Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:35:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It could be worse  (Read 3637 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
It could be worse
« on August 25, 2021, 09:48:57 am by wing commander »
    Had the misfortune last night to attend a match at Glanford park with work as a guest of a customer.

Sweet jesus we think we have problems. The ground has really been run down,weeds,rubbish everywhere,and nothings had a coat of paint for years. The catering kiosks make ours look like well run machines (difficult to believe i know).Not even a chocky bar was available never mind a pie,they even ran out of Tea.

They were playing Man Citys U21'S in the pizza cup. God they were awful and I mean awful,not just because they didn't play well but because they have a team of players who are Sunday league standard. They got away with 3-0 god knows how. Apparently the budget this year has been slashed from last years and they only just stayed up with that.

The few people who were there were just sat there staring into space, devoid of anything entertaining watching a team with a sense of loyalty rather than a actual want to be there..

Coming from this side of Doncaster, Scunthorpe has always been my rivals rather than Rotherham and i've hated them with a passion for 30 years but that was replaced with sympathy last night. I just cant see them surviving as a league club much longer..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: It could be worse
« Reply #1 on August 25, 2021, 10:03:46 am by silent majority »
From what I understand WC is that the money has dried up. They were big spenders, bigger than us actually, but once the plans for the new stadium fell apart and the appeal against planning failed they've pulled the plug.

They have big plans to redevelop Glandford Park but even that's not happening. To make matters worse Peter Swann has separated the ground from the club and moved ownership into his own property company.

It'll end in tears.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2021, 10:11:08 am by Draytonian III »
Peter Swann is the son in law of Tony Wilkinson, Wilkinson’s shops etc

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2021, 10:15:06 am by silent majority »

Yes he is, but its his wife's money not his.

epworth red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2021, 10:21:40 am by epworth red »
Wing commander your not going soft are you  :ohmy: sympathy wtf  :lol: :rtid:

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2021, 10:25:35 am by chrisfisher »
As much as we "hate" them. It's sad to see.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2021, 10:30:12 am by The Beast »
    Had the misfortune last night to attend a match at Glanford park with work as a guest of a customer.

Sweet jesus we think we have problems. The ground has really been run down,weeds,rubbish everywhere,and nothings had a coat of paint for years. The catering kiosks make ours look like well run machines (difficult to believe i know).Not even a chocky bar was available never mind a pie,they even ran out of Tea.

They were playing Man Citys U21'S in the pizza cup. God they were awful and I mean awful,not just because they didn't play well but because they have a team of players who are Sunday league standard. They got away with 3-0 god knows how. Apparently the budget this year has been slashed from last years and they only just stayed up with that.

The few people who were there were just sat there staring into space, devoid of anything entertaining watching a team with a sense of loyalty rather than a actual want to be there..

Coming from this side of Doncaster, Scunthorpe has always been my rivals rather than Rotherham and i've hated them with a passion for 30 years but that was replaced with sympathy last night. I just cant see them surviving as a league club much longer..
I see a few of the Scunny players in the gym and you know when players just don’t look the part, no coordination on the cross trainer, look like you could blow them over etc

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 25, 2021, 10:32:20 am by River Don »
Footballing rivals need each other.

Alex Ferguson targeted knocking Liverpool off their pearch but he understood how essential it is to maintain the rivalry.

I wouldn't like to see Scunny disappear off into the NE Counties league with the likes of York, Darlo and Scarborough. All localish sides we've enjoyed rivalries with.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2021, 10:32:35 am by wing commander »
Wing commander your not going soft are you  :ohmy: sympathy wtf  :lol: :rtid:

I know mate but i'd rather they stay in the leagues so we can play them rather than vanish into non league because I fear they wouldn't get back. We've had some great days out there.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 25, 2021, 10:35:40 am by wing commander »
From what I understand WC is that the money has dried up. They were big spenders, bigger than us actually, but once the plans for the new stadium fell apart and the appeal against planning failed they've pulled the plug.

They have big plans to redevelop Glandford Park but even that's not happening. To make matters worse Peter Swann has separated the ground from the club and moved ownership into his own property company.

It'll end in tears.

