Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:16:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Devante Cole - signed?  (Read 19170 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Devante Cole - signed?
« Reply #90 on January 27, 2020, 02:33:08 pm by Chris Black come back »
It's a loan in all but name.

Even if that was true,it leaves another loan spot available for match day squad still,so still better than a loan.

I suspect that could explain what has happened. We wanted him on loan for rest of season but would have taken loan space so we bought him out of his contract for six months as his deal was running down. Perhaps?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on January 27, 2020, 02:37:50 pm by roversdude »
Any idea on squad number ?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on January 27, 2020, 02:39:11 pm by since-1969 »
We have paid a fee for him according to the Wigan website
Loan end of 19/20

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on January 27, 2020, 02:40:26 pm by IDM »
It’s not a loan..

Yes the current deal is no longer than a loan may have been, but it’s not a loan, period.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 27, 2020, 02:43:30 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Until this morning, was Cole on any of our fans’ radars as a potential signing.?

He was on mine as he was rumoured to be someone we were interested in under Fergusons tenure

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on January 27, 2020, 02:44:58 pm by CantleyRed »
At Bradford my mates said that he took the wrong option too many times and was greedy.
Hopefully he has moved on now with more experience.
And from my City mate: He was poor when we had him I'm afraid.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on January 27, 2020, 02:47:24 pm by Retdon1 »
I’m trying to work out how this deal fits in with what we’re told on Twitter regarding one deal would effect others.
Does this mean we’ve signed him now instead of idah on loan?

Maybe if the Ideh or a different Prem youngsters deal was off then we would have signed Cole on loan but we have made the deal for Cole a permanent one even though it’s only until May so it keeps that loan space available

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 27, 2020, 02:48:28 pm by Metalmicky »
DC's record v Donny.... from what i can find.

02 Dec 14 - v Barnsley (Donny away) - 1:1 - full game - didn't score.  League One
17 Oct 15 - v Bradford (Donny home) - 0:1 - full game - DC scored only goal.  League One
23 Jan 16 - v Fleetwood (Donny away) - 0:0 - on as sub 59 min - didn't score.  League One
18 Nov 17 - v Fleetwood (Donny away) - 0:0 - full game - didn't score.  League One
5 May 18 - v Wigan (Donny home) - 0:1 - on as sub 89 min - didn't score.  league One

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 27, 2020, 02:53:27 pm by Jonathan »
New song for him by the Beatles:

Hello, Goodbye

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 27, 2020, 02:53:56 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Someone will find summat up wi it.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 27, 2020, 03:03:41 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Just wish it was a longer contract. In theory he's a good signing who i'd be confident Moore could improve. Looking at how much Gomes has come on is proof of the coaching going on behind the scenes. Hope is we extend beyond a year at the end of the season if he proves himself. If his attitude is terrible then it's better than having another Kiwomya picking a wage up for nothing.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on January 27, 2020, 03:11:38 pm by ctay »
Motherwell fan who is a friend says, he's ok but never looks fit. Bit unsure of him, but lets give him a go.

Really don't get the contract situation.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on January 27, 2020, 03:11:43 pm by the vicar »
Injury prone and not many goals buy give him the benefit of the doubt I guess

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 27, 2020, 03:12:32 pm by CantleyRed »
A good player at this level - folks would have been pleased had he signed in August.?

Wonder when this will get officially announced.?
Don't worry , I am sure there will be plenty to offer a different opinion  :chair:
Well only scored 4 in 19 and another wide player when we need a front man, so it's a massive no from me.

hes deffo a striker looking at the highlights reel....
That's good news if I'm wrong thinking he was a wide man in Scotland. Now I've checked  I see that even though he weighs 82kg he is over 6 foot so not too wide after all.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 27, 2020, 03:14:20 pm by Metalmicky »
I guarantee that if the lad hasn't scored half a dozen by the end of February, someone will be on his back... :silly:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 27, 2020, 03:15:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
At Bradford my mates said that he took the wrong option too many times and was greedy.

Aye. I said the same about Brian Deane...

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on January 27, 2020, 03:18:36 pm by RoversAlias »
Some of the negative comments already are disappointing. Not surprising though, we could sign Lionel Messi and someone would complain he's too short or old.

Devante Cole, let's see what he can do. Darren Moore is someone who can find the way to get him to his best, which is clearly a high level.

Someone mentioned whether he was a long-term target as Cole said he spoke to Darren last week, well from what I've read this deal has been in the works all month but what is likely is that Wigan were the stumbling block for a couple of weeks as the clubs tried to find common ground on the deal. That I expect was only sorted last week, at which time Cole was allowed to speak to Moore and Rovers himself to work out a contract.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on January 27, 2020, 03:20:34 pm by Pancho Regan »
DC's record v Donny.... from what i can find.

02 Dec 14 - v Barnsley (Donny away) - 1:1 - full game - didn't score.  League One
17 Oct 15 - v Bradford (Donny home) - 0:1 - full game - DC scored only goal.  League One
23 Jan 16 - v Fleetwood (Donny away) - 0:0 - on as sub 59 min - didn't score.  League One
18 Nov 17 - v Fleetwood (Donny away) - 0:0 - full game - didn't score.  League One
5 May 18 - v Wigan (Donny home) - 0:1 - on as sub 89 min - didn't score.  league One

Strangely, I remember him coming on for Fleetwood as a sub in that game in Jan 2016. I think they had just signed him and it was mentioned by one of their fans I was chatting to in the pub before the game that they'd signed Andy Cole's son

So I was watching out for him coming off the bench - I was sure he would score!
He looked useful but played a bit like a headless chicken, probably trying too hard.

