Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:29:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paralympics.................  (Read 3913 times)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Paralympics.................
« on September 07, 2012, 11:58:06 am by hoolahoop »
Posted on here to get noticed (judging by the lack of replies to the thread off topic)

Well done so far to all the Paralympians and I hope some just might  be watching what human beings can achieve. Sadly the thread on 'lost keys in Bentley' merited far more replies than the efforts of our fellow countrymen/women. Sad very sad.  :( :chair:

Mods please leave this on here before chucking it away to the 'off topic' section never to be seen again.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

shaz27drfc

• Forum Member
Re: Paralympics.................
« Reply #1 on September 07, 2012, 12:07:25 pm by shaz27drfc »
They have been amazing

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 07, 2012, 12:10:46 pm by hoolahoop »
They have been amazing

A credit to these Islands..........thanks shaz :)

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 07, 2012, 12:38:16 pm by deebee »
I have to agree, I have enjoyed these far more than the able bodied games. It puts all our gripes into perspective. To see these talented people over coming their disabilities and achieving things that most of us can't is staggering. 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 07, 2012, 12:40:58 pm by wilts rover »
Yes what a fantastic feats of sporting achievement they have put on for us, it has been just as thrilling and fun as the 'other' Olympics, in some cases even more so, wheelchair basketball is a hell of a lot more interesting than ordinary basketball anyday.

My personal favourites have been Sarah Storey, who yesterday not only won the women's road race by an incredible margin - but rode past all the men who had started 2 minutes earlier and beat them too! She now has more gold than your average rap star. And Helen Christiansen, the girl with cerbal palsey who won the dressage and was jumping up and down on the podium.

Well done to all the team, fantastic athletes and role model who have shown to the world that disability does not stop you having ability.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 07, 2012, 12:55:00 pm by godlike1 »
They have certainly shown what it is possible to achieve in life when you put your mind to it.

There are people in our country that need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I have been left extreamly impressed by how well the country has supported these games and think the two events have both advocated why we should have bid for the games and held them. Despite all the fears and scare mongering we have shown how we are one of if not the best country in the world to organise and hold the biggest sporting competitions in the world

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 07, 2012, 12:58:06 pm by RobTheRover »
Exactly.  A bit tongue in cheek (Ok, a lot tongue in cheek), my mate sent me a joke yesterday

"Loving the paralympics.  One thing I dont understand though.  If they can run faster than me, swim faster than me, jump further than me and throw further than me, why do they need to park closer to the Asda doors than me?"

My reply, because you are a lazy b*stard and these inspirational people dont mind putting the work in.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 07, 2012, 02:41:48 pm by Wellred »
Agreed 100% our athletes have been amazing. That 100 metres last night will live long in the memory.
As for the parking. Isn't it strange that the cars usually parked in the disabled bays with no badges are usually 4x4's with big fat b******s driving them.

Should all be clamped. We are too bloody soft.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 07, 2012, 05:16:48 pm by Pintolager »
I haven't watched as much of the Paralympics as I would have liked but from what I have seen, they have been amazing - including the blind runners and the swimmers with no legs to name a few. Truely inspirational and a lesson for us all.

I wonder how these games will change people's perceptions of the disabled? Not only in sport, but everyday life? People only want to concentrate on the negatives and not focus on the positives!!

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 07, 2012, 05:31:33 pm by firestarter »
Truly amazing..each and every one and has prompted me to add a little aside. If anyone on here is or knows of anybody with cerebral palsy who would to participate in football with other CP affected kids then please get in touch. CP sports regularly arrange development days which are fantastic days. My lad "Ollie the legend" on here participates and am sure he will agree on how great the events are. Either message me or call me on 07810838736 if interested.....thanks all.

MartinB

« Reply #10 on September 07, 2012, 05:33:26 pm by MartinB »
NO coverage of the Paralympics at all in Canada, only of the opening ceremony.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 07, 2012, 05:47:50 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Blind 5-a-side has been astonishing.

Wheelchair basketball, I find more entertaining than basketball as far less attacks result in baskets.  Far less predictable so far more entertaining.

With