Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 11:47:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New boss to get cash injection.  (Read 6019 times)

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
New boss to get cash injection.
« on May 14, 2013, 08:49:29 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/doncaster-rovers-new-boss-to-get-cash-injection-1-5664849#.UZHo8EOR_0c.twitter

Proof that buying the stadium is massive for DRFC.

I also hope we can keep Gavin Baldwin on a long term basis!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: New boss to get cash injection.
« Reply #1 on May 14, 2013, 11:57:07 am by the vicar »
£500,000 will get us 3rd rate players but it is a start i guess

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 14, 2013, 12:05:29 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Personally I think to compete we are going to need at least 10m to spend on players....

Thats to compete as this level is so much better its untrue.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 14, 2013, 12:06:31 pm by colincramb »
Or to put a positive spin on it, it would have paid for Billy sharps wages each year, had we ran the stadium then. Hardly third rate

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 14, 2013, 12:08:56 pm by Barmby Rover »
Just how many players have Rovers had that cost over £500,000? As far as I remember.....1. There are plenty of very good players available for little money if we don't look at Premiership failures at low prices who WANT to play for Rovers. That is where we look, in Lg1, Lg2 and even in the Conference if they are useful. Remember your roots folks.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 14, 2013, 12:12:00 pm by RobTheRover »
I suspect we wont get anything like that, Norfolk.  Surely the club is still treating the burns on their fingers from the season before last, and wont want a repeat of that scenario.

£500k gets you 3 players for a year at £3k a week.  I suspect this will be how we operate.

Remember everyone, this is effectively a £500k "windfall" from the stadium, and is on top of the other budgets agreed by the Rover's board/owners. 

All this expectation must be taken in the contaxt of JR's comments at the Meet the Owners event - I'm paraphrasing, but it was essentially "when I took over in the Conference, if someone offered us the chance to be a L1/Championship yoyo club, I'd have snatched their hands off".  We have to be realistic about where the club is at this moment in time and what constitutes success.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 14, 2013, 12:33:32 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
I suspect we wont get anything like that, Norfolk.  Surely the club is still treating the burns on their fingers from the season before last, and wont want a repeat of that scenario.

£500k gets you 3 players for a year at £3k a week.  I suspect this will be how we operate.

Remember everyone, this is effectively a £500k "windfall" from the stadium, and is on top of the other budgets agreed by the Rover's board/owners. 

All this expectation must be taken in the contaxt of JR's comments at the Meet the Owners event - I'm paraphrasing, but it was essentially "when I took over in the Conference, if someone offered us the chance to be a L1/Championship yoyo club, I'd have snatched their hands off".  We have to be realistic about where the club is at this moment in time and what constitutes success.

Not saying we will but thats the reality and without major investment or thinking outside the box like Watford have done I suspect we will be down for Xmas!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 14, 2013, 12:41:22 pm by IDM »
Nowt like optimism eh Norfolk ;)

It isn't going to be easy to compete in the championship and the new manager, and any new players will face many challenges.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 14, 2013, 12:41:56 pm by RedJ »
What happened to Mr Uber-Positive, NNC?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 14, 2013, 12:44:20 pm by MrFrost »
Barnsley stayed up didn't they?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 14, 2013, 12:53:11 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Did you not read Norfolk N Chance's snippet's in the Free Press in the prediction league? Not very uber-positive at all!

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 14, 2013, 12:53:35 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
The first season after promotion is usually ok as momentum and confidence are good. Anything after that is a bonus really.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 14, 2013, 01:51:26 pm by scuzzer »

Not saying we will but thats the reality and without major investment or thinking outside the box like Watford have done I suspect we will be down for Xmas!

Dare i say it but the Watford model really isn't that far off what we tried to do the season before in terms of the loanee deals etc - though obviously theirs were decent!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 14, 2013, 01:54:54 pm by Filo »

Dare i say it but the Watford model really isn't that far off what we tried to do the season before in terms of the loanee deals etc - though obviously theirs were decent!

