Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:18:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 40244 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #90 on January 09, 2020, 06:59:46 pm by Jonathan »
I don’t really get the relevance of the talk of panic buying. It couldn’t be any clearer that we’re not going to panic buy. Quite the opposite.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that we’ve clearly had time to plan, the targets have been identified, but there’s no evident sign of progress.

Portsmouth identified John Marquis, our top scorer who we wanted to keep. Cheltenham identified Alfie May, a player that was under contract and formed part of our matchday squad nearly all season. They struck the deals when they wanted the players and made their respective progress. It may be that we’ve identified players that clubs want to keep, in fact I hope we have, but we don’t seem to have got anything in place. It’s not like the need to strengthen has come as a sudden surprise.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on January 09, 2020, 07:01:26 pm by since-1969 »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
It’s quality not quantity we need in the summer.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.
Another 2/3 permanent signings in the summer required.

No drastic transfer activity is required.

Couple of loanees now will do nicely thankyou. 

I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about.
We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very positive situation.

Why can’t we sign players Moore wants now? Do you really think he’s targeted nobody for this window?
The squad was wafer thin a month ago, since then we’ve lost 3 players and you’re suggesting we don’t need players?
Moore has even stated himself we need bodies, you predicted earlier this season we could finish top two and now you’re resigning yourself to a midtable finish, because that is all we can hope for with no additions
Has no one noticed that the club has stagnated since we dropped out of the Championship because it nearly lost its backers their hard earned cash . John Ryan’s dream had been realised and it was NOT sustainable and the club fell to L2 before it stopped leaking money . Apart from Dickov who was sacked , every manager has left for money reasons and DM took the job knowing that he would have to keep a very tight grip on what the club spends , hence the loans . We are low supported club and they do not see this changing any time soon . 6-8k attendances isn’t going buy a 500k player or pay 10-15k week wages. And it would need this sort of changes to attract the players DM would like . DM isn’t getting the recognition he deserves for building a team with spirit if not absolute talent. Stop trying to second guess what will happen when history has already told us that we will get the left overs that no one else wants .

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on January 09, 2020, 07:01:44 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I trust DM more than I trust anyone on this forum to do what’s best for DRFC. I trust he’ll do what’s needed to bring in the right players. If he doesn’t bring anyone else in then it won’t be for the lack of trying.

Too many people panicking on here. Too many experts who think they know how to manage a football club.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:29:05 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on January 09, 2020, 07:03:35 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.

We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very positive situation.

Why can’t we sign players Moore wants now? Do you really think he’s targeted nobody for this window?
The squad was wafer thin a month ago, since then we’ve lost 3 players and you’re suggesting we don’t need players?
Moore has even stated himself we need bodies, you predicted earlier this season we could finish top two and now you’re resigning yourself to a midtable finish, because that is all we can hope for with no additions
Has no one noticed that the club has stagnated since we dropped out of the Championship because it nearly lost its backers their hard earned cash . John Ryan’s dream had been realised and it was NOT sustainable and the club fell to L2 before it stopped leaking money . Apart from Dickov who was sacked , every manager has left for money reasons and DM took the job knowing that he would have to keep a very tight grip on what the club spends , hence the loans . We are low supported club and they do not see this changing any time soon . 6-8k attendances isn’t going buy a 500k player or pay 10-15k week wages. And it would need this sort of changes to attract the players DM would like . DM isn’t getting the recognition he deserves for building a team with spirit if not absolute talent. Stop trying to second guess what will happen when history has already told us that we will get the left overs that no one else wants .

Blimey! Have you ever thought about joining the clubs Marketing Dept?  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:28:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on January 09, 2020, 07:10:32 pm by the vicar »

I'm not sure about that left over thing I think he is aiming to high

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on January 09, 2020, 07:16:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
I don’t really get the relevance of the talk of panic buying. It couldn’t be any clearer that we’re not going to panic buy. Quite the opposite.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that we’ve clearly had time to plan, the targets have been identified, but there’s no evident sign of progress.

