Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:08:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Martin Woods  (Read 11045 times)

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
Re: Martin Woods
« Reply #30 on September 05, 2012, 01:33:54 am by Alan_Rovers »
I'd be even more delighted if Martin Woods left us than I was when Coppinger left us last week.

Copps could have a really good game every now and then but lacked consistency. Martin Woods just lacks the ability to have a good game at all.

Apart from Martis, Martin Woods is our worst value for money (wages) player that we have.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 05, 2012, 02:14:41 am by Sammy Chung was King »
As much as i admire the player he was Neil Sullivan and Shelton Martis tie for that dubious honour,because neither plays games any more,Martin Wood's being off form will show up more because he tries passes that the rest of his team mates wouldn't attempt,if he did go and we could get three or four players in all well and good,but when he does get his form back,he will be a major asset for us,he could be the difference between finishing bottom half and edge of the play-offs :scarf:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 05, 2012, 02:47:25 am by RoversAlias »
I hope you're right SCWK but I fear we will still be saying "when he gets his form back" about Woods in March.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 05, 2012, 06:36:08 am by Chris Black come back »
NASA estimate that his penalty away at Newcastle in October 2009 is due to land back on earth some time early in 2013.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 05, 2012, 07:35:59 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Woods is an injured crock of shit in my opinion, who should have been off the wage bill along time ago. He must be far and away the poorest value for money player at the club. I agree whole with the plethora of the other posts have eluded to the fact that we could get a couple of players in for woods. This would present a much better value for money for the club in these austere times.

Quite clearly you dont know anything about football if you think that.

Seems only mins ago we were celebrating the return of a player that was one of main reasons we stopped in Championship in the 2nd season, when he and Oster formed a great partnership in absence of stock and now people come out with crap like this.

My belief is Syers / Woods does not work in the centre merely as their skill sets dont compliment each other but that down to Saunders to sort.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 05, 2012, 09:44:00 am by wilts rover »
Following on from the 'muppet incident' at Yeovil, this thread reminds me how pathetic some of our 'fans' are. How quick some people are to forget that Martin Woods was top of the Opta stats for the Championship when he was injured in 2010. He has been consistently one of our top performers for goal assists, go check the stats, and I have always thought that more than any other player, when he has a good game, we generally win. Its no coincidence to me that our bad run under Sean started when he was injured - and stayed that way as long as he was out. I cant find any current stats for tackles made, but he is the player with the most fouls - which shows he does get stuck in and not shirks a tackle.

I dont believe he has been played in his best position, he has always seemed more effective when he is running at defenders with the ball and getting it into th box, something that Bennett, Cotterill and Syers all seemed incapable of on Saturday. And whoever put that we didnt play long ball, you weren't watching the same game as me, after 20 minutes it was all passing across the back for 5 minutes then hoof to Brown, like a bad O'Driscoll team, Bennett, Cotterill, Syers and Paynter were the ones hiding and not wanting the ball. When Harper came on is when Yeovil had the greater share of possession.

Good luck to the boy if he does go somewhere else, who's going to be the next target?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 05, 2012, 10:57:05 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Following on from the 'muppet incident' at Yeovil, this thread reminds me how pathetic some of our 'fans' are. How quick some people are to forget that Martin Woods was top of the Opta stats for the Championship when he was injured in 2010. He has been consistently one of our top performers for goal assists, go check the stats, and I have always thought that more than any other player, when he has a good game, we generally win. Its no coincidence to me that our bad run under Sean started when he was injured - and stayed that way as long as he was out. I cant find any current stats for tackles made, but he is the player with the most fouls - which shows he does get stuck in and not shirks a tackle.

I dont believe he has been played in his best position, he has always seemed more effective when he is running at defenders with the ball and getting it into th box, something that Bennett, Cotterill and Syers all seemed incapable of on Saturday. And whoever put that we didnt play long ball, you weren't watching the same game as me, after 20 minutes it was all passing across the back for 5 minutes then hoof to Brown, like a bad O'Driscoll team, Bennett, Cotterill, Syers and Paynter were the ones hiding and not wanting the ball. When Harper came on is when Yeovil had the greater share of possession.

Good luck to the boy if he does go somewhere else, who's going to be the next target?

Mate good post.

Too be honest think Martin Woods is least of our problems....

What we need is a competent GK to start with

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 05, 2012, 12:41:47 pm by scuzzer »

Mate good post.

Don't start picking on our players now Norfolk!! He's doing his best and while he's got a DRFC shirt on i'll comletely ignore his shortcomings and blindly support him - as we disappear down the toilet!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 05, 2012, 01:40:05 pm by ravenrover »
Purely being nosey but at what level are you playing? Who for? What position? What age group?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 05, 2012, 01:47:06 pm by vaya »
Purely being nosey but at what level are you playing? Who for? What position? What age group?

You are Willie McKay.

I claim my five pounds

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 05, 2012, 03:45:24 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Mate good post.

Don't start picking on our players now Norfolk!! He's doing his best and while he's got a DRFC shirt on i'll comletely ignore his shortcomings and blindly support him - as we disappear down the toilet!