Let's hope he settles quickly with us and adds something up front.
Agree that the contract sounds odd.

CantleyRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 27, 2020, 03:22:27 pm by CantleyRed »
TBF my City mate is so pissed off with his team he would say that. A bit like Leeds fans they think they are better than they really are.

Aye. I said the same about Brian Deane...

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on January 27, 2020, 03:24:04 pm by Jonathan »
As per comments earlier in the thread, I was really happy with this one when the news broke. He’s nowhere near the finished article but he has a decent pedigree, height, pace and potential to get back on track when he settles here. The length of the contract is just perplexing. It smacks of yet another short term fix and an issue rolled forward to the summer.

We’re constantly having to review contracts. We’ve just 8 contracted senior players for next season, and as soon as that kicks off we’ll need to be mindful that, of that 8, Lawlor, Halliday, James, Wright and Gomes will be entering their last years meaning more decisions will need to be made about their futures.

It wouldn’t be so much of an issue but we don’t seem to progress things quickly. Rewind a year and Sadlier came in on an 18 month deal, presumably to show what he can do and earn an improved contract. Not sure what else he could do other than cement a place in the team as the top scorer and (second to Coppinger at the moment) assist maker and still that hasn’t been resolved.

If Devante Cole comes in and scores something approaching double figures in half a season then we’d better be acting quickly on his contract. And the rest.

The long term planning isn’t evident yet. And before anyone starts I’m not moaning for the sake of it. I am happy with this calibre of player. But where is the medium to long term structure? Or will that become clearer in the next few days.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on January 27, 2020, 03:35:18 pm by bobjimwilly »
so many things that could have got in the way of a long-term/permanent deal, including what the play/his agent might have actually been looking for? e.g. maybe Devant wanted to play in championship, so he signed until end of season and if we get promoted we've got him in the bag etc etc

so many reasons why we only signed him to the summer. Let's just look at this as a huge positive, a proven striker with potential to become a great signing!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on January 27, 2020, 03:55:55 pm by Metalmicky »
We’re constantly having to review contracts. We’ve just 8 contracted senior players for next season, and as soon as that kicks off we’ll need to be mindful that, of that 8, Lawlor, Halliday, James, Wright and Gomes will be entering their last years meaning more decisions will need to be made about their futures.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this sort of decision making thing happens at every club..... :huh:

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on January 27, 2020, 03:57:05 pm by boro_rover »
I imagine we agreed to pay a portion of his wages until the end of the season as Wigan and Coke didn’t see a future together. I am not bothered about his lack of fitness or his apparent greedy attitude. The greed is self confidence which is good for a front man, it means he is trying to prove a point. The fitness comes with time. He is also quite young so still learning his craft. His record at this level is not bad at all so I am prettt happy.

I imagine if he does well we will extend his contract further.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on January 27, 2020, 03:59:36 pm by Metalmicky »
I wonder if we bought out his contract at Wigan and chose to run it down and review in the summer....  Wigan will then have received (or rather saved) some money from the deal - his wages until his contract expires - and we have got a player to fill a gap with the possibility to extend this if things work out...?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on January 27, 2020, 04:23:03 pm by drfchound »
I think it was Cole who scored in the 90th minute (was it for Crewe) to put them 2-1 up at the KM.
The ground virtually emptied but we scored two in add on time to win the match.

I was dashing out earlier and have now had time to check my facts on this.
The player I had in mind was Callum Saunders, not Devante Cole.
I knew that it was the son of a famous striker but for some reason thought it might have been Cole.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on January 27, 2020, 04:29:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Seems positive to me, he's at least an able striker which is what we needed. From the various youtube vids he clearly can pick out the net from close range in difficult situations. That's the goals of course, as for what he missed, who knows? Also his overall play we'll see.

Short term contract - who knows what the reasoning is there - fitness/injuries, money, him not being *the obvious ideal* player we're looking for, DM having irons in the fire for next season? I'm very happy with what I see so far with him and the contract, seems like wise purchasing to me.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on January 27, 2020, 04:31:20 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He's had attitude issues before so possibly could be to see how he is in the squad before extending, rather than having one bad egg.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on January 27, 2020, 04:47:52 pm by steve@dcfd »
Looking at Devante’s comments the position of our team in the league  pushing for playoffs. Therefore the initial contract length will be for us to look at him and for him to look at us. It may to see where we finish, could be about wages, could be we want to see how he handles league 1 again and his scoring record. So it’s a good signing it may not be the long term transfer but it appears to have suited both parties.
Now let’s move on to the next two please, permanent and loan. An attacking midfield player who can play the middle of the front three (scores goals ) and defensive qualities and another striker/ forward.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 27, 2020, 05:13:02 pm by nortikorner »
We get a striker over the line
And they moan
We Buy the player on a short contract
And they moan
If we got another loan player
They would moan
Devante Cole as a short period to prove he should have a longer contract
Darren Moore as the remainder of the season to see if Devante.Can work in Darrens system
Instead of moaning thats good business

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on January 27, 2020, 05:19:44 pm by Sprotyrover »
Let's take this as  positive,I'm pleasantly surprised 😳

TinyPortal © 2005-2012