Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:14:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Getting them over the line”  (Read 40227 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: “Getting them over the line”
« Reply #210 on January 10, 2020, 08:10:13 pm by IDM »
... and that suggestion is also supported by the claim that the £600,000 from cups last year and nearly £2,000,000 from the sale of Marquis nearly all went into the academy to help support the board’s aim of “a self financing club”, meaning they put less money into the club.

Of course, we also have Kiwomya drawing a salary since 16th June 2017 whilst doing little/nothing for it. Can anyone remember him actually playing?

I may be wrong, but did I read somewhere that the Watson family were cutting back the money they put in.This was quite a while ago so as I said I could be wrong.

There's been no cutting back from the Watson family, if anything young Andy has been keen on supporting his Dad's position on this.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #211 on January 10, 2020, 08:11:24 pm by IDM »
Might be more to put in if season ticket sales drop in the summer it’s hardly encouraging new fans of old fans are having a rethink at renewing with the Russian roulette transfer policy.

Maybe Darren has to lower his transfer sights and realise we are a league one club and he’s not in the West Brom job

Season ticket sales have been on the increase for the last few seasons.
well its seriously got me and my girlfriend thinking about not renewing next season

I don’t understand that at all..

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #212 on January 10, 2020, 08:21:56 pm by Pancho Regan »
Might be more to put in if season ticket sales drop in the summer it’s hardly encouraging new fans of old fans are having a rethink at renewing with the Russian roulette transfer policy.

Maybe Darren has to lower his transfer sights and realise we are a league one club and he’s not in the West Brom job

well its seriously got me and my girlfriend thinking about not renewing next season

I’m sorry Elmsall but that is very hard to understand.
Our situation at this moment should not give any true fan a reason not to renew their season tickets next season.

That’s a completely unjustified reaction in my opinion.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on January 10, 2020, 08:24:18 pm by Michael Shaw »
We are very fortunate to have backers who are prepared to put their own money into the club (approx £2m per year). Whether they want to sustain previous levels of writing off the clubs debts, I don't know, but wanting to make the club more financially self-reliant is something that I think is only reasonable on their part.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on January 10, 2020, 09:58:36 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Kiwomya has been plagued with an unfortunate series of illnesses and injuries but his salary is still coming out of the finite budget. I constantly hear criticism about players who actually play, but everyone conveniently forgets" Kiwomya is also there.
Do they? Or are they disappointed that a young man who was signed because he showed so much promise but almost immediately was struck by the a debilitating neurological condition (a condition that left a member of my family with a permanent stiffness to their leg & limp that now forces them to use a walking aid in order to get about) & as a result, has been unable to fulfill that early promise?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Alex was signed on a long contract but neither he nor the club knew what was round the corner. We’re ‘all’ disappointed Alex isn’t starring at the club, but I would hope that the majority of Rovers supporters a) are relieved a young man recovered well enough to be able to pull on a pair of football boots again, b) wish him well for the future wherever that takes him c) have more about them than to aim criticism his way.

Of course, there are always the few ignorant, abhorrent, tactless, clueless few who would use him in a pathetic effort to ‘underline’ what they perceive to be ‘a gem’ of an example on which to hinge their argument when in truth, it merely shows them & their ‘opinions’ to be vacuous.

Take a bow.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #215 on January 10, 2020, 10:04:41 pm by drfchound »
So at the moment, injuries etc aside, we have a strong first 11 which picks itself.

Then we have a small amount of replacements capable of coming in:

Lawlor and Jones - GK isn’t an issue.
John at CB or LB
Blair (almost fit) utility player
Gomez getting better as the season goes on
Amos LB - not much first team game time but good reports when he’s played
Watters up front, recently getting game time.

I’m not including Bingham as without joining those who slate him, I can’t see him staying..

Then we are into the other young lads who haven’t featured enough yet - the likes of Grieves, Boocock, Blaney etc..

So without over dependence upon too many young players at any one time, it’s my opinion that we would be ok with 2/3 additions - definitely a striker or two, and an attack minded MF.

Another CB/utility defender wouldn’t go amiss either.

Baptiste is a possibility if he gets fit.

Not looking too bad at all - but we do need done incomings as DM has acknowledged..
last year,   week in, week out, 6 of the 7 bench lads were senior pro's, on senior pro contracts...  on tuesday, bingham was the "experienced" player.   I know this has ben done to death, but the cost saving this season compared to last, plus the sale of JM, surely must mean the kitty has a tremendous amount of 5 pound notes just sat there.....  DM has more than tried to explain,  spending the cash, getting players signed is the hard thing,  but sometimes, if it takes a couple more quid to convince someone who will get us over the line?????

Adam, I don’t think you will mind my quoting your post this time.
Plenty of supporters will be thinking similarly to you.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #216 on January 10, 2020, 10:37:37 pm by silent majority »
So at the moment, injuries etc aside, we have a strong first 11 which picks itself.

John at CB or LB

I’m not including Bingham as without joining those who slate him, I can’t see him staying..

Then we are into the other young lads who haven’t featured enough yet - the likes of Grieves, Boocock, Blaney etc..

So without over dependence upon too many young players at any one time, it’s my opinion that we would be ok with 2/3 additions - definitely a striker or two, and an attack minded MF.

Not looking too bad at all - but we do need done incomings as DM has acknowledged..
last year,   week in, week out, 6 of the 7 bench lads were senior pro's, on senior pro contracts...  on tuesday, bingham was the "experienced" player.   I know this has ben done to death, but the cost saving this season compared to last, plus the sale of JM, surely must mean the kitty has a tremendous amount of 5 pound notes just sat there.....  DM has more than tried to explain,  spending the cash, getting players signed is the hard thing,  but sometimes, if it takes a couple more quid to convince someone who will get us over the line?????

