Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:30:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bradford City game  (Read 4509 times)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bradford City game
« Reply #60 on March 06, 2024, 10:15:06 am by Pancho Regan »
I thought at the time that we were going to get pulled up for offside for our goal. I was almost in line and y thought that we had edged in front. The Lino was behind play though.
Nice to share a drink and a natter with Pancho Regan pre match in the Corn Dolly as well.

It was a pleasure to meet you and your Granddaughter last night Idler, really enjoyed your company.

We were the better team last night and I really enjoyed our performance. We deserved to win, no doubt about it. I was always a bit concerned that we didn't convert on of those chances we had, because at 1-0 it just takes one moment for the opposition to equalise, which is what happened.
Two points dropped there but a very encouraging performance.

I agree with all of that Neil. We just can’t seem to keep a clean sheet. I don’t know what game the ref was watching either. I’d love to see the assessor’s report. It seemed a long walk back to the car and no gym this morning as my leg and foot are killing me. Hopefully I’ll be OK to make it on Saturday.
Maybe see you in the Corn Dolly when we play City next season? There will be a few more Rovers fans in if it is a Saturday. I’ll certainly have more family there if it is.

Yes, I'll make it my 'go-to' pub before all future games at Valley Parade Dave!
Sorry we got split up as we entered the ground but I realised they had just kicked off so I didn't hang about!

You're right about the ref, he was dealing those cards out so frequently I thought it was his night off from Napoleon's down the road.
I was convinced there would be at least one red before the end, which would have been ridiculous.
I don't think either Manager would be pleased with the ref's performance, and of course they both got yellows too!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on March 06, 2024, 10:58:51 am by selby »
  The three games against Bradford are a microcosm  of our season to me.
   In the first game we were well beaten poor in midfield and at the back where Cook ran the show.
  In the EFL cup game we were kicked off the field while playing well at the start of a little resurgence, and a light bulb moment we can compete after the game but were a soft touch to their heavy handed play and a very poor official that let dangerous play go on from start to finish of the game, and we came out second best in a close encounter, but since are no longer just rolling over.
  Last night we had the resolve to match their physicality and bullying tactics in mid field, with Anderson and Wood being the rocks our game was built on giving out as much as they were getting Cook lucky not to walk for a high tackle on Anderson and a shadow of the player in the first game.
  The little slick passing football in the game was played by us, and we dished as much out as they did in the dark arts area of the game, and for much of the game controlled the pace of the game, slowing it down to their and their crowds frustration.
  We are ahead of them now as a football team, their bubble looking burst when it comes to cohesive passing play, and we at last are sticking up for ourselves and earning the right to play.
  We still have a way to go, and Crewe will be a big test of our  consistency after being below the par of late at Walsall, but we look to be getting there and no team plays well every game.
  Good teams beat good teams at their level, we now need to start beating the better teams like Crewe in the division to gain confidence for next season.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on March 06, 2024, 11:01:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We look a much better side when Molyneux plays in my opinion. His absence v Walsall made a difference.

Dead right. I hope we are having new contract talks with him.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on March 06, 2024, 01:51:58 pm by Pancho Regan »
We look a much better side when Molyneux plays in my opinion. His absence v Walsall made a difference.

Agree 100%

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 06, 2024, 03:44:57 pm by rover-n-out »
I have to say having watched the game on ifollow, I thought the commentary from the 2 home guys was the most fair and unbiased (if not totally) commentary I've heard from any game I've watched on TV for god knows how long. Very complimentary to Rovers at times saying we played at a high tempo with lots of energy and no little skill. They picked out James Maxwell as outstanding and his effort deserved a goal. A pleasant change to listen to 2 commentators give a well balanced commentary on the game instead of hearing Rovers this, Rovers that, dirty team etc. etc. well done guys and thank you.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on March 06, 2024, 04:13:34 pm by Donnywolf »
I agree , and their views on the Ref mirrored what I thought and have posted on Rate the Ref

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on March 06, 2024, 04:15:37 pm by pib »
I'd go with that re: Moly. Definitely offer Maxwell and Faulkner something as well, and possibly Westbrooke (although if there is a cheaper alternative that can do the same job, I wouldn't be against it) and probably let go of the rest. Biggins has been decent recently but I still think we need better if we're serious about aiming for the top end of this league.

As for last night, I thought we were decent for the first 80 minutes and looked good for a win. Frustrating that we couldn't get the 2nd goal to ensure the win, but I think we can be encouraged by the performance on a really difficult pitch. To say we're not the most "rough and ready" team I thought we handled it really well. I thought Craig was good, as was Maxwell, and Biggins had another decent game. Adelakun and Ironside weren't at their best but I think they can be forgiven for that, considering how well they've both done in previous games.

