Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:24:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Getting ready for new season  (Read 2673 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Getting ready for new season
« on August 17, 2020, 11:40:35 am by wing commander »
   Clubs seem to be getting ready for fans to arrive back in stadiums at last.Last week i spent a few nights in Blackpool fc Hotel which has a big window overlooking the pitch..It was a hive of activity..They had obviously put a call out for volunteers as there were loads of fans in the stadium,working along each row of seats washing and wiping them down,sweeping the paths and steps around pitch side etc etc..Same with outside the stadium as well..

Was chatting to a few of the players in the bar and giving them some gentle banter but it's great to see a potential return to our stadiums hopefully not to far away...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Getting ready for new season
« Reply #1 on August 17, 2020, 11:52:41 am by tyke1962 »
I guess it's very dependent on when the second wave arrives and the severity of it .

Autumn heading towards winter seems the most likeliest time a second wave will hit us and just about the time clubs seem to be looking to get fans back in stadiums .

Obviously I'm only speculating but I have to say deep down I fear we may not be going through the turnstiles at our clubs anytime soon .

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 17, 2020, 11:57:05 am by EasyforDennis »
   Clubs seem to be getting ready for fans to arrive back in stadiums at last.Last week i spent a few nights in Blackpool fc Hotel which has a big window overlooking the pitch..It was a hive of activity..They had obviously put a call out for volunteers as there were loads of fans in the stadium,working along each row of seats washing and wiping them down,sweeping the paths and steps around pitch side etc etc..Same with outside the stadium as well..

Was chatting to a few of the players in the bar and giving them some gentle banter but it's great to see a potential return to our stadiums hopefully not to far away...

Washing and wiping down seats?? Now that's an idea maybe we could copy.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 17, 2020, 12:00:45 pm by IDM »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 17, 2020, 12:58:27 pm by silent majority »
It all depends on the Government I'm afraid. Until they give the seal of approval nothing will happen.

We have a meeting with the EFL this week and opening up stadiums is a key part of the agenda.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 17, 2020, 01:14:19 pm by tyke1962 »
I have to say in all honesty whilst I was able to watch my team complete the season via ifollow it was a rather sobering and reflective sight .

Watching the team walk out in to an empty arena and staff spraying the goalposts and other things I found very sad .

Even seeing your own seat empty and the lads around you who you've got to know over the years just doesn't seem right .

An extremely sad time for everyone and let's all hope we are walking through those turnstiles once again in the non too distant future .

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 17, 2020, 01:21:50 pm by NickDRFC »
I have to say in all honesty whilst I was able to watch my team complete the season via ifollow it was a rather sobering and reflective sight .

Watching the team walk out in to an empty arena and staff spraying the goalposts and other things I found very sad .

Even seeing your own seat empty and the lads around you who you've got to know over the years just doesn't seem right .

An extremely sad time for everyone and let's all hope we are walking through those turnstiles once again in the non too distant future .

I’d rather watch Rovers play via ifollow in front of empty stands than not at all right now.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 17, 2020, 01:52:04 pm by tyke1962 »

I’d rather watch Rovers play via ifollow in front of empty stands than not at all right now.

It's making the best of a bad job in reality .

Football is nothing without fans in the stadium , you can try and recreate the real thing with stadium noise and cardboard cut outs but it is what it is .

Better than nowt as you say .

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 17, 2020, 02:57:24 pm by wing commander »
It all depends on the Government I'm afraid. Until they give the seal of approval nothing will happen.

We have a meeting with the EFL this week and opening up stadiums is a key part of the agenda.

I did wonder about that Mate...The way Blackpool were cleaning you would have thought they would have expected fans in this weekend..I presumed they might have known something the average fan didn't..