They were saying that last night. Moving the stadium into his own portfolio makes them ripe for administration and even those i was talking to were expecting that as the eventual outcome. Apparently they think his wife has stopped him putting anything in now.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 25, 2021, 11:36:38 am by keith79 »
York and Scarborough away, always great days

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 25, 2021, 12:05:08 pm by chrisfisher »

York in 03/04 was great. Think we took 4000 and completely took over the city centre.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 25, 2021, 12:15:59 pm by SydneyRover »

The picture of Glanford park that you have painted WC is in high contrast to what we have, a smart new stadium, a great management team and fantastic sponsors. There is still a debt owed to those that had the vision to get it built in the first place despite a bit of a rocky start.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 25, 2021, 12:35:56 pm by roversdude »
Really hope Scunny survive as a club it’s a horrible position to be in and makes you even more thankful for our owners

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 25, 2021, 12:38:01 pm by SydneyRover »
Yep, never want to see any club fold.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 25, 2021, 12:44:14 pm by Draytonian III »

Yes he is, but its his wife's money not his.

Yes it is , his wife has all the money, she had a brother called Sean ( who was my big mate at junior school ) but he died years ago of a drug overdose in Spain

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 25, 2021, 02:09:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
You would scarcely believe this but in 19/20 which was their latest season back in the bottom tier, their total wage bill was £4.8m, which was probably easily more than we spent in the league above I should imagine.

They finished in 20th position in League Two that season.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 25, 2021, 02:43:21 pm by roversdude »
Just goes to show that throwing money around doesn’t buy success

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 25, 2021, 02:57:48 pm by Batleyred »

York in 03/04 was great. Think we took 4000 and completely took over the city centre.

Great day that was. First pub down by the river was jammed loved it.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2021, 05:43:24 pm by mpc123 »
I went to Lincoln against man U u21 and Lincoln play really good football.

Man U under 21s were bad, wellens son played at right back.

Robbie savage son played in midfield.

Lincoln seem very well run and even though the ground is all old style, they make the most of everything.

And seem clued up commercially.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2021, 06:49:36 pm by Spud »
I play pool comps at Scunny now & then, seen a few footy shirts in there but never a Scunny one, shocking & sad at the same time, at least there's a few Donny fans in my town, DN8.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 26, 2021, 08:11:03 am by drfchound »
I remember when Scunny opened Glandford Park.
I was invited to a trade meeting there by a customer who was a Scunny director and he was so proud of what they had there.
It was of course one of the first of the “new” grounds.
How quickly has it become dated.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 26, 2021, 11:55:26 am by richtherover »
A few years ago I was at a wedding in Hull and found myself sat next to a Scunny fan. No problem, I said, you've never been serious rivals to Donny, but who on earth designed that shit stadium of yours? "Oh. That was my dad" he replied. "I'll get a round in" was all I could say.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 26, 2021, 12:02:26 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
A few years ago I was at a wedding in Hull and found myself sat next to a Scunny fan. No problem, I said, you've never been serious rivals to Donny, but who on earth designed that shit stadium of yours? "Oh. That was my dad" he replied. "I'll get a round in" was all I could say.

Brilliant.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 26, 2021, 12:59:50 pm by Donnywolf »
I play pool comps at Scunny now & then, seen a few footy shirts in there but never a Scunny one, shocking & sad at the same time, at least there's a few Donny fans in my town, DN8.

BINGO .... and encouraging remarks from WC & SM looks like big trouble coming  :byebye:

Personally I hope they stay in business  :evil: but would love to answer the question "which is nearest Football League Ground to your house" by answering Doncaster Rovers lol
To quote John Noakes [ask yer Grandad] - Get down Shep

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 26, 2021, 01:03:29 pm by Donnywolf »

He did Walsall as well then - just adding more Seats and some Portacabins lol

They also presented to Huddersfield but didnt get selected

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 26, 2021, 03:36:47 pm by Lesonthewest »
I remember when Scunny opened Glandford Park.
I was invited to a trade meeting there by a customer who was a Scunny director and he was so proud of what they had there.
It was of course one of the first of the “new” grounds.
How quickly has it become dated.

I did some sheeting on the roof when it was built, the ground did look well when it was finished, but it has as been said it has aged badly

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 26, 2021, 03:51:07 pm by Lesonthewest »

He did Walsall as well then - just adding more Seats and some Portacabins lol

They also presented to Huddersfield but didnt get selected

Makes sense then, the roofing company I worked for had the contract for both Glandford & Bescot.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 26, 2021, 04:27:37 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

"they" sold "their" shares to the rest of the family years ago ... i brought this up a long while ago on here

.....One side of the Wilkinson family, Karin Swann, sold her 50 percent share of the business to the other side of the family in 2014, leaving Tony Wilkinson, his wife Christine and Lisa Wilkinson the sole owners of the company and Lisa Wilkinson the sole chairman.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:29:43 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 26, 2021, 05:43:20 pm by the vicar »
No it couldn’t be worse as we are now struggling to field a side on Saturday

TinyPortal © 2005-2012