Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:19:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: More jobs in the region ..more fans ?  (Read 2404 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:25:02 am by graingrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: More jobs in the region ..more fans ?
« Reply #1 on December 19, 2020, 08:49:59 am by Bentley Bullet »
Shouldn't this be in the off-topic section?

On reflection, this is the correct place, it's far too optimistic to be put in off-topic.  Positivity is not tolerated there!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 19, 2020, 08:56:30 am by Filo »
https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/News/road-to-jobs-and-growth-in-doncaster-opens

http://unity-yorkshire.com/

I shouldn’t get too optimistic just yet, the link road has taken years to get to this point, the Marina planned is just behind my house, I don’t think I’ll ever see it in my lifetime. In the original plans there was going to be a power station next to the pit using coal from the pit and using carbon capture technology and the carbon pumped to empty oil fields under the sea through a pipeline via Drax. The pit closed 5 years ago and Drax moved to biomass since then.The Marina was a way to smooth through planning for the power station and pipeline by Waystone, the company that is directing this project

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 19, 2020, 09:49:00 am by redarmy82 »
A load more warehouses will go up, that's probably about it.

It's reliant on private sector investment. The land around the Waterfront in town was prepared years ago with a new access road, and has had zero interest in any of the plots available in the last ten years.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 19, 2020, 10:57:38 am by graingrover »
Yorkshire realism is sometimes confused with pessimism I guess .I bet this project takes off because in most economic development zones the essential is good infrastructure to ensure fluid flow of products by road ,sea and air and this has those realities .The local airport ,Hull and Grimsby ports and the motorways...and most important of all easy access to the KEEPMOAT .

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 19, 2020, 11:07:17 am by redarmy82 »
Yorkshire realism is sometimes confused with pessimism I guess .I bet this project takes off because in most economic development zones the essential is good infrastructure to ensure fluid flow of products by road ,sea and air and this has those realities .The local airport ,Hull and Grimsby ports and the motorways...and most important of all easy access to the KEEPMOAT .

Other than distribution centres, what developments would you expect to see here?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 19, 2020, 11:24:44 am by graingrover »
I may be guilty of more optimistic hope than realism but since I do not live in the area I cannot judge too well the real potential .I live not far from Liege in. Belgium and the extension of the old airport and link to the motorway has resulted in the creation of 8000 jobs ..mainly in distribution as you indicate quite understandably .
Liège has fostered air links with Asia and Dubai and of course the need for the airport in Donny to diversify away from tourist destinations ( and Polish) in favour of freight traffic is facilitated by the particularly long runways needed for the larger aircraft on the Asian routes .

https://www.lecho.be/economie-politique/belgique/wallonie/liege-airport-une-success-story-a-8-700-emplois/10265042.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:00:08 pm by graingrover »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 19, 2020, 12:56:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well our airport's been going to close almost since it opened according to many of the the local on the ball pessimists!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 19, 2020, 01:02:35 pm by graingrover »
It could diversify from tourist to freight and in particular attract the import export to Asia businesses that send goods on the biggest aircraft that need the long runways you have at Finningley .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 19, 2020, 02:40:49 pm by drfchound »
I may be guilty of more optimistic hope than realism but since I do not live in the area I cannot judge too well the real potential .I live not far from Liege in. Belgium and the extension of the old airport and link to the motorway has resulted in the creation of 8000 jobs ..mainly in distribution as you indicate quite understandably .
Liège has fostered air links with Asia and Dubai and of course the need for the airport in Donny to diversify away from tourist destinations ( and Polish) in favour of freight traffic is facilitated by the particularly long runways needed for the larger aircraft on the Asian routes .

https://www.lecho.be/economie-politique/belgique/wallonie/liege-airport-une-success-story-a-8-700-emplois/10265042.html

Did much of the money for that development come from EU funding.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 19, 2020, 02:43:38 pm by knockers »
It could diversify from tourist to freight and in particular attract the import export to Asia businesses that send goods on the biggest aircraft that need the long runways you have at Finningley .

It does plenty of freight already and that’s the reason it would never close.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 20, 2020, 09:04:54 am by graingrover »
Drfc hound ...there was a 1 million EU grant upfront for a feasibility study but other than that it was more of a snowball effect from private companies .
https://ec.europa.eu/inea/en/news-events/newsroom/new-intermodal-platform-liege-airport
Projects like this start off with road rail infrastructures then warehousing then 8000 jobs .I have given rDonny mayoral office a.summary of the Liege projects and the co ordinates of the Liege mayoral office .

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 22, 2020, 05:05:03 pm by graingrover »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 29, 2020, 10:41:29 am by graingrover »
The Belgian airport of Liege is a perfect template to be studied to attract employment in Doncaster .The figures for business done ( throughput ) in 20. has just been published .There were 8 million parcels handled there in 2018 and 500 million this year .The airport now has freight links with 250 other airports throughout the world and jobs around the airport are booming of course .I have written to the Mayor of Donny ( no response  yet ) but will try to get the airport onto the  age .They could glean a lot from this Liege project .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 29, 2020, 10:44:29 am by SydneyRover »
Brilliant GG

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 29, 2020, 12:34:25 pm by EasyforDennis »
The Belgian airport of Liege is a perfect template to be studied to attract employment in Doncaster .The figures for business done ( throughput ) in 20. has just been published .There were 8 million parcels handled there in 2018 and 500 million this year .The airport now has freight links with 250 other airports throughout the world and jobs around the airport are booming of course .I have written to the Mayor of Donny ( no response  yet ) but will try to get the airport onto the  age .They could glean a lot from this Liege project .

I think you might be surprised at the number of freight movements between Liege and DSA each week.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 29, 2020, 12:40:40 pm by Filo »
Frieght has been doing well at DSA

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 29, 2020, 02:26:03 pm by redarmy82 »
90% of the freight is ad-hoc.

They really need some regular scheduled services.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 29, 2020, 07:02:02 pm by EasyforDennis »
90% of the freight is ad-hoc.

They really need some regular scheduled services.

Not sure that is correct. The scheduled Nairobi flights will certainly account for more than 10%

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 29, 2020, 11:01:59 pm by drfchound »

Brilliant GG

GG?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 30, 2020, 06:35:27 am by SydneyRover »
It's not like you to criticise people for small mistakes hound.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 30, 2020, 09:25:58 am by EasyforDennis »

2nd flight of the week into DSA from Liege today.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012