06:14:48 pm by Lipsy »
The fact is that we have a lot of unsavoury butts to kiss if we're going to make anything of this Brexit nonsense. I don't like it at all, but TM's trips this week - and the kind of trade deals we'll have to make in the months and years ahead - are going to become part and parcel of our new future.

So yeah, a big ole' slow handclap for those 17.2 million associate 'kipper members who voted for this shit show.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

293,569 signatures at time of writing

500 293 just now after I signed it

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Nah, just refuse to give the undesirable Kitson a visa and see how he likes it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member

Which of course would be illegal wouldn't it?

IT's his right to do it. Wrong in my opinion but his right to do so. Having said that there are many countries you can't just turn up at and it's no issue. So why this time?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Why ?????? He has been invited by HM The Queen...Now she may not like her subjects going against her as it is a State Visit.

No he hasn't, the Queen has no say or who does or doesn't get a state visit (at least not publically). The government, in this case Theresa May herself, invites them on her behalf. The Queen's role is to act as a host for these visits, a role which she is unable to refuse however much she dislikes the person. I doubt that Idi Amin, Robert Mugabee or Nicolae Ceaucescu would be high up on her list of dinner guests.

Just as the Queen has no say who she can or cannot invite, her subjects do have the right to say and protest against an invited head of state if we feel that person does not act in way that meets British values. If the head of Ruritania were to welcome torture, utter derogatory comments about women and then ban refugees into his/her country in contravention of the Geneva Convention of Human Rights - would they get a free ride around London in a horse drawn carriage and then a nice dinner afterwards? At our expense of course.

Putin came in 2003 btw,

wilts rover

• Forum Member

IT's his right to do it. Wrong in my opinion but his right to do so. Having said that there are many countries you can't just turn up at and it's no issue. So why this time?

Because America is a signatory of the Geneva Refugee Convention and has obligations under that convention. As Angela Merkel explained to President Trump in a phone call whilst Mrs May was unable to do so in person.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/29/merkel-explains-geneva-refugee-convention-to-trump-in-phone-call

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Having said that there are many countries you can't just turn up at and it's no issue. So why this time?

Not sure what you've been reading but he hasn't just put a stop to people who are just "turning up"; he's banned immigrants who have jumped through hundreds of hoops and, in some cases, taken years to get accepted. They're turning people away who have even landed in the US ffs - it's a shambles.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member

How would it be illegal? We can let in who we want and keep out anybody from outside the EU that we decide to - do you think he has some sort of right to enter the UK??

Also, he's just stopped a member of OUR Parliament from being able to travel to the US and visit their son who is studying there...is that illegal as well?

ballysbackin

« Reply #17 on January 29, 2017, 08:41:51 pm by ballysbackin »

No he hasn't, the Queen has no say or who does or doesn't get a state visit (at least not publically). The government, in this case Theresa May herself, invites them on her behalf. The Queen's role is to act as a host for these visits, a role which she is unable to refuse however much she dislikes the person. I doubt that Idi Amin, Robert Mugabee or Nicolae Ceaucescu would be high up on her list of dinner guests.

Just as the Queen has no say who she can or cannot invite, her subjects do have the right to say and protest against an invited head of state if we feel that person does not act in way that meets British values. If the head of Ruritania were to welcome torture, utter derogatory comments about women and then ban refugees into his/her country in contravention of the Geneva Convention of Human Rights - would they get a free ride around London in a horse drawn carriage and then a nice dinner afterwards? At our expense of course.

Putin came in 2003 btw,

My apologies AGAIN but I am only repeating something I did hear on Sky News

ballysbackin

« Reply #18 on January 29, 2017, 08:44:02 pm by ballysbackin »
Does he actually own property in the UK ? ie Golf Course in Scotland

ballysbackin

« Reply #19 on January 29, 2017, 08:55:33 pm by ballysbackin »
Martin Mc Guinness has sat around a table with the Royals. IRA too and then he got elected into the NI Assembly - then we have a go at Trump.  Politics is a very difficult subject indeed, but nobody will listen and again if there are demonstrations the Police will have strict orders to stop it, as will the President's own body guards.. Lost cause if you ask me.....

wilts rover

• Forum Member

Putin came in 2003 btw,

My apologies AGAIN but I am only repeating something I did hear on Sky News

No need to apologise Bally, thanks for giving me the opportunity to post and clarify things.

Yes politics is different and can be an everchanging and slippery beast at times. Northern Ireland, Palestine/Israel and South Africa come to mind straight away over difficult subjects and changing times. But that shouldn't stop us from saying 'that's not right' if that is what we believe. We have a long history of public campaiging for political rights in this country - just as they do in the US - and long may that continue.

Yes he does own a golf course in Scotland. I believe he also has family connections in Scotland as his mother is Scottish.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Yes he does own a golf course in Scotland. I believe he also has family connections in Scotland as his mother is Scottish.

I think he's passed his businesses, such as Trump Golf, to his family members?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Trump Golf?   That sounds like something I'd excel at!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 30, 2017, 06:31:10 am by hoolahoop »
Sadly he can come here and meet up with his fan club of fellow Brexshitters .

This is to be  our future , our great leaders of the past would be turning in their graves.
Wtf have many of you done , you gave this blueprint to Trump in how to quickly control your electorate with blatant lies and then sell your country down the river.

Isolationism will be the keyword in the way both countries approach the world.

Of course the USA can ditch this man and the t**ts throwing ' executive orders' in front of him like confetti . Eventually in  4 years time ( if not before ) they can ditch him and his cronies.

What about the future for us and our children - well  we are stuck with this populism shite possibly for decades...........
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:40:38 am by hoolahoop »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 30, 2017, 08:28:52 am by Filo »
Sadly he can come here and meet up with his fan club of fellow Brexshitters .

This is to be  our future , our great leaders of the past would be turning in their graves.
Wtf have many of you done , you gave this blueprint to Trump in how to quickly control your electorate with blatant lies and then sell your country down the river.

Isolationism will be the keyword in the way both countries approach the world.

Of course the USA can ditch this man and the t**ts throwing ' executive orders' in front of him like confetti . Eventually in  4 years time ( if not before ) they can ditch him and his cronies.

What about the future for us and our children - well  we are stuck with this populism shite possibly for decades...........

Not sure how people who voted for brexit can be blamed for Trump winning the Presidential election. I always thought it was the people of Amerca that voted in that one, not the people of the UK

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 30, 2017, 10:32:34 am by selby »
LIpsy,was that just a little stamp of the feet I noted there?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 30, 2017, 11:20:11 am by RedJ »

Well this definitely isn't just one step above "ner ner you lost"...

ballysbackin

« Reply #27 on January 30, 2017, 11:58:35 am by ballysbackin »
Trump Golf?   That sounds like something I'd excel at!
I can't even win at Crazy Golf ...

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 30, 2017, 12:31:50 pm by Lipsy »

No, I am just utterly appalled that we now have to kiss arse and let the likes of Trump say and do what he wants because we *need* trade deals and friends to make a success of this Brexit business. Our principals and beliefs now take a backseat these days, and it's a sad day when other countries are showing us how it should be done. You might think it's funny, but this arse-kissing spineless thing we have going on at the moment is quite tragic - so much for taking back control, eh?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 30, 2017, 01:01:06 pm by idler »
So we weren't kissing any of our European brother's arses then?
Had Junkers and a few more shown a bit more respect the result would probably have crept the other way.
The politicians on both sides deserve no credit at all for their actions in the campaigns pre-Brexit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012