Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:53:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Martin Woods  (Read 11047 times)

weststander

• VSC Member
Martin Woods
« on September 04, 2012, 06:32:24 am by weststander »
Daily Mail reports Ipswich and Wednesday are looking at him, saying he is available on loan

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovin Reporter

Re: Martin Woods
« Reply #1 on September 04, 2012, 07:45:14 am by Rovin Reporter »
 We really are on our arse where money is concerned if this is true.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 04, 2012, 10:37:04 am by albie »
Reported here as well as in the Mail, could be just paper talk;
http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/21408/blues-and-owls-linked-with-doncaster-midfielder?

Another high earner for the fire sale I guess, nobody is likely to buy with his recent injury record, so loan out is the only way to reduce the liability.

Swings and roundabouts, it's all go eh!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 04, 2012, 10:40:39 am by MrFrost »
I'm betting Saunders can bring in 5 or 6 players if Woods leaves.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 04, 2012, 10:43:14 am by Wellred »
I'm betting Saunders can bring in 5 or 6 players if Woods leaves.

Shame we couldn't send you out on loan somewhere. The forum might get a hundred or so new or returning posters we could manage that.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 04, 2012, 10:49:35 am by mushRTID »
Agree with Mr Frost with Coppinger and Woods out on loan surely thats going to be around 12-13k a week saved?

Sign 4 or 5 of Deans targets with that and surely nobody can complain.

The worry is his injury record. He goes + new signings + he returns injured = panic again!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 04, 2012, 10:55:22 am by dickos1 »
Woods will be our highest earner now and he was our worst player on sat, if we can get someone to take him off our hands that'd be a great bit of business.
But I don't think it's any coincidence he is probably the only one of the high earners still with us. We'll struggle to get rid.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 04, 2012, 10:59:55 am by PaulRover08 »
Woods will be our highest earner now and he was our worst player on sat, if we can get someone to take him off our hands that'd be a great bit of business.
But I don't think it's any coincidence he is probably the only one of the high earners still with us. We'll struggle to get rid.

Surely Martis is on a fair whack though. Probably just him, Woods and maybe Sullivan??

Anyway, if anyone wants M. Woods on loan then rest assured he will be a great player for you. He runs about all over the place, gets his foot in, plays incisive passes all the time, never randomly kicks it out of play, always beats the first man at corners, scores from virtually every free kick he takes and never gets injured... Just don't come and watch him first before putting a bid in.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 04, 2012, 11:05:41 am by silent majority »

Surely Martis is on a fair whack though. Probably just him, Woods and maybe Sullivan??

Anyway, if anyone wants M. Woods on loan then rest assured he will be a great player for you. He runs about all over the place, gets his foot in, plays incisive passes all the time, never randomly kicks it out of play, always beats the first man at corners, scores from virtually every free kick he takes and never gets injured... Just don't come and watch him first before putting a bid in.

But they need to get Martis match fit first, he wouldn't pass a fitness test currently, which was the same situation with Woods not too far back.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 04, 2012, 12:22:18 pm by scuzzer »

That's the Martin Woods i see at games too, of all the departures this really would be no loss, when was the last significant positive contribution he made?!

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 04, 2012, 12:27:34 pm by Jimmydee »
Scuzzer, I think it was the game where he scored a blinder and it curled into the top of the net, I think that it was for Rotherham against us.
He still dines out on that goal.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 04, 2012, 12:32:28 pm by scuzzer »
Exactly Jimmydee, he scored a decent goal at Forest coming up for 4 years ago, since then next to nowt other than exasperation has come from his left boot. Cheerio, onwards and upwards hopefully! Maybe this should be put in the rumour mill so Jewell and Jones aren't alerted to his talents!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 04, 2012, 01:19:55 pm by RoversAlias »
I seem to remember he scored a good goal in a game against Blackpool too, but absolutely right he is overrated in some quarters and does not seem to be someone who is an integral part of the team. Indeed he has been a hinderance in most games this season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 04, 2012, 01:55:25 pm by steve@dcfd »
Agree with Mr Frost with Coppinger and Woods out on loan surely thats going to be around 12-13k a week saved?

Sign 4 or 5 of Deans targets with that and surely nobody can complain.

The worry is his injury record. He goes + new signings + he returns injured = panic again!!

How does he sign anybody unless they are free agents. He won't be signing 4 or 5 players any way. We can have loans from Friday yet they really won't be Deans players just like last year.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 04, 2012, 02:42:11 pm by danumdon »
I think your all being very hard on the lad, this is a player who has missed the best part of the last two years through injury, does he not get a chance to find his feet and build up his match fitness before we all condemn him?

I remember how he struggled to get into our side early in his tenure, we ended up loaning him out (to Yeovil) and he managed to play his way into form in such a manner that come the next season he was not only one of the first manes on the team sheet but also captain!

