Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:38:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Getting the cane or slipper at school > what's your stance ?  (Read 8193 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Iam sure that it got outlawed back in 1982 ,but Iam sure somebody will correct me.

1982 was just after I left St. Peter's high .

I be honest and put me hands up or out and addmit that i have been given the cane and well deserved when I think about it.

I did not enjoy it and was never in a rush to return for anymore,but overtime I was back in for more.

Suppose there are more than enough on here that passed throu school back then without ever getting the cane ,which adds weight to my question >

What harm did it do in taking it away?

I will put it too the VSC kangaroo hanging court that it's done far more harm than good taking away the cane from our schools .

I have yet to read or hear that some fcuker went on to be a total outcast in society due to be given the cane too much at school or whatever other form of  backhand treatment served during school.

Bring it back I say by the bucket load ,looking at the state of all our schools today .

If I had the choice of where I could send my kids to a school that was able to give out such punishment after conversing with me first I would have no issues.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Ps

I have drawn up a list in my head of who would be for or against such a school.

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Getting the cane or slipper at school > what's your stance ?
« Reply #2 on June 18, 2017, 08:57:58 pm by Filo »
Bring back the cane everyday of the week, kids today are like they are because they know they can't be touched

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
 :that:

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Filo  it's not just the kids today thou is it ,as you would have to deal with the screaming parents aswell.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 18, 2017, 09:17:28 pm by idler »
I got caned,slippered, hit with the board ruler or whatever in my first year at Oswin Ave.
One teacher had a riding crop and the science teacher us a two foot long piece of rubber pipe.
I didn't enjoy it but it didn't do me any harm.
All pupils took the punishment generally without moaning or telling their parents.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
I got caned,slippered, hit with the board ruler or whatever in my first year at Oswin Ave.
One teacher had a riding crop and the science teacher us a two foot long piece of rubber pipe.
I didn't enjoy it but it didn't do me any harm.
All pupils took the punishment generally without moaning or telling their parents.

If you told your parents the chances are you'd cop it again

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 18, 2017, 09:30:47 pm by idler »
Exactly. I was daft enough to get punished for silly things but not daft enough to risk any extra.
I knew that I wouldn't get any sympathy anyway.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Why was the cane banned as I don't ever recall reading about any pupil seriously getting injured from the cane .

I recall getting picked up by my whatever side burns I had onto my tip toes by a games teacher after I did whatever .

The fact that I recall having it done to me but I can't recall what for says it all I guess .

I do recall the massive shout of 'YOU BOY ' before he lifted me up to my tip toes .

When I hear about the shit that teachers go throu today they must have non breaking points as I certianly would have picked up
 Numerous little t**ts girls/Boys today by the sideburns without twitching a eye lid.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 18, 2017, 10:19:31 pm by tommy toes »
Bringing back the cane is pointless.
It did no good.
I got it a few times at Percy's.
All it did was impress your mates and made you more popular with the girls.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 18, 2017, 10:26:40 pm by bpoolrover »
To many power happy teachers and perverts around, not sure violence helps anyway

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 18, 2017, 10:36:11 pm by tommy toes »
I got dragged by the sideburns too. God that hurt.
Worst though was when Mr Brooks caught me scratching summat into a desk. He whacked me round the head, knocking me off my chair. I banged my head on the floor. I swear I was seeing stars for the rest of the day.
Christ if that happened now he'd be locked up.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 18, 2017, 10:56:25 pm by Draytonian III »
I had a Geography teacher who used to " Toby-Knock " anyone who missed behaved. A Toby - Knock was a clenched fist with the middle finger slightly raised, he hit you on top of the head.  About a 20 or so years later he was in my local giving off about something that I'm involved in and made a nasty/uniformed comment. I was no longer a 14 year old school boy and he nearly shit himself as I pinned him to the bench seat by pushing the table towards him.
So step forward the owner of the antiques shop at Dunham on Trent.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 19, 2017, 08:08:40 am by drfchound »
Cane or slipper?
I had both in my school days.
The cane hurt the most but in reality, as others have said, it made you not want to go back for more so from a disciplinary aspect it worked.
No lasting effects either.

Someone else mentioned a riding crop, i have since had some of that but that isn't for discussion on here.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Punishing kids like this doesn't work, it's all bollox. How many kids were caned or slippered more than once? From my memory loads of them. It was almost always the same kids over and over again. This seems to clearly suggest that it's no deterrent at all.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 19, 2017, 08:38:07 am by NickDRFC »
In the first post NoF says "I did not enjoy it and was never in a rush to return for anymore,but overtime I was back in for more." I'm too young to have experienced it but doesn't sound like it was that effective to me.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
The cane should stay in history along with public flogging, the stocks and lunatic asylums.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
In the first post NoF says "I did not enjoy it and was never in a rush to return for anymore,but overtime I was back in for more." I'm too young to have experienced it but doesn't sound like it was that effective to me.

