Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:19:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Guardian cartoonist  (Read 1642 times)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Guardian cartoonist
« on October 16, 2023, 02:32:34 pm by Ldr »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Guardian cartoonist
« Reply #1 on October 16, 2023, 02:46:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That is a truly ridiculous decision.

Here's the cartoon. Decide for yourselves.
https://images.lbc.co.uk/images/609911?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&format=webp&signature=mjIc4_dlgFyx-fBbDePGK2fE1q4=

To me, it's got zero to do with Shylock. Shylock demands a pound of someone else's flesh, not his own. It's clearly saying that attempting to remove Gaza from the body of Israel would mortally wound Israel itself.

Or, that Netanyahu himself will be scarred by his actions in Gaza. Just like the LBJ cartoon that Bell mentions.

Just a stupid, indefensible decision
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 02:49:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 16, 2023, 03:41:05 pm by Sprotyrover »
He needed sacking for the nose alone!, Racist twit!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:20:55 pm by Sprotyrover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 16, 2023, 10:23:51 pm by SydneyRover »
I am not offended by the cartoon, the Guardian is being over cautious.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 16, 2023, 10:27:13 pm by Sprotyrover »
The Cartoon reminds me of the disgusting Anti Semitic  artwork of the Third Reich!
I’m not surprised you’re not offende, not surprised at all!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 16, 2023, 10:32:08 pm by SydneyRover »
And you just happened to pick me out?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 16, 2023, 10:56:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The Cartoon reminds me of the disgusting Anti Semitic  artwork of the Third Reich!

It's not remotely similar.

The Nazi posters used generic caricatures of Jewish faces to signify evil because they were Jewish.

Bell's cartoon is doing what political cartoonists have done throughout the ages and caricaturing a specific person's features. There's nothing of the implied dark evilness of the Nazi imagery. It shows Netanyahu to be stupid and bungling in his specific actions.

And it doesn't in any way imply the generic so-called crimes of the Jews that the Nazis portrayed. Avarice. Sinister threat.

This is fabricated outrage. It doesn't help anyone.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2023, 08:46:17 am by RobTheRover »
Sproty, were you offended at Spitting Image's portrayal of Thatcher and Tebbitt?   Those evil red eyes, the monotone "Yes leader" as he carried out her evil deeds......

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2023, 08:55:46 am by Sprotyrover »
Sproty, were you offended at Spitting Image's portrayal of Thatcher and Tebbitt?   Those evil red eyes, the monotone "Yes leader" as he carried out her evil deeds......
Hi Rob where did I say I was offended by the cartoon?, speak to our woke left posters BST and Sydney. I merely pointed out that it is a caricature of a Jewish nose as per the Nazi Cartoons of the 1930’s

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2023, 09:01:40 am by Sprotyrover »
 Not being a political satirist,I thought the cartoon Portrays a late middle aged Jew Cutting a piece of flesh from his lower chest! So he made his point and was rightly sacked I may even go so far to. Say he has committed a race crime.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:25:05 am by Sprotyrover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2023, 09:06:05 am by idler »
Surely the focal point of the cartoon is the absurdity of using a scalpel whilst wearing boxing gloves to deal with the incision.
His face is just a normal caricature as used by all cartoonists. I had one done in Dubai some years ago which is far from flattering but I didn’t want the artist sacked.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2023, 09:26:39 am by Sprotyrover »
Somebody at Charlie Eboe did one in Paris a few years back and we know how that ended, I think some of you lefty progressive types need to man up!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:43:29 am by Sprotyrover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2023, 09:33:19 am by SydneyRover »
Hi Rob where did I say I was offended by the cartoon?, speak to our woke left posters BST and Sydney.

this is you 'merely' pointing out sprot?

Here you go back yourself in sprot

Report hate crime
Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, transgender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police.

Hate crimes can include:

threatening behaviour
assault
robbery
damage to property
inciting others to commit hate crimes
harassment
online abuse

You can report hate crime online.

https://www.gov.uk/report-hate-crime

do let me know how you go

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2023, 09:47:37 am by Sprotyrover »
Hi Rob where did I say I was offended by the cartoon?, speak to our woke left posters BST and Sydney.

Report hate crime
Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, transgender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police.

Hate crimes can include:

threatening behaviour
assault
robbery
damage to property
harassment
online abuse

Have a look at section 4 Public order Act 1986
And let me know how you go!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 17, 2023, 09:51:46 am by SydneyRover »

Report hate crime

Hate crimes can include:

threatening behaviour
assault
robbery
damage to property
harassment
online abuse

Have a look at section 4 Public order Act 1986
And let me know how you go!

Lost your bottle sprot, I thought you were doing the pointing out, report it.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 17, 2023, 09:54:26 am by Sprotyrover »
I think you will find it already has!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 17, 2023, 10:03:09 am by Mike_F »
Sproty, Are you looking at the cartoon of LBJ posted in this thread or the one of Netanyahu that the Guardian cartoonist drew?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 17, 2023, 10:09:31 am by idler »
Somebody at Charlie Eboe did one in Paris a few years back and we know how that ended, I think some of you lefty progressive types need to man up!
Being offended doesn’t give anyone the right to take a life. That’s not how free speech and democracy work in a civilised society.
It seems that these days there are always people just waiting to be offended and waiting to go into a frenzy.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 17, 2023, 10:10:38 am by River Don »
I do have sympathy with political cartoonists. Usually they depict politicians grotesquely and they usually exaggerate facial features. Check how Gerald Scarfe drew Margaret Thatcher.

