Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:04:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Odds for the Oxford game.  (Read 3036 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Odds for the Oxford game.
« on December 04, 2021, 06:14:11 pm by normal rules »
Rovers are an unbelievable 16/5 for this.
Oxford are a shade under even money at 5/6
I know where my money is going.
In fact, a money spinner for the year would be to lump on every team that rovers play between now and seasons end.you won’t lose out.
Head over heart.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Odds for the Oxford game.
« Reply #1 on December 04, 2021, 06:20:29 pm by River Don »
Backing against Rovers at the moment is probably not a bad strategy.

At least the pain of defeat will have some compensation.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 04, 2021, 07:39:44 pm by Filo »
Just stuck £100 on an Oxford win, easy money at the moment and lessens the pain of defeat

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 04, 2021, 07:41:37 pm by normal rules »
Backing against Rovers at the moment is probably not a bad strategy.

At least the pain of defeat will have some compensation.

I’ve been doing it for some time.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 04, 2021, 07:57:32 pm by River Don »
Always bet on what you know.

I used to do quite well backing against England at the right time. Always a lot of patriotic money distorting the odds. Not so easy now, though I did go for Italy to win in the final.

If you can take the emotion out of it, then betting against Rovers isn't a bad way to go.

I usually can't take the emotion out of it. But right now, it's not difficult to see the reality.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 08:00:42 pm by River Don »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 04, 2021, 08:24:34 pm by Filo »
Got evens at William Hills

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 04, 2021, 09:09:06 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I was convinced that MK Dons would turn us over comfortably and they didn't. You never can tell, although i agree that on the balance of probability - Oxford win this game and i am not expecting anything other than an Oxford win.

I'm going on Tuesday with some hope that somehow we can manufacture a victory, otherwise what is the point?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2021, 11:04:57 pm by 5minstogo »
Well I hope you all lose your hard earned cash

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2021, 09:59:58 am by normal rules »

Why wish this? What if it helps to attend games?
Of course no one wants rovers to lose.
If rovers form was slightly better, then betting against them would be more risky.
But based on what I’m seeing at the moment, there is a good chance of making easy money over a period of time.
Yes it’s seems counter intuitive to bet against your team, but it’s making something positive out of something negative.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2021, 10:04:44 am by normal rules »
Rovers have lost 12 so far and draw/ won a total of 7.

Based on £10 bets on each game and averaging even money per opposition team, you would be £70 down on the draws/ wins, but £120 up on the losses. So £50 to the better.
If you have deeper pockets and add a nought to the tenner bets that’s £500 profit.
Do you honestly see this form changing?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2021, 10:05:01 am by Filo »

If rovers form was slightly better, then betting against them would be more risky.
But based on what I’m seeing at the moment, there is a good chance of making easy money over a period of time.
Yes it’s seems counter intuitive to bet against your team, but it’s making something positive out of something negative.

Agree with this, I’m comfortable with losing £100 on Tuesday if Rovers were to win, I’m also confident if that happened I would quickly get that money back betting in the same way

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2021, 10:19:29 am by NickDRFC »

Because if you lose your money betting against Rovers, it means Rovers either draw or win.

I also hope you lose your bet!

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2021, 10:39:03 am by normal rules »
You completely mis interpret the message here.
I’m Happy to lose money if rovers win. Especially so this Tuesday night .
But that ain’t changing any time soon. Not this season in any case.
So wish away. You cannot ignore the obvious.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2021, 11:09:27 am by NickDRFC »
You completely mis interpret the message here.
I’m Happy to lose money if rovers win. Especially so this Tuesday night .
But that ain’t changing any time soon. Not this season in any case.
So wish away. You cannot ignore the obvious.

I was replying to your question to 5minstogo. He said “I hope you lose all your hard earned cash”, and you said “Why would you wish this?”

It’s blindingly obvious why he would hope for that, regardless of any likelihood of any event happening. I agree that near enough even money represents very good odds against us, so I’m not misinterpreting anything, I just hope that you and anyone else betting against Rovers lose as it means that we as a club don’t.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 05, 2021, 11:19:10 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I must admit that i have also backed against the team but there is a conflict here. Maybe it is dependant on how much one stands to make financially and whether or not that potential financial gain trumps that of your team winning.

For example, i am pretty certain that Oxford will beat us so if i put 500 quid on an Oxford win because i thought the bet was a dead cert and Rovers won. I'd actually be disappointed that Rovers won. Because the financial benefit of Oxford winning would be preferable to the 3 points from a Rovers win.

I would never want to be in that position.

So i guess it all depends on how much the money means to you. If i put 20 quid on an Oxford win on Tuesday then if Rovers win, i won't be bothered about losing 20 quid. But when the stakes get higher, the greater conflict occurs.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 05, 2021, 11:27:59 am by normal rules »
The golden rule of betting.never stake more than you can afford to lose. Or More than would you unhappy losing .
I have a punt for fun. Not to make a living .

