Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:46:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Any Good News?  (Read 7042 times)

andysly

• VSC Member
Re: Any Good News?
« Reply #30 on August 12, 2020, 02:39:14 am by andysly »
You can't make it up, can you. If we can't have trialists, people criticise the club. When it transpires we now can have trialists...people criticise the club. Sign players we haven't run the rule over in training beforehand? Someone criticises the club. Sign players we have brought in to trial first...you guessed it, someone criticises the club.

Doncaster Rovers could announce tomorrow that they've signed Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and Virgil Van Dijk for £500k and I bet somebody in the fanbase would find a reason to complain.

That Van Dijk's made some mistakes recently, and isn't getting any younger, rubbish Rovers  ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 12, 2020, 07:46:26 am by NickDRFC »
I can sort of see Alan’s point. When questioned about trialists, SM posted this only last week:

“ I think we've had a very good idea who we wanted to sign long before we got to this point. Adam Henshall has said that pretty much since the day he arrived.

So, I would say yes to your assumptions but much more detailed in the way that makes a trial pretty much superfluous. In other words we wouldn't be taking a flyer with anybody, but all signings have some element of risk.”

Why not just say that we were following medical advice and, should that change, we would be getting trialists in? It’s a confusing message that a few days ago any trial was said to be unnecessary and yet now we’ll be getting several trialists in.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 12, 2020, 08:29:08 am by IDM »
But a few days ago we were in a position where it wasn’t feasible to take trialists in, so the argument at the time was can we manage without having them, and I think that was the basis of the statement you refer to.

But the situation has changed, therefore if DM can have a fresh look at players in the flesh, regardless of the previous research, whats the problem.?

Isn’t the bigger issue that we select and develop a squad to be competitive for the season, not who said what and when.??

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 12, 2020, 08:33:06 am by Metalmicky »
However, it does make you ask yourself that if the Club are working very hard and know the players they want, why are we trialling anyone?

Last summer’s debacle warranted us having to look at what free agents were available and getting them in to check them out. But, surely, with the amount of work DM and AH have been doing identifying talent all over the place, please don’t tell me we’re already having to check out people we perhaps had never even had on our list.

I (sort of) agree with Alan (and Nick) in that if the Club know who they want already, they shouldn't require a trial - their talent has already been identified..... no?

Usual suspects looking for negativity and a stick to beat the club with.

Whilst Alan is very analytical

Surely Alan would be ALANytical

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 12, 2020, 08:43:08 am by IDM »
Yes it is perfectly logical that some players have been previously analysed enough not to need a trial, hence the previous statements.

However, I can see that it still makes sense to bring them on for a bit to see how they look to gel with the rest of the squad.

Plus there are bound to be other players for whom we haven’t found out everything yet - new opportunities arising etc.

Regardless of who said what and when, the ability to take in trialists can only be seen as a positive.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:54:10 am by IDM »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 12, 2020, 08:44:38 am by IDM »
Talking of tits!

Alan I was exasperated and frustrated at the negativity and suspicious nature of your post.  That’s all.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 12, 2020, 08:48:30 am by Metalmicky »

However, I can see that it still makes sense to bring them on for a bit to see how they look to gel with the rest of the squad.

I think how they sanitize with other players is irrelevant......  :silly:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 12, 2020, 09:01:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I can sort of see Alan’s point. When questioned about trialists, SM posted this only last week:

“ I think we've had a very good idea who we wanted to sign long before we got to this point. Adam Henshall has said that pretty much since the day he arrived.

So, I would say yes to your assumptions but much more detailed in the way that makes a trial pretty much superfluous. In other words we wouldn't be taking a flyer with anybody, but all signings have some element of risk.”

Why not just say that we were following medical advice and, should that change, we would be getting trialists in? It’s a confusing message that a few days ago any trial was said to be unnecessary and yet now we’ll be getting several trialists in.

Obvious answers though aren't there?

1. The players identified didn't want to come.
2. The players may still be in talks, weighing up offers.
3. Waiting for other clubs to answer on said players.
4. Other players now available have moved the goalposts somewhat eg you may identify Curtis main as a potential signing then Billy sharp comes available you change your virw. (Random players).

Whatsost.important is being flexible and doing what we can. Some opportunities will come off and some will not.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 12, 2020, 09:33:42 am by silent majority »

Yes it can sound confusing.

But as I reported before that was what came directly from the club, that trials would be difficult, if not impossible, because of Covid. That has now changed and that limited trialling can be allowed.

