Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:03:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World book day  (Read 3660 times)

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
World book day
« on March 07, 2019, 02:16:17 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
Any other keen readers out there ? What sort of stuff do you like to read ? Some of my recent favourites have been

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
Sapiens and Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari
The Harrogate Crime Series by Malcolm Hollingdrake
The Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: World book day
« Reply #1 on March 07, 2019, 03:18:37 pm by Axholme Lion »
The british library crime classic reissues from the 1930s are generally very good if you like the golden age of crime.
I've recently finished 'The Moonstone', and previous to that 'The Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins, both of which were very long but excellent reads. The short ghost stories by M.R.James are also very good.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 07, 2019, 04:28:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I love the Flashman books of George Macdonald Fraser.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 07, 2019, 05:19:05 pm by Nudga »
The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 07, 2019, 05:22:12 pm by The Red Baron »
The british library crime classic reissues from the 1930s are generally very good if you like the golden age of crime.
I've recently finished 'The Moonstone', and previous to that 'The Woman in White' by Wilkie Collins, both of which were very long but excellent reads. The short ghost stories by M.R.James are also very good.

I have a collection of the M. R. James stories that I read periodically. "A Warning to the Curious" is one of the best ghost stories ever written. It was adapted for TV some years ago and although they changed the plot a bit they really did it justice.

You can watch it on YouTube. Well worth it if you have an hour to spare.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SoVu_BRCSS0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:48:22 pm by The Red Baron »

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 07, 2019, 05:53:04 pm by drfc1951 »
Edward Marston The Railway Detective series set in Victorian times.Ihave read about 8 of these books and always a good read.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 07, 2019, 05:53:39 pm by drfchound »
My favourite reading is autobiographies and biographies of people I am interested in.
Generally I buy books about sports people, particularly footballers and cricketers,from charity shops.
I have read others about business people, notably Alan Sugar and Richard Branson.
Currently on Tom Finneys life story.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:24:12 pm by drfchound »

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 07, 2019, 09:20:57 pm by Geoff Blakesley »

I have a collection of the M. R. James stories that I read periodically. "A Warning to the Curious" is one of the best ghost stories ever written. It was adapted for TV some years ago and although they changed the plot a bit they really did it justice.

Will watch that thanks. Another favourite is John Boyne of 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' but my favourite of his is ' Munity on the Bounty' - a fabulous re-telling of the tale. Oh and if you haven't read it ' The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak is a real classic.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 07, 2019, 10:39:16 pm by Draytonian III »
The best player you never saw , Robin Friday

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 08, 2019, 08:29:15 am by tommy toes »
I read any book I can find about British History. Some great writers out there who cover everything from the dark ages to WWII.
As for fiction I discovered Matt Haig recently and have read all his books, which are absolutely brilliant.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 08, 2019, 08:52:08 am by Axholme Lion »

A lot of these were adapted by the bbc in the seventies and are available on dvd.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 08, 2019, 01:55:14 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
I read any book I can find about British History. Some great writers out there who cover everything from the dark ages to WWII.
As for fiction I discovered Matt Haig recently and have read all his books, which are absolutely brilliant.

Not read any Matt Haig. Which would you recommend I start with Tommy toes ?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 08, 2019, 02:19:56 pm by tommy toes »
Hi Geoff
My favourite is 'How to Stop Time'
It's about a bloke who ages very slowly, looks about 40 but is actually 500+ and how he copes with it with the 'help' of a society of people like him.
Apparently Benedict Cumberbatch has bought the film rights and is currently making it.

The Humans and The Radleys are both great reads too.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 08, 2019, 03:20:54 pm by Axholme Lion »
Hi Geoff
My favourite is 'How to Stop Time'
It's about a bloke who ages very slowly, looks about 40 but is actually 500+ and how he copes with it with the 'help' of a society of people like him.
Apparently Benedict Cumberbatch has bought the film rights and is currently making it.

The Humans and The Radleys are both great reads too.

Sounds like 'Lost Horizon' by James Hilton, another good 'un.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 08, 2019, 03:49:08 pm by tommy toes »
Edward Marston The Railway Detective series set in Victorian times.Ihave read about 8 of these books and always a good read.
Each to his own, but I tried to read one of Marstons railway books and it was the most laughably bad old pot boiler I've ever looked at.
From the same genre, Andrew Martins Railway Detective novels aren't bad.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 08, 2019, 03:51:05 pm by MachoMadness »
Started reading Dune yesterday. Never read it before so I'm looking forward to it.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 08, 2019, 05:38:02 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My favourite reading is autobiographies and biographies of people I am interested in.
Generally I buy books about sports people, particularly footballers and cricketers,from charity shops.
I have read others about business people, notably Alan Sugar and Richard Branson.

