Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:43:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: FAO VSC Directors, RE: rovers player  (Read 3103 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
FAO VSC Directors, RE: rovers player
« on December 05, 2012, 02:39:27 pm by Filo »
Can the VSC board make some noises about the poor service subscribers are getting from rovers player, problems again last night with commentary, it`s every game just lately, and not one inkling of an apology on DROS. Can they kick some arses with the provider and get the equipment checked out, other clubs that we are playing at the time don`t appear to have the same issues!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: FAO VSC Directors, RE: rovers player
« Reply #1 on December 05, 2012, 03:01:13 pm by Ldr »
+1

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 05, 2012, 03:03:33 pm by NathanDRFC »
Noted.

We have a VSC Board meeting on Thursday, and we will discuss the issue then

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 05, 2012, 03:09:32 pm by Filo »
I`m seriously considering un subscribing, I know it`s cheap enough, but I`m sick of paying for something that does n`t work properly, and nothing being done about it, no explanation or apology, it`s like they are taking subscribers for granted!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 05, 2012, 03:25:03 pm by eastender »
It seems That DRFC are on the case as Gavin Baldwin mentions it in his weekly blog on the DRFC Exiles Site.  :thumbsup:

http://drfc-exiles.co.uk/2012/12/baldwins-blog-5th-december/

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 05, 2012, 03:31:09 pm by Filo »
It seems That DRFC are on the case as Gavin Baldwin mentions it in his weekly blog on the DRFC Exiles Site.  :thumbsup:

http://drfc-exiles.co.uk/2012/12/baldwins-blog-5th-december/

Aye, it`s a pity they can`t be arsed to inform the rest of us via DROS!

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 05, 2012, 03:33:17 pm by besty »
Same reason I and probably others have un-subscribed.

Club losing money again tut-tut!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 05, 2012, 03:57:46 pm by silent majority »
I have been discussing this with the club over the last few weeks after we had received some complaints on here. Unfortunately, at the moment, its not as simple as throwing a bit more money at it. That's a promise that's easy to make but if it doesn't deliver the results you want then you may have to retract.

As soon as we receive the confirmation we need you'll be the first to know.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2012, 04:47:04 pm by Filo »
I have been discussing this with the club over the last few weeks after we had received some complaints on here. Unfortunately, at the moment, its not as simple as throwing a bit more money at it. That's a promise that's easy to make but if it doesn't deliver the results you want then you may have to retract.

No one on here is saying throw money at it, what I`m saying is the Club and providers need to get together and get to the bottom of why our commentary keeps cutting out whilst the team that we are playing commentary carry`s on broadcasting, I`m suspecting that the equipment we are using is faulty, especially after last nights farce when we got a static like sound just before the commentary went off, it was like there was a dodgy wire on the mic or something and as soon as the cable was moved the thing conked out!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2012, 05:39:14 pm by silent majority »

No one on here is saying throw money at it, what I`m saying is the Club and providers need to get together and get to the bottom of why our commentary keeps cutting out whilst the team that we are playing commentary carry`s on broadcasting, I`m suspecting that the equipment we are using is faulty, especially after last nights farce when we got a static like sound just before the commentary went off, it was like there was a dodgy wire on the mic or something and as soon as the cable was moved the thing conked out!

Dave, I didn't say you or anybody did, I was just explaining that some of the issues can't be solved by money. However you mention faulty equipment which can be solved with better finance.

Spankster

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2012, 06:14:52 pm by Spankster »
Not even sure if it is the equipment that is faulty, remember the Carlisle game we could not get player working on DROS but when we went on to Barnsley's player & changed match to Doncaster we were able to listen to the doncaster comentary from there. DROS also visually seemed to be missind the play button.

Could the problem actually be with DROS rather than Player?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2012, 06:48:57 pm by hoolahoop »
I'm with Filo on this one if it's not sorted out pronto then I'm no longer going to pay for it either. It's poor when time after time you are reduced to listening to the commentary of the opposition, have no commentary at all, a mysterious buzzing sound, 2 miserable old men going on and on about anything but the game etc. etc.................

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2012, 08:38:05 pm by newyankee »

Maybe a good thing Steve Uttley was on last night and suffered from the gremlins. He apologised and said that they were getting onto those who run player to get things sorted out. Let's hope he does.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 06, 2012, 12:34:33 am by andysly »
The service isn't great and disappointing that when I can't get to a game I can't listen to it properly, and it has got worse these past few weeks. BUT why have a pop at the guys doing the commentary they are just helping to give the rest of us some idea what's going on in the game, surely that's preferable to anything else on offer.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 06, 2012, 12:42:54 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not even sure if it is the equipment that is faulty, remember the Carlisle game we could not get player working on DROS but when we went on to Barnsley's player & changed match to Doncaster we were able to listen to the doncaster comentary from there. DROS also visually seemed to be missind the play button.

I'm sure your on the right lines. I'm sure much of the problems stem from our own browsers as it can work perfectly well through 'explorer' and be totally useless through Chrome.

May be during the next match we can carry out a test by a number of us accessing it through the same browser and them switching to another and compare the difference.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 06, 2012, 08:34:00 am by Rios »
I'm sure your on the right lines. I'm sure much of the problems stem from our own browsers as it can work perfectly well through 'explorer' and be totally useless through Chrome.

