Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:33:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 40239 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #180 on January 10, 2020, 12:33:51 pm by IDM »
So at the moment, injuries etc aside, we have a strong first 11 which picks itself.

Then we have a small amount of replacements capable of coming in:

Lawlor and Jones - GK isn’t an issue.
John at CB or LB
Blair (almost fit) utility player
Gomez getting better as the season goes on
Amos LB - not much first team game time but good reports when he’s played
Watters up front, recently getting game time.

I’m not including Bingham as without joining those who slate him, I can’t see him staying..

Then we are into the other young lads who haven’t featured enough yet - the likes of Grieves, Boocock, Blaney etc..

So without over dependence upon too many young players at any one time, it’s my opinion that we would be ok with 2/3 additions - definitely a striker or two, and an attack minded MF.

Another CB/utility defender wouldn’t go amiss either.

Baptiste is a possibility if he gets fit.

Not looking too bad at all - but we do need done incomings as DM has acknowledged..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #181 on January 10, 2020, 12:43:47 pm by dickos1 »
Speaking of Blair, it was quite worrying to hear he’s not been approached yet regarding his contract expiring in the summer

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #182 on January 10, 2020, 12:51:54 pm by IDM »
Although not particularly worrying for Blair himself , according to what he says in the DFP website..

I suspect DM would see how Blair does following his recovery before initiating any contractual stuff..

He may be considering letting Blair go on the summer, we don’t know do we.?

I would like us to keep Blair but I would have to say this is not a particularly worrying scenario just now..

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on January 10, 2020, 01:01:25 pm by adamtherover »
So at the moment, injuries etc aside, we have a strong first 11 which picks itself.

John at CB or LB

I’m not including Bingham as without joining those who slate him, I can’t see him staying..

Then we are into the other young lads who haven’t featured enough yet - the likes of Grieves, Boocock, Blaney etc..

So without over dependence upon too many young players at any one time, it’s my opinion that we would be ok with 2/3 additions - definitely a striker or two, and an attack minded MF.

Not looking too bad at all - but we do need done incomings as DM has acknowledged..
last year,   week in, week out, 6 of the 7 bench lads were senior pro's, on senior pro contracts...  on tuesday, bingham was the "experienced" player.   I know this has ben done to death, but the cost saving this season compared to last, plus the sale of JM, surely must mean the kitty has a tremendous amount of 5 pound notes just sat there.....  DM has more than tried to explain,  spending the cash, getting players signed is the hard thing,  but sometimes, if it takes a couple more quid to convince someone who will get us over the line?????

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on January 10, 2020, 01:04:27 pm by SydneyRover »
I think if the answer was as simple as money then we'd have had a deal by now

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #185 on January 10, 2020, 01:12:02 pm by IDM »

John at CB or LB

last year,   week in, week out, 6 of the 7 bench lads were senior pro's, on senior pro contracts...  on tuesday, bingham was the "experienced" player.   I know this has ben done to death, but the cost saving this season compared to last, plus the sale of JM, surely must mean the kitty has a tremendous amount of 5 pound notes just sat there.....  DM has more than tried to explain,  spending the cash, getting players signed is the hard thing,  but sometimes, if it takes a couple more quid to convince someone who will get us over the line?????

You’re forgetting Lawlor..

Also Gomez, young as he is, is a regular in the first team squad.  Add Blair and John to that bench and things don’t look so bad.

But yes, there should be wage budget available to add players.  I don’t think that is in doubt really.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #186 on January 10, 2020, 01:58:52 pm by silent majority »
I think if the answer was as simple as money then we'd have had a deal by now

Of course we would, our salary levels are not a problem in this division.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on January 10, 2020, 02:05:59 pm by drfc1951 »
I may be wrong, but did I read somewhere that the Watson family were cutting back the money they put in.This was quite a while ago so as I said I could be wrong.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #188 on January 10, 2020, 02:49:36 pm by Danmckay456 »
Might be more to put in if season ticket sales drop in the summer it’s hardly encouraging new fans of old fans are having a rethink at renewing with the Russian roulette transfer policy.

Maybe Darren has to lower his transfer sights and realise we are a league one club and he’s not in the West Brom job

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on January 10, 2020, 02:50:55 pm by RoversAlias »
Speaking of Blair, it was quite worrying to hear he’s not been approached yet regarding his contract expiring in the summer

I don't think it's worrying personally. He's 30 years old, been injured all season and wasn't a starter anyway. Blair has been a squad player for a while really, it is testament to his versatility and attitude that he has contributed so much in different positions in the past two seasons.

If he comes in now and gets on a run, I suspect we'll offer him a new deal and he'll sign it. If he barely plays between now and May then the question has to be asked of whether he's worth keeping at all.

Great character, useful player...but not an indispensable player.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on January 10, 2020, 03:19:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
Quote from Dan McKay 456

Maybe Darren has to lower his transfer sights and realise we are a league one club and he’s not in the West Brom job

How far should he lower his sights Lincoln have just signed Four plays 2 loans prem 2 Championship deals. Fleetwood just signed a RB on 3.5 year deal (24 year old) from Leeds.
Oxford signed 3 on loan from Chamionship, Premiership and Dutch league.

So do we continue looking at Short term deals from National league is that our level?

