Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:08:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: John oster is alive  (Read 6638 times)

The Beast

• Forum Member
Re: John oster is alive
« Reply #30 on September 08, 2012, 07:36:50 pm by The Beast »
If you're playing possession football Oster is top class, if you're hitting the channels and attacking the second ball Oster doesn't want to know and I don't blame him. Put him in the Forest side and I'm sure he'd do well, put him in the Aldershot team he'll struggle. Admittedly he didn't pull any trees up last season but who did? the likes of Hird and Hayter were awful, even though some on here rave about them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 09, 2012, 10:12:13 am by DRFCSouth »
Its a shame he's ended up at Barnet. He could have done a job for us. Maybe he was on a hefty wage, I would imagine the majority of the championship squad were. On his day and when everything was going well he was fantastic with superb vision. However, when things were going wrong for the team he seemed to go missing. If somebody had got hold of him and was able to keep his mindset right, he would have been outstanding. One of the most creative midfielders we have had in recent years on his day, there is a reason why a lot of Premier and Championship teams have signed him. Good luck to him.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 09, 2012, 10:24:21 am by Filo »
I think Oster was probably one of those that SOD referred to when he said that a few players were in the comfort zone, when the team is playing well he`s one of those players that stands out and catches the eye, on the other side though, when the team a struggling he looks awful and goes missing in games, a comfort player that shy`s away from a battle, a shame really because he`s got talent

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 09, 2012, 10:29:53 am by DRFCSouth »
I'm with you on that one. Maybe it was a failing of Sean, but then Oster's career has been blighted with the same form. Maybe some players just can't change. All being said, he did a job for us and it was good to see him on a good day.

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 09, 2012, 09:03:40 pm by ferribyrover »
It's all about opinions, so here goes...JO had some, but not enough, good games for Rovers, and was frankly awful last season.
Amazing how many ex Rovers find themselves in the Championship now...O'Connor, Roberts, Mills, Friend, Coppinger, Stock, Gillet, Green, Wellens, Sharp even El Hadj, but noticably no Championship clubs wanted JO or our goalkeepers!

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 09, 2012, 09:21:36 pm by DRFCSouth »
I think Osters age was against him getting another championship move. He was a gamble for us when we got him as he had come from Palace on the back of a couple of good seasons. I did wonder what he would bring at the time. Luckily we got a couple of decent seasons from him.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 10, 2012, 12:04:31 am by The Beast »
It's all about opinions, so here goes...JO had some, but not enough, good games for Rovers, and was frankly awful last season.
Amazing how many ex Rovers find themselves in the Championship now...O'Connor, Roberts, Mills, Friend, Coppinger, Stock, Gillet, Green, Wellens, Sharp even El Hadj, but noticably no Championship clubs wanted JO or our goalkeepers!

Even El Hadj, even though he's the most talented player in that list by far!
Obviously an age thing with Oster as he's played nearly all his career in the top two divisions. For me watching Rovers for a quarter of a century, the second best midfielder I've seen behind Richie Wellens.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 10, 2012, 09:38:32 am by Mr1Croft »
Oster has always been a winger, that was where he was comfortable and that was where he was most suited to. However for some reason (perhaps he lost the pace he once had) he started playing in the centre of the park, despite having one decent game here in 2011 it was forever onwards that he would go on to play there. The exact same thing is happening to M.Woods, I no longer believe it is the player who scored that stunning goal after cutting in from the wing for Rotherham past us in 2007.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 10, 2012, 10:26:48 am by 5minstogo »
Oster has always been a winger, that was where he was comfortable and that was where he was most suited to. However for some reason (perhaps he lost the pace he once had) he started playing in the centre of the park, despite having one decent game here in 2011 it was forever onwards that he would go on to play there. The exact same thing is happening to M.Woods, I no longer believe it is the player who scored that stunning goal after cutting in from the wing for Rotherham past us in 2007.

If you ask him he will say he's never been a winger.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 10, 2012, 10:30:14 am by NickDRFC »

Not sure I agree with any of that. Oster may have been a winger prior to joining us, but he has almost always played in midfield for us, usually central, and was very successful with that for a lot of his time here. Same with Martin Woods - I'm not sure he's ever played as a winger for us in the sense that Coppinger/McIndoe played on the wing.

I think Oster was a very good player for us at times, but with a better attitude could have been outstanding. He was poor last year, but as others have said, who wasn't?
You have to bear in mind that he's getting on a bit which is probably why he's dropped down a level, plus getting a deal in London might fit in with the lifestyle he's after!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 11, 2012, 01:53:46 am by Sammy Chung was King »
The BBC Have commissioned a new nature programme starting on saturday at 3pm it's called   wait for it-''OSTER WATCH'' :laugh:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012