Sadly he has so many and this could be Saunders down fall that he hasnt sorted this out

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 05, 2012, 04:31:05 pm by RedJ »
Woods is an injured crock of shit in my opinion, who should have been off the wage bill along time ago. He must be far and away the poorest value for money player at the club. I agree whole with the plethora of the other posts have eluded to the fact that we could get a couple of players in for woods. This would present a much better value for money for the club in these austere times.

Seems only mins ago we were celebrating the return of a player that was one of main reasons we stopped in Championship in the 2nd season, when he and Oster formed a great partnership in absence of stock and now people come out with crap like this.

My belief is Syers / Woods does not work in the centre merely as their skill sets dont compliment each other but that down to Saunders to sort.

So basically we're going on past merits here, which is pretty ironic coming from the guy who said consistently that Hayter dined out on the Wembley goal for 4 seasons.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 05, 2012, 05:07:09 pm by ravenrover »

You are Willie McKay.

I claim my five pounds

Wrong! but I might be able to get you on MY subs bench for the Colchester game, pop down to Cantley with your boots. Loveleeeee.  :thumbsup:

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 05, 2012, 08:57:23 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Following on from the 'muppet incident' at Yeovil, this thread reminds me how pathetic some of our 'fans' are.

Are you another one who thinks you are the best fan ever?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 05, 2012, 09:43:19 pm by wilts rover »
Following on from the 'muppet incident' at Yeovil, this thread reminds me how pathetic some of our 'fans' are.

Are you another one who thinks you are the best fan ever?

No.....but you are one of the people I am talking about......

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 05, 2012, 09:44:16 pm by Alan_Rovers »
Really!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 05, 2012, 09:53:45 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Mate good post.

I don't think either Gary or Martin Woods have done that badly.  At Yeovil Woods made some good tackles and Gary made some good saves.  In fact Gary Woods has improved IMO this season.  Still a long way to go but he's getting there.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 05, 2012, 11:01:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
Gary Woods has certainly improved on last season but it is a low baseline and he is there only because we cannot afford to sign any real competition. But he is there though at the moment and doing ok.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 06, 2012, 01:25:25 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I've got to admit Norfolk,the Woods and Syers partnership doesn't seem to work,Syers seems more effective when he's released to do the attacking,usually when someone like Harper comes into the holding role,especially away from home,i would play him wide left,we would be a bit more solid than playing two wingers,either that or put the extra man in midfield,let Harper do the mopping up role,Syers bomb on,and Woods a bit of both,i think with the players we have,it would suit us at home to play the two wingers supporting one man up front,with Syers coming late into the box,i know 4-5-1 sounds negative,but it doesn't need to be with the forward thinking players we have,these are the side's i would play home and away-

HOME                          Woods

Quinn                                      Spurr

Jones         McCombe/Martis if fit

Bennett              Harper              Cotterill

M.Woods

Syers

Brown       

AWAY                               Woods

Quinn                                   Spurr

Jones        Martis/McCombe

Cotterill       Harper        Keegan  M.Woods

Syers

Brown

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 06, 2012, 09:57:13 am by Norfolk N Chance »

So basically we're going on past merits here, which is pretty ironic coming from the guy who said consistently that Hayter dined out on the Wembley goal for 4 seasons.

Can you not read ? Coming on here and having a go for no reason .....

I said it down to Saunders not putting him with someone that compliments his style!

Sayers I feel is too attacking...

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 06, 2012, 12:19:08 pm by scuzzer »

Can you not read ? Coming on here and having a go for no reason .....

I said it down to Saunders not putting him with someone that compliments his style!

Sayers I feel is too attacking...

Leo Sayers??

I actually agree with a couple of others on here, Woods has looked a little better this year from what i've seen, i'd be tempted to leave him be for now and see how he develops.

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 06, 2012, 02:04:48 pm by Jimmydee »
That penalty miss at Newcastle saved the bookies from paying out a small fortune to Me that day, I still haven't forgiven Woods for that.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 07, 2012, 11:51:04 pm by RobTheRover »
I'm sorry to say that I find threads like this one very tedious and dissapointing.
The constant attacking and sniping at our own players adds nothing of value and can only be counter productive to the forum and the club we all supposedly support.
Neither Woods or Martis have chosen to be injured and I'm fairly certain that they would have preferred not to have been injured.

Every person is entitled to their opinion and are free to express it, but certain individuals should hang their heads in shame at their incessant digging at players for their own agenda.

Rant over

+1

Look up definition of supporter everyone before you character assassinate one of the few players we have on the books.

If you dont think he played well, then give constructive criticism.  Some of the crass, thoughtless posts in this thread really go too far.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 08, 2012, 12:32:14 am by Viking Don »
But some of the posters we have have played at the highest level and understand every aspect of the game, from polishing boots to knowing which way to turn screw in studs. Surely these folk are entitled to have a pop at so-called professional footballers who err get paid, for err, playing a game.

Woods has done evrything he's been asked to do so far this season as far as I can judge, maybe not his best position but he's the best option we have for the role DS wants. Who exactly do some posters thing we're going to get to replace him, in league1? Dreamers.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 09, 2012, 03:53:23 pm by Al4475 »
DANUM DON
"Do we not think that this is a very similar situation and given a fair chance to rediscover his fitness and form that a player like Woods can be a massive positive for us in this league."

Nope - we need a scapegoat! LOL - It's the rules! Haha! :P

TinyPortal © 2005-2012