Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:45:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 40260 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #120 on January 09, 2020, 08:31:09 pm by silent majority »
I don’t really get the relevance of the talk of panic buying. It couldn’t be any clearer that we’re not going to panic buy. Quite the opposite.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that we’ve clearly had time to plan, the targets have been identified, but there’s no evident sign of progress.

Portsmouth identified John Marquis, our top scorer who we wanted to keep. Cheltenham identified Alfie May, a player that was under contract and formed part of our matchday squad nearly all season. They struck the deals when they wanted the players and made their respective progress. It may be that we’ve identified players that clubs want to keep, in fact I hope we have, but we don’t seem to have got anything in place. It’s not like the need to strengthen has come as a sudden surprise.

Jonathan,

I agree with your first point, but not your second. Yes targets have been identified, and progress has been made. You're not suggesting that progress wasn't made with Norwich as an example?

I fail to see how the Marquis and May situations reflect on the business we are currently trying to do. I struggle to see the point you're making there.

As an aside, something I've mentioned on previous occasions, Darren won't be rushed into doing something just for the sake of it. He knows who he wants, we'll just have to be patient whilst the parent clubs make their moves too.

By the same token though, why couldn’t we make Cheltenham be patient while we made our moves?

I've already answered that one, do we have to go over it again, and again?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on January 09, 2020, 08:33:11 pm by dickos1 »
Still not sure I understand why it’s ok for us to accept other clubs telling us to be patient but we just pass on our player straight away when we’ve no sign of a replacement

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 09, 2020, 08:38:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Still not sure I understand why it’s ok for us to accept other clubs telling us to be patient but we just pass on our player straight away when we’ve no sign of a replacement
Watters has been identified as a replacement for May.
Better player all round. 6 years younger.
DM can see it & that’s why Alfie has gone.

He obviously rates Blaney & Amos also and it’s going to be an oportunity for those two if we get any defensive injuries.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on January 09, 2020, 08:40:43 pm by silent majority »

Well I can't help you then. It's obvious those  blinkers of yours don't let anything in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on January 09, 2020, 08:46:07 pm by Campsall rover »
Anyone?
We have people earning lots of money identifying good players for us to sign. Why on earth would we just sign anyone?
Odd
Now your being really stupid.
Conversation ended. You just want to argue until the cows come home.
I am trying to have a grown up debate but it’s impossible.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 09, 2020, 08:47:17 pm by keith79 »
Surly It's a valid question.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on January 09, 2020, 08:52:33 pm by since-1969 »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
It’s quality not quantity we need in the summer.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.
Another 2/3 permanent signings in the summer required.

No drastic transfer activity is required.

Couple of loanees now will do nicely thankyou. 

I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about.
We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very positive situation.

Why can’t we sign players Moore wants now? Do you really think he’s targeted nobody for this window?
The squad was wafer thin a month ago, since then we’ve lost 3 players and you’re suggesting we don’t need players?
Moore has even stated himself we need bodies, you predicted earlier this season we could finish top two and now you’re resigning yourself to a midtable finish, because that is all we can hope for with no additions
Has no one noticed that the club has stagnated since we dropped out of the Championship because it nearly lost its backers their hard earned cash . John Ryan’s dream had been realised and it was NOT sustainable and the club fell to L2 before it stopped leaking money . Apart from Dickov who was sacked , every manager has left for money reasons and DM took the job knowing that he would have to keep a very tight grip on what the club spends , hence the loans . We are low supported club and they do not see this changing any time soon . 6-8k attendances isn’t going buy a 500k player or pay 10-15k week wages. And it would need this sort of changes to attract the players DM would like . DM isn’t getting the recognition he deserves for building a team with spirit if not absolute talent. Stop trying to second guess what will happen when history has already told us that we will get the left overs that no one else wants .

This post is just full of absolute tosh!

Not a single sentence has any credibility at all.