One of the best I have read is 'My Father, and other Working-Class Football Heroes' by Gary Imlach. It gives the whole social history of how the life was for footballers before the maximum wage was lifted.

Another great book which interweaves social history and evolving football tactics and formations is 'Inverting the Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson

And another book combining football and its effect on everyday life worldwide is the slightly off the wall but very interesting 'How Soccer Explains the World' by Franklin Foer

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 08, 2019, 05:40:39 pm by drfchound »

One of the best I have read is 'My Father, and other Working-Class Football Heroes' by Gary Imlach. It gives the whole social history of how the life was for footballers before the maximum wage was lifted.

Another great book which interweaves social history and evolving football tactics and formations is 'Inverting the Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson

And another book combining football and its effect on everyday life worldwide is the slightly off the wall but very interesting 'How Soccer Explains the rWorld' by Franklin Foer

Not read any of those DU, I will scour the charity shops for them.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 08, 2019, 05:52:21 pm by roversdude »
The best player you never saw , Robin Friday

Another vote for this

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 08, 2019, 06:06:36 pm by tommy toes »
Does anyone want this.....

'Cricket' by Douglas Jardine. 1936.
It's a sort of tutorial of the game and is full of illustrations of great players of the time.
It's tatty but free to a good home, I'll post it. PM me if anyone wants it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:13:12 pm by tommy toes »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 08, 2019, 09:02:18 pm by idler »
PM sent.
Luckily not Theresa May. 😳

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 08, 2019, 09:36:49 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
me please tommy/ like a bit of bodyline

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 08, 2019, 10:12:52 pm by tommy toes »
Soz Geoff. Idler got in first. If I come across summat similar you can have that.

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 08, 2019, 10:22:21 pm by drfcdrfc »

I had to re read each chapter when I'd finished it. Became lost in it

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 08, 2019, 10:50:36 pm by The Red Baron »
Douglas Jardine is one of my favourite cricketers.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 09, 2019, 08:29:13 am by wilts rover »

And another book combining football and its effect on everyday life worldwide is the slightly off the wall but very interesting 'How Soccer Explains the World' by Franklin Foer

In a similar vein 'The Numbers Game' by Chris Anderson, a look at the statistics of football, explains why we rarely score from corners.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 09, 2019, 08:32:11 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

I tried it, was enjoying it but I couldn't keep up. May try again 1 day when I've got more time to commit to it.

Game of Thrones are brilliant, if you like that sort of thing. God knows when Martin will release the last 2 but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 09, 2019, 09:13:29 am by Not Now Kato »
I've moved away from many of the 'mainstream' writers of late and have been enjoying some 'newer' authors.

The Gray series of books by Alan McDermott are well written and have a sense of realism which I enjoyed.

The Lakeland Murders series of books by JJ Salkeld are also well written, though the last book in the series was crazily out of sequence for some strange reason.  I enjoyed these particularly as they are set in the Lake District and took me back to places I visited and walked in my youth.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 09, 2019, 01:07:51 pm by Dutch Uncle »

In a similar vein 'The Numbers Game' by Chris Anderson, a look at the statistics of football, explains why we rarely score from corners.

There is quite a bit about this man in Inverting the Pyramid Wilts, including his influence on many people including Graham Taylor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reep

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 09, 2019, 01:34:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »

I tried it, was enjoying it but I couldn't keep up. May try again 1 day when I've got more time to commit to it.

Game of Thrones are brilliant, if you like that sort of thing. God knows when Martin will release the last 2 but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

I have been a huge Tolkien fan for more than 50 years, so I love the Silmarillion for what it is, showing glimpses of Tolkien's pre- LoTR world. However it was unfinished when he died and his son Christopher put in a colossal amount of work to collate and try to make consistent many decades' worth of his father's notes. The first 90% of the book is deep and brilliant, and then the ending is so abridged and sudden that I was left thinking simply of the tragedy that JRRT died before he finished it.

Of JRRT's unfinished works published by Christopher Tolkien for me the best is 'The Children of Hurin', a self contained book of an expanded version of one of the many stories in the Silmarillion. Truly brilliant and I would recomend it if the Silmarillion is too hard going.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012