Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:24:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pathetic cowards  (Read 2508 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: Pathetic cowards
« Reply #30 on October 28, 2022, 11:06:08 pm by wilts rover »
The best way to protest would be for players to refuse to go to Qatar.

It's a lot easier to get publicity for a cause/highlight an issue by doing something than not doing it.

I agree, that is why I suggested that players should refuse to go to Qatar.

But refusing to go then no-one is going to talk to you about it. No-one talks to the people who are not at a protest.

If you are there then you are going to have plenty of opportunities to highlight what you believe is wrong (or right). People are going to be talking about you to the billions watching.

Wilts, I see it being more of a statement if teams pulled out.
It would be a right slap in the face to the organisers and to Qatar themselves.
People would certainly be talk8ng about the protest then, wouldn’t they.
Imagine if say, half a dozen top Nations decided not to go.
Billions would know about it that way too.

Its a bit like the current Stop Oil protests hound. If you stop using a car, stop using Shell if you do use a car - you are upholding your principles but hardly anyone else knows and if they did they have forgotten and dont care.

Go and glue yourself to the road everday - everybody knows.

I wouldn't have a problem with governments asking/telling national teams not to attend. However as the UK has a joint military co-operation agreement with Quatar does £billions in trade with them and has had ministers supporting the Quatar government stance on denying human rights rather than people protesting about it - thats unlikely to happen.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 29, 2022, 12:28:39 am by phil old leake »
Wilts whether I agree with what the Aussies are saying is not my point.  My point is if they really feel that strongly then don’t play.  Words are easy actions are hard. 
If any of them are so angry about the situation then stand by your principles.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 29, 2022, 03:35:24 am by SydneyRover »
and those feeling that strongly about should neither watch nor go i guess phil, unless of course they want someone else to take the moral high ground for them aye?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 29, 2022, 04:02:21 pm by phil old leake »
I agree Syd if people really want to stand up and be counted don’t watch or attend or play.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 30, 2022, 01:46:58 am by SydneyRover »
and further to that phil i think there are those that don't wish to support anything at all but do want to try and downgrade others that do so they can say something like 'noone else is doing owt so why should I'

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 30, 2022, 09:33:14 am by wilts rover »
Wilts whether I agree with what the Aussies are saying is not my point.  My point is if they really feel that strongly then don’t play.  Words are easy actions are hard. 
If any of them are so angry about the situation then stand by your principles.

And my point is that by going and continuing to highlight the human rights abuses in Quatar they will be more effect than not being there.

Which is why 'do you agree with what they said' is very pertinent. Why don't you want them to continue to highlight human rights abuses?

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 30, 2022, 12:27:26 pm by phil old leake »
It’s a difference in opinion wilts. I think if it means that much to an individual then their only stance is to not attend.  Do you really think that wearing armbands during games will make any difference
And let’s be honest do any of us really think the Qataris give a sxxt.  They’ve already got the World Cup.  They’re advertising for holidays on the tv. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012