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 05, 2021, 11:31:06 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The golden rule of betting.never stake more than you can afford to lose. Or More than would you unhappy losing .
I have a punt for fun. Not to make a living .

Yes. Agree totally.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 05, 2021, 12:10:19 pm by Prez »
I gamble for a living predominately on horses and football, and there are many times i have money on the opposition, weather its Rovers opponents or England. A mate of mine fell out with me during Englands semi final in the world cup when I told him id backed Croatia back in march at 40-1 £50. He called me a traitor for backing against England. I couldnt get through to him that id not. I was gutted when England lost that game, the bet though softened it a little. If there is value to be had on any event involving my team i have to take it weather its for or against, but at the end of the day i still want rovers to win. In the long run the variables balance themselves out.                                                             
                                                                                                                                                    A couple of bets ill highlight which i had on involving Rovers are, Division 3 title wining team in 2004, were 10-1 at xmas when we were top of the league, to win it. Also i had us at 16-1 to be relegated after we beat Leeds 2-1 at Elland road, with our daunting fixture list we had left. Again like England i was gutted when we went down, even though i made £800 on it.

The most recent bet i had was £30 on the draw at 14-1 when we 3-1 up against Cheltenham. It didnt win of course but they nearly scored and yet i was nervous as hell in the last 5 mins hoping we wouldnt concede.

Its what i do some people as i say dont approve, im just taking advantage of my inside knowledge of Rovers like we all can. Doesnt make me a traitor its merely a side show.

Finally although i didnt back it i thought 5-2 on Rovers to win yesterday was a great price, but even i underestimated how bad we are at the moment.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 05, 2021, 05:13:08 pm by normal rules »
Couldn’t agree more Perez. The absolute knocking bet for yesterday was rovers to lose after going one up. Which the odds would have been somewhat attractive for i guess.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 05, 2021, 05:18:51 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Couldn’t agree more Perez. The absolute knocking bet for yesterday was rovers to lose after going one up. Which the odds would have been somewhat attractive for i guess.

Under Wellens maybe but i expected better yesterday. We were never in the game after we'd scored and so maybe an example of it being beneficial to put a bet on in play when you are actually at the game. Straight from the resumption of the 2nd half it was clear we would lose that game.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 05, 2021, 05:24:53 pm by Draytonian III »
If you’re going to back Rovers to loose state on your slip that there will be 2 goals or more in the game, you’ll get a lot better odds and most of the defeats have been by this

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 05, 2021, 05:40:58 pm by Prez »

Mansfield were just under 11/2 to win when it was half time on the betfair exchange,

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 05, 2021, 05:50:33 pm by drfchound »

Under Wellens maybe but i expected better yesterday. We were never in the game after we'd scored and so maybe an example of it being beneficial to put a bet on in play when you are actually at the game. Straight from the resumption of the 2nd half it was clear we would lose that game.

I can’t agree that we weren’t in th the game after we scored yesterday.
As I recall we had a decent first half and it wouldn’t have been unthinkable that we might have increased our lead before the break.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 05, 2021, 06:05:33 pm by GazLaz »
Oxford should be about 4/6 to win. That’s presuming Galbraith is the only man to return to the squad and we play the same team swapping him for Ravenhill.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 05, 2021, 06:14:22 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

I can’t agree that we weren’t in th the game after we scored yesterday.
As I recall we had a decent first half and it wouldn’t have been unthinkable that we might have increased our lead before the break.

I fail to see how we had a decent first half after the goal. We go a goal up in the first 10 at home against a L2 side and then that was it. We did not create anything first half or for most of the second, other than the goal. It was a really poor game - both halves IMO.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 05, 2021, 08:57:49 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
On a betting theme. Can anyone remember the name of the bookies next to the York Bar before it became Mark Jarvis? I grew up in the bloody place and been wracking my brains to remember what it was called before.

Sure it would bring back memories.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 05, 2021, 09:05:04 pm by scawsby steve »
On a betting theme. Can anyone remember the name of the bookies next to the York Bar before it became Mark Jarvis? I grew up in the bloody place and been wracking my brains to remember what it was called before.

I can't remember either, CDH, but I can confirm that the York Bar is still full of horse racing mad members. They even have bus trips to race meetings all over the country.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 05, 2021, 09:08:50 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

I can't remember either, CDH, but I can confirm that the York Bar is still full of horse racing mad members. They even have bus trips to race meetings all over the country.

Ah great. York Bar to be run by one of my dads friends in the 90's.  Bloke called Alan. My dad used to go in there a lot. Not me though. When i was younger it was seen as a bit more for older people. Not sure they had a footy team though which is why i ended up playing for the Sun Inn.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 06, 2021, 11:10:56 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
8/11 now Oxford on Skybet

We are 7/2

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on December 07, 2021, 12:12:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Just stuck £100 on an Oxford win, easy money at the moment and lessens the pain of defeat
Only ever once bet against the Rovers. When we played away at top of the table Norwich just after we'd lost 0-6 at home to Ipswich. Absolutely stuck on £100 at 1/4.

We got a draw with an 83rd minute own goal...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012