Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:50:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Vaccine passport  (Read 7232 times)

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
Re: Vaccine passport
« Reply #150 on November 04, 2021, 12:11:42 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Wold you expect to die one day in 100? Or more to the point, would you take serious precautions if you were told your chances of dying crossing the road were 1 in 100?

There is no zero Covid. There is no 100% security from Covid death. Accept it.

I don't wake up in the morning worrying about being diagnosed with cancer that day even though the odds of that happening and me dying from it are hugely greater than being told i have Covid and then dying from it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on November 04, 2021, 12:19:51 pm by normal rules »
Wold you expect to die one day in 100? Or more to the point, would you take serious precautions if you were told your chances of dying crossing the road were 1 in 100?

I can list a number of riskier areas where death is more likely. This is based on figures from the us in 2019.

Heart disease   1 in 6
Cancer   1 in 7
All preventable causes of death   1 in 24
Chronic lower respiratory disease   1 in 27
Suicide   1 in 88
Opioid overdose   1 in 92

So what are we to do?
Be like Michael Jackson and live in a bubble?

Fear is natural and healthy. It can help us respond to danger more quickly or avoid a dangerous situation altogether. It can also cause us to worry about the wrong things, especially when it comes to estimating our level of risk.

If we overestimate our risk in one area, it can lead to anxiety and interfere with carrying out our normal daily routine. Ironically, it also leads us to underestimate real risks that can injure or kill us.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on November 04, 2021, 12:35:17 pm by ravenrover »
Correct me if I am wrong here but are they all non transmissible illnesses, don't think Covid works like that

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on November 04, 2021, 12:57:55 pm by normal rules »
No, I know, but it’s just a comparison of risk.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on November 04, 2021, 01:05:29 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Anyone of any age who didn't get a flu jab pre Covid and who blames others for being selfish regarding Covid is a hypocrite and nothing they say can be taken seriously.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on November 04, 2021, 01:57:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NR.

It's not remotely a comparison of risk.

The figures you quote are lifetime risks of death. To compare like with like, compare a 55 year old's risk of dying if he contracts COVID with his chance of dying in the same month from heart disease.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #156 on November 04, 2021, 02:16:46 pm by normal rules »
I take your point.
The point I made, badly, was that we are surrounded by risk.

I am 52. I consider myself reasonably fit and healthy. I am double jabbed and will be taking my booster.
I consider the risks of not going about my normal business more detrimental to me and those close to me than getting covid.
As an example. I’m going to see rovers at scunny this sat with my wife. And will be in a  confined space with a crowd of 6 or 700 others, who I have no knowledge about re jabs, covid exposure etc.
I’m happy to take that risk.
I lost my mum three years ago. She initially had a stroke, believed to have been brought on by years of smoking. But she died 5 months later of ovarian cancer which she had no idea she had, until it was too late. She was in her early 70’s. She was not scared of cancer. Or dying of it.
She would not want me to be scared of covid. I’m not.
Life itself comes with risks. Many of them.
Sometimes we just have to get on, despite the risks.
Otherwise, what life do we have ?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on November 04, 2021, 03:32:08 pm by Axholme Lion »
I take your point.

I am 52. I consider myself reasonably fit and healthy. I am double jabbed and will be taking my booster.
I consider the risks of not going about my normal business more detrimental to me and those close to me than getting covid.
As an example. I’m going to see rovers at scunny this sat with my wife. And will be in a  confined space with a crowd of 6 or 700 others, who I have no knowledge about re jabs, covid exposure etc.
I lost my mum three years ago. She initially had a stroke, believed to have been brought on by years of smoking. But she died 5 months later of ovarian cancer which she had no idea she had, until it was too late. She was in her early 70’s. She was not scared of cancer. Or dying of it.

Totally agree with every word mate. Have your jabs, sanitize regularly and wear a mask in shops. I can't see what else i can do. You have to live your life though or what's the point of it all?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on November 04, 2021, 03:51:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I entirely agree that we have to live with risk. I do that every day.

That doesn't mean we ignore it. It is infantile to just throw your hands up and say that there is risk in everything, so deal with it, when there are simple things we can do to reduce the risk. (And I'm not saying you are like that NR, but plenty in here do seem to have that attitude.) yes we have to get on with life despite the risks, but if we simply pretend the risk isn't there, we are being wilfully stupid. Especially when the actions needed to minimise risks are so small.

You'd not cross a quiet road blindfolded. So why be blase about the risk from COVID?

Some figures by the way.

A person in their fifties in the UK has roughly a 1 in 300 chance of dying in the next year. That equates to roughly a one in 6000 chance of dying in the next fortnight.

An unvaccinated person in their 50s in the UK who catches COVID has roughly a 1 in 400 chance of dying in the next fortnight. That's how to assess the risk.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 04:04:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on November 04, 2021, 03:54:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I take your point.

Totally agree with every word mate. Have your jabs, sanitize regularly and wear a mask in shops. I can't see what else i can do. You have to live your life though or what's the point of it all?

That's a reasonable approach AL.

Problem is, I was in a packed CostCo last night. Maybe 300 other people in there. I saw ONE other person wearing a mask. This at a time when maybe one person in 40 in England has the virus. Large parts of the population are choosing not to give a f**k and thousands WILL die prematurely because of that.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #160 on November 04, 2021, 03:59:57 pm by Axholme Lion »
I take your point.

Problem is, I was in a packed CostCo last night. Maybe 300 other people in there. I saw ONE other person wearing a mask. This at a time when maybe one person in 40 in England has the virus. Large parts of the population are choosing not to give a f**k and thousands WILL die prematurely because of that.

We need to remember that vast numbers of people are thick. :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #161 on November 04, 2021, 04:07:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I take your point.

We need to remember that vast numbers of people are thick. :)

No they aren't.

The vast majority of people have done the sensible thing in this epidemic when given clear guidance.

If they are not given clear guidance on an issue like this, it is impossible for most people to make sensible judgements of what risk they are under, and how their behaviour contributes to risk. Especially when they see the waste of a bag of skin we call a PM sat without a mask on next to a 95 year old at COP26.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on November 04, 2021, 04:52:47 pm by ravenrover »
You missed fast asleep ..... without a mask on BST

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on November 04, 2021, 08:58:13 pm by drfchound »
I take your point.

There will be plenty of room to sit away from the masses on Saturday mate.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on November 04, 2021, 09:31:51 pm by normal rules »
I’ll not be sitting.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on November 04, 2021, 09:37:04 pm by wilts rover »
I take your point.

AL for Parliament!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012