Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:36:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hybrid cars  (Read 9425 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Hybrid cars
« Reply #120 on February 05, 2022, 09:40:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
My Prius doesn't have a massive amount of power at high speed.

But f**k me it takes off from a standing start if you kick down and the electric motor supplements the petrol engine.

It'll outrun all but the fastest ICE cars for the first 40-50 yards from a standing start.

Always amusing when the car next to you is revving and you're sat there knowing you've got engine and battery set to go.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on February 05, 2022, 09:42:57 am by phil old leake »
If you buy a hybrid you obviously have to get the petrol engine etc serviced is there any additional servicing for the electric side and if so how much

Likewise do full on electric engines also need servicing as regularly as petrol/diesel cars

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 16, 2022, 07:36:30 pm by selby »
  My daughter has just trialled a Kia £37, 100 pounds new all electric car and gone to Leicester, Cambridge, and Ipswich, with a view to test them for the company fleet.
  She is not very impressed at all, charging points that don't work, having to go out of your way to find a charging point, wasted time while charging, in Ipswich the point is on an hotel car park that charges a parking fee.
   Only used rapid charges and overall cost about 15p a mile about the same cost per mile as my own diesel now the price has gone up.
   Needless to say she wouldn't have one thrown at her, an extra one and a half hours extra travelling up from Ipswich, and stressful, putting the heater on came up with the warning the range was cut by 40 miles on the dash board.
  Probably a different story if you can charge at home and go short journeys, but millions will not have that facility.
  Am I the only one that thinks it is a cynical move to get the riff raff off the roads, after all the Labour Party once considered making one of the lanes of the M25 just for V.I.P.'s only.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 16, 2022, 08:16:37 pm by albie »
Fleets are moving rapidly into EV (not hybrids) when renewing the stock;
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fleet-news/electric-fleet-news/2022/02/15/record-levels-of-interest-on-implementing-an-ev-fleet-policy

The availability of charging points is unequally distributed across the UK at present, and that needs to be remedied.

Zap Map gives you a heads up on the charging availability as it stands;
https://www.zap-map.com/

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on February 17, 2022, 01:27:18 pm by selby »
  Her all round experience was not very encouraging,
   1) she found it a strange experience you just cant jump in and drive off, you have things to do like disconnect and check the range, and even top up if necessary.
   2) At one charge point it would not accept her app for payment and she had to go through another app on her phone so you could need a number of payment options.
   3) not all charge points work, her local point at Normanton for instance non of the three charges were in use.
    4) as said in Ipswich she also had to pay a parking fee as the charger was on a car park with number plate access.
    5) Not all charge points are in places that a woman can be at ease at night when alone, and the time there waiting the charge time is disconcerting.
    6) use things like heaters in winter and the charge disapears very quickly.
     7) The car was lovely, just needed an engine of some kind.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on February 18, 2022, 11:08:43 am by Axholme Lion »
   1) she found it a strange experience you just cant jump in and drive off, you have things to do like disconnect and check the range, and even top up if necessary.
   2) At one charge point it would not accept her app for payment and she had to go through another app on her phone so you could need a number of payment options.
   3) not all charge points work, her local point at Normanton for instance non of the three charges were in use.
    4) as said in Ipswich she also had to pay a parking fee as the charger was on a car park with number plate access.
    5) Not all charge points are in places that a woman can be at ease at night when alone, and the time there waiting the charge time is disconcerting.

All very valid points. Don't worry once Boris and his boss Carrie have gone all this will be on a back burner for years.
One thing i have noticed is that many of the people who buy electric cars are a bit 'different'...

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on February 18, 2022, 11:14:40 am by Ldr »
I lease through work AL and all the incentives are now pushing towards full EV. Chances are next car will be one because of that, not through any environmental choice

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on February 18, 2022, 11:28:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »

All very valid points. Don't worry once Boris and his boss Carrie have gone all this will be on a back burner for years.
One thing i have noticed is that many of the people who buy electric cars are a bit 'different'...

A bit different in that they think about the future they are bequeathing and don't support eugenics?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on February 18, 2022, 01:07:49 pm by selby »
  Billy, you really are p*ss*ng into the wind, look at last months coal production figures world wide, they were the highest ever on record with production profits because of high prices making mine owners in the USA considering re opening mines.
  Where there is a buck to be made the future gets the sex and travel treatment.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:12:34 pm by selby »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on February 18, 2022, 02:52:57 pm by Axholme Lion »

A bit different in that they think about the future they are bequeathing and don't support eugenics?

At least i'm not on the wrong side of every debate/argument on this forum. Do you do it on purpose? Do you have a peverse disire to argue, talk down to and belittle everyone on here who doesn't agree with your agenda? You reckon to be liberal but you only ever see one side of an argument, climate, brexit, BLM, covid, Ukraine...I have my own views on subjects, many may not like them, but by the same token i'm prepared to listen to others, you are not. People like you are the real evil that close down every debate by screaming racist, fascist and the like every time you come across something that you rule to be wrong.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on February 18, 2022, 03:10:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
AL
No. I don't scream "racist, fascist and the like every time I come across something that I rule to be wrong."

I call out racists and fascists writing stuff that racists and fascists write.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on February 18, 2022, 03:16:48 pm by Axholme Lion »
AL
No. I don't scream "racist, fascist and the like every time I come across something that I rule to be wrong."

I call out racists and fascists writing stuff that racists and fascists write.

According to your view of the world.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on February 18, 2022, 04:00:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No. According to generally accepted norms of what constitutes racism and fascism.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on February 18, 2022, 07:01:24 pm by selby »
  Does that make you a commy Billy? every one has to have a handle in your world Commissar is probably your best description, they went out hunting anyone that went against the regime, yes commissar suits your all knowing bullying personality, that's my handle for you.
 I can just visualise you going around Conisborough in the middle of the night in your little Lenin hat red star at the front with your troops looking for victims to take to Denaby crags.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 07:04:39 pm by selby »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on February 23, 2022, 06:03:53 pm by selby »
  The high cost of materials used in the manufacture of batteries is now becoming a problem.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012