Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 04:51:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 21805 times)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #90 on September 05, 2014, 02:30:18 pm by DaveDRFC »
Well I did a half iron distance last year and it took me 5 hours 33, about 35 mins for the swim, 3 hours for the bike and 1:55 for the run, then transitions between each as well. I'm aiming to do around 1 hour 20 for the swim, 7 hour bike then anything around 5 hours for the run, so about 13 hours total. I have done 4 marathons before, each around 4 hours, but doing one when I've already been going for 8 hours beforehand is going to be something completely different!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on September 05, 2014, 03:41:04 pm by moses »

:thumbsup:
I need a icon of someone taking their hat off.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on September 06, 2014, 09:19:48 am by 5minstogo »
Well I did a half iron distance last year and it took me 5 hours 33, about 35 mins for the swim, 3 hours for the bike and 1:55 for the run, then transitions between each as well. I'm aiming to do around 1 hour 20 for the swim, 7 hour bike then anything around 5 hours for the run, so about 13 hours total. I have done 4 marathons before, each around 4 hours, but doing one when I've already been going for 8 hours beforehand is going to be something completely different!

I'll stick to parkrun. Mentalist!

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on September 06, 2014, 02:42:20 pm by IC1967 »
Saw on the Tonight programme the other night that the women in the UK are the fattest in Western Europe. They banged on about the health issues associated with this and reported from our very own DRI. Apparently Doncaster is the fattest place in the UK.

There is one more issue that never seems to get mentioned when fatness is discussed. So as I am not politically correct I will address it.

Women also need to consider not just the health issues but also their attractiveness to the opposite sex. Please be aware that the fatter you get, the less attractive you get.

Now the last thing I want to be accused of is being sexist. Needless to say it works the other way. Men also become less attractive to the opposite sex the fatter they get.

Well done to all those that are losing weight. Keep it going and you'll find yourself getting healthier and more attractive.

If I could also ask women who are not yet their ideal weight to refrain from wearing leggings. I'm sure there are much more appropriate clothes available.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on September 06, 2014, 03:31:00 pm by mushRTID »
If I could also ask women who are not yet their ideal weight to refrain from wearing leggings. I'm sure there are much more appropriate clothes available.

haha!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on October 14, 2014, 10:43:01 am by Filo »
A little update, things have slowed down a little recently, still losing but not as quickly, I've now lost 3st 8lb :)

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on October 14, 2014, 12:34:18 pm by ian1980 »
A little trick, if you aren't already is to introduce some 'good fats' into your diet.

If you totally cut out all fat from your diet then your body is starved of it and so starts to store it. Nuts are great for this (Almonds, Cashew etc) or some full fat cream cheese or a SMALL bacon and eggs cooked in proper butter. Your fat burn rate will then increase as your doing your cardio work.

The same applies for water. If you don't drink enough water your body will start to store it and water retention 'gatherers' around the mid drift so make sure your drinking plenty.

Good luck with your efforts. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on October 28, 2014, 01:06:46 pm by Filo »
Just 1lb a week coming off now, current total 3st 10lb, but it's still going in the right direction :)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on October 28, 2014, 09:41:57 pm by Mike_F »
Brilliant Filo. Keep losing it at a sensible and sustainable rate and it'll be easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle to keep the weight off rather than going boom & bust on a crash diet.

I'm 2 lbs short of losing 3st now and the last month or so have been slow going but it's all worth it in the end!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on October 29, 2014, 11:11:46 am by Jenny »
I'm back on it and have lost 8lb in just over 3 weeks, the biggest change for me has been ditching the diet coke for water - I now drink anywhere between 3-5l of water a day (instead of about the same in diet coke). Feel so much better for it too!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on November 04, 2014, 10:30:47 am by Filo »
-2.5lb this week, making my total weight loss so far 3st 12.5lb, a week in Spain next week will put a dent in that no doubt :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on January 31, 2015, 11:51:04 am by Filo »
Well, that week in Spain cost me, I put 8.5lb back on, managed to get that back off just before Christmas and then put 8lb back on over Christmas, this week I finally got to 4st weight loss, onwards and upwards onto the next stone now :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on January 31, 2015, 12:29:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
4st is good going mate in 6 months.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on January 31, 2015, 12:42:22 pm by Filo »
4st is good going mate in 6 months.

I know it is, but sometimes when I get weighed and only lost a pound or so, I get really disappointed, but I'm really trying to stay focused. I went for my diabetic review in september, the doctor was pleased with how my weight loss was going and the blood test showed that my glucose levels had dropped down to around the threshold to being diagnosed diabetic, she said that if I continued to lose weight there would be a possibility that I could come off diabetic medication

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on January 31, 2015, 02:20:47 pm by roversontheup »
Didn't realise you had been diagnosed a diabetic Filo.  Even more congratulations for you.  Great achievement and a massive boost from your doc.  Keep going.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 31, 2015, 02:24:46 pm by Filo »
Didn't realise you had been diagnosed a diabetic Filo.  Even more congratulations for you.  Great achievement and a massive boost from your doc.  Keep going.

