Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:11:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: b***er - aaagh - sod it. A Speeding Ticket  (Read 4351 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
b***er - aaagh - sod it. A Speeding Ticket
« on May 17, 2017, 06:49:34 pm by Donnywolf »
After 44 years I have got nabbed at 35 in a 30 going into Grimsby on May 10 @ 10.11. I saw the Van but it was facing Cleethorpes and I thought ah ha I will remember that for when I come home

However it must have been copping me going away from it - which I did not realise they did !

So advice for the uninitiated. I have to take a fine of 100 quid and 3 Points or if they decide I fulfil the criteria I can go on a Speed Awareness Course which costs 85 quid

I could opt to go before the Magistrates too

So what do the Panel think ? What are the ramifications Pros/Cons of each and are there Insurance implications too if I opt for the Course

Over to you folks as I suspect there will be some good advice to be had !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keith79

• Forum Member
Re: b***er - aaagh - sod it. A Speeding Ticket
« Reply #1 on May 17, 2017, 06:53:20 pm by keith79 »
that the speed awareness thing and learn from it

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 17, 2017, 07:02:04 pm by Donnywolf »
that the speed awareness thing and learn from it

Well I will learn that I can be "done" from behind in future ! Once in 44 years is I agree once too many and I know why the Van was there now !

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 17, 2017, 07:08:19 pm by idler »
Somebody I know went on one of these courses and asked about the insurance company asking if you had been on one and were then asked by insurers for a quote.
He was told if they ask just hang up and try some other insurer as they don't need to know.
Maybe they only ask the question if you already have points on your license.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 17, 2017, 08:24:23 pm by drfchound »
Take the course.
It is educational and gives you a different view of the consequences of speeding.
Financially it is a benefit too.
Points on your licence means that your insurance renewal price goes up and you have to declare the speeding conviction for ( I think) five years so potentially to have to pay higher premiums for at least five years.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 17, 2017, 08:28:45 pm by mushRTID »
I also got done 47 in a 40, first ticket in 12 years of driving.

Most annoying thing it was on Wheatley hall road a road Iv driven up thousands of times no doubt.

Re the course is it £85 in addition to the £100 fine?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 17, 2017, 08:32:20 pm by drfchound »
Mush, you only pay one or the other.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 17, 2017, 08:35:08 pm by mushRTID »
Cheers mate.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 17, 2017, 08:56:55 pm by BobG »
I got done at 5.30 in the morning in a Bristol suburb last summer. I did the course. It was interesting. It saved 3 points and it saved a few quid. It does mean a morning off work and I doubt very much that it has much lasting impact, but to me it's the sensible option.

BobG

PS Anyone else having a tussle with Parking Eye at the moment?!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 17, 2017, 09:05:20 pm by Filo »
I got done at 5.30 in the morning in a Bristol suburb last summer. I did the course. It was interesting. It saved 3 points and it saved a few quid. It does mean a morning off work and I doubt very much that it has much lasting impact, but to me it's the sensible option.

BobG

PS Anyone else having a tussle with Parking Eye at the moment?!

This is the place to visit for the best advice

http://forums.pepipoo.com

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 17, 2017, 09:07:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I chose to go on the course and was sat next to my wife who also got done on the same stretch of road in the very same week.

It goes on a bit but is quite entertaining.

Regarding your insurance company questioning if you've ever been on a speed awareness course, you don't have to tell them, because it's none of their business!

ballysbackin

« Reply #12 on May 17, 2017, 10:11:54 pm by ballysbackin »
Every body I know that has been given the choice, goes on the course - even a retired Sergeant who was not impressed at the time but enjoyed the course but of course did not tell anyone his previous employment, just to save the blushes and that was 33mph in a 30 in rural Low Burnham near Haxey. (Just info for the Townees)  :P

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 17, 2017, 10:14:43 pm by Filo »
Every body I know that has been given the choice, goes on the course - even a retired Sergeant who was not impressed at the time but enjoyed the course but of course did not tell anyone his previous employment, just to save the blushes and that was 33mph in a 30 in rural Low Burnham near Haxey. (Just info for the Townees)  :P

Thats a bit harsh, thought there was a 10% margin for error with the speed cameras

ballysbackin

« Reply #14 on May 17, 2017, 10:31:25 pm by ballysbackin »
He argued - lost argument . Cameras are absolute. As he said "You can't argue with fkn robots"

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 17, 2017, 10:34:49 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
I did the course because I thought the choice was a no brainer. Had no impact on my insurance. It wasn't a question I had to answer !!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 17, 2017, 10:36:03 pm by RedJ »

Thats a bit harsh, thought there was a 10% margin for error with the speed cameras

10% + 2mph.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 17, 2017, 10:41:37 pm by Filo »

10% + 2mph.

Thats what i thought, and going through average 50mph speed cameras on the motorway I always set the cruise control at 55mph, never been done yet

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 17, 2017, 11:05:00 pm by godlike1 »

10% + 2mph.

Thats what i thought, and going through average 50mph speed cameras on the motorway I always set the cruise control at 55mph, never been done yet

Nope your all wrong, 1where do the speed limit signs say 30ish or 40ish mph the limit is the limit even in an average speed camera zone. If you do more than the speed limit you are at risk of being caught.

I know this because I asked the same question on the speed limit course.

I say do the course every time. Especially as they are considering taking it away as an option.

You will learn some bits that you think you know verbatim but are actually wrong e.g. what is the speed limit on a dual carriageway?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 18, 2017, 12:05:01 am by Bentley Bullet »
When I did my speeding course I learnt that the speed limit on a dual carriageway was 70mph. I thought you could only do 70 mph on a motorway.

