Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 02:14:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 40250 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #150 on January 09, 2020, 09:37:40 pm by drfchound »
CBCB, I think that people are questioning whether our recognised first choice eleven can all play in every game.
We have very little as back up as could be seen by the lack of experience and quality on our bench last Tuesday.

But that's all 'if's and but's'. We are where we are. We should have smiles on our faces but some people..........

.......and I am very happy with where we are right now but I don’t think it is unreasonable to say that we have very little in the way of back up beyond the first eleven.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on January 09, 2020, 09:39:27 pm by since-1969 »
My thinking is quite straightforward. Ferguson, then McCann, then ?.

When we appointed DM, I was overjoyed, as you well know, but I tempered that joy with the rider that the Club had to back him. And they’ve done anything but, in my view. I am becoming very disillusioned with the Club and any ambition we had when we secured Darren, seems to have flown out the window.

Yes, but you still haven't explained your point.

Ferguson was here for quite some time remember, and in my opinion failed given the budget he had. McCann did very well, based on exactly the same budget, albeit somewhat higher by the season end based on the bonuses paid out! But he ditched us for a Championship club, how did we get that wrong? It wasn't us.

And DM is here with the same budget, which judging by your statement that the club aren't backing him doesn't hold much water.

So tell me what the club have done wrong here?
1) McCann dropped hints that he could leave and the club still allowed him to conduct transfers .
2) the club didn’t protect its players from McCanns rhetoric of telling them that the club could get better for less .
3) Disappointment of failure in the playoffs should have been seen as greater incentive to keep what quality the club still had and not  leave it to the next manager to build again from scratch.
4) Not selling Marquis untill his replacement was brought in .etc etc etc etc...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #152 on January 09, 2020, 09:49:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
Hang on, McCann did ok with a squad of Ferguson players, plus 2 good loans. If we still had last year’s squad, I dare say we’d be top 2, with this manager.

We’ve raped and pillaged that squad and we’re still slimming it down. There must be loads in ‘the budget’, so why are we stuttering so badly? We’ve had months to prepare for this window and we, somehow, have managed to compete without a No 9. Testament to DM’s management.

Christ knows what McCann would have made of what we’re left with!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on January 09, 2020, 10:04:19 pm by the vicar »
I can see us requiring yet another manager, come the summer, if this is the best we can do with squad strengthening.

as I have said in another place DM is his own man and he won't be rushed, and he will wait his time until the right player is available, it's not down to us if they won't release a lad till they get a replacement for him, I think he will get someone in but if he doesn't then we soldier on

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #154 on January 09, 2020, 10:18:07 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

When we appointed DM, I was overjoyed, as you well know, but I tempered that joy with the rider that the Club had to back him. And they’ve done anything but, in my view. I am becoming very disillusioned with the Club and any ambition we had when we secured Darren, seems to have flown out the window.

Ferguson was here for quite some time remember, and in my opinion failed given the budget he had. McCann did very well, based on exactly the same budget, albeit somewhat higher by the season end based on the bonuses paid out! But he ditched us for a Championship club, how did we get that wrong? It wasn't us.

And DM is here with the same budget, which judging by your statement that the club aren't backing him doesn't hold much water.

1) McCann dropped hints that he could leave and the club still allowed him to conduct transfers .
2) the club didn’t protect its players from McCanns rhetoric of telling them that the club could get better for less .
3) Disappointment of failure in the playoffs should have been seen as greater incentive to keep what quality the club still had and not  leave it to the next manager to build again from scratch.
4) Not selling Marquis untill his replacement was brought in .etc etc etc etc...
Marquis’ replacement was lined up to be brought it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #155 on January 09, 2020, 10:24:48 pm by silent majority »
Hang on, McCann did ok with a squad of Ferguson players, plus 2 good loans. If we still had last year’s squad, I dare say we’d be top 2, with this manager.

We’ve raped and pillaged that squad and we’re still slimming it down. There must be loads in ‘the budget’, so why are we stuttering so badly? We’ve had months to prepare for this window and we, somehow, have managed to compete without a No 9. Testament to DM’s management.

Christ knows what McCann would have made of what we’re left with!

And? I'm not sure where your argument is going Alan.