But as regards the list of players that DM and AH have identified then as far as I'm aware that remains exactly the same. One of them has already signed, and discussions are still taking place with other clubs. AH in his recent interview stressed that he works one transfer window in front of himself and doesn't wait until we get there before identifying who he needs or who he will recommend.

So, the fact that we are now trialling doesn't necessarily fit with what has come from the club in recent weeks, but I'm sure a quick call will throw some clarity on that situation.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 12, 2020, 09:35:01 am by Alan Southstand »

That is so far from the truth that it’s laughable. Come on, DBR, you’re much better than that! My comments were based more about what has been put out by the Club and I find very little, so far, to get excited about. Nobody is beating anybody with anything - the only thing I’ve seen remotely positive is Lokilo signing and we still have an u18 team/squad. It was only the other day that I learned, from SM, that we had 6 friendlies arranged! No suspicious, devious undercurrents, unlike a few who have immediately sought to ridicule and denigrate someone’s worried post.

I have absolute faith in both DM and AH and I’m totally convinced that we couldn’t have a better combination at the top end of the football side of the Club and I have said it on more than one occasion in the recent past. People need to have a good, hard look at themselves and read what is written, instead of what they think is written. If the Club want us to be a little more positive, for goodness sake, put something a bit more positive out there.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 12, 2020, 09:56:35 am by selby »
  I am going to make a few guesses,
   1) we field a full eleven starters and have a full bench of players for the first game.
   2) we have players in the squad that have not been mentioned on here before they signed for us.
   3) Some of our supporters will be excited surprised and  very pleased with the new signings and will post on here saying so.
   4) Some will post on here we have taken the cheap option and are underwhelmed with the signings Like Halliday was last season and in their first few games are not given much slack.
   5) the Budget will be the main topic until at least Christmas.
   6) the  Budget will be said to be less than last year when nobody except the people running the club really know.
   7) the new players will be judged in the first thirty minutes of a game by lots of supporters.
   8) I will not be able to put names to the new players in a game util at least Christmas.
   9) I will most likely never be able to pronounce their names correctly ever.
  10) We will still turn up moaning, and on emotional highs during the season no matter what.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 12, 2020, 10:09:38 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

That is so far from the truth that it’s laughable. Come on, DBR, you’re much better than that! My comments were based more about what has been put out by the Club and I find very little, so far, to get excited about. Nobody is beating anybody with anything - the only thing I’ve seen remotely positive is Lokilo signing and we still have an u18 team/squad. It was only the other day that I learned, from SM, that we had 6 friendlies arranged! No suspicious, devious undercurrents, unlike a few who have immediately sought to ridicule and denigrate someone’s worried post.

I have absolute faith in both DM and AH and I’m totally convinced that we couldn’t have a better combination at the top end of the football side of the Club and I have said it on more than one occasion in the recent past. People need to have a good, hard look at themselves and read what is written, instead of what they think is written. If the Club want us to be a little more positive, for goodness sake, put something a bit more positive out there.

Alan. I don't regard you as a usual suspect, hence my separate reference to you! Sorry if you took that inference!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 12, 2020, 10:33:13 am by IDM »

The club will put out positive news when there is some.?  Otherwise they would unnecessarily be fuelling speculation and rumour.

I’m glad you say you have absolute faith in the manager - just wish you had said that in the other post which came across as negative, and when you said you suspected things afoot like having to sell whiteman maybe.?

I’m not sure how else we can interpret your posts other than by what is written.  I have no issue with you having concerns and being cautious, but I have to say you do come over as glass half empty.

I’m sure you care deeply about DRFC and my responses aren’t meant to be personal - the negativity just frustrates me..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 12, 2020, 10:42:26 am by roversdude »
   1) we field a full eleven starters and have a full bench of players for the first game.
   2) we have players in the squad that have not been mentioned on here before they signed for us.
   3) Some of our supporters will be excited surprised and  very pleased with the new signings and will post on here saying so.
   4) Some will post on here we have taken the cheap option and are underwhelmed with the signings Like Halliday was last season and in their first few games are not given much slack.
   6) the  Budget will be said to be less than last year when nobody except the people running the club really know.
   7) the new players will be judged in the first thirty minutes of a game by lots of supporters.
   8) I will not be able to put names to the new players in a game util at least Christmas.
  10) We will still turn up moaning, and on emotional highs during the season no matter what.

