Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 06:13:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weight loss  (Read 21806 times)

Jenny

• VSC Member
Re: Weight loss
« Reply #120 on February 13, 2015, 09:45:12 am by Jenny »
People like you sicken me  :P

I'm up to 13.5lb off now and the lightest I have been since summer 2013. I've also bagged me a place in the Great North Run so I will be replacing some of the walking I do with running which should help... I was at my lightest when I was running regularly.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on February 13, 2015, 10:09:33 am by Filo »
Up to 4st 2lb now, it's still going in the right direction, although it's coming off at a slower rate now, I find coming on here and updating my status on FB keeps me focused and motivated, although I do get pissed off when I step on the scales and the result is not what I expected

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 13, 2015, 06:26:22 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Never miss a breakfast. Can't function without it. The option of snacking on nuts etc sounds like it has potential. I'm hoping my metabolism slows down as I get older. I don't tend to drink a lot either but when I do its excessive. Who knows! Think i'll just carry nuts round with me. Cheers everyone. 

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 14, 2015, 09:33:38 am by ian1980 »
Monk, I'm similar to yourself in that I struggle to gain mass/weight.

I few things to try are (like said above) nuts. High in good fats and a great snack for throughout the day. I tend to have some little pots and mix different types (cashew, almonds etc) and then just take the pots with me throughout the day.

Also olive oil is good way to increase your calorie intake. A shot of olive oil is about 300 calories so a couple of those a day will really help. It tastes like crap though, so what I do is mix it in with my protein shake after I've been to the gym.

Coconut oil is also like olive oil but also has many other health benefits. You can add this to many things including coffee etc.

Then really about eating the right amounts of the right food. Lots of protein, meat, green veg, carbs and lots of water.

If your not already, a good protein shake would also help. I'm currently using Maximuscle Cyclone which tastes alright and is a good all rounder with 60g of protein per serving.

Gym wise, heavy weights doing three sets of 8-10 reps and struggling on the third set. Stay away from the machines and use the free weights as this will help both the target muscle but also the secondary muscles that are used for support and balance.

Hope some of this helps and good luck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:44:06 am by ian1980 »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on February 16, 2015, 07:27:55 pm by Jenny »
Lost another 2 today taking me to over a stone in 6 weeks, start half marathon training again this week so I'm hoping it will continue at the same rate.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on February 16, 2015, 07:33:32 pm by Filo »
Lost another 2 today taking me to over a stone in 6 weeks, start half marathon training again this week so I'm hoping it will continue at the same rate.

Well done, keep it up, it's my weigh day tomorrow, 1lb off and i'll have lost the next stone the Doctor said I should lose before my blood test to see if my diabetic meds can be reduced

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on February 16, 2015, 11:10:12 pm by grayx »
Well done to all involved who are losing weight. Not an easy feat.

However, has anyone got any tips or certain foods to eat what worked for them when it comes to putting weight on? A strange one you might think but I eat like a horse but can't go much higher than 14 stone at 6'8. I go to the gym regularly but with minimum cardio, obviously. Any tips would be appreciated! Cheers.

Have you tried drinking guinness? A couple of cans before bedtime should put you a few pounds on. You'll soon find yourself enjoying the taste too.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on February 16, 2015, 11:25:01 pm by Mike_F »
It's a constant bloody battle for me. Last week
I was on or below my calorie goal every day, did two 5k runs and had a decent swimming session and still put 4lbs on. How I envy Monk, Bob & Ian!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on February 17, 2015, 11:39:47 am by Filo »

Well done, keep it up, it's my weigh day tomorrow, 1lb off and i'll have lost the next stone the Doctor said I should lose before my blood test to see if my diabetic meds can be reduced

Lost another 1lb, so straight to the Docs to book my blood test, thats 4st 3 lb now :)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on February 17, 2015, 12:05:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Fair play Filo that's some going that is to lose that much.