Portsmouth identified John Marquis, our top scorer who we wanted to keep. Cheltenham identified Alfie May, a player that was under contract and formed part of our matchday squad nearly all season. They struck the deals when they wanted the players and made their respective progress. It may be that we’ve identified players that clubs want to keep, in fact I hope we have, but we don’t seem to have got anything in place. It’s not like the need to strengthen has come as a sudden surprise.

He’s scored 4 in 22 for them this season and they have fewer points per game than we have, so not sure the acquisition of Marquis by Portsmouth is perhaps the best example - especially as after buying him they have struggled to work out to use him. That is despite it being patently obvious he can only be used in a certain manner. Arguably for them a poor signing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on January 09, 2020, 07:23:33 pm by dickos1 »
That’s not the point Jonathon was making.
He’s talking about clubs targeting players and then going to get them. As lots have gone on to do already this window.
It’s a surprise we haven’t done any business after the poor recruitment in the summer. At the moment it’s 0 in and 3 out. From a squad that was already remarkably lightweight 

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on January 09, 2020, 07:27:06 pm by Chris Black come back »
You’ve not quite understood. Moore takes his time to find the right player. Portsmouth moved quickly and got the guy they wanted or thought they wanted. Perhaps they would have been well served to spend a bit more time trying to understand what they were buying, because it clearly hasn’t worked out well for them so far. Moving quickly is not always as straightforward as it might appear to the impatient.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on January 09, 2020, 07:30:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
He’s talking about clubs targeting players and then going to get them. As lots have gone on to do already this window.
It’s a surprise we haven’t done any business after the poor recruitment in the summer. At the moment it’s 0 in and 3 out. From a squad that was already remarkably lightweight 

Yes, that is a point you appear to have made on multiple occasions. Perhaps we can agree that we all understand that point, and that there is no need to keep repeating it? Or perhaps if you do feel very strongly about the recruitment policy, that you commit this to paper and send a short summary of your thoughts to Darren Moore, perhaps copying Gavin Baldwin and David Blunt? They might appreciate some input, who knows.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:09:46 pm by Chris Black come back »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on January 09, 2020, 07:39:24 pm by Jonathan »
We have a better manager than Portsmouth, and credit must go to the club for that.

The failure of the Portsmouth manager to make the best use of a very good striker is not the point that I was intending to make.

Darren Moore has identified his own targets. The next step is to get them through the door.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on January 09, 2020, 07:45:52 pm by Campsall rover »
I am 99% sure that by midnight on 31/01/20 we will have 2 new players.

I am 75% sure both will be loanees from the premier league.

DM knows we need at least 2 in. He is not stupid. Think he is waiting to see what Norwich are going to do first of all.
I also think we have first option on Hirst at Leicester due to Steve Beaglehole’s relationship with Rovers and DM.
So it might be one or other of those two and someone else, probably a midfielder.
Hey you never know we might get 3 in.

But we will get someone, that is a given as far as i am concerned.
It will happen.

Anyway Rovers will be under instruction from the Doncaster and Bassetlaw health authority to make sure there are signings.
DRI simply would not be able to cope with all the high blood pressure victims in casualty on 1st Feb if there are no newcomers to the squad.  :headbang:

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on January 09, 2020, 07:47:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have a better manager than Portsmouth, and credit must go to the club for that.

The failure of the Portsmouth manager to make the best use of a very good striker is not the point that I was intending to make.

Darren Moore has identified his own targets. The next step is to get them through the door.

Soo glad you said through the door!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on January 09, 2020, 07:47:39 pm by the vicar »
DM has done a brilliant job to be where we are with more or less a scratch team and a skinny squad

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on January 09, 2020, 07:48:08 pm by Jonathan »

DM knows we need at least 2 in. He is not stupid. Think he is waiting to see what Norwich are going to do first of all.
I also think we have first option on Hirst at Leicester due to Steve Beaglehole’s relationship with Rovers and DM.
So it might be one or other of those two and someone else, probably a midfielder.

