Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:34:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well...  (Read 3756 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Well...
« Reply #30 on October 31, 2021, 12:06:49 am by dickos1 »
Get real, when Rotherham came in for Grigg what do you think his thought process might have been?…..’

‘Mmmm…I could go to a club that has just come down from The Championship, has a greater fan base, has a more stable managerial status all of that combining with a greater opportunity to be playing Championship football again next season & an even bigger salary or Doncaster Rovers.

Give me one second to think & a great deal longer to keep them ‘fighting’ for my signature as the stakes rise.

I think you’re completely missing the point!
If we’d sorted the deal when it was agreed with Sunderland then Rotherham weren’t on the scene
Me missing the point! Get real.

Players like Griggs know full well how to ‘play the system’.

He hung us out like a kipper! And if Richie with all the dealings he’s had with clubs, agents & players of the ilk of Grigg’s couldn’t see the writing on the wall then more fool him….or those like you who thought we ‘simply didn’t move quickly enough’

Jeez!

It wasn’t grigg delaying the deal, it was us trying to make funds available.
Now if you’re trying to say everyone who spoke about the situation during that period is lying then that’s a different matter.
The deal was agreed two weeks before deadline day, there’s plenty of interviews about stating this

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on October 31, 2021, 12:12:20 am by Colin C No.3 »
Ah yes, those indisputable interviews.

Messi seeing his career out at Barca, Ronaldo signing for City & Pep, Kane having played his final game in a Spurs shirt.

Get real.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 31, 2021, 12:12:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
No it didn't. Read the actual words.

Wellens "urged him to accept one of the two offers from League Two clubs that came in last week.

But the 29-year-old has told the Rovers boss he does not want to leave for the offers on the table."

Nowhere in that article does it say Wellens "IS URGING" Bogle to take one of the offers.  Not a single word of that article gives any indication that Wellens expected Bogle to change his mind.

So the key point is that at the very least, a week before deadline day, there was a clear and obvious danger that we were coming out the other side with only Cukur as an available striker. If there really was no discussion between Wellens and the club management about a Plan B over the next 6 days, then money was suddenly made available, someone has f**ked up badly on the internal communications.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 12:15:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 31, 2021, 12:17:42 am by dickos1 »
You’re nit picking quite a lot here!
The article doesn’t read to me that he’s resigned to him staying it reads he’s telling him to go.

Anyhow that’s how it panned out, we agreed a deal with Sunderland, two weeks before deadline day, but didn’t have the funds to complete the deal.
Then on deadline day the board made the funds available but grigg then decided to join Rotherham

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 31, 2021, 12:19:50 am by dickos1 »
Ah yes, those indisputable interviews.

Messi seeing his career out at Barca, Ronaldo signing for City & Pep, Kane having played his final game in a Spurs shirt.

Get real.

As I said, if you think they’re lying then that’s a different matter.

Wellens said a long time before deadline day that they’d agreed a deal for a striker without naming him. And said certain things had to happen for us to be able to complete the deal.
This turned out to be the deal for grigg

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 31, 2021, 01:23:05 am by silent majority »
The article doesn’t read to me that he’s resigned to him staying it reads he’s telling him to go.

Anyhow that’s how it panned out, we agreed a deal with Sunderland, two weeks before deadline day, but didn’t have the funds to complete the deal.
Then on deadline day the board made the funds available but grigg then decided to join Rotherham

Crikey, we’re not having to do this again are we?

We did agree a deal with Sunderland for Grigg a couple of weeks before the end of the transfer window, but it was Sunderland who wouldn’t complete the deal until they were guaranteed the signings of their two German transfer targets. That’s what pushed it until the last day.

Then Rotherham came in with a deal at the death, we more than matched it but Grigg chose to go to them rather than us. It had nothing to do with not having the funds to complete the deal.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 31, 2021, 02:59:29 am by anton123 »
We couldn’t even bring any of the trilests in who was any good then the good ones go and we sign Gardner f**k me it’s been a shambles from the summer onwards it starts of bright but then they started saying no more money and we could all see we was 6 players off a squad at that point and from there alarm bells started ringing and it’s proved right we are way short

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 31, 2021, 06:29:08 am by BigH »

We did agree a deal with Sunderland for Grigg a couple of weeks before the end of the transfer window, but it was Sunderland who wouldn’t complete the deal until they were guaranteed the signings of their two German transfer targets. That’s what pushed it until the last day.