You do realise that you're criticising the very people who funded all our success in recent years?
I think you just like being obtuse , as for the very people who funded Success you mentioned , isn't it  their job or the one they chose to do as they have the funds to do it . Yet here we are wondering why we still have no No: 9 after selling our last one for£1m plus  OR have you not noticed the amount of loans we have had to take in  and are still looking for others . DM is platting with saw dust and making as good a job of it. We will stay up again thanks to him and his little book of players and as his reward he could well go like the last two before him , to a club where they want to invest cash into its team and trust the manager to spend it wisely . 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 09, 2020, 09:01:17 pm by silent majority »
Personally I would rather wait until the summer and sign the players DM wants, rather than sign someone now just to make up the numbers.
We have plenty of young players knocking on the door in Jones, Amos, Blaney, Greaves, Gomes, Watters etc. Plus the option of another few loanees to replace existing ones assuming we don’t keep any of the existing ones.

We need to sign Deing if possible or another quality keeper if he is not made available by QPR.

We are 2 points outside the play offs with 1/2 games in hand. That has been achieved with disruptions to our season and injuries to key players.

That is the reality of the situation. From where i am sat it’s a very positive situation.

Why can’t we sign players Moore wants now? Do you really think he’s targeted nobody for this window?
The squad was wafer thin a month ago, since then we’ve lost 3 players and you’re suggesting we don’t need players?
Moore has even stated himself we need bodies, you predicted earlier this season we could finish top two and now you’re resigning yourself to a midtable finish, because that is all we can hope for with no additions
Has no one noticed that the club has stagnated since we dropped out of the Championship because it nearly lost its backers their hard earned cash . John Ryan’s dream had been realised and it was NOT sustainable and the club fell to L2 before it stopped leaking money . Apart from Dickov who was sacked , every manager has left for money reasons and DM took the job knowing that he would have to keep a very tight grip on what the club spends , hence the loans . We are low supported club and they do not see this changing any time soon . 6-8k attendances isn’t going buy a 500k player or pay 10-15k week wages. And it would need this sort of changes to attract the players DM would like . DM isn’t getting the recognition he deserves for building a team with spirit if not absolute talent. Stop trying to second guess what will happen when history has already told us that we will get the left overs that no one else wants .

You do realise that you're criticising the very people who funded all our success in recent years?
I think you just like being obtuse , as for the very people who funded Success you mentioned , isn't it  their job or the one they chose to do as they have the funds to do it . Yet here we are wondering why we still have no No: 9 after selling our last one for£1m plus  OR have you not noticed the amount of loans we have had to take in  and are still looking for others . DM is platting with saw dust and making as good a job of it. We will stay up again thanks to him and his little book of players and as his reward he could well go like the last two before him , to a club where they want to invest cash into its team and trust the manager to spend it wisely . 

And I'm the one being obtuse??

Weird.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 09, 2020, 09:01:32 pm by rich1471 »
We sold May because he was not good enough , everyone love a trier, getting a fee was good business for a player that we was going to release anyway in the summer.
if we end mid table this year but Moore and  gets the players he wants in ,in the next 6 months i will be happy as he looking young talent he can coach and excite us as fans and win promotion 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on January 09, 2020, 09:01:57 pm by Alan Southstand »
I can see us requiring yet another manager, come the summer, if this is the best we can do with squad strengthening.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on January 09, 2020, 09:03:00 pm by silent majority »
I can see us requiring yet another manager, come the summer, if this is the best we can do with squad strengthening.

You need to explain your thinking on that one Alan.

I certainly don't see why, he loves it here.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 09, 2020, 09:03:17 pm by dickos1 »

Well I can't help you then. It's obvious those  blinkers of yours don't let anything in.

It’s a valid question Martin.
If you can’t answer it then fine but no need for the clever smarmy comment

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on January 09, 2020, 09:05:12 pm by silent majority »

I have answered it though, hence the smarmy response.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on January 09, 2020, 09:05:53 pm by IDM »

You don’t half talk some b*llocks..

We will stay up.?

Half way through the season and 2 points off the play offs with a game or two in hand on most..

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 09, 2020, 09:08:36 pm by since-1969 »
Give DM the funds then criticise him after,  but not for getting us within our target on a show string! 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on January 09, 2020, 09:09:38 pm by silent majority »
Give DM the funds then criticise him after,  but not for getting us within our target on a show string! 

