Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:01:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Your chance to shine!!  (Read 2426 times)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
Your chance to shine!!
« on October 17, 2010, 11:05:29 pm by rover-n-out »
Here's a hypothetical situation.

Sean and Richard leave the Rovers suddenly, to persue their managerial careers in the Prem with Wolves.
Now, John Ryan is sick and tired of hearing the moans and gripes on hear from us lot about tactics, players, management, and general running of our football club, that he decides to give one of us a crack at managing the Rovers until replacements are found.
It's a lottery and one of us gets the nod.
Imagine it's you, and bear in mind we have a game on Tuesday.

What would you do differently from Sean and Richard that would get us a result, and make John Ryan think twice about looking for a replacement. Who would you drop from the line-up, who would come in. You have a fully fit squad to pick from, so what would you do eh?
BTW, you are allowed to pick an assistant manager from this forum, and tell us why you chose that person to assist you.

I know this could turn into a long thread with reasons why you would change tactics, players, etc. so do your best to make it as succinct as possible.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re:Your chance to shine!!
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2010, 11:18:29 pm by Superspy »
hmm, i wouldn't change massive amounts, and i'm sure not many on the forum would...but i'd move woods out further left, with stock in the middle where we know he's most effective (usually)....the question is who would i drop...and im struggling with it, but i'd have to take out gillet i think, purely because at the minute i can't bring myself to drop oster copps or hayter. this IMO would help our attack speed...as i've said before i believe our current problem going forward is we play a lot from the right and woods in the middle is too left footed...so more often than not he has to turn on the ball...which wastes time. In contrast stock can release the ball a lot quicker.

i'd also have chambers at left back instead of friend as im still not a massive friend fan, i honestly dont know if hes just not that great at getting back...or if its that he's too isolated on the left...either way chambers would be who i'd go for.

i'd be having copps take the free kicks and oster/stock taking the corners.

think thats about it. i dont really know enough of you properly to pick an assistant, haha.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 18, 2010, 10:38:28 am by CusworthRovers »
I would never change a winning side. Long term I would be looking to get Martis and Thomas at CH. I would have one almighty headache in JOC/Dumbuya/Friend/Chambo fighting it out for 2 full back spots.

I suspect I would be going with Chambo and Dumbuya for now, ......don't panic wouldn't leave Jimmy out, as I know I would never have a fully fit back 4, hence he would be playing somewhere in the back 4.

I would need to work out how I can play Woods and Stock together in the middle to form a famous American hippy summer of love music festival.

I would also be easing Brooker into more games, to give me more options and more headaches of playing 2 up front.

As for an assistant, I would suggest any of the chicks off here, as it would give more of an advantage in a bit of slap and tickle, hows your father or even an excuse me vicar

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 18, 2010, 12:43:55 pm by Alan Southstand »
For Tuesday, assuming Jimmy gets the all-clear, I'd put him and Martis together again at CB. Dumbaya deserves to keep the RB slot, so the only problem left is at LB and a new loanee would be brought in.

Midfield was good 2nd half on Saturday and it was noticeable that Oster was moved back to a more central position and that's where he performs his magic. I reckon, for balance, Woods needs to move out wider left to leave room for a rejuvinated(?) Stock to come back into the middle.

Billy cannot be moved.

So, it's:

Sullivan

Dumbaya  O'Connor   Martis   Loanee

Copps   Stock   Gillet   Oster   Woods

Sharp

Subs: Hayter, Lockwood, Hird, Brooker, Shiels

Longer term, I'd be wanting a decent CB!

VikingJames

« Reply #4 on October 18, 2010, 04:01:46 pm by VikingJames »
Again, assuming JOC and Martis are back...

Sullivan
Dumbuya JOC Martis Loanee
Stock Gillett
Oster
Coppinger Sharp Hayter

If we don't get a loanee in for LB, then a back four of Dumbuya, Hird/Webster, Martis and JOC.

Woods has been playing poorly for me, and I just think Stock is far better at that central role of anchoring the midfield and holding it together. Plus, Stock is the captain, and that is the way it should be.

Tactically, I'd go for it against Derby. We are the home team, so we have to do all we can to win the game. Tell the guys to get the ball into Billy's feet as often as possible, and when we work a wide situation, get the ball into the box as anything can happen if you whip a good cross in. Gilly and Stock doing the simple stuff of breaking up play and distributing the ball, leaving Oster free to roam and do his thing. Copps and Hayter running the channels when necessary to give Sharp the room to be on the end of chances.

