Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:18:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matty Craig  (Read 2344 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Matty Craig
« on February 11, 2024, 08:54:33 am by Branton Rover »
Having received a very soft yellow card early on he demonstrated experience beyond his years yesterday and we saw glimpses of what the lad can bring to the team.

Given that we are unlikely to see Ben Close again and with yesterday’s shift in formation to a 2 man central midfield it was important that we had younger legs doing the work and Craig linked well with Bailey who had imo his best game in that position.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jmt23

• Forum Member
Re: Matty Craig
« Reply #1 on February 11, 2024, 09:19:45 am by jmt23 »
I could see from his first game he had very good quality on the ball, and a calmness to play his game - working with Close suited him and his style they were passing between themselves and I just thought ooh yes this lad has it - what I wasn’t sure on was his physicality, could he handle mens football when they are in your face, he answered that today, he is a good size and can definitely handle this level.

I’ve seen comments saying he struggled? I felt he ran our game, always present for the ball - strange how we all see the same game differently. I have said it before though, a mass of fans here do not like these types of midfielders.

It was a good game for the lad, but they were not great, much bigger tests to see if he really has it.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 11, 2024, 10:01:50 am by KingKendrick »
Looks like he has been schooled at a prem academy with his movement and passing ability. Just needs to add the physical edge which will come and probably why spurs have sent him out on loan to league 2. I know it’s not a hard task but with close out he is the most talented midfielder we’ve got. Hopefully with Westbrooke close to returning we can start to dictate the tempo of games with those 2 in the middle and Bailey doing the donkey work

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 11, 2024, 10:11:10 am by GazLaz »
McCann described him as “sensational”. I’m sure he is but we won’t see anywhere near the best of him will we. I’d like to see the list of players we’ve take on first time loans in the last 10 years and then look at their contribution. We’ve had some great ones but lots and lots of ordinary ones. It’s not as if they were all poor players, it’s just very hard for them getting thrown into an alien environment and playing in a league much different to what they are used to.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 11, 2024, 03:03:40 pm by dickos1 »
McCann described him as “sensational”. I’m sure he is but we won’t see anywhere near the best of him will we. I’d like to see the list of players we’ve take on first time loans in the last 10 years and then look at their contribution. We’ve had some great ones but lots and lots of ordinary ones. It’s not as if they were all poor players, it’s just very hard for them getting thrown into an alien environment and playing in a league much different to what they are used to.

I don’t think we can really argue with McCanns record though.
No doubt we’ve signed some shite over the years on loan but McCann has made some very good loan signings over his two tenures

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 11, 2024, 05:33:04 pm by Jimmydee »
The lad managed a couple of good important interceptions and he threaded some great forward passes, his physique is good and he isn’t afraid to get stuck in, I thought that on comparison, Biggins and Hurst looked like wimps when they came on

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 11, 2024, 05:34:55 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Him and Bailey right now are our 2 best options and by quite far. The other fit trio are just dreadful.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 11, 2024, 05:35:24 pm by roversdude »
The lad managed a couple of good important interceptions and he threaded some great forward passes, his physique is good and he isn’t afraid to get stuck in, I thought that on comparison, Biggins and Hurst looked like wimps when they came on
I actually said we’d brought a little lad on when Hurst came on especially the way he had his shorts pulled up

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 11, 2024, 05:47:06 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
It was great yesterday to see the lad continually showing for the ball from the keeper or CB’s. Yeah he lost it a few times, and yeah he was closed down, but he also helped start a lot of our attacks.

I know McCann said he’s similar to herbie, and I can see it, maybe not quite as talented at this stage, but if we can get him in similar positions for the rest of the season I can see him really kicking on

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2024, 10:33:09 am by pib »

Success
Ethan Galbraith
Taylor Richards
Niall Ennis (had gone on loan to Shrewsbury before us, but only played 83 mins)
Cameron John
Jacob Ramsey
Herbie Kane
Niall Mason
Keshi Anderson

OK
Aaron Lewis

Flop
Tyler Roberts
Max Woltman
Todd Miller
Tiago Cukur
Rodrigo Vilca (first loan but had played 20-odd times for a top club in Peru)
Rodney Kongolo
James Horsfield
Eddy Lecygne

N/A
Louie Marsh (injured)
Matthew Craig (not had long enough)
Rahman Tulloch (injured)

Just my opinions on how to categorise them. Some exceptions, but I'd say a lot of the "successes" have gone on to better things post-DRFC, and a lot of the "flops" haven't.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2024, 10:47:18 am by Filo »

Success
Ethan Galbraith
Taylor Richards
Cameron John
Jacob Ramsey
Herbie Kane
Niall Mason
Keshi Anderson

OK
Aaron Lewis

Flop
Tyler Roberts
Max Woltman
Todd Miller
Tiago Cukur
Rodney Kongolo
James Horsfield
Eddy Lecygne

N/A
Louie Marsh (injured)
Rahman Tulloch (injured)

Just my opinions on how to categorise them. Some exceptions, but I'd say a lot of the "successes" have gone on to better things post-DRFC, and a lot of the "flops" haven't.
Malik Wilks?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2024, 10:54:27 am by pib »

Success
Ethan Galbraith
Taylor Richards
Cameron John
Jacob Ramsey
Herbie Kane
Niall Mason
Keshi Anderson

OK
Aaron Lewis

Flop
Tyler Roberts
Max Woltman
Todd Miller
Tiago Cukur
Rodney Kongolo
James Horsfield
Eddy Lecygne

N/A
Louie Marsh (injured)
Rahman Tulloch (injured)

Malik Wilks?

Wasn't his first loan. He'd played 23 times for Accrington and 6 times for Grimsby before joining us.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 13, 2024, 09:52:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Think McCann dropped Aaron Lewis pretty quickly after signing him. A rare error that season.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 13, 2024, 10:02:21 pm by Bessie Red »
Played very well again tonight!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 13, 2024, 10:03:17 pm by drfchound »
Yeah, he did.
Got stuck in and showed his mettle.
Could turn into our new Herbie.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 13, 2024, 10:03:42 pm by jmt23 »
Just to put this post towards the top again - Matty Craig is a proper player, he can do all sides of the game. He is growing in confidence and is just getting better and better.

I will be interested to see where he goes next and how high he can play.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 13, 2024, 10:10:42 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
The experience he got from a game like that, will have been invaluable. Two good performances on the trot, keep it going.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 13, 2024, 10:24:05 pm by PDX_Rover »
He’s definitely got a handle on the requirements of League 2. Very good again tonight. Not fazed and up for a fight. Excellent play for Haks’ goal.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 13, 2024, 10:31:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
All good to hear. Sounds like he's progressed in each game which is a sign of good intelligence, learning the role and adapting  which isn't easy  especially for centre mid players.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 13, 2024, 11:30:16 pm by Pancho Regan »

I don’t think we can really argue with McCanns record though.
No doubt we’ve signed some shite over the years on loan but McCann has made some very good loan signings over his two tenures

Dickos, you gave big praise to Craig after Saturday’s game and I didn’t wholeheartedly agree.

But you called it right because I watched him closely tonight and he was brilliant. Much stronger than he looked on Saturday, really got stuck in but also showed some excellent touches.
His work to set up Adelakun’s goal was superb.

He looked a real talent tonight.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 13, 2024, 11:35:03 pm by Ryaldinhio »
I think he has looked a good player from day 1, maybe just needed to settle. Could be a great player for us till end of season.

Bit surprised in Spurs extending contract on him at his age other than to secure a fee which means it won't be with us!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012