So there was me at my speeding awareness course being informed that I'd spent a good part of 30 odd years of driving going too bloody slow!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 18, 2017, 06:36:42 am by Donnywolf »
Many thanks for all the useful stuff. Its perhaps a no brainer - take the Course !

Tidying up a few points raised above - I got done on a Dual Carriageway going into Grimsby where the Speed Limit is 30.

On my info it says Speed Courses are offered at the following Speeds
In a 30 doing 35 to 42 inclusive
In a 40 doing 46 to 53 inclusive
In a 50 doing 57 to 65 inclusive
In a 60 doing 68 to 75 inclusive
In a 70 doing 79 to 86 inclusive

So that ties in in every example with the "add 10% +2" which has been discussed above.

That also seems to prohibit people below 35 -  inferring to me you dont get done below that "10% + 2" at least by Humberside anyway.

One last question if anyone knows / can speculate :

I too set my Cruise Control every time in Roadworks to 51 or 52 just in case the Average Cams are "keen" and I will have to have my wits about me now because having been caught once those lower limits e.g. up to 35 in a 30 might not apply to me any more ? The APNR will know who has and who hasnt been done before do you think ?

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 18, 2017, 07:30:17 am by Crowle Rover »
Been done twice and done the course twice.

If you take the course and get caught again in the next 3 years you will get a fine,course not an option then.

My second offence was 3 years 6 months after the initial one

It's not too bad actually and I too didn't realise you could go 70mph on a dual carriageway until I did the course.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 18, 2017, 07:35:36 am by Donnywolf »
I chose to go on the course and was sat next to my wife who also got done on the same stretch of road in the very same week.

It goes on a bit but is quite entertaining.

Regarding your insurance company questioning if you've ever been on a speed awareness course, you don't have to tell them, because it's none of their business!

You foxed me there as I was waiting for the punchline ! I read it twice to make sure !

I remember reading your Haircut one that time several times before "getting it".

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 18, 2017, 07:55:19 am by Highland Rover »
 Got one Saturday morning , on the B1206 Brigg Road , another van . That will be my 3rd in 30 years !!!

Tqlk about a boy racer !!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 18, 2017, 08:54:10 am by drfchound »
Been done twice and done the course twice.

If you take the course and get caught again in the next 3 years you will get a fine,course not an option then.

My second offence was 3 years 6 months after the initial one

It's not too bad actually and I too didn't realise you could go 70mph on a dual carriageway until I did the course.

Not 100% correct there CrowleRover.
When you get the letter offering you the course it says "if you have attended one of our courses in the last three years you are not able to select this option".
I got a second one inside six months of the first.
The first one was with SY Police but the second was with Humberside Police.
As the first one was with a different Force i played dumb and applied to go on the Humberside one as the first had not been "one of their courses".
I was accepted.

To add to previous posts, my first one was a 37 in a 30 zone and the second a 46 in a 40 zone.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 18, 2017, 09:43:40 am by idler »
Both my wife and a mate got done by the same camera in Bradford doing 34 in a 30.
The mate was a civilian working for the police and was told 33 would have been ok.
I'll ask the youngest step-daughter as she works for the dept. that issues the tickets.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 18, 2017, 10:28:23 am by Bentley Bullet »
I should really have a bigger chip on my shoulder than I actually have concerning traffic police but despite two or three miscarriages of justice I've experienced with them over the years, it shows that I'm not the type of guy to hold a grudge.

On one occasion, about 40 years ago, I was driving up Zetland road, towards Thorne road, when a police car sped up behind me with flashing lights. There was cars either side of the road, meaning it couldn't overtake me. As the police car got closer and closer to my rear bumper I realised I was in his way, so I accelerated in order to move into a gap I noticed was available further up the road.

Next thing, as I pulled into the gap, instead of overtaking me the police car pulled in behind me. The policeman then gave me a ticket for speeding!

Explaining to him that I only sped up to allow him to pass, he said: "Aye, that's what they all say"!

On another occasion around the same time, I was driving through Stainforth at night, during the power cuts. I saw a policeman shining his torch onto the pavement. Wondering if he'd dropped something and was looking for it, I reversed back and asked him if my headlights could assist his search.

"No", he said, "but you've just reversed down a one-way street", and proceeded to give me a ticket!

Coppers didn't half exploit young'ens back in them days.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 18, 2017, 11:39:32 am by godlike1 »
When I did my speeding course I learnt that the speed limit on a dual carriageway was 70mph. I thought you could only do 70 mph on a motorway.

So there was me at my speeding awareness course being informed that I'd spent a good part of 30 odd years of driving going too bloody slow!

The answer is that it depends. If there are street lights and no repeaters it's 30mph. If there are streetlights and 40mph repeaters its 40mph. Its only 70 if there are either repeaters or no streetlights. It is also only a dual carriageway way if there is a raised central area.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 18, 2017, 12:03:45 pm by idler »
A lad that I worked with in Leeds got done in a 40 zone.
He measured the distance between the lamp posts and 40 mph signs and apparently they were spaced too far apart.
He got away with it and it was reported in the Yorkshire Post that they were wondering how many previous speedsters would appeal.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 19, 2017, 11:30:32 pm by BobG »
Thank you Filo. I had looked around the net but hadn't come across that site.

I ignored the soft buggers at first but when they persisted, as the rules have changed a bit, I sent them the AA ticket I got once they'd repaired the old jalopy. Almost empty car park, 10 o'clock at night, sodding big AA van parked right by me and they did me for staying 30 minutes longer than the allowed 2 hours. On some other site I found a very detailed draft letter to send to these people designed to force them to do a load of work to comply with the exact regs. I'm awaiting their response....

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012