Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:35:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World book day  (Read 3661 times)

Nudga

• Forum Member
Re: World book day
« Reply #30 on March 09, 2019, 02:32:52 pm by Nudga »
The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien

I had to re read each chapter when I'd finished it. Became lost in it

I tried it, was enjoying it but I couldn't keep up. May try again 1 day when I've got more time to commit to it.

Game of Thrones are brilliant, if you like that sort of thing. God knows when Martin will release the last 2 but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

I have been a huge Tolkien fan for more than 50 years, so I love the Silmarillion for what it is, showing glimpses of Tolkien's pre- LoTR world. However it was unfinished when he died and his son Christopher put in a colossal amount of work to collate and try to make consistent many decades' worth of his father's notes. The first 90% of the book is deep and brilliant, and then the ending is so abridged and sudden that I was left thinking simply of the tragedy that JRRT died before he finished it.

Of JRRT's unfinished works published by Christopher Tolkien for me the best is 'The Children of Hurin', a self contained book of an expanded version of one of the many stories in the Silmarillion. Truly brilliant and I would recomend it if the Silmarillion is too hard going.   

I've also got The Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales, both really good but the layers in The Silmarillion means that you could read it 4 or 5 times and you discover something new each time as it makes more sense when you read it back.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 09, 2019, 03:38:18 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien

I had to re read each chapter when I'd finished it. Became lost in it

I tried it, was enjoying it but I couldn't keep up. May try again 1 day when I've got more time to commit to it.

Game of Thrones are brilliant, if you like that sort of thing. God knows when Martin will release the last 2 but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

I have been a huge Tolkien fan for more than 50 years, so I love the Silmarillion for what it is, showing glimpses of Tolkien's pre- LoTR world. However it was unfinished when he died and his son Christopher put in a colossal amount of work to collate and try to make consistent many decades' worth of his father's notes. The first 90% of the book is deep and brilliant, and then the ending is so abridged and sudden that I was left thinking simply of the tragedy that JRRT died before he finished it.

Of JRRT's unfinished works published by Christopher Tolkien for me the best is 'The Children of Hurin', a self contained book of an expanded version of one of the many stories in the Silmarillion. Truly brilliant and I would recomend it if the Silmarillion is too hard going.   

Duly noted. Thank you!

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 10, 2019, 02:46:21 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I read any book I can find about British History. Some great writers out there who cover everything from the dark ages to WWII.
As for fiction I discovered Matt Haig recently and have read all his books, which are absolutely brilliant.

You might enjoy a WW2 book I thoroughly enjoyed recently -  'Operation Mincemeat' by Ben MacIntyre. It researches and tells the 1943 true story of the British leaving a dead body with fake ID and fake Allied invasion papers to float near a Spanish beach, where they knew it would reach German Intelligence. The level of detail 'proving' identity etc  persuaded Hitler to move forces to defend Greece and Sardinia and leave Sicily far less defended when the Allies invaded there.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 10, 2019, 06:58:05 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
I enjoyed the 1956 film ' The man who never was' about the same event. Well worth watching if you get the chance.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 11, 2019, 05:09:10 pm by ravenrover »
I read any book I can find about British History. Some great writers out there who cover everything from the dark ages to WWII.
As for fiction I discovered Matt Haig recently and have read all his books, which are absolutely brilliant.

You might enjoy a WW2 book I thoroughly enjoyed recently -  'Operation Mincemeat' by Ben MacIntyre. It researches and tells the 1943 true story of the British leaving a dead body with fake ID and fake Allied invasion papers to float near a Spanish beach, where they knew it would reach German Intelligence. The level of detail 'proving' identity etc  persuaded Hitler to move forces to defend Greece and Sardinia and leave Sicily far less defended when the Allies invaded there.
Can I recommend books by Andrew Bamford on military history I've read every one he has written

I proof read for him he's my son  ;)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on March 11, 2019, 08:58:44 pm by idler »

Can I recommend books by Andrew Bamford on military history I've read every one he has written

I proof read for him he's my son  ;)
No relation to Patrick Bamford?
He could put a word in.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 13, 2019, 04:16:13 pm by ravenrover »
keep telling everyone he is my nephew, most believe me

TinyPortal © 2005-2012