I got the cane 4 times when I was at St. Peter's high school ,from year one to my final year.

3 times i agree that I deserved it ,and one time where  this day I still think WTF how did I get the cane for that > I was miming the Latin singing that we was doing in HTA < head teachers assembly .

The song went > Avay Avay Avay Maria > fcuking Catholics

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 19, 2017, 09:59:07 am by RedJ »
I'm against it purely because it doesn't seem to have made any difference judging by the amount of people who've told me they got it telling me they got it regularly...

not on facebook

• Forum Member
There was the kids that seemed to be up there all the time getting the cane ,but the question that needs to be asked how many pupils did the cane keep in check.

I would say me for starters .

One thing is for certian you did not have the lightweight parents comming down to the school screaming blue murder if they found out that their kid got the cane .

Most dads back then would have shown no pitty on you at all and mire than likely dished some more punishment onto you.

I never told my parents that I got the cane because I knew I had done wrong

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 19, 2017, 11:04:47 am by RedJ »
I think teachers do need stronger powers to discipline - what powers exactly, I don't know - but I don't think the answer is beatings.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 19, 2017, 11:34:34 am by idler »
Talking during a lesson meant the cane even it was a couple of whispered words. How many kids did that keep quiet?
Sloppy work or not doing homework, that could mean the cane.
How many improved their work and getting it in on time.
Fighting in the playground.
My mate didn't fancy running for the school team, he invented a job at the co-op in Hexthorpe as an excuse. The games master rung them up and next day he got three of the best for telling lies.
One day in games we ran to Hexthorpe flats. We were told to run across an open space to the far side and round a tree to come back. After the faster runners had gone round a few started doubling back before the tree. The games master was some distance away out of sight watching fron the railway bridge.
When we got back all those who hadn't completed the full course got the slipper.
The one thing pupils did have was respect in those days.
If not for the teacher, respect for the position.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
I think teachers do need stronger powers to discipline - what powers exactly, I don't know - but I don't think the answer is beatings.

Getting the cane could  of really be classed as a beating redj ,it was never that brutal.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Talking during a lesson meant the cane even it was a couple of whispered words. How many kids did that keep quiet?
Sloppy work or not doing homework, that could mean the cane.
How many improved their work and getting it in on time.
Fighting in the playground.
My mate didn't fancy running for the school team, he invented a job at the co-op in Hexthorpe as an excuse. The games master rung them up and next day he got three of the best for telling lies.
One day in games we ran to Hexthorpe flats. We were told to run across an open space to the far side and round a tree to come back. After the faster runners had gone round a few started doubling back before the tree. The games master was some distance away out of sight watching fron the railway bridge.
When we got back all those who hadn't completed the full course got the slipper.
The one thing pupils did have was respect in those days.
If not for the teacher, respect for the position.

You have hit the nail on the head with them four words ' respect in those days'

Iam getting info from a mate who's daughter goes to a school in downtown oslo and it seems that there are some right problem kids in her class.

They bascially are telling the teacher to fcuk off whilst in class ffs.then there is a mess as poor teacher try's to get the class back,in order and it's my mates daughter who is well behaved and don't break rules who is missing teaching time.

You can see where this is going

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
I got the Dunlop Green Flash across my arse from one teacher in primary school, in front of the whole class.  After that, I often teetered on the line between mischievousness and full blown misbehaviour, but I knew where that line was and I didn't cross it

not on facebook

• Forum Member
So what happens to a pupil who has stepped over the said line today .

They can't get the cane or a Dunlop green flash across their backsides ,a sideburns tug or blackboard rubber launched at them .

Can the teacher shout at them I ask?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 19, 2017, 02:13:43 pm by drfchound »
mmmm, maybe not NOF, that would probably be classed as verbal assault by the human rights lot.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
I could be wrong here but if a pupil is allways crossing that line today and been destructive woulc I be correct in saying that said bratt will be taken out of the school ?

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 19, 2017, 02:35:20 pm by CrippyCooke »
The physical punishment or beating of a child by a school or teacher is fundamentally disgusting. It's absolutely laughable that anyone would call for it to be reintroduced.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 19, 2017, 02:39:58 pm by RedJ »

Getting the cane could  of really be classed as a beating redj ,it was never that brutal.

beating
ˈbiːtɪŋ/Submit
noun
a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.

And it sounds to me like people were hit more than one time with the cane. So, it is a beating.

So what happens to a pupil who has stepped over the said line today .

They can't get the cane or a Dunlop green flash across their backsides ,a sideburns tug or blackboard rubber launched at them .

Can the teacher shout at them I ask?

Yes obviously teachers are allowed to shout, which is something I agree with, despite being a supposed member of the "human rights lot".

TinyPortal © 2005-2012