Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:44:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: JOC's 'Best position'.  (Read 3028 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
JOC's 'Best position'.
« on November 07, 2010, 04:07:08 pm by Colin C No.3 »
JOC is now well established as a player who's name is quickly added as a definite starter to the teamsheet. However, his versility must give SOD a real headache! When he played in central midfield alongside Martis/Locky/or Hird, he was the calm head who inevitably sorted out any threat. His pace, reading of the game, tackling, heading & general distribution in that central role was excellent.

Then again once, or if we can find a settled central pairing, Jimmy's contribution down that right flank both defensively & in an attacking role is a real asset to the general balance of the team.

In essence, let's hope WE CAN find a solid, central duo, in order that JOC can continue to give the team an overlapping offensive threat & a solid defensive cover on that right side.
Or Jimmy, do you have a brother!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re:JOC's 'Best position'.
« Reply #1 on November 07, 2010, 04:09:26 pm by Filo »
Colin C No.3 wrote:
JOC is now well established as a player who's name is quickly added as a definite starter to the teamsheet. However, his versility must give SOD a real headache! When he played in central midfield alongside Martis/Locky/or Hird, he was the calm head who inevitably sorted out any threat. His pace, reading of the game, tackling, heading & general distribution in that central role was excellent.

Then again once, or if we can find a settled central pairing, Jimmy's contribution down that right flank both defensively & in an attacking role is a real asset to the general balance of the team.

In essence, let's hope WE CAN find a solid, central duo, in order that JOC can continue to give the team an overlapping offensive threat & a solid defensive cover on that right side.

Stocky must be getting worried if Jimmy has aspirations to play in midfield :laugh:

Boyhood dreams

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 07, 2010, 06:29:05 pm by Boyhood dreams »
Colin C No.3 wrote:

I think we need him down the flank especially in away games. In away games, him attacking down the flank as been the only attacking dimension, in some tough games away over the years.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #3 on November 07, 2010, 06:45:29 pm by Rovin Reporter »
In The Team !!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 07, 2010, 07:58:26 pm by Jonathan »
Filo wrote:
Colin C No.3 wrote:
Stocky must be getting worried if Jimmy has aspirations to play in midfield :laugh:

He has actually played in central midfield for us before (I'm pretty sure it was Swansea away when Dave Penney was in charge) and he was arguably our best player in that game too!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 07, 2010, 08:11:11 pm by mushRTID »
Are you sure that wasnt Dave Mulligan? Remember him in midfield for Swansea away.....I think!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 07, 2010, 08:11:30 pm by CusworthRovers »
Just logged on since the match, so not sure what's been posted. I thought JOC had his worst game for us on Saturday. At fault for the first and nearly cost a second with a badly timed, 10 minute late, challenge that he was never going to make. His crossing was a tad suspect too.

If continues like that I feel his position at RB only, may come under threat from Dumbuya. I'll put that down to his lack action at RB.

That said, a cracking player for this club, but one that has been dropped before.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 07, 2010, 08:18:25 pm by Jonathan »
mushRTID wrote:
Are you sure that wasnt Dave Mulligan? Remember him in midfield for Swansea away.....I think!

I could be wrong.....but I'm pretty sure I'm not!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 08, 2010, 10:53:55 am by Mike_F »
I know where you're coming from, Cussy as he was slightly out of position for their goal, however it looked to me like he was trying to cover his own position and that of Martis who in turn was covering Thomas who in turn was AWOL. After the goal, Jimmy was barking intructions/remonstrating with the centre halves. If there had been 4 Jimmy O'Connors across the back line I doubt that we'd have left so much space at the back stick.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 08, 2010, 11:15:54 am by DonnyNoel »
Jonathan wrote:
mushRTID wrote:

I could be wrong.....but I'm pretty sure I'm not!

Not sure about the Swansea game but Mickey Walker started JOC in midfield at Port Vale but moved him back to defence when Stephen Roberts went off injured at half time.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 08, 2010, 12:53:57 pm by RobTheRover »
Is that the game when Sean Thornton played out wide in the paper shop chewing gum rack?

;-)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 08, 2010, 01:06:47 pm by keyser_soze »
Mike_F wrote:
I know where you're coming from, Cussy as he was slightly out of position for their goal, however it looked to me like he was trying to cover his own position and that of Martis who in turn was covering Thomas who in turn was AWOL. After the goal, Jimmy was barking intructions/remonstrating with the centre halves. If there had been 4 Jimmy O'Connors across the back line I doubt that we'd have left so much space at the back stick.

yeah, i've watched it a couple of times, reckon Jimmy was marking Morrison (who, it must be noted, scored) but in turn no-one covered his run.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 08, 2010, 01:39:42 pm by DonnyNoel »
RobTheRover wrote:
Is that the game when Sean Thornton played out wide in the paper shop chewing gum rack?

;-)

The very same!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 08, 2010, 04:57:11 pm by graingrover »
JOc is not an exceptional  central defender though he undoubtedly prefers to play there cos he sees more of the ball. He has been an exceptionally good right back for us , so much so that I would be tempted to push Muzzy out onto the wing and bring Copps inside to replace Woods. I have only seen three games this season !

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 08, 2010, 07:01:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
His best position depends where we need him !

I think on Saturday he got caught anticipating danger in the middle. I think this comes from the lack of confidence in defending crosses.

Hopefully, if we can get some consistency at the back, he can relax a bit and just concentrate in doing his own job instead of doing that of two.

My only concern still, is pace. Therefore we may see SOD play with a back 5 with JOC sweeping up behind Martis and Thomas, Muzzy and Millsy pushing on. Trouble is that weakens the midfield.

VikingJames

« Reply #15 on November 08, 2010, 07:20:57 pm by VikingJames »
I think he's an excellent CB when we're against a side with pace, but doesn't necessarily have the height to play there week in week out. Trouble is, we miss him bombing down the wing when he plays centrally. We could do with two JOC's really :P

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 08, 2010, 07:59:53 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Two JOC's, we already have, he's called Muzzy.

I'm a big fan of JOC, but on Saturday's showing not much in his game seemed to click.  His 'bombing down the wing' resulted in an over hit cross every time.

I certainly go for JOC ahead of Muzzy, simply because many of our goals conceded recently have come from teams exploiting us down our right side.  But for the attacking contribution, I think Muzzy is more potent and has an infinately better ball into the box.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012