It’s like VSC bingo

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 12, 2020, 10:46:25 am by Donnywolf »

Seems about right - you just missed

11) Wolfie brings some sweets to herald start of new Season
12) Wolfie spends minutes 14 to 16 wondering if he might win Pukka Pie draw (will there be one ?)
13) Wolfie spends most of game slagging Ref

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 12, 2020, 11:18:22 am by keith79 »
Rushford is overrated. Rubbish rovers.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 12, 2020, 11:19:37 am by Metalmicky »

Who does he play for...?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 12, 2020, 05:24:07 pm by Janso »

Who does he play for...?

Manchesthare United

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 12, 2020, 06:08:38 pm by Chris the Rover »
To be honest, I will just be happy to be able to watch my club play football. If we are not challenging at the top end, or if we are fighting against relegation, so what? I will be happy to see my club survive all this coronavirus crap. Anything else is meaningless. If we sign no players or ten players doesn’t make a happorth of difference to me. Just be thankful we still have a team to support.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 12, 2020, 06:54:41 pm by Paul Simpson »
Well said 👍

Metalmicky

• Forum Member

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 13, 2020, 01:45:09 pm by since-1969 »
Is it good news that we are still looking for a goal keeper when we have two on the books or that we have two tentative enquires in , if your our initial enquiry fails? . I thought we had no money ?

We are at least 5 or more players short without this vague enquiry we know little about . I feel the frustration DM must be having as he will have little time to prepare for the season and it’s behind closed doors . 

Why is it when teams come looking at our players it’s all over the social media but when we make enquires its just speculation or rumours or in most cases wide of the mark .

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 13, 2020, 01:56:25 pm by Metalmicky »
Is it good news that we are still looking for a goal keeper when we have two on the books or that we have two tentative enquires in , if your our initial enquiry fails? . I thought we had no money ?

We are at least 5 or more players short without this vague enquiry we know little about . I feel the frustration DM must be having as he will have little time to prepare for the season and it’s behind closed doors . 

Why is it when teams come looking at our players it’s all over the social media but when we make enquires its just speculation or rumours or in most cases wide of the mark .

Crikey - you're a ray of sunshine aren't you...

Not sure what else you want really... DM has selected his number one pick for goalkeeper and is confident of securing.... but has had tentative talks with two other clubs should this not come through... and he has three other players awaiting final confirmation - with agreements in principle.

Is the link I provided to a different story...?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 13, 2020, 01:59:05 pm by IDM »

Read the article properly.

We have a keeper expected to sign within days, and if that falls through DM is looking at two others.

Hardly a “vague enquiry”..

You omitted to mention the report also says DM is close to getting 3 other players, focussing on forwards.

Yes; it is positive news, yet you seem to feel the need to turn it into a negative.

Why the f**k do you bother:?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 13, 2020, 01:59:33 pm by Chris Black come back »
We have one keeper on the books, after Lawlor left for Oldham Athletic.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 13, 2020, 02:31:22 pm by idler »

Maybe DM isn't too frustrated as it is his call who he wants in the team.
He would probably rather wait for the right player than get a body in and then regret it,especially if money is tight.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 13, 2020, 02:52:24 pm by since-1969 »

He would probably rather wait for the right player than get a body in and then regret it,especially if money is tight.
We are behind the tide as usual , loans can be enquired about by  dozen and then you can take your pick on who’s made available. Signing players on the other hand , is always going to be  down to length of contract and wages we offer , neither of which can we compete on particularly under a cap system . Frustrating as it is , I know we’ll turn out a decent side with DM either way . All this talk about players being even more available due to the change in circumstances of Covid-19 and the need for clubs to tighten their belts and on top a salary cap all seem not to ring true . 
This to me  all adds to the image that we will again turn a team in DRFC colours but not again have players beyond their loan spell . I believe we need 5-8 to fill the gaps if we do loose any more .  Who’d be a manager in L1 or L2 with all this to contend with .

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 13, 2020, 03:22:29 pm by MachoMadness »
Reckon that's a positive story. I'm just glad I'll have a club to watch next season tbh. With some decent players in the side and a top class manager, too!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 13, 2020, 03:33:57 pm by IDM »
With a salary cap surely we are more likely to be competitive for signings vs wages, as most clubs in the division.?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 13, 2020, 04:03:07 pm by NickDRFC »

Certainly last year I believe it was the other way round, and the board were getting a bit frustrated at Moore for dithering with signings.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012