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 06, 2024, 04:36:23 pm by Dabbermoo »
I'd go with that re: Moly. Definitely offer Maxwell and Faulkner something as well, and possibly Westbrooke (although if there is a cheaper alternative that can do the same job, I wouldn't be against it) and probably let go of the rest. Biggins has been decent recently but I still think we need better if we're serious about aiming for the top end of this league.

As for last night, I thought we were decent for the first 80 minutes and looked good for a win. Frustrating that we couldn't get the 2nd goal to ensure the win, but I think we can be encouraged by the performance on a really difficult pitch. To say we're not the most "rough and ready" team I thought we handled it really well. I thought Craig was good, as was Maxwell, and Biggins had another decent game. Adelakun and Ironside weren't at their best but I think they can be forgiven for that, considering how well they've both done in previous games.

After this season can anyone tell me why Faulkner deserves a new contract? I get he's young and had potential but he has done absolutely nothing to warrant a new contract, hasn't been out on loan for the majority of the season, played very few games although has been injured but all that aside why does he deserve a new contract, he's brought less than Biggins to the team but people are happy to let him go but mention Faulkner and its like he's the messiah and he must be signed, what am I missing??

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 06, 2024, 04:51:23 pm by pib »

After this season can anyone tell me why Faulkner deserves a new contract? I get he's young and had potential but he has done absolutely nothing to warrant a new contract, hasn't been out on loan for the majority of the season, played very few games although has been injured but all that aside why does he deserve a new contract, he's brought less than Biggins to the team but people are happy to let him go but mention Faulkner and its like he's the messiah and he must be signed, what am I missing??

Answered your own question... he's young and has a lot of potential. Worth keeping for the future even if he's not featured much this season, albeit we need to manage his development better I think.

I don't think he's the messiah at all. I don't think he's anywhere near ready for L2, and it remains to be seen whether he will in future, but he has enough promise to justify keeping him around.

Comparing with Biggins is like comparing apples and oranges. Biggins is 28 this month and is likely at the peak of how good he's going to be. To treat a 19 y/o player the same way based on his first-team contribution would be very muddled thinking if you ask me.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 06, 2024, 06:57:23 pm by grayx »
That's a really dissappinting goal to concede. Jamie Sterry is culpable there. The more I've seen of him, I don't think he's up to the standard we need
Maybe a bit harsh on sterry.
Tired legs at end of game on heavy pitch & perhaps keeper could have done better?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 06, 2024, 07:06:51 pm by Spilsby Red »
Keeper should have saved that

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on March 06, 2024, 07:13:48 pm by Branton Red »
Really poor goalkeeping again. Same as the 3rd goal against Walsall.

Not too surprising that such a young, inexperienced keeper is starting to make mistakes for all his promise.

It may be best to take him out of the firing line at this point. He's here to help Rovers, and has done so, he's not here to have his confidence shattered by the club.

I don't think Jones would have conceded either of the 2 goals I've referenced.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on March 06, 2024, 09:11:57 pm by dickos1 »
Footballers make mistakes, but if a goalkeeper makes one then it’s usually a goal.
You can’t drag him out the team because he’s made a couple of mistakes.
He’s a far better goalkeeper than jones,

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on March 06, 2024, 09:19:00 pm by drfchound »
TLT is way in front of Jones IMO and he isn’t afraid to get into the mix and catch or punch the ball away.
One punch clear at Bradford was terrific under pressure from their big men.
Jones is more likely to be rooted to his line.
The Tyler Smith goal last night was an instinctive poke at a good ball into the box and went over the keepers head at pace from around six to eight yards out.
Sometimes those shots go in and sometimes they hit the keeper.
This time it went in, it happens.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 06, 2024, 09:55:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Really poor goalkeeping again. Same as the 3rd goal against Walsall.

Not too surprising that such a young, inexperienced keeper is starting to make mistakes for all his promise.

It may be best to take him out of the firing line at this point. He's here to help Rovers, and has done so, he's not here to have his confidence shattered by the club.

I don't think Jones would have conceded either of the 2 goals I've referenced.
Seriously?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on March 09, 2024, 07:41:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If we weren't on Tuesday, I assume we will be doing at 9am Monday. The lad was superb today and he's revelling in this new style where we are breaking quickly from the transition and trying to turn defenders.

Really important player for next year.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012