Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:01:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Getting the cane or slipper at school > what's your stance ?  (Read 8195 times)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
I think teachers do need stronger powers to discipline - what powers exactly, I don't know - but I don't think the answer is beatings.

Getting the cane could  of really be classed as a beating redj ,it was never that brutal.

beating
ˈbiːtɪŋ/Submit
noun
a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.

And it sounds to me like people were hit more than one time with the cane. So, it is a beating.

So what happens to a pupil who has stepped over the said line today .

They can't get the cane or a Dunlop green flash across their backsides ,a sideburns tug or blackboard rubber launched at them .

Can the teacher shout at them I ask?

Yes obviously teachers are allowed to shout, which is something I agree with, despite being a supposed member of the "human rights lot".

When you get a beating you have no choice as the kicks and punches just rain down on you > that's a beating.

When you got the cane ,you knew why you was getting it and you had to place your arm out in acceptance that you was going to get the cane.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

CrippyCooke

• Forum Member
Re: Getting the cane or slipper at school > what's your stance ?
« Reply #31 on June 19, 2017, 03:11:35 pm by CrippyCooke »
I think teachers do need stronger powers to discipline - what powers exactly, I don't know - but I don't think the answer is beatings.

Getting the cane could  of really be classed as a beating redj ,it was never that brutal.

beating
ˈbiːtɪŋ/Submit
noun
a punishment or assault in which the victim is hit repeatedly.

And it sounds to me like people were hit more than one time with the cane. So, it is a beating.

So what happens to a pupil who has stepped over the said line today .

They can't get the cane or a Dunlop green flash across their backsides ,a sideburns tug or blackboard rubber launched at them .

Can the teacher shout at them I ask?

Yes obviously teachers are allowed to shout, which is something I agree with, despite being a supposed member of the "human rights lot".

When you get a beating you have no choice as the kicks and punches just rain down on you > that's a beating.

When you got the cane ,you knew why you was getting it and you had to place your arm out in acceptance that you was going to get the cane.

Semantics.

Of the empirical research into the "benefits" of physical punitive measures in response to criminality or rule-breaking, you'll struggle to find much, if anything at all, which substantiates the opinion that the physical punishment of school children or rule-breakers achieves anything.

Further, the past decade or so has seen significant numbers of historical cases of child sexual abuse come to light with a number of these having taken place in faith or boarding schools. I've no doubt that offending of this nature is currently on-going. While I'm digressing from the original point somewhat, allowing an environment to exist in which children can be physically hit or beaten as a means of control would be simply horrifying and would possess the potential to be hugely damaging to vulnerable children.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:13:53 pm by CrippyCooke »

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 27, 2017, 06:48:41 pm by George Carter »
I got the cane plenty of times... I remember this one teacher,, Mr Richardson,, chemistry teacher right boring old fella who was straight laced as they come,, used to give it out regularly and take delight in it. Think most of us were scared stiff of his lessons but he still used to find reasons to use it on you and it wasn't always just once either...

Don;t think a parent of anyone in my class ever raced down to school to have a go at him about it which tells you a lot..

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
I taught in a Tottenham secondary school for 13 years including when the Broadwater Farm riots were on. I also did the same amount of time in Bramley Leeds - not the easiest area - and never hit a kid once. If you are honest and decent with anyone of any age, colour or creed that is how you get their respect. You do not get it by using a big stick. Children who are beaten often do the same to their children unfortunately and the whole sorry tale just goes on and on.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
Here's a quote for you nof

“To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.”

― Abraham H. Maslow

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Here's a quote for you nof

“To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.”

― Abraham H. Maslow

I will raise you with my quote > hard as nails easy to hammer in

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 28, 2017, 01:19:25 am by hoolahoop »
Got both from the age of 8/9 before that it was the ruler on my hands .

Ruler, slipper, cane can take it all if you're from Donny  ;). Hated that damn Ruler oh and blackboard rubber the meanest of all if on target ( it usually was ! )

George Carter

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 28, 2017, 01:25:44 am by George Carter »
Got both from the age of 8/9 before that it was the ruler on my hands .

Ruler, slipper, cane can take it all if you're from Donny  ;). Hated that damn Ruler oh and blackboard rubber the meanest of all if on target ( it usually was ! )

Slipper used to be an absolute fcuker when you got it round back of the head.. Mrs higgins weapon of choice before she took early retirement ( I think).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012