Then Rotherham came in with a deal at the death, we more than matched it but Grigg chose to go to them rather than us. It had nothing to do with not having the funds to complete the deal.
And to be fair to Grigg, looks like he made the right move!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 31, 2021, 07:20:53 am by The Beast »
It’s a bit futile this conversation about Grigg but at the time that we had supposedly agreed terms, do you think we were the only deal on the table for a player of Grigg’s status and his agent wasn’t talking to other clubs?? Do you think he was going to come to Donny go down the training ground see who he was going to be playing with and put pen to paper without having other options ?
Sunderland were waiting to see if they could get players in before they let players go, think they signed 2 from Munich on deadline day. Grigg was never going to sign for a team bottom of league 1.
Wellens was dangling a carrot, maybe hoping it would happen and trying to deflect attention from the situation we were in and at the same time making Bogle a scapegoat. I’ve spent the budget but the reason I can’t sign x is because Bogle won’t move. But Bogle doesn’t have to move he’s part of the budget. Then it gets to deadline day and multiple clubs are mentioned for Grigg and he goes to Rotherham. Wellens was between a rock and a hard place he did what he did.
I’m not saying it’s all Wellens’ fault Dickos1, to me there are lots of contributing factors but looking at yesterday’s game, the goals we conceded and what we created, we could have Kane up front and it’d be irrelevant. We’ve got defenders who lose every header and a keeper who has definitely got some talent but looked shell-shocked yesterday. I wouldn’t sack Wellens yet but I’m struggling to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 31, 2021, 07:37:43 am by Canadian Rover »
There are a lot of mixed messages from Wellens so far...
The double standards in Bogle not trying to sticking by Cukur who clearly does not give a shit about DRFC - his attitude and effort when coming on against Cheltenham was nothing short of disgraceful.

Wellens also clearly stated he wants his striker to play the width of the 6 yard box (after watching Ronaldo) and yet his plan yesterday was to play Dodoo in the channels.

The lack of discipline Richie has shown on the touch lines...wasn't yesterday his first game back and he's the one getting booked again?

We've conceded what must be a record number of set piece goals at this stage of the season but he doesn't acknowledge any extra effort to go into them or a change of approach.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 31, 2021, 07:39:05 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Regardless, the problem in my mind with Wellens is still him refusing to use Bogle. Either something more happened there that we don't know about or Wellens is completely wrong not using him.

Bogle isn't a great player, but he's an extra option in a light squad and goalscoring wise still probably the best option.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 31, 2021, 07:59:57 am by dickos1 »

Well if that’s the case both the media and wellens lied.
It was reported by all the media and wellens has stated in interviews that the board made the extra funds available on deadline day to make the signing.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 31, 2021, 08:00:46 am by Chris Black come back »
Knoyle reminds me of ATS. Highly rated elsewhere but defending was an afterthought when he pulled on the hoops. Probably a bit unfair on Knoyle but you get the drift.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 31, 2021, 08:03:37 am by dickos1 »
Regardless, the problem in my mind with Wellens is still him refusing to use Bogle. Either something more happened there that we don't know about or Wellens is completely wrong not using him.

Bogle isn't a great player, but he's an extra option in a light squad and goalscoring wise still probably the best option.

I fail to see how Bogle would be our best option goalscoring wise.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 31, 2021, 09:13:41 am by The Beast »

I fail to see how Bogle would be our best option goalscoring wise.

As a manager you’ve got to utilise what you’ve got, obviously we don’t know exactly what’s gone off but do you watch Dodoo and think he was a good signing? He shows glimpses but seems to lack intelligence, constantly getting caught offside. Is Bogle that much worse?
We were all clamouring for a striker in September but the lack of a quality goalkeeper, a quality centre half and a quality DM are screaming at me every game. When Fej and Taylor come back we’ll have loads of forward players but will still be powder puff at the back and in midfield. The characters we want and need will not be available in January because they will be the types who are integral to their present clubs.
I’m getting a bit bored now of Wellens saying we are not competing then the next game comes and we don’t compete. Set pieces? what’s happening there? This week is critical for Wellens, we can’t lose to Crewe and we can’t let Scunny knock us out the cup.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 31, 2021, 09:16:28 am by dickos1 »
The only signing he could make was a player without a club so doodoo was as good as it could’ve been.
John is a very good centre half at this level so will make a difference.
And our goalkeeper in my opinion is good

