Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:42:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Carry on Camping........  (Read 1737 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Carry on Camping........
« on September 19, 2016, 09:23:22 am by Bentley Bullet »
But what's the best method? Caravan, Motorhome, Campervan, Trailer tent or tent?

I'm sure they each have their plusses and minuses, but what's the best compromise?

At present I've got a caravan, but after visiting the Doncaster VW show at Parklands on Sunday I'm tempted to change modes.

Any thoughts?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversontheup

• VSC Member
Re: Carry on Camping........
« Reply #1 on September 19, 2016, 09:53:31 am by roversontheup »
Depends what you like to do. As you say each mode has its positives and negatives. I've got a caravan but have been on a few long haul hols where we have hired a motorhome. Certainly easier setting up etc as water on board but downside can be that you need to use m/h when you want to visit somewhere or just go shopping.

Much depends where your site is. We tend to use small sites out of towns not so suitable for M/h.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 19, 2016, 10:28:50 am by Bentley Bullet »
Yes,the luxury of a motor home can have its downside, unless of course you are that rich that you can afford one big enough to tow a small car to use when you get there. Then again, in that case you're towing again, so why not stick to the caravan?!!

Perhaps a good compromise is a campervan, especially now that they have those detachable awnings that you can leave behind on your pitch while you go off site.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 19, 2016, 12:37:05 pm by nice one rovers »
Have you considered a fifth wheel BB?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 19, 2016, 01:37:12 pm by idler »
Yes,the luxury of a motor home can have its downside, unless of course you are that rich that you can afford one big enough to tow a small car to use when you get there. Then again, in that case you're towing again, so why not stick to the caravan?!!

Perhaps a good compromise is a campervan, especially now that they have those detachable awnings that you can leave behind on your pitch while you go off site.
We just sold a camplet trailer tent because although fairly easy to put up drying the canvas can be a pain. At least you can hang a tent on the line to dry whereas folding a trailer tent damp won't do it any good.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 19, 2016, 02:06:36 pm by Filo »
When I was a kid my parents bought a Conway Camper trailer tent, our first outing was a Bank Holiday to Reighton Gap near Filey, we got there and it was pissing it down and blowing a gale, my dad opened the trailer up and two of the matress's blow straight off the cliff into the sea, my dad promptly folded the trailer back up and we went back home, the trailer tent was up for sale the following day. We went on to have a touring caravan instead

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 19, 2016, 02:18:32 pm by roversontheup »

It depends how you want to use....how long are the trips you make, do you tour in winter, how many people ......there is a compromise whichever you chose. Don't think any one mode ticks every box, it's just a case of deciding which boxes you need ticks in!
We have a caravan, use it 12 months a year, trips from 2 days to 6 weeks in UK and in Europe. Although campervan/motorhomes appeal, at this stage our caravan suits us best. I'm sure there will come a time when that isn't the case.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 19, 2016, 03:04:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Oh aye, who do you think I am, Rockefeller?!!  :ohmy: Besides, don't you need a LGV license to drive of of them?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 19, 2016, 03:47:27 pm by Donnywolf »
I always thought you were Offya Rocka fella'

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 19, 2016, 03:55:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »

No, but I probably would if I was a pound behind Donnywolf.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 19, 2016, 05:40:37 pm by Donnywolf »

No, but I probably would if I was a pound behind Donnywolf.

Here the only Camper Van I ever bought !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2016, 05:51:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
 I can believe that n'all, tight git! That one looks a bit like Knockers'ers!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 19, 2016, 08:20:10 pm by Donnywolf »
Knockers will know it very well - the real one of course not the Cake !

It is of course a replica of the earlier Photo I posted on the other Thread

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 19, 2016, 08:47:13 pm by knockers »
I do DW. Lee and Mel are good friends.
BB, I'd go for a T25 like mine as you get a bit more space than a bay or split. Add a good quality drive away awning and you can go where you want.
My awning is attached to the van by a magnetic strip so takes seconds to detach and drive off.
If you want something a little newer then there are some tidy T4's out there but they are getting more expensive.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 11, 2016, 05:40:17 pm by bobbymax »
We had a tent then a trailer tent for years, which was great when the kids were growing up but too much for an fit-but-ageing couple to put up and down.
We splashed out on a four-berth motorhome a few years ago and have never looked back. Easy to drive and sets up in no time at all. They aren't cheap but we never get wet and there is bags of room with all the luxuries of home in case the weather is poor. We get the bikes out or get on the bus if we think we might have trouble parking.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012