It will happen.

Anyway Rovers will be under instruction from the Doncaster and Bassetlaw health authority to make sure there are signings. DRI simply would not be able to cope with all the high blood pressure victims in casualty on 1st Feb if there are no newcomers to the squad.  :headbang:

Will anybody else be leaving, Campsall?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on January 09, 2020, 07:49:01 pm by the vicar »
Well we have already had players through the door only thing is it's the wrong way

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on January 09, 2020, 07:52:26 pm by dickos1 »
We have four games before then. 3 players have left.
Our strongest 11 is good, any injuries and the strength of our starting 11 drops significantly as showed when ennis was injured.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on January 09, 2020, 07:53:02 pm by Reesielad »

4 out - May, Sterling, Daniels and Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on January 09, 2020, 07:53:41 pm by dickos1 »
You’ve not quite understood. Moore takes his time to find the right player. Portsmouth moved quickly and got the guy they wanted or thought they wanted. Perhaps they would have been well served to spend a bit more time trying to understand what they were buying, because it clearly hasn’t worked out well for them so far. Moving quickly is not always as straightforward as it might appear to the impatient.

I understood but your reply to Jonathon wasn’t relevant.
Whether a player succeeds or not has nothing to do with what he was pointing out to you

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on January 09, 2020, 07:54:10 pm by steve@dcfd »
Listen to Radio Sheffield interview targets have been identified, their clubs and managers have been spoken to. The club is working hard to get the players he wants in but there are competition from other clubs. But there are multiple offers in so it’s not about 1 or 2 players and waiting for them.
Also offer made to Kieran Sadlier his representatives are dealing with that, still awaiting decision but he wants him to stay. So we wait to see what happens they are players that will improve the team according to DM.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:03:05 pm by steve@dcfd »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on January 09, 2020, 08:03:46 pm by silent majority »
  In the summer the news on here was that the club were making a stance on the amount of money paid to agents for doing a deal. The word was that we are willing to pay a player more money, but he has to deal with his agent.
  I myself agree with this stance, and it may be the reason we are not able to go out and sign players as easily as other clubs willing to give untold riches to middle men.
  I have no evidence whether any of this is at all true, just what I read either on here or elsewhere,  but if it is true I fully support the club in their stance, and wish that other clubs would do the same thing, and stop money leaving the game in this manner.
  I have no doubt there will be good and bad agents, some will have their players best interest at heart, others will be all for themselves, but it is time the football authorities cleaned the business up.

That's been the case for a while Selby, that we restrict the amount of money we are prepared to pay agents.

The sums I've seen mentioned for various deals in our league can be frightening.

But that’s football and if you don’t pay the fees you don’t get the players.

It’s pretty obvious that isn’t it looking at our incomings.

Nope. I knew somebody would attempt to justify my statement as to the reason we haven't signed anybody. But that's not the case.

When I'm talking about stupid money I'm in the region of 6 figure sums just for the agent!! And no EFL 1 clubs will be paying that.

It takes patience. We have to take our time unless we wish to be fleeced.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on January 09, 2020, 08:06:49 pm by Campsall rover »

It will happen.

Anyway Rovers will be under instruction from the Doncaster and Bassetlaw health authority to make sure there are signings. DRI simply would not be able to cope with all the high blood pressure victims in casualty on 1st Feb if there are no newcomers to the squad.  :headbang:

Will anybody else be leaving, Campsall?
I know no more than you Johnathan. What i said is just my opinion & I have no inner knowledge.
Do you think what i said is likely or do you think i am i talking gibberish?

No i don’t think anyone else will be leaving.

Matty Blair coming back from injury will be like having a new player.  :thumbsup:

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on January 09, 2020, 08:08:02 pm by Dagenham Rover »
 We got one over the line but we couldn't find the pen and he signed with a pencil two minutes after he had signed his agent got a phone call and rubbed his signature out  :s  :chair:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on January 09, 2020, 08:09:36 pm by silent majority »
Just listened to the Radio Sheffield interview, it’s groundhog day with all the cliche’s in there,

Getting them over the line

Crying over spilt milk

Blah blah blah!