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 31, 2021, 09:29:15 am by The Beast »
I rate John, hopefully be back soon, Williams is all over.
Our goalkeeper has got talent, very raw, didn’t look like he had a good game yesterday but not our biggest problem.
Agree Dodoo was all we could’ve got, just saying if we didn’t have the situation with Bogle, regardless of who’s fault it is we could’ve had someone on a par without using extra funds. Sometimes as a leader you’ve got to build bridges and get people to play for you! Just seems a waste having 2 players training at XP, when you could have them sat on the bench and have 2 youth players at non league clubs getting game time.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 31, 2021, 09:32:46 am by dickos1 »
Bogle though, charlton fans told us he doesn’t work and is useless.
Under Moore he just wandered about and blamed everybody else, wellens gave him a chance but obviously in training he didn’t impress.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 31, 2021, 09:47:33 am by The Beast »
Under Moore he just wandered about and blamed everybody else, wellens gave him a chance but obviously in training he didn’t impress.

He’s definitely lost his way, been a player there at some point though, I’m not sure you could say the same for Gardner and Barlow.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 31, 2021, 09:47:46 am by normal rules »
Can you imagine the uproar from some if RW played bogle and he started scoring goals? RW would never live it down. Managerial suicide.
He said at the time that when Ferguson showed him the door he did the right thing and he expected Bogle to do the same.
What he did not bank on was bogle digging his heels in ( and prob his agent)
I get the whole contract thing, but I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I was getting paid for doing feck all. This must have a neg impact on those that are playing too.
There is something fundamentally wrong with contracts IMO. There should be clauses in them giving managers some power back. A “brown letter” element if you like.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 31, 2021, 09:56:36 am by Filo »

He’s definitely lost his way, been a player there at some point though, I’m not sure you could say the same for Gardner and Barlow.

Don’t think he ever had a way, apart from his spell at Grimsby in the Conference and L2 he’s done nothing, he left Grimsby in 2017 and has dined out on that spell ever since, he’s a L2 player at best

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 31, 2021, 09:59:52 am by Chris Black come back »
I have used these stats before. Something like 2/3 of all his goals ever have been in non-league and around 1/2 were in the semi pro game. When he ‘had it’ he was playing against very weak opposition, and nothing like he faces now in League One.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 31, 2021, 10:04:47 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Why can't the club just pay Bogle off the remainder of his contract, terminate his contract and ship him out the door?

Why have someone at the club who will never play?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 31, 2021, 10:09:21 am by Filo »
Why can't the club just pay Bogle off the remainder of his contract, terminate his contract and ship him out the door?

Paying his contract up doesn’t free up any money

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 31, 2021, 10:13:54 am by Campsall rover »
Get real, when Rotherham came in for Grigg what do you think his thought process might have been?…..’

‘Mmmm…I could go to a club that has just come down from The Championship, has a greater fan base, has a more stable managerial status all of that combining with a greater opportunity to be playing Championship football again next season & an even bigger salary or Doncaster Rovers.

Give me one second to think & a great deal longer to keep them ‘fighting’ for my signature as the stakes rise.
Greater fan base. Disagree. No evidence of that.
Our ave gate in the most recent 5 years we were in the Championship was higher than Rotherham’s in that league in their most recent seasons at that level.

The only reason Rotherham are getting bigger gates than us at the present time is where we are both at in this league right now.

If you put both clubs in The Premier league with a Stadium that could hold 20,000 i would have you a wager we would fill it most matches and average 18/19.000 and Rotherham would average 15/16.000
While I obviously have no evidence on the latter i think that would be reasonably accurate.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 31, 2021, 10:20:47 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »

The point i was trying to make was that if we don't have to pay anything extra for ending his contract early, why not just do it now? Still got to pay the same amount of money in the end.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 31, 2021, 10:23:46 am by DonnyOsmond »

The point i was trying to make was that if we don't have to pay anything extra for ending his contract early, why not just do it now? Still got to pay the same amount of money in the end.

Not if he leaves in January. If it gets to the 31st of Jan and nothings happening then they may pay up his contract.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 31, 2021, 10:43:29 am by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Ah thanks DonnyOsmond. Didn't know that.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 31, 2021, 10:53:37 am by DonnyOsmond »
We'd need to receive a nominal fee for that remaining wages too, I believe.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 31, 2021, 11:20:22 am by Padge_DRFC »

This would only benefit Bogle he'd get all his money paid up and be a free agent to go and earn more money potentially.

Moving to Grimsby probably meant less money so stayed. He'd get all our pay and more on top if released.

Hopefully Darren Moore will take him in January of he's still in a job.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012