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on January 10, 2020, 03:27:51 pm by Danmckay456 »
Ambition from clubs in this window we talk a good game but we don’t push the boat out it’s always stop gaps or tunnel vision

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on January 10, 2020, 04:06:45 pm by ravenrover »
Yes but this is because we’ve had zero alternative. He’s played for wolves off a main striker regularly and if you listen to Moore’s interview when we signed him he said he can play anywhere across the front.

He’s similar to Wilks, Wilks couldve played as a loan striker if he needed to but he was much better playing off a main striker.

Either way it’s irrelevent what we all think it’s what Moore does once he’s got his man
Dickos, memory must be fading Wilkes played loan striker when JM was suspended, he was terrible

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #193 on January 10, 2020, 04:21:44 pm by silent majority »
Might be more to put in if season ticket sales drop in the summer it’s hardly encouraging new fans of old fans are having a rethink at renewing with the Russian roulette transfer policy.

Season ticket sales have been on the increase for the last few seasons. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #194 on January 10, 2020, 04:24:08 pm by silent majority »
I may be wrong, but did I read somewhere that the Watson family were cutting back the money they put in.This was quite a while ago so as I said I could be wrong.

There's been no cutting back from the Watson family, if anything young Andy has been keen on supporting his Dad's position on this.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #195 on January 10, 2020, 04:54:49 pm by elmsallrover »
Good to hear

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #196 on January 10, 2020, 05:41:16 pm by Campsall rover »
With regard to Matty Blair.
If we did get promoted then for me he is surplus to requirements.
Not up to Championship standard imo.

Great bloke, team player and brilliant professional but we can’t keep players on sentiment I’m afraid.
If we are in league 1 then i would offer him a 1 yr deal. Of course he possibly would get a much better offer elsewhere and he would have to give that serious consideration.
Been a great servant for us but 3 managers have not used him consistently in his best position and i personally think that has done him no favours at all.

So to sum up, think this may be his last season at Rovers.
Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:50:56 pm by Campsall rover »

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on January 10, 2020, 06:17:38 pm by keith79 »
I also read this.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on January 10, 2020, 07:35:12 pm by Michael Shaw »
... and that suggestion is also supported by the claim that the £600,000 from cups last year and nearly £2,000,000 from the sale of Marquis nearly all went into the academy to help support the board’s aim of “a self financing club”, meaning they put less money into the club.

Of course, we also have Kiwomya drawing a salary since 16th June 2017 whilst doing little/nothing for it. Can anyone remember him actually playing?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #199 on January 10, 2020, 07:39:38 pm by vaya »
... and that suggestion is also supported by the claim that the £600,000 from cups last year and nearly £2,000,000 from the sale of Marquis nearly all went into the academy to help support the board’s aim of “a self financing club”, meaning they put less money into the club.

Of course, we also have Kiwomya drawing a salary since 16th June 2017 whilst doing little/nothing for it. Can anyone remember him actually playing?

Michael, have you ever been to a football match, or do you just regurgitate dates and figures off the internet to fit in? Genuinely intrigued.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on January 10, 2020, 07:46:45 pm by Michael Shaw »
Vvaya, what's your problem? Which statement do you have issue with?
Is it not true that the money went into a policy of self sufficiency? And has it not already been suggested that the Watson family are wanting to pay in less?
And do you think Kiwomya has been a valuable asset to the club?   

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on January 10, 2020, 07:48:54 pm by vaya »
Vvaya, what's your problem? Which statement do you have issue with?
Is it not true that the money went into a policy of self sufficiency? And has it not already been suggested that the Watson family are wanting to pay in less?
And do you think Kiwomya has been a valuable asset to the club?   

Anyway, have you ever been to a football match?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #202 on January 10, 2020, 07:50:38 pm by Barmby Rover »
Maybe if we get injuries and have to play a lot of younger players we could postpone the match with Bolton with less than 24 hours notice? Just saying!

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on January 10, 2020, 07:53:17 pm by Michael Shaw »
Of course I have been to matches, but I don't have a season ticket. But  that is all totally irrelevant. We can all follow Rovers without having to go to every match. And this is an open forum for comment not just reserved for fans with season tickets!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #204 on January 10, 2020, 07:54:01 pm by Jonathan »
Of course Kiwomya hasn’t turned out to be a success, but the situation is a very unfortunate and I don’t see what the point is in bringing it up. Who knows what might have been had he not suffered such a physically and psychologically debilitating illness.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #205 on January 10, 2020, 07:55:06 pm by vaya »
Of course I have been to matches, but I don't have a season ticket. But  that is all totally irrelevant. We can all follow Rovers without having to go to every match. And this is an open forum for comment not just reserved for fans with season tickets!

Couldn't agree more.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #206 on January 10, 2020, 07:57:42 pm by Michael Shaw »
Kiwomya has been plagued with an unfortunate series of illnesses and injuries but his salary is still coming out of the finite budget. I constantly hear criticism about players who actually play, but everyone conveniently forgets" Kiwomya is also there.

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #207 on January 10, 2020, 08:07:12 pm by scunny rover »
Micheal shaw you talk some shit ffs

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #208 on January 10, 2020, 08:08:37 pm by the vicar »

you can't complain about a lad for not playing, that had a killer complaint and is lucky to be alive let alone play football, no he is not the best or even near the best but it is out of order

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #209 on January 10, 2020, 08:08:46 pm by elmsallrover »

Season ticket sales have been on the increase for the last few seasons.
well its seriously got me and my girlfriend thinking about not renewing next season

TinyPortal © 2005-2012