It's all fair game, whilst the politicians are white... But then with someone like Sunak, the pen is suddenly blunted because of the fear of accusations of racism. Check out how Martin Rowson draws Sunak... Basically it's just a very small man. Yes, there's the obvious joke there but the facial characterisation is very tame.

To an extent I think Bell has fallen fowl off this but I think there might be something else going on too. To me Bell just isn't as funny or clever as he used to be, often his cartoons are really blatant now. The Guardian has been publishing noticeably less of his work, I just wonder if it isn't partly an excuse to drop him.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 17, 2023, 04:21:44 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I hate to state the obvious here. The way antisemitism is used by Zionists, weaponised, simply harms all Jews. The shut down on free speach, the twisting of definitions, and ungrounded insanity around this, whilst the "poor me" target bombs babies is as sick and hypocritical as it gets.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 20, 2023, 06:39:45 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
By chance in the last month I accidentally (as always) discovered

"In June 1820, King George IV had apparently had enough of Cruikshank’s scurrilous caricatures and paid him £100 “not to caricature His Majesty in any immoral situation.”[2]"

Biography
Born in London to Isaac and Mary (MacNaughton) Cruikshank, George Cruikshank (1792-1878) was indoctrinated into the world of art at a young age. Isaac Cruikshank had established himself as one of London’s leading political caricaturists in the 1790s.

https://www.illustrationhistory.org/artists/george-cruikshank#:~:text=In%20June%201820%2C%20King%20George%20IV%20had%20apparently,to%20caricature%20His%20Majesty%20in%20any%20immoral%20situation.%E2%80%9D

if you have a spare moment play around on this site   

https://www.illustrationhistory.org/

they were far better than nowadays

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 20, 2023, 10:11:39 pm by GazLaz »
He was paid absolute fortunes for these silly cartoons as well.

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 21, 2023, 12:23:43 pm by Branton Red »
I don't have a problem with political/satirical idea the cartoonist was portraying.

I do have a problem with Netanyahu's features being exaggerated in the way they have been.

Large nose and dark brooding eyes.

This is history's staple anti-Semitic caricature.

The artist has the intelligence of a cutting satirist so must have the intelligence to recognise this.

There is no excuse for racism. Regardless of your thoughts on the individual being abused as a person or their actions.

Sacking deserved.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 23, 2023, 02:43:07 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
But Netanyahu has got a big nose and dark brooding eyes? Just because past characatures of Jewish people *sometimes* include those characteristics being used in a racist way can't mean something that is plainly accurate for Netanyahu is censored.

Black skin and curly hair has been used to depict blacks in racist ways, do we remove that from any allowable characatures of a black person?

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 23, 2023, 03:14:33 pm by Branton Red »
But Netanyahu has got a big nose and dark brooding eyes?

Does he?

See attached and the compare to the cartoon.

Then honestly tell me those particular features have not been deliberately exaggerated by the cartoonist.

I'd hate to accuse someone of trying to justify racism if it's not true.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 23, 2023, 03:35:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If you look at a photo of Netanyahu that's not an airbrushed, posed publicity image, he has tired eyes and big dark bags under his eyes. He has a wide, large nose, not remotely like the anti-Semitic trope of the scheming, avaricious hook-nosed Jew. The nose looks more like that of my late Irish-extraction grandmother.

https://images.wsj.net/im-751345/?width=1278&size=1

Bell, in that cartoon, is clearly caricaturing those aspects of Netanyahu's SPECIFIC appearance. That's precisely what good caricaturists do.

I'm astonished anyone confuses that with genuinely anti-Semitic imagery. It smacks of people searching for something to be offended by.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 03:39:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 23, 2023, 03:42:14 pm by drfchound »
I can’t imagine anyone on here looking for something to be outraged and offended by.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 23, 2023, 05:04:01 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
If you look at a photo of Netanyahu that's not an airbrushed, posed publicity image, he has tired eyes and big dark bags under his eyes. He has a wide, large nose, not remotely like the anti-Semitic trope of the scheming, avaricious hook-nosed Jew. The nose looks more like that of my late Irish-extraction grandmother.

https://images.wsj.net/im-751345/?width=1278&size=1

Bell, in that cartoon, is clearly caricaturing those aspects of Netanyahu's SPECIFIC appearance. That's precisely what good caricaturists do.

I'm astonished anyone confuses that with genuinely anti-Semitic imagery. It smacks of people searching for something to be offended by.
I'm scared, I'm in full agreement, eeek!  :laugh:

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 23, 2023, 06:59:42 pm by Branton Red »
We are each our own arbiter of what we personally find offensive.

Personally I believe it obvious that depicting a Jewish man with an exaggerated nose and exaggeratedly dark eyes to be anti-Semitic and racist.

If you feel the need to pass judgement on my personal view on this matter and furthermore criticise me for this opinion it is perhaps a reflection on your own prejudices.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:05:34 pm by Branton Red »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 23, 2023, 07:42:08 pm by ravenrover »
So what you're saying is that's my opinion you can't challenge it? Yes?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012