You inferred we'd need another manager in the summer, how is this relevant to that?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on January 09, 2020, 10:38:52 pm by since-1969 »

Marquis’ replacement was lined up to be brought it.
Was !! That’s the word . We’re doing fine just need a little luck in that department.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #157 on January 09, 2020, 10:42:14 pm by rich1471 »
Maybe the line and pen are together and nobody can find it ,  :crying: :crying: :crying:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on January 09, 2020, 10:52:02 pm by IDM »
Is it fair to say then that Moore has a big slice of the budget still to play with?

I would expect that may be true, and we all look forward to DM getting the players he wants..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #159 on January 10, 2020, 01:10:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It’s painfully obvious we need re-inforcements, let alone the glaringly obvious need for a striker. I’d have thought that we would have signed, at least, 2 by now. But it just isn’t happening. Pressure is on GB right now.

See the problem?

We play 1 up front.

We have a superb loaned in that position.

So, anyone we sign as a forward is going to be a back-up.

That immediately rules out a whole string of loanees, because their parent club will be wanting them to get minutes on the pitch.

So we are fishing from a small pool. It's a tough one for the club. We need to cut them a bit of slack.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #160 on January 10, 2020, 07:15:26 am by dickos1 »
I don’t see ennis as a striker,
We need a number 9, a goalscorer and then let ennis compete with the other forward players such as sadlier, Taylor, etc

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #161 on January 10, 2020, 07:29:17 am by Chris Black come back »
Interesting take. With Ennis starting up front in a set formation, we have title winning form. The solution to that is to remove Ennis and try play him in the three where he has not played all season? Well, it is certainly innovative.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #162 on January 10, 2020, 07:46:11 am by dickos1 »
Let’s just see what happens when Moore gets his striker in ay?
Instead of trying to start another argument.

It’s recognised widely on here that ennis isn’t a goalscorer, but helps create space for other people.
If Moore gets the number 9 he wants then they will both be starting in my opinion with ennis just off him.
He was signed to play this role alongside Stirling

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #163 on January 10, 2020, 08:04:43 am by Alan Southstand »
Martin, I wasn’t inferring weneed a new manager, I was inferring this manager could well be another one that walks away, if we don’t back him.

And, Billy, Ennis is playing out of position (for him). The manager has made it perfectly clear he wants a No 9. Ennis would then drop into that 3 attacking midfield pool, or he could even change the system.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #164 on January 10, 2020, 08:09:02 am by Retdon1 »
Let’s just see what happens when Moore gets his striker in ay?
Instead of trying to start another argument.

It’s recognised widely on here that ennis isn’t a goalscorer, but helps create space for other people.
If Moore gets the number 9 he wants then they will both be starting in my opinion with ennis just off him.
He was signed to play this role alongside Stirling

Totally agree with this, Ennis doesn’t appear to be a natural goal scorer. He would be very good playing off a striker

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #165 on January 10, 2020, 08:13:04 am by Rovers91 »
Ennis is doing a cracking job as a lone striker and especially with his inexperience. But I think he would be extremely dangerous behind a front man. He comes across as one of those kids with his worth ethic that up front, or any role in the 3 behind he will do a job for you.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #166 on January 10, 2020, 09:01:48 am by Donnybax »
It’s painfully obvious we need re-inforcements, let alone the glaringly obvious need for a striker. I’d have thought that we would have signed, at least, 2 by now. But it just isn’t happening. Pressure is on GB right now.

See the problem?

We play 1 up front.

We have a superb loaned in that position.

So, anyone we sign as a forward is going to be a back-up.

That immediately rules out a whole string of loanees, because their parent club will be wanting them to get minutes on the pitch.

So we are fishing from a small pool. It's a tough one for the club. We need to cut them a bit of slack.
funny I think Ennis would be perfect in the wilks role from last season. I think having another recognised striker and playing ennis wider would improve us immensely. Also competition for places is no bad thing is it...

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #167 on January 10, 2020, 09:08:00 am by the vicar »
Martin, I wasn’t inferring weneed a new manager, I was inferring this manager could well be another one that walks away, if we don’t back him.

