Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:19:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Any Good News?  (Read 7044 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Any Good News?
« on August 11, 2020, 06:58:07 pm by Alan Southstand »
Seems to be somewhat scarce!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Any Good News?
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2020, 07:20:50 pm by dknward2 »
So no loans returning then

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2020, 07:21:35 pm by MachoMadness »
Ennis and John I could see moving on to a higher level this season. Not sure how much Ramsey will have developed though, he was only here 5 minutes! He did look impressive though so it'd be great to get him back.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 11, 2020, 07:27:19 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Really don't think Ennis is anywhere near good enough for the Championship yet.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 11, 2020, 07:32:52 pm by drfchound »
So no loans returning then

That isn’t a surprise to me.
It isn’t very often that loan players come back for a second loan spell the following season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 11, 2020, 07:51:22 pm by selby »
  Agree on Ennis, and John isn't as a left back he was not Division 1

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 11, 2020, 08:11:31 pm by IDM »

Seems to be somewhat scarce!

Yes, I have some good news.

None of my family, friends nor work colleagues have been affected by Covid and I have a well run football club to support.

I’m taking redundancy due to the pandemic affecting my employer’s business, but I’m sure something else will come along.  I will just have to be patient.

But yeah, it’s all good.!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:37:06 pm by IDM »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 11, 2020, 08:32:14 pm by dknward2 »
Some good news we are getting a few trialists coming in some really good names apparently that really want to sign for us. I guess as long as they impress and we can do a deal then that's fine with me

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 11, 2020, 09:22:39 pm by drfc1951 »
Some kitsons replying to Liam Hoden about this on his twitter thing.What planet do these people live on.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 11, 2020, 09:36:11 pm by ravenrover »
Trialists? How strange, denied from certain quarters everytime I mentioned it
Seems like A Trialist will be making an appearance on team sheets

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 11, 2020, 09:45:05 pm by IDM »
If you read the DFP website there’s a feature on there which implies the club’s policy on trialists has recently changed to allow this.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 11, 2020, 09:47:13 pm by drfchound »
But I thought we weren’t getting trialists any time soon.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 11, 2020, 09:48:15 pm by drfc1951 »
As long as the club has the correct protocols in place now i dont see a problem.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 11, 2020, 09:50:13 pm by drfc1951 »

Maybe the club has got the correct protocols in place now that they didnt have last week.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 11, 2020, 09:50:23 pm by IDM »

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/update-whether-doncaster-rovers-will-run-rule-over-trialists-2938963

“ But the presence of talented players within the free agent market, plus positive progress through stages of training restrictions has led to the club relaxing their initial stance.”

I think that clarifies the issue, doesn’t it.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 11, 2020, 09:54:06 pm by drfchound »
To be honest IDM, I have thought all along that it would be difficult NOT to have trialists down at Cantley Park otherwise how could we ever have a close look at potential signings.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:58:09 pm by drfchound »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 11, 2020, 09:55:38 pm by silent majority »
There are  exceptionally strong restrictions in place surrounding training and meeting the government regulations because of the Covid issue. And the club have insisted there wouldn't be any trialists this pre- season, but under medical advice they've had a change of heart.

That doesn't mean it was wrong when I mentioned it, that was the clubs position. Just because it's changed, like a lot of things in football, it does happen. 

The club have publicly admitted the change in policy.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 11, 2020, 10:06:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
However, it does make you ask yourself that if the Club are working very hard and know the players they want, why are we trialling anyone?

Last summer’s debacle warranted us having to look at what free agents were available and getting them in to check them out. But, surely, with the amount of work DM and AH have been doing identifying talent all over the place, please don’t tell me we’re already having to check out people we perhaps had never even had on our list.

It’s confusing to me and it paints a not so well thought out plan at all. Don’t get me wrong, there will be plenty of lads out there that find themselves cast aside, due to this ongoing predicament with the virus and some of them may well be gems, but it’s just not sitting right with me. I appreciate, these ‘triallists’ may well be additional to the loanees we are in the process of securing (hopefully, for the season) and, if they are, then all’s well and good. But the timing of this announcement and the apparent change of action, leaves me suspicious that (maybe) our plans are not quite working out. Hope I’m a million miles away from the truth, but I can’t help feeling uneasy about it. Has Whiteman got to be sold first, for example? Who knows.

We trialled some very good young lads last season and it all came to nothing, so let’s hope we see something a little more positive in the next few days.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 11, 2020, 10:14:36 pm by vaya »
I've some good news.

It's nearly time for me to dig out my 'lets just resign from the League" post for this transfer window.

It's always happy to see the light of day, like a sarcastic pit pony.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 11, 2020, 10:24:27 pm by drfchound »
I can’t see too much in this thread to suggest you might need to put that post out vaya.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 11, 2020, 10:25:50 pm by tyke1962 »
I remember a few years back when Keith Hill was managing us we had this trialist pre season .

You automatically think has it got to this , we were in the Championship at the time and as ever without a pot to pyss in .