What do you want him to say? What would you say Filo?

You know what, I don’t know what I would say, but that interview could have been one from the summer transfer window, all the soundbites and buzz phrases but nothing is happening, I can’t believe people are not concerned by the lack of activity, it’s plain to see there is a problem somewhere with the recruitment strategy. Everyone is more or less in agreement, we have a decent starting 11 but zero back up, it’s worrying and frustrating

Your reaction is incredible. Concerned?? Not in the slightest.

Problems with recruitment? How do you work that one out? DM is a stubborn mule, I'll give him that, but problems? The only problem is it's never as simple as people seem to think it is.

Worrying and frustrating? Oh dear.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on January 09, 2020, 08:13:42 pm by Campsall rover »

We’re doomed then.
Seriously are we going to miss any of them.? Answer is no.  Not one of those players has had a major impact on a game this season with an assist or goal.
Oh yes they have Thomas 3 goals. Sterling 1 assist.
May absolutely no end product just hard work running around looking busy.
Daniels some solid performances but 4 costly tackles conceding penalties costing us points.

So we won’t miss any of them and they will all be replaced with better players in the summer.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on January 09, 2020, 08:17:41 pm by silent majority »

This post is just full of absolute tosh!

Not a single sentence has any credibility at all.

You do realise that you're criticising the very people who funded all our success in recent years?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on January 09, 2020, 08:25:09 pm by silent majority »

Jonathan,

I agree with your first point, but not your second. Yes targets have been identified, and progress has been made. You're not suggesting that progress wasn't made with Norwich as an example?

I fail to see how the Marquis and May situations reflect on the business we are currently trying to do. I struggle to see the point you're making there.

As an aside, something I've mentioned on previous occasions, Darren won't be rushed into doing something just for the sake of it. He knows who he wants, we'll just have to be patient whilst the parent clubs make their moves too.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on January 09, 2020, 08:25:14 pm by dickos1 »

We’re doomed then.
Seriously are we going to miss any of them.? Answer is no.  Not one of those players has had a major impact on a game this season with an assist or goal.
Oh yes they have Thomas 3 goals. Sterling 1 assist.
May absolutely no end product just hard work running around looking busy.
Daniels some solid performances but 4 costly tackles conceding penalties costing us points.

So we won’t miss any of them and they will all be replaced with better players in the summer.

You do seem to constantly miss the point.
You need a squad, strength in depth, it’s irrelevant if they’ve not done much in your opinion.
They were all good squad players, even Thomas is better than nobody.
We had a bit of cover for positions in case someone got injured, now we have very little cover

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on January 09, 2020, 08:26:36 pm by dickos1 »

Jonathan,

I agree with your first point, but not your second. Yes targets have been identified, and progress has been made. You're not suggesting that progress wasn't made with Norwich as an example?

I fail to see how the Marquis and May situations reflect on the business we are currently trying to do. I struggle to see the point you're making there.

As an aside, something I've mentioned on previous occasions, Darren won't be rushed into doing something just for the sake of it. He knows who he wants, we'll just have to be patient whilst the parent clubs make their moves too.

By the same token though, why couldn’t we make Cheltenham be patient while we made our moves?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 09, 2020, 08:29:15 pm by Campsall rover »
Two days ago Dickos you were telling us Thomas and Bingham must go.

Make your mind up.

So your happy with anyone just so we have got the numbers.
Brilliant.

Pleased DM is the manager & not you. 

I know we need some more bodies, how many times do i have to tell you i agree with you.

He will get them.
Most transfers in Jan are done in the last week.
We will be no different to most clubs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:32:13 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on January 09, 2020, 08:30:58 pm by dickos1 »
Anyone?
We have people earning lots of money identifying good players for us to sign. Why on earth would we just sign anyone?
Odd

TinyPortal © 2005-2012