And, Billy, Ennis is playing out of position (for him). The manager has made it perfectly clear he wants a No 9. Ennis would then drop into that 3 attacking midfield pool, or he could even change the system.
why would he want to walk away, the club are backing him to what extent, and he loves being here. If another club came in waving big big bucks then I can't see it

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #168 on January 10, 2020, 09:12:52 am by Chris Black come back »
Putting all this in perspective - this isn’t Championship Manager. Ennis has never once I think played in the 3 for us so we don’t really have any evidence of how he would perform. He has though played as the lone striker in every game he has played for us and when he has, the team as a whole has delivered title winning form. We can posit about his best position - but the evidence is that when he plays up front we do well. Very well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:31:53 am by Chris Black come back »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #169 on January 10, 2020, 10:22:24 am by dickos1 »
Yes but this is because we’ve had zero alternative. He’s played for wolves off a main striker regularly and if you listen to Moore’s interview when we signed him he said he can play anywhere across the front.

He’s similar to Wilks, Wilks couldve played as a loan striker if he needed to but he was much better playing off a main striker.

Either way it’s irrelevent what we all think it’s what Moore does once he’s got his man

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #170 on January 10, 2020, 10:41:18 am by Lesonthewest »
Still not sure I understand why it’s ok for us to accept other clubs telling us to be patient but we just pass on our player straight away when we’ve no sign of a replacement

Well I can't help you then. It's obvious those  blinkers of yours don't let anything in.

[I must have blinkers on aswell then because I don't understand it either, we are, at the moment, almost down to the bare bones of a squad & still we ship out players without replacements,  & whichever way you dress it up it's concerning. The next few weeks will be interesting.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #171 on January 10, 2020, 11:14:10 am by Chris Black come back »
Yes but this is because we’ve had zero alternative. He’s played for wolves off a main striker regularly and if you listen to Moore’s interview when we signed him he said he can play anywhere across the front.

He’s similar to Wilks, Wilks couldve played as a loan striker if he needed to but he was much better playing off a main striker.

Either way it’s irrelevent what we all think it’s what Moore does once he’s got his man

Worth also remembering that Ennis has played a total of 60 seconds of first team football for Wolves, coming on as an 89th minute substitute in the FA Cup. Not too much I would suggest we can learn about his best position during his game time with Wolves.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #172 on January 10, 2020, 11:17:02 am by Jonathan »
As a point of pedantry, all our strikers will play as the loan striker.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #173 on January 10, 2020, 11:19:01 am by RugbyRover »

Worth also remembering that Ennis has played a total of 60 seconds of first team football for Wolves, coming on as an 89th minute substitute in the FA Cup. Not too much I would suggest we can learn about his best position during his game time with Wolves.

would his u23 games not be relevant?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #174 on January 10, 2020, 11:26:44 am by IDM »

Loan, or lone, or both.?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #175 on January 10, 2020, 11:28:21 am by steve@dcfd »
The more time we have to wait for any player we are planning to bring in, then there will be more competition for their services otherwise we would have them now. So will we be able to beat off that competition to get the player. Whether it’s a loan or permanent. Others have said it and I tend to agree we’ve had months to sort out players. Negotiations especially for loans should have been sorted. The club seem to take time with negotiations whether it’s getting players in or getting our players to sign new contracts. We don’t want to pay to much for any bodies services but we must be competitive if we want or keep players

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #176 on January 10, 2020, 11:33:18 am by Jonathan »

Loan, or lone, or both.?

Loan. I don’t think we have an alternative option. 

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #177 on January 10, 2020, 11:38:43 am by phil old leake »
Does anyone believe there will be any major additions to the squad. I’m starting to feel it’s a bit Groundhog Day
I wouldn’t be surprised if we add a couple of low key loans or squad players that need to get fit or up to speed that only get to start games in mid/late February.
The only positive for me (it’s a big one) is the club seems to be managed in a proper way and we shouldn’t end up like Bury

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #178 on January 10, 2020, 11:45:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Glad I've kept away from this for a little while anyway. Thanks to S_M for providing some pragmatic responses. I understand the frustration but this always stems from what we don't know and the pure guessing and speculation on what we think isn't happening.

I think it's clear from what S_M says DM is on top of this. Just because we can't see the results yet, doesn't mean we will end up short of players he wants and who he thinks can get us to where we want to be.

We've just got to chill out and not worry about what other clubs are doing. Let's not forget, we are very well placed at the moment. DM is doing a great job and I doubt he will undermine his own hard work to date.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #179 on January 10, 2020, 12:01:04 pm by dickos1 »

Do you think Moore signed him on those 60 seconds?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012