Anyway this kid must have impressed because we signed him on a 12 month contract , that proved in essence to be a huge mistake because he should have got a three year one .

First few games of the season he wasn't too great , missed a ton of chances and looked a bit of a show boater .

All of a sudden it clicked around October time , the kid was phenomenal , scored all types of goals , 30 yard worldies , headers , tap in's , at times he was unplayable .

On new years eve he bagged a hat trick against Leeds United at Oakwell in a 4-1 win , the lad was sensational , ran the Leeds defence ragged .

Ricardo Vaz Te is one of the best attacking talents I've ever seen at Oakwell and I've seen a few .

In early January he was sold to West Ham , 6 months left on his contract and far far too good for us .

He fired West Ham to the play offs and scored the winning goal in the play off final against Blackpool .

I've never turned my nose up at trialists since because sometimes you just never know what gems you may discover .

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 11, 2020, 10:35:38 pm by Donnyjim »
I for one, will just be happy to have a club come the start of next season. If that means we have to sell Ben, then so be it. We have all had to adapt and drfc will be no exception.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 11, 2020, 10:41:21 pm by Filo »
John Oster was a trialist, turned out to be a damn good signing

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 11, 2020, 11:12:44 pm by tyke1962 »
John Oster was a trialist, turned out to be a damn good signing

To say the least , cracking player was John Oster .

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 11, 2020, 11:12:55 pm by IDM »
However, it does make you ask yourself that if the Club are working very hard and know the players they want, why are we trialling anyone?

Last summer’s debacle warranted us having to look at what free agents were available and getting them in to check them out. But, surely, with the amount of work DM and AH have been doing identifying talent all over the place, please don’t tell me we’re already having to check out people we perhaps had never even had on our list.

It’s confusing to me and it paints a not so well thought out plan at all. Don’t get me wrong, there will be plenty of lads out there that find themselves cast aside, due to this ongoing predicament with the virus and some of them may well be gems, but it’s just not sitting right with me. I appreciate, these ‘triallists’ may well be additional to the loanees we are in the process of securing (hopefully, for the season) and, if they are, then all’s well and good. But the timing of this announcement and the apparent change of action, leaves me suspicious that (maybe) our plans are not quite working out. Hope I’m a million miles away from the truth, but I can’t help feeling uneasy about it. Has Whiteman got to be sold first, for example? Who knows.

We trialled some very good young lads last season and it all came to nothing, so let’s hope we see something a little more positive in the next few days.

f**king hell Alan, the club can’t do anything right for you can it.?

You’re impatient about transfers yet you question the club when it explains how it is going about finding players, that we can now offer trials despite Covid.

If you fell into a bucket of tits, would you come out sucking your thumb.?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 11, 2020, 11:29:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
Talking of tits!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 11, 2020, 11:37:47 pm by tyke1962 »
The year we had Vaz Te on trial the pre season looked a bit underwhelming to say the least .

I think that summer under Keith Hill we spent 250k on Craig Davies from Chesterfield , that was it as a championship club , the season looked to be a struggle to say the least .

However looking back here's the thing , we get a young Danny Drinkwater on loan from Man Utd for 6 months .

We add a young kid from Man City on loan too , goes by the name of Kieran Trippier .

I'd heard of none of em .

This young 18 year old kid makes his debut from our academy called John Stones and he does half ok too that season .

From a position of total apathy we end up with a decent team who more than hold their own that particular year is my point .

You just never know , sometimes it looks bloody bleak but you can be pleasantly surprised too .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 11, 2020, 11:41:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Usual suspects looking for negativity and a stick to beat the club with.

Whilst Alan is very analytical, I would have thought by know he would trust DM's judgement.

Given the circumstances, we knew there would be plenty of free agents but giving them a chance to show themselves with the Covid situation was clearly going to be a problem. If we have found a way of accommodating players that DM think are worth a look, then we would be foolish not to take up the chance. This does not stop DM continuing to pursue targets does it!

Wasn't long ago that folk were getting in a tiz about Steven Taylor who was on trial although I was glad that didn't work out. Give me Anderson any day of the week over that primadonna!.

I'm really surprised if anyone were pinning their hopes on any of the loanees coming back. Common sense tells us they passed their development objective and their clubs will want to see them test themselves at the next level or, make a decision on their long term future. Anything else would be a failure of the purpose of the loans. Maybe the only exception could be Ramsey however, I think he would have impressed his parents clubs coaches in the short time he was with us.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 12, 2020, 12:56:57 am by RoversAlias »
You can't make it up, can you. If we can't have trialists, people criticise the club. When it transpires we now can have trialists...people criticise the club. Sign players we haven't run the rule over in training beforehand? Someone criticises the club. Sign players we have brought in to trial first...you guessed it, someone criticises the club.

Doncaster Rovers could announce tomorrow that they've signed Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and Virgil Van Dijk for £500k and I bet somebody in the fanbase would find a reason to complain.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012