Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:32:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ***Calling all Rovers fans***  (Read 3051 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
***Calling all Rovers fans***
« on August 11, 2013, 10:31:38 am by Red Rover »
So, no Rovers game this weekend...fancy filling the void with a match at the Keepmoat anyway?

Today at 3pm kick-off, an Eve Merton charity 11 play against Rovers legends and legends from across the Premiership. From the Rovers ranks, the likes of Warrington, Bruce Dyer, Ryan and Albrighton will be turning out for the legends. Not only that, but there are all kinds of Premiership players playing, from all kinds of eras! You might have seen the posters around but there have been a fair few additions since that was printed.

Champions League Cling-on Winner David May of Man Utd, England bicycle-kick one-hit-wonder Darius Vassell, Ireland play-off hero Jason McAteer and Scottish international Don Hutchison have been added. Along with them, the likes of Lee Hendrie, Steve Hodge, Arthur Albison, Clayton Blackmore and a few others are suppost to be turning out for the Legends. There's even a possibility Peter Beardsley will be turning out.

Not a lot happening today unless you're a Leeds fan, so why not come down to the Keepmoat and do your bit for charity by buying a ticket.

Adult tickets £5 each, kids £3 and a family of four for £10.

:rtid: :scarf: :rtid: :scarf: :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

krischambers

• Forum Member
Re: ***Calling all Rovers fans***
« Reply #1 on August 11, 2013, 11:05:05 am by krischambers »
I'll pop down

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2013, 10:48:39 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Frankly disgraceful turn out today support wise, glad I went as was throughly entertained. I guess Doncaster Public had better things to do than support a worthwhile charity on a sunday afternoon for a couple of hours, like watching the Community Shield and their second team, Man Utd.

One thing though, how the hell is Lee Hendrie not still playing League Football ? , he was a class apart.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2013, 11:06:47 pm by RobTheRover »
Frankly disgraceful turn out today support wise, glad I went as was throughly entertained. I guess Doncaster Public had better things to do than support a worthwhile charity on a sunday afternoon for a couple of hours, like watching the Community Shield and their second team, Man Utd.

One thing though, how the hell is Lee Hendrie not still playing League Football ? , he was a class apart.

Lee Hendrie was on that programme Clarke Carlisle did about mental illness amongst footballers, and Hendrie revealed he had tried to kill himself a couple of times when he got into deep debt.  Quite a sad tale, really.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2013, 06:33:53 am by Spud »
Yeah i saw that, he bought loads of properties inc most of his family's, based on him earning forty grand a week at the time then the market crashed as did his earnings. First one the bank took was his mum's. Ouch !!!

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2013, 08:42:53 am by Red Rover »
Yeh was a shame about the turnout. However, they only thought they would get about 500 people down, and to be fair there were more than a 1,000 there so it is a good start. Bruce Dyer never played like that at Rovers!

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2013, 08:56:13 am by Bald Rover »
I couldn`t go due to work commitments otherwise Si knows I would have come!! I do think you are being a little harsh saying its a poor turnout....650 people gave up their time on a Sunday to support the cause I think that`s not a bad turnout?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2013, 12:37:51 pm by Jenny »
I'm with Bald Rover on this one - why do people have to focus on the negatives and bemoan people not going rather than appreciating the good that people did?

To say it is disgraceful is unfair on those who went and to be honest, unfair on those who would simply rather spend their time doing other things. Lets face it, if people don't like football, they don't like football, regardless of whether it is for charity.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2013, 12:42:03 pm by godlike1 »

other than on the official site and here where else was it advertised in town?

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2013, 04:03:23 pm by vietaff »

Good point however it's hard to advertise games like this as you make posters and put names in them, only for the players to then drop out. Initially Gary McAllster, Robbie Fowler, Craig Hignett Peter Beardsley to name a few agreed to play, then couldn't make it. There was a team from the Eve Merton Trust at the Blackpool game promoting the charity event and it was advertised via the doncaster rovers website, Facebook and twitter.
It's going to be an annual event so will only get better, and there's been some great names already who have approached the charity to play next year.

Thanks to all who attended, it was a great day and a privilege for me to play - even though I got beat by 2 worldies from Bruce Dyer, if you missed them they were 2 of the best goals you will ever see at the KM, and all the Legends were willing to have pics and sign autographs for the kids (apart from McAteer who is a very mardy, big headed knob)

I'm going to put forward to arrange a game between the conference wining squad at some point as having spoke to Woggy, Tim Ryan and Brighty about it, this could be a crowd puller and I'm sure there would be a great interest in this.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2013, 04:56:39 pm by swintonrover »
2 worldies from Bruce Dyer

Never thought I'd read that!

I'm going to put forward to arrange a game between the conference wining squad at some point as having spoke to Woggy, Tim Ryan and Brighty about it, this could be a crowd puller and I'm sure there would be a great interest in this.

That'd be great. I couldn't make it yesterday unfortunately, but good luck with your endeavours.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2013, 05:47:34 pm by godlike1 »

Good point however it's hard to advertise games like this as you make posters and put names in them, only for the players to then drop out. Initially Gary McAllster, Robbie Fowler, Craig Hignett Peter Beardsley to name a few agreed to play, then couldn't make it. There was a team from the Eve Merton Trust at the Blackpool game promoting the charity event and it was advertised via the doncaster rovers website, Facebook and twitter.
It's going to be an annual event so will only get better, and there's been some great names already who have approached the charity to play next year.

Thanks to all who attended, it was a great day and a privilege for me to play - even though I got beat by 2 worldies from Bruce Dyer, if you missed them they were 2 of the best goals you will ever see at the KM, and all the Legends were willing to have pics and sign autographs for the kids (apart from McAteer who is a very mardy, big headed knob)

An excellent answer and i can see there are some quite clear the difficulties in promoting this.

The donny (pie loving) public do seem to be reluctant to be pulled into sporting events in numbers for some reason which is a pitty especially when it is for charity. Maybe you could get the foundation team to take some flyers/info around schools to help advertise in time for the next game. Just another idea you could try.

The only reason I put my post on this thread though is because I do think it is too easy for some to criticse and make scathing comments without knowing all the facts. It does seem to be a big downfall of this forum  unfortunatly

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 12, 2013, 11:48:20 pm by RedRover45 »
Yeh was a shame about the turnout. However, they only thought they would get about 500 people down, and to be fair there were more than a 1,000 there so it is a good start. Bruce Dyer never played like that at Rovers!

There were 620 came through the turnstiles

TinyPortal © 2005-2012