Been diabetic for nearly 12 years, only on tablets though

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on January 31, 2015, 02:45:58 pm by roversontheup »
Huge achievement to lose that amount of weight.  Icing on the cake (low sugar and calorie cake of course!) if your blood sugars drop enough to get you off the meds.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on February 03, 2015, 12:03:35 pm by BobG »
You wanna do your bloody damndest, Filo, to stay away from the needles. I've been on them for 15 years now. Whilst the [ricking ain't so bad, the long term consequences are chuffing awful. I don't care what grief, what mood swings, what pain it costs you to keep going, just keep at it. Anything, anything is better than that alternative mate.

BobG

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on February 03, 2015, 12:12:14 pm by Filo »
You wanna do your bloody damndest, Filo, to stay away from the needles. I've been on them for 15 years now. Whilst the [ricking ain't so bad, the long term consequences are chuffing awful. I don't care what grief, what mood swings, what pain it costs you to keep going, just keep at it. Anything, anything is better than that alternative mate.

BobG

I need to stay away from the needles for my job

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on February 03, 2015, 04:46:22 pm by Jenny »
I've joined a Slimming World group to keep me focused, really enjoying it and  I have lost 11lb in 4 weeks so far. 17 weeks til I go on holiday to Florida and I want to lose another 2 stone which will take me to my lightest weight that I can ever recall, certainly in my adult life... At just over 1.5lb a week I am sure it can be done! 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on February 03, 2015, 04:59:39 pm by Filo »
I've joined a Slimming World group to keep me focused, really enjoying it and  I have lost 11lb in 4 weeks so far. 17 weeks til I go on holiday to Florida and I want to lose another 2 stone which will take me to my lightest weight that I can ever recall, certainly in my adult life... At just over 1.5lb a week I am sure it can be done! 

It can, stay focused and you'll get there

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on February 06, 2015, 04:31:47 pm by BobG »
I've tbrough the subject of this thread to the attention of Alex. he's been pratting about a while now not really focussing on a bit of weight loss he needs to do. Bingo! He's now stuck in to the 5:2 diet with a vengeance.  And he's doing my head in with 'taht's got this amount of calories' and something else has got some other number. I lent him a book I use for carbohydtare monitoring and now I never see the bloody thing! But I'm chuffed he's taking weight seriously now - so thanks to everyone on this thread. :)

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on February 06, 2015, 06:00:54 pm by RobTheRover »
I'm looking to lose a bit of timber too.  Hols in 6 months and I dont want Greenpeace dragging me off the beach and back to sea.....

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on February 07, 2015, 08:42:23 am by Donnywolf »

Take longer run ups at Penalties ... and take more of them

donnyproletarian

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on February 08, 2015, 04:35:37 pm by donnyproletarian »
Saw on the Tonight programme the other night that the women in the UK are the fattest in Western Europe. They banged on about the health issues associated with this and reported from our very own DRI. Apparently Doncaster is the fattest place in the UK.

There is one more issue that never seems to get mentioned when fatness is discussed. So as I am not politically correct I will address it.

Women also need to consider not just the health issues but also their attractiveness to the opposite sex. Please be aware that the fatter you get, the less attractive you get.

Now the last thing I want to be accused of is being sexist. Needless to say it works the other way. Men also become less attractive to the opposite sex the fatter they get.

Well done to all those that are losing weight. Keep it going and you'll find yourself getting healthier and more attractive.

Another good way to loose weight is to show this post to your other half, agree with it and the run like hell when she tries to cut your balls off

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on February 08, 2015, 07:59:00 pm by Jenny »

Take longer run ups at Penalties ... and take more of them

Ha! I think I'm done with penalties.... I get my exercise through lots and lots of walking. In fact I'm surprised im not a good few inches shorter through walking my legs down!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on February 12, 2015, 09:51:28 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Well done to all involved who are losing weight. Not an easy feat.

However, has anyone got any tips or certain foods to eat what worked for them when it comes to putting weight on? A strange one you might think but I eat like a horse but can't go much higher than 14 stone at 6'8. I go to the gym regularly but with minimum cardio, obviously. Any tips would be appreciated! Cheers.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on February 12, 2015, 10:21:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
14 stone at 6'8"?

Tha wants to change thi butcher cocker.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on February 12, 2015, 10:48:23 pm by Mike_F »
Do you eat breakfast, Monk? Also any snacking throughout the day? A few healthy fats from nuts etc might help.

Probably not advisable but one thing that worked for me was cutting out beer in the week so a couple of pints a night could put weight on you but not necessarily in a good way!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on February 12, 2015, 11:50:23 pm by BobG »
I hope these suggestions help but I wouldn'ty be surprised if they don't. I'm a skinny wretch and no matter what rubbish I've crammed down my throat, over deacdes, I have yet to put on more than an ounce. One example: I like spaghetti. I eat it quite regularly. The dry weight of my portion is 200g. And i polish off the lot. I s'pose I'm a quantity rather than quality man. Still a bloody beanpole though. So good luck Monk.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012