May be during the next match we can carry out a test by a number of us accessing it through the same browser and them switching to another and compare the difference.

That just means that it hasn't be written correctly.  Any website or product that isn't Browser independant and therefore standards compliant should be avoided like the plaque.  A hell of a lot of devices (Ios, Android, Linux) can't run IE and the days of Micro$oft trying to force the rest of the industry out of the browser business like it did Netscape are well and truly over.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 06, 2012, 10:38:20 am by silent majority »
All,

I've discussed this with the club again and they are aware of, and intend to, solve all problems with the service.

There are two parts to this, the first part is the equipment used. Its a possibility that some of the equipment is faulty and they are testing and examining what they have to rule out that possibility. The second part is the service is actually provided by a third party contractor to the Football League called Perform. You may make the connection that this is also the same company who provide the website services to the Football League too! The club are talking to Perform to find out why the service may work for some and not others, and also why it works OK through others and not through our site.

I've asked the club to keep you all updated on what they are doing and when, plus a statement of a clean bill of health when the investigations are complete. I will be on the e-mail copy list (thanks Gavin!) so I will also put something on this site when I can.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 06, 2012, 11:06:49 am by Surrey Rover »
I complained to the third party service provider some weeks ago and was given some nonsense about downloading Chrome as IE/Firefox were non compatable with the upgrades on the player consul. As Rios points out that is the work of amateurs.

I had more problems a few weeks later and at this stage threatened to take up the matter with the Department of Trading Standards. I received an apology and one months free membership. I haven't needed to use it since but will be doing for the next two home matches and should it let me down again I will write to Trading Standards because we are paying for a service that consistently falls short of the basics. 

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 06, 2012, 11:16:28 am by bobjimwilly »
It's a bit ironic that the company in charge of all this is called "Perform"  :facepalm:

At work we recently had to work with an external web design company called "Genius", who were from Barnsley incidentally. That was ironic too.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 06, 2012, 12:34:31 pm by Alickismyhero »
My record number of times the RP has cut out is 8, can anyone beat that?
When it happens it does take a lot away from the game  and was close to turning it in.
I thought it was my computer playing up to start with so its reassuring to hear all the complaints.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 06, 2012, 01:56:40 pm by Filo »
All,

I've discussed this with the club again and they are aware of, and intend to, solve all problems with the service.

There are two parts to this, the first part is the equipment used. Its a possibility that some of the equipment is faulty and they are testing and examining what they have to rule out that possibility. The second part is the service is actually provided by a third party contractor to the Football League called Perform. You may make the connection that this is also the same company who provide the website services to the Football League too! The club are talking to Perform to find out why the service may work for some and not others, and also why it works OK through others and not through our site.

I've asked the club to keep you all updated on what they are doing and when, plus a statement of a clean bill of health when the investigations are complete. I will be on the e-mail copy list (thanks Gavin!) so I will also put something on this site when I can.

Thanks for the feedback SM, now lets not take our finger off the pulse and get this sorted once and for all!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 06, 2012, 02:47:21 pm by silent majority »
Filo/all,

Steve is swapping out some equipment for this weekends game to see if that impacts on the problem. It there is a distinct improvement then the club will be able to positively identify some of the issues. Can you all report back how you receive the transmission?

The monitoring of the actual transmission is down to Perform and they should be highlighting when this is not occurring. I do believe this may not be happening, therefore the first the club know about it is when you complain.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 06, 2012, 03:55:40 pm by Filo »
Filo/all,

Steve is swapping out some equipment for this weekends game to see if that impacts on the problem. It there is a distinct improvement then the club will be able to positively identify some of the issues. Can you all report back how you receive the transmission?

The monitoring of the actual transmission is down to Perform and they should be highlighting when this is not occurring. I do believe this may not be happening, therefore the first the club know about it is when you complain.

Right then, a thread needs starting on Saturday, specifically for reporting back on the performance of rovers player, as much information as possible needs reporting i.e. Browser, Operating System, time you experienced problems ect. lets nail this once and for all!

P.S. can they start broadcasting a bit earlier so that any problems can be sorted before KO?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 06, 2012, 03:57:20 pm by silent majority »
Dave,

Start this one on Friday evening OK?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:00:15 pm by Filo »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 06, 2012, 04:01:14 pm by Filo »
Dave,

Start this one on Friday evening OK?

Whoops clicked the modify button instead of the quote button, sorry Martin

It`ll be either before 2pm on Friday or after 1am on Saturday, as I`ll be working between those times, unless any one else wants to start the thread off on Friday evening.

madbadrob

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 07, 2012, 08:35:47 pm by madbadrob »

I have tried 4 seperate browsers and tbh when it is working Chrome is the best one for it.  When it didnt work against Carlisle it was with all browsers.  Tuesday nights game Paul had to redial into the network which suggests they hang up when they go for half time breaks so why dont they do what other clubs do and run a radio station through it at half time and then they dont forget they need to dial back in?  I seriously think these problems stem from their new HQ player but we shall see

TinyPortal © 2005-2012