Do we not think that this is a very similar situation and given a fair chance to rediscover his fitness and form that a player like Woods can be a massive positive for us in this league.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 04, 2012, 05:15:19 pm by bobbymax »
I think your all being very hard on the lad, this is a player who has missed the best part of the last two years through injury, does he not get a chance to find his feet and build up his match fitness before we all condemn him?

I remember how he struggled to get into our side early in his tenure, we ended up loaning him out (to Yeovil) and he managed to play his way into form in such a manner that come the next season he was not only one of the first manes on the team sheet but also captain!

Do we not think that this is a very similar situation and given a fair chance to rediscover his fitness and form that a player like Woods can be a massive positive for us in this league.

I've been saying the same myself since day one. A lot of people have no concept how long it takes for a player to regain fitness after such a long time inactive. Woods worked right through the summer to get back playing football and deserves time to make his mark.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 04, 2012, 06:50:32 pm by podrover73 »
absolute show pony - would let him go in a flash :chair:

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 04, 2012, 06:56:06 pm by PaulRover08 »

I've been saying the same myself since day one. A lot of people have no concept how long it takes for a player to regain fitness after such a long time inactive. Woods worked right through the summer to get back playing football and deserves time to make his mark.

My view on him being absolutely useless is not a new one. I thought this before his injuries. When Preston were in for him, the rumour was £500k or something like that. I would have drove him there for half that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 04, 2012, 06:58:44 pm by dickos1 »
Why won't loan players be deans players?? That's like saying mills, sharp, shackell, ward weren't sods players

dumbroofer

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 04, 2012, 08:27:49 pm by dumbroofer »
Why won't loan players be deans players?? That's like saying mills, sharp, shackell, ward weren't sods players

so after all this time the loan lot last season were ds players after all........

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 04, 2012, 08:29:13 pm by RedJ »

so after all this time the loan lot last season were ds players after all........

well last season we had no real other option..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 04, 2012, 09:10:16 pm by steve@dcfd »

But they were not Dean players Dicko said so last season. Strange that.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 04, 2012, 10:16:19 pm by Donnyjim »
Woods is an injured crock of shit in my opinion, who should have been off the wage bill along time ago. He must be far and away the poorest value for money player at the club. I agree whole with the plethora of the other posts have eluded to the fact that we could get a couple of players in for woods. This would present a much better value for money for the club in these austere times.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 04, 2012, 10:30:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
totally disagree with you there donnyjim. to say woods is a "crock of shit" is way off the mark. he will do us well in this division if we keep hold of him

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 04, 2012, 10:51:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
Woods is an injured crock of shit in my opinion, who should have been off the wage bill along time ago. He must be far and away the poorest value for money player at the club. I agree whole with the plethora of the other posts have eluded to the fact that we could get a couple of players in for woods. This would present a much better value for money for the club in these austere times.

Many would argue that Martis holds the title of "poorest value player at the club". Woods is a mere pretender when it comes to stealing a living from Rovers.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 04, 2012, 11:06:31 pm by StocktonRover »
I'm sorry to say that I find threads like this one very tedious and dissapointing.
The constant attacking and sniping at our own players adds nothing of value and can only be counter productive to the forum and the club we all supposedly support.
Neither Woods or Martis have chosen to be injured and I'm fairly certain that they would have preferred not to have been injured.

Every person is entitled to their opinion and are free to express it, but certain individuals should hang their heads in shame at their incessant digging at players for their own agenda.

Rant over

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 04, 2012, 11:26:47 pm by Barmby Rover »
absolute show pony - would let him go in a flash :chair:

You mean he can actually play football rather than justy boot it anywhere into the opposition half in the hope that somebidy gets on the end of it. Definitely a "show pony " then, hope he gets a half decent team to play for.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 05, 2012, 12:03:04 am by dickos1 »
Barmby, we certainly didn't hoof it on Saturday and Saunders was screaming at woods to get on the ball but he was just hiding, maybe it's a confidence thing but it's certainly not tactics. As was proven when harper came on as he had more touches in half an hour than woods did in the previous hour.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 05, 2012, 12:13:14 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I Know we all think we are a pub team,but it's not pub standard football,the fella has been out injured for a long time,performances don't just snap back into place,it's not Roy of the Rovers,this is the real world,i just think some of our supporters have latched onto Martin as the new target for stick,no player is above criticism,but i do think he has good ability at this level,a bit of patience is all that's needed,just like with the rest of the team :scarf:

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 05, 2012, 01:19:49 am by MachoMadness »
Would much rather we got shot of him than Coppinger. Still gutted that Copps had to leave. Shows flashes of quality but by far one of the most inconsistent players I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. Doesn't help that his set piece delivery is about 1:10 ratio of decent deliveries to shit ones.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012