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 17, 2020, 03:14:53 pm by Axholme Lion »
We won't get back in any meaningful manner at all this year. It will be a limited to a few ,with stormtrooper stewards revelling in the fact that they can force you to sit where they tell you and act as they tell you. No singing allowed mate, it's the rules. However if you fancy a demo in Central London for whatever cause you feel like then it's ok to crack on. Another year of this and football will be changed forever. I work with loads of twentysomethings who say they love football but never go to a match! Football on TV does nothing for me. It's more of the experience of the whole day out, the anticipation, the journey, meeting up with people, the banter with the oppo fans etc and then the disappointment of a long journey home after losing. Until I can go back in person then i'm not really bothered.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 17, 2020, 03:17:56 pm by Metalmicky »

I would have though that this was probably their 'annual' start of season clean rather than a clean due to Covid-19.... It's suggested that the virus remains viable for up to 72 hours on plastic, so a clean (because of the virus) this early would be pointless.  However, a annual 'pre-season' spring clean would be normal for all clubs to get rid of the dirt built up off season. 

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 17, 2020, 03:47:29 pm by EasyforDennis »

I would have though that this was probably their 'annual' start of season clean rather than a clean due to Covid-19.... It's suggested that the virus remains viable for up to 72 hours on plastic, so a clean (because of the virus) this early would be pointless.  However, a annual 'pre-season' spring clean would be normal for all clubs to get rid of the dirt built up off season.

The virus remaining on seats for 72 is irrelevant at the moment as nobody is going to sitting in those seats for a while yet. Maybe they want to get their cleaning done early while they have staff doing nothing?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 17, 2020, 03:52:24 pm by Metalmicky »

The virus remaining on seats for 72 is irrelevant at the moment as nobody is going to sitting in those seats for a while yet. Maybe they want to get their cleaning done early while they have staff doing nothing?

I think that is exactly what I said.....

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 17, 2020, 03:54:15 pm by wing commander »

Maybe,it wasn't staff though that's for sure it was fans of all ages...kids included

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 17, 2020, 04:03:37 pm by silent majority »

I did wonder about that Mate...The way Blackpool were cleaning you would have thought they would have expected fans in this weekend..I presumed they might have known something the average fan didn't..

The Blackpool fans, or at least one of them, will be in the same meeting. But nothings changed yet, the addendum to the Green Guide is still the only document to go on with pages of advice, but we still need DCMS to give the go-ahead. The only thing clubs can do is digest that and then speak to their local SAG to finalise the plans.

We've been chatting about the Keepmoat, but until they get the go ahead then nothing can be finalised. Fortunately we have nice wide concourses which help immensely, but we still reckon 40% capacity will be the best at the start.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 17, 2020, 06:56:51 pm by NickDRFC »
We won't get back in any meaningful manner at all this year. It will be a limited to a few ,with stormtrooper stewards revelling in the fact that they can force you to sit where they tell you and act as they tell you. No singing allowed mate, it's the rules. However if you fancy a demo in Central London for whatever cause you feel like then it's ok to crack on. Another year of this and football will be changed forever. I work with loads of twentysomethings who say they love football but never go to a match! Football on TV does nothing for me. It's more of the experience of the whole day out, the anticipation, the journey, meeting up with people, the banter with the oppo fans etc and then the disappointment of a long journey home after losing. Until I can go back in person then i'm not really bothered.

Each to their own but I’d rather watch Rovers on my iPad and/or in a sanitised environment for as long as it takes and then get back to normal than just distance myself from it completely. And I’m a big fan of making football an all day occasion (although I don’t miss any disappointed journey back!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 18, 2020, 10:17:10 am by Axholme Lion »

Each to their own but I’d rather watch Rovers on my iPad and/or in a sanitised environment for as long as it takes and then get back to normal than just distance myself from it completely. And I’m a big fan of making football an all day occasion (although I don’t miss any disappointed journey back!)

The thing is though how many clubs will there be left to go back to?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 25, 2020, 08:16:21 am by Filo »
Well the club put all casual staff on furlough early on in the pandemic, but now they have finished all casual staff, eg stewards turnstyle operators, car park stewards etc. So no one can go in the stadium without those peronel

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 25, 2020, 08:39:19 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well the club put all casual staff on furlough early on in the pandemic, but now they have finished all casual staff, eg stewards turnstyle operators, car park stewards etc. So no one can go in the stadium without those peronel

Yep that was quite a disappointing move for me and hopefully adds some context to those grumbling about not spending on players.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2020, 06:30:18 pm by Janso »

Yep that was quite a disappointing move for me and hopefully adds some context to those grumbling about not spending on players.

You're very naive if you think anything will stop people in this fan base bitching and whining about not spunking a fortune on players.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012