The difference between the two strategy`s was that Watford signed young hungry loanees eager to make a name in the English leagues. Rovers, Fabien Robert apart, signed players in decline with nothing to prove in England

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 14, 2013, 02:27:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Young and hungry was actually McKay's initial plan. We then became more desperate and went for Diouf and Chimbonda.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 14, 2013, 02:28:42 pm by scaley back rover »
should have got suarez in he is always hungry

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 14, 2013, 03:03:46 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
This is not about a sudden extra revenue stream, its already been taken into account when the announcement was made by Gavin of us getting about 4 seasoned pros for next season, plus 8 development players.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 14, 2013, 03:21:31 pm by RobTheRover »
Thats true.  The point is that controlling the stadium has allowed us to develop an additional revenue stream, and if this exceeds the planned business model then that is additional funding which will find its way in to the first team squad.

In other words - support the additional activities there, because this supports YOUR club.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 14, 2013, 05:45:49 pm by BobG »
True Rob. But spending a budgeted profit in advance (£460K and not £500K btw) is a recipe for trouble. Spend some of it, yes. But all of it?

I imagine they've planned to spend half/two thirds of it and the balance, if it actually arrives, will form a reserve for use later on. Loanees perhaps.

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 14, 2013, 07:24:41 pm by RobTheRover »
I suspect you are right, Bob.  If I know one thing about Gavin its that he isnt a chickens counted before they've hatched-type of guy.  Calm, measured, controlled, considered.  To keep the bird analogy coming, he'll have a ll his ducks lined up properly.

Crikey, that sounded like a DS post match interview! lol

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 14, 2013, 07:46:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is an ongoing issue of managing the budget and using revenue from other streams as and when.

Saying it is a cash injection is a bit of a folly.

We know by now fewer £s are spent on transfer fees and wages are budgeted for across the season. Players will come and go, depending on how we are doing and how the accounts stack up.

If all goes well on the pitch, more folk will turn up, more money will come in and it will give the board that extra encouragement to invest further.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 14, 2013, 08:11:33 pm by RoversAlias »
If we get £500k spending money I'll be quite pleased. If you take the Sharp transfer out of the equation have we ever spent that much in a summer? Maybe 2007 when Hayter signed, if that?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 14, 2013, 08:13:52 pm by wilts rover »
I think you have it there in your final point Baz - people shouldn't assume this £500k (£460k) is going to be 'new' or additional money, all it will mean is that the directors will fund less of the shortfall.

Given that we were supposed to have reduced the wage bill by £3m this season it would be fascinating to know whether or not it will be going back up again by more/less the same to say £7m. For comparative purposes Bristol City were relegated with one of £14m. Lets presume it is. Where is that money going to come from? how many season tickets do we need to shift to match that figure? That's without any transfer fees, agents fees, stadium running costs.

As the man sayeth - 'do the math'.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 14, 2013, 08:14:33 pm by RobTheRover »
Alias, thats unlikely to be transfer budget money.  That will be more likely spent on player wages where it goes further.

A good case in point was Richie Wellens.  We could "top up" his wages to a very good level because we landed him on a free.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 14, 2013, 08:29:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
because we landed him on a free.

FFS you kept that quiet !!!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 14, 2013, 08:40:24 pm by 1879Rovers »
We didn't spend a penny in transfer fees last summer and built a squad that won League One. All about the right players coming in and there are plenty of decent players been released this summer already. Just got to come to some agreement on their wage demands.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 14, 2013, 08:57:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Let's also be objective here. Good managers have to manage players OUT as well as players IN to balance the books.

I hope one of the 18 points on the check list is scrutinising the manager's past transfer dealings.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 14, 2013, 09:42:22 pm by RedJ »
Let's also be objective here. Good managers have to manage players OUT as well as players IN to balance the books.

I hope one of the 18 points on the check list is scrutinising the manager's past transfer dealings.
It is. Good at buying and selling it says.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 14, 2013, 10:43:00 pm by the vicar »

Personally I think to compete we are going to need at least 10m to spend on players....

Thats to compete as this level is so much better its untrue.

You are so right Norfolk if we dont look out its down at christmas

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 14, 2013, 11:03:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Alias, thats unlikely to be transfer budget money.  That will be more likely spent on player wages where it goes further.

A good case in point was Richie Wellens.  We could "top up" his wages to a very good level because we landed him on a free.

To be honest I said that before reading the article, only the posts in the thread.

More money for the cause is always a big plus though, looking forward to the summer activity.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012