It's his choice!! The club can't go around signing players for him.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on January 09, 2020, 09:11:48 pm by graingrover »
As for DM wanting away because of the club’s strategies I believe the absolute contrary .

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on January 09, 2020, 09:14:29 pm by dickos1 »

Yes you’ve stated it wouldn’t be fair on Alfie’s career, but then you’re saying we have to wait for other clubs to do their deals before we can sign our targets

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on January 09, 2020, 09:17:01 pm by silent majority »

Yes you’ve stated it wouldn’t be fair on Alfie’s career, but then you’re saying we have to wait for other clubs to do their deals before we can sign our targets

And it wouldn't fair on us. Imaging if he'd broken his leg last Saturday. Then what?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on January 09, 2020, 09:18:02 pm by dickos1 »
But what if our targets get injured while we’re waiting, surely it’s the same thing isn’t it?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 09, 2020, 09:18:16 pm by Alan Southstand »
My thinking is quite straightforward. Ferguson, then McCann, then ?.

When we appointed DM, I was overjoyed, as you well know, but I tempered that joy with the rider that the Club had to back him. And they’ve done anything but, in my view. I am becoming very disillusioned with the Club and any ambition we had when we secured Darren, seems to have flown out the window.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on January 09, 2020, 09:21:47 pm by silent majority »
But what if our targets get injured while we’re waiting, surely it’s the same thing isn’t it?

No, not at all. It depends on the circumstances, not every transfer is the same as another.

If everybody adopted that tactic the whole market would come to a standstill.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 09, 2020, 09:22:01 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are I think just 3 points behind where we were at this point last season. Are folk all polishing off the last of the Christmas sherry?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on January 09, 2020, 09:24:35 pm by drfchound »
CBCB, I think that people are questioning whether our recognised first choice eleven can all play in every game.
We have very little as back up as could be seen by the lack of experience and quality on our bench last Tuesday.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on January 09, 2020, 09:29:10 pm by silent majority »
My thinking is quite straightforward. Ferguson, then McCann, then ?.

When we appointed DM, I was overjoyed, as you well know, but I tempered that joy with the rider that the Club had to back him. And they’ve done anything but, in my view. I am becoming very disillusioned with the Club and any ambition we had when we secured Darren, seems to have flown out the window.

Yes, but you still haven't explained your point.

Ferguson was here for quite some time remember, and in my opinion failed given the budget he had. McCann did very well, based on exactly the same budget, albeit somewhat higher by the season end based on the bonuses paid out! But he ditched us for a Championship club, how did we get that wrong? It wasn't us.

And DM is here with the same budget, which judging by your statement that the club aren't backing him doesn't hold much water.

So tell me what the club have done wrong here?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 09, 2020, 09:30:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
People are going to take different views on players and recruitment but as a factual pointer, this supposed threadbare squad has delivered 34 points from 22 games.

In 2017/18 in League One after 22 games we had 24 points. A squad that featured Marquis, Butler, Rowe, Copps, Baudry, Williams, Mason, Whiteman, Houghton was a full 10 points behind where we are now.

Having a load of players does not guarantee you the results.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on January 09, 2020, 09:31:15 pm by dickos1 »
Is it fair to say then that Moore has a big slice of the budget still to play with?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on January 09, 2020, 09:31:32 pm by silent majority »
CBCB, I think that people are questioning whether our recognised first choice eleven can all play in every game.
We have very little as back up as could be seen by the lack of experience and quality on our bench last Tuesday.

But that's all 'if's and but's'. We are where we are. We should have smiles on our faces but some people..........

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on January 09, 2020, 09:34:27 pm by silent majority »
Is it fair to say then that Moore has a big slice of the budget still to play with?

Well of course. Surely nobody's holding up the lack of a budget for DM's reluctance to sign Tom, Dick or Harry?

Time and again we've ben told that he wants who he wants and he's prepared to wait for the players he thinks will fit in.

I understand the frustration, but we'll all have to be patient.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 09, 2020, 09:36:30 pm by Chris Black come back »
Or indeed to re-sign Tom, Ben(s) and Seny...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:50:29 pm by Chris Black come back »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012