Plenty might be thinking similar, but then plenty would also be thinking incorrectly as money is not the issue.

I’m not sure how many times I have to stress this.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on January 11, 2020, 09:17:36 am by Metalmicky »

John at CB or LB

Plenty might be thinking similar, but then plenty would also be thinking incorrectly as money is not the issue.

I’m not sure how many times I have to stress this.

It doesn't matter how many times you quote it SM - for some they only want the answer in their heads.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on January 11, 2020, 10:23:46 am by Padge_DRFC »
Must be paying the current squad over the odds then.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #219 on January 11, 2020, 11:00:41 am by IDM »
Or, as I expect, there is spare budget available for new players and for extended contracts.

Do you really think DM had spent up already.?

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #220 on January 14, 2020, 02:36:15 pm by Lesonthewest »
As regards to Matty Blair getting a new contract, versatile players don't grow on trees these days, he can play midfield, right back, or winger, & with a small relatively inexperienced squad outside the first eleven, he should be offered a new contract in my opinion.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on January 16, 2020, 05:28:06 pm by Jonathan »
Interestingly, DM has now publicly admitted that we have missed out on some targets in this window as they have decided to go elsewhere. This is a definite change in tact from what we previously understood to be the case.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on January 16, 2020, 05:30:39 pm by drfchound »
Maybe our wage structure isn’t as good as can be had elsewhere?
Money talks.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #223 on January 16, 2020, 05:33:51 pm by keith79 »
We must be saving up for some rite good players

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #224 on January 16, 2020, 05:37:58 pm by IDM »
He also suggests that this could be for a whole variety of reasons.. money itself might not be the issue..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #225 on January 16, 2020, 05:41:48 pm by silent majority »
It can't be salary levels at the cost of everything else.

I've said this on here a few times, if we have a budget that puts us in and around the top 6, then there are 18 clubs who are possible paying less than us. It goes with the territory, you have a small budget then you have to pay much less, its simple economics.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #226 on January 16, 2020, 05:45:29 pm by Rovers91 »
Something isn't right for us to be struggling to get the players in during the last window and this window now as well. Next summer is going to be a rate time again when all loan players go back to their parent clubs.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #227 on January 16, 2020, 05:48:02 pm by firestarter »
Trying not to be pessimistic.. but struggling

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #228 on January 16, 2020, 05:52:24 pm by drfchound »

I've said this on here a few times, if we have a budget that puts us in and around the top 6, then there are 18 clubs who are possible paying less than us. It goes with the territory, you have a small budget then you have to pay much less, its simple economics.

But wouldn’t the number of players on the books be relevant too.
A pot of money divided by 18 pays more per man than the same pot divided between say 22 players.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:55:29 pm by drfchound »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #229 on January 16, 2020, 05:54:15 pm by Chris Black come back »
Anderson and Whiteman are top, top players at this level. We would I imagine have had to stuff their pockets to get them to stay here.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #230 on January 16, 2020, 05:57:02 pm by steve@dcfd »
Interestingly, DM has now publicly admitted that we have missed out on some targets in this window as they have decided to go elsewhere. This is a definite change in tact from what we previously understood to be the case.
I wonder if these were loans or permanent players?
If loans I wonder if we have 4 already so the players might think they won’t be guaranteed to play every week.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #231 on January 16, 2020, 06:00:33 pm by RugbyRover »
DM must have a bonus written into his contract.

Something along the lines of "the less we spend, the more I get"

or maybe that's GB's contract.  :unsure:

or maybe Copps is sitting pretty and taking home half the budget himself. He is worth it.  :)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on January 16, 2020, 06:02:26 pm by silent majority »

But wouldn’t the number of players on the books be relevant too.
A pot of money divided by 18 pays more per man than the same pot divided between say 22 players.

Yes of course, but seeing as we have a, relatively, small squad that means we can pay more. Which totally contradicts everybody's argument on here.

And as has been stated by the club more than once, we believe in quality over quantity.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #233 on January 16, 2020, 06:03:08 pm by silent majority »
DM must have a bonus written into his contract.

Something along the lines of "the less we spend, the more I get"

or maybe that's GB's contract.  :unsure:

or maybe Copps is sitting pretty and taking home half the budget himself. He is worth it.  :)

Again, how can this be possible? The accounts speak for themselves.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #234 on January 16, 2020, 06:15:59 pm by Copps is Magic »
The wage budget is obviously quite average for this league. Its not a criticism, that's just the way it is. Theres been several transfers fall through now because of it.

Makes you wonder why the club are targeting unrealistic signings in the first place.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #235 on January 16, 2020, 06:21:57 pm by firestarter »
Good point CIM.. if we are able to pay a decent wage why are said targets appearing to want to go elsewhere ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #236 on January 16, 2020, 06:23:03 pm by IDM »
That’s assuming wages are the issue but we have nothing to say that is he case - apart from ran opinions and deductions..

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on January 16, 2020, 06:26:00 pm by firestarter »
Well SM has mentioned that we can pay so it would be interesting to know the reasons some players appear not to want to come

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #238 on January 16, 2020, 06:31:51 pm by adamtherover »

why, we could go one point of top as it stands, approaching the end of jan if we played the 2 catchup games next.  We don't currently have strength in depth, but it's not exactly holding us back is it. 

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on January 16, 2020, 06:32:46 pm by keith79 »
Who does the negotiations with players at rovers?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012