After the game, I'd be on the phone to all the Premier League clubs, asking if they've got any decent young centre backs who we could take on loan. Longer term, I'd be looking for a CB on a permanent basis. I'd also look to sort Stocky out with a new contract, and if he refuses, make sure we've got Josh Payne signed up on a longer term deal, as he could come in handy.

I wouldn't want an Assistant manager off here. I'd ask Sully and the other senior players to help out and give their views, as well as Lee Butler of course.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 18, 2010, 04:23:31 pm by Filo »
I would n`t change much, maybe get a big beast of a centre forward and a proper hard midfield enforcer, so we have the ability to mix it up if needed.

my backroom staff would be

joint assistant managers: Jonathon and Mike F

Chief statistician and psychologist: BST

Physio: Jucyberry  :P

Head Tea/piss boy: Cussie

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 18, 2010, 07:13:52 pm by CusworthRovers »
VikingJames wrote:

Woods has been playing poorly for me, and I just think Stock is far better at that central role of anchoring the midfield and holding it together.

You may have a point re the the second bit, but as for the first bit highlighted, that be your opinion (like you say...for me) and I'm not sure it's right.

We have all our midfielders available, we have sent some out on loan. We have forwards who can play in the midfield, we have good players who cannot get into the starting midfield.........my point being Woods is starting every game and captaining it too, and in all honesty doesn't look anywhere near getting dropped from the midfield, that in itself must say a thousand things, yet different to what you are saying

Filo wrote:
Head Tea/piss boy: Cussie

C..nut

VikingJames

« Reply #7 on October 18, 2010, 07:48:16 pm by VikingJames »
CusworthRovers wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

Woods has been playing poorly for me, and I just think Stock is far better at that central role of anchoring the midfield and holding it together.

You may have a point re the the second bit, but as for the first bit highlighted, that be your opinion (like you say...for me) and I'm not sure it's right.

We have all our midfielders available, we have sent some out on loan. We have forwards who can play in the midfield, we have good players who cannot get into the starting midfield.........my point being Woods is starting every game and captaining it too, and in all honesty doesn't look anywhere near getting dropped from the midfield, that in itself must say a thousand things, yet different to what you are saying

I'll be honest with you, I think SOD is being a bit stubborn about Stock. Doesn't seem like coincidence to me that he hasn't started a single game since contract talks broke down. Plus, I'm only saying what I've seen on the pitch, and to me (and many on this forum and many others around me at Glanford Park on Saturday) Woods is not playing well. Whether that is his fault or not, I don't know. As he does seem to be playing a more restricted game (similar to the Stock role,) but to me it has proved that Woods needs a player like Stock alongside him to do that sitting in front of the back four and distributing the ball job. I'm not saying that Woods is a poor player, but the role he is playing in at the minute doesn't suit him at all - he misplaces far too many passes to do the same job that Stock does, and when he is asked to step forward and create something when he has the ball at his feet, he seems to struggle to do it.

I don't really buy the \"he's in the team so you're wrong to say he isn't playing well\" argument. There are other factors to be taken into consideration, and I think that the situation with Stock's contract is affecting SOD's team selection.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 18, 2010, 08:01:13 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Yes it's called managing the team, which amounts to more than picking eleven players every Saturday.

VikingJames

« Reply #9 on October 18, 2010, 08:14:23 pm by VikingJames »
Yep, and until we're privy to the other reasons for Stock being left out of the team (which I suspect we never will be,) it won't be unreasonable to suggest that he should be in the team.

DonnyEl

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 18, 2010, 08:17:18 pm by DonnyEl »
interesting debate... the only thing i would really change, is changing the game ironically  :laugh: think sean takes too much time making subs when needed (i.e. 0-1 down, 20 mins to go), not having an alternative to come and change the game i.e. Stevey Brooker

also, sort all contracts earlier, take nothing for granted, however, they do seem to have addressed this with woods, JOC, and copps

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 18, 2010, 08:53:43 pm by CusworthRovers »
VikingJames wrote:

I don't really buy the \"he's in the team so you're wrong to say he isn't playing well\" argument. There are other factors to be taken into consideration, and I think that the situation with Stock's contract is affecting SOD's team selection.

I can only repeat my argument. We have a strong midfield all fit and available, yet he continually picks Woods. That ought to be bought into your thought process IMO as it tells a massive tale. Sean is not averse to dropping players if they are not performing and likewise sticking with players when they are performing, something woods stock and many others have seen. My avatar tells you what I think of stock, but I'll wager you any bet that should stock be promoted back to the11, then barring injury woods will keep his place

TinyPortal © 2005-2012