Anyone who says it's easy it isn't.  I'm a bit like Mike I can easy put it back on.  I'd put 4lbs back on last week so stepped the running up again and lost 2lb again, it's the running that helps me out.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on February 17, 2015, 02:54:07 pm by Jenny »
You could run less if you gave up chocolate ;)

I find that sometimes you need to have a bit of an off day/week to shock your body.... it gets used to eating healthy therefore it has less of an effect.

I find that social media helps keep me on track, especially Instagram... gives me plenty of ideas for healthy meals and shows me that even when people drop down the stone brackets they are still consistently losing weight so quite motivational.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on February 17, 2015, 03:55:40 pm by DaveDRFC »
I've always had to battle with my weight, I've lost about 4 stone since I took up running but I could still do with being a bit lighter. I've been training for an iron distance triathlon for the last 7 weeks (only 23 more to go!) at an average of 7 hours a week split between cycling, swimming and running and I've not lost any weight at all, I'm still around 13 and a half stone. I was hoping to be about a stone lighter by the time of the event in July but it would appear for that to happen I'll just have to give up eating entirely! I gave up beer, fizzy drinks, chocolate, crisps and sweets for a month as a new year's resolution (still not had any pop or crisps and I've pretty much given up drinking altogether now) so with the training I was expecting a bit of weight to come off.

That's a good effort Filo, bet you feel a lot better for it. Both my brothers and my dad had diabetes diagnosed which they managed to control by changing their diets and losing a bit of weight so hopefully you can do the same. Hopefully I managed to lose the weight soon enough to not be struck by the family curse!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on March 02, 2015, 09:05:12 am by Filo »
Been to the Docs for my blood test results and now my meds are being reduced, one of the tablets I take is reducing in strength with a view to a further reduction at my next diabetic review, according to the Doc this is a direct result of my weight loss and now I'm starting to see the health benefits of it all

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on March 09, 2015, 09:09:51 pm by Jenny »
I'm at 10% of my body weight lost now in 9 weeks, still averaging over a 2lb loss a week and stepping up the exercise to try and keep it there! I had hoped to lose 2 stone before Florida in early June but could make it 3 stone if I put my mind to it.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on March 09, 2015, 11:07:38 pm by IC1967 »
I'd just like to say a big well done to you fatties for getting the weight off. The NHS will be very appreciative of your efforts.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on March 10, 2015, 10:05:06 am by Filo »
Just had the weekly weigh in and another 2lb gone missing, thats 4st 5lbs lost now, need to step it up a bit, got another week in Spain coming up on 20th April, I need to compensate for the holiday weight gain

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on March 10, 2015, 03:05:01 pm by Jenny »
Have you been doing any exercise Dave or just going on diet alone?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on March 10, 2015, 03:14:29 pm by Filo »
Have you been doing any exercise Dave or just going on diet alone?

Diet alone up til now, I am considering joining a gym though, as the weight loss is slowing down a bit now. The downside to all this is the constant updating of clothes, went to Spain in August last year and then again in November, I thought the same clothes would do me then, but my t shirts and shorts were all way too big for me, so I had to buy new clothes, going again in April and I've just in the past hour tried those new shorts and t shirts on, and guess what, they're too big again, so it's out to buy some more again!

On the diet thing, it's difficult for me, I don't like any vegetables or salad stuff, my wife has to make sure that I have mashed potatoe on my plate if she gives me veg so that I can mix it in, I'm like a kid
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:18:10 pm by Filo »

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on March 10, 2015, 04:10:29 pm by Jenny »
That has made me smile :) I love my veg and salad stuff and always have a plate full of 'speed' which I think is what is giving me decent losses especially in comparison to some in my group who are losing at the same rate despite being a lot heavier.

Can sympathise on the clothes thing, I am going to have to shop for some new ones soon, thank god I work for a high street retailer where I can get reasonable discounts!

I've been walking my usual amount (which is lots) and I've started running again, throw in a couple of bike rides on a weekend and I'm going to start going swimming a couple of times a week. Find gyms very boring!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on March 10, 2015, 04:15:36 pm by Filo »
To be honest I think I'd find the gym boring, I keep think about getting a spinning bike in the garage/shed, where I can just nip down the garden when it's convenient, working erratic hours like I do probably means I would n't get to the gym that often

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on March 10, 2015, 10:41:37 pm by Iberian Red »
I'd just like to say a big well done to you fatties for getting the weight off. The NHS will be very appreciative of your efforts.

Maybe one day you can congratulate your svelte wife on the same achievement.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on March 11, 2015, 10:51:39 pm by Iberian Red »
Is sh doing ok with the weight loss?
Remember to burn the leggings.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on March 14, 2015, 01:54:08 am by IC1967 »
Is sh doing ok with the weight loss?
Remember to burn the leggings.

I'll have you know that before I married my wife I told her straight what the deal was. If she ever went over a size 10 I'd be on my bike. Luckily for her she has yo yo'd between a size 8 and 10 all our married life (30 years).

There is no way I could live with a woman size 12 and above. As part of the deal I also agreed never to go over 11 and a half stones. I have kept to this bargain.

It hasn't been easy. Luckily I have iron will power and my wife couldn't bear the thought of me leaving her. It works for us.

Maybe giving your partner an ultimatum may help with weight loss. Just a thought.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on July 14, 2015, 09:40:12 am by Filo »
Well, I'm still trying but I'm yo yoing now, weigh in today and I've lost 4st 4lb all together, just can't seem to get to that 4st 7lb, but I'll keep trying :)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on July 14, 2015, 10:10:42 am by The Red Baron »
I lost three stone while in hospital earlier this year and I have probably lost a bit more since I came home. Best weight loss plan ever- but not one I'd recommend!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on July 14, 2015, 10:21:51 am by Dare to dream! »
Well, I'm still trying but I'm yo yoing now, weigh in today and I've lost 4st 4lb all together, just can't seem to get to that 4st 7lb, but I'll keep trying :)

Alter your programme, your body maay have gotten use to the routine by now. Also change will help you to stay motivated.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on July 14, 2015, 10:38:52 am by Filo »

Alter your programme, your body maay have gotten use to the routine by now. Also change will help you to stay motivated.

I did think that may be the problem, maybe a period of time of consolidation is required before I go again, I certainly feel better for it, even though I'm still well overweight

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 04, 2020, 09:31:28 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Throwback but there’s some great tips on here!! Any of you lot still on the health kick?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on June 05, 2020, 12:43:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I've gone batshit on fitness stuff, partly because I was worried at the start of the crisis that I'd been letting myself go and I wanted to get back in some sort of shape in case I got a dose.

I've been trying to work towards a target of doing 1000 press ups in an hour. I think I've finally accepted it ain't going to happen, but I've got up to 500 in just over 36 minutes this evening, which will do for me for now. I do 4, then break, then start again when the clock gets to the next 15 seconds, so 16 per minute but broken up. I keep that going for as long as I can, then the rate drops off towards the end and I can only push out 3 or even 2 in 15 seconds. The last 4-5 minutes tonight were like a living death. Pretty chuffed though.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on June 05, 2020, 01:34:19 pm by River Don »
I've yo-yoed a bit since this thread began. I find I always struggle in the winter and the Christmas period in particular. Dark mornings and evenings and the cold and wet outside make exercise less appealing. Then there is all the food and drink on offer. I usually slip and start putting on weight in winter.

However C19 gave me a real focus on the need to get in shape. C19 is harder on older people who are overweight and out of shape. I can't do anything about aging but I have lost the weight.

Now my focus is going from being a good weight for my heightwhich I have achieved again to really trying to get fitter. I used to swim but the pools are closed, so I've got into cycling, my target is to get to the point where I won't feel self conscious wearing lycra. Almost there! Then I might treat myself to a better bike. Then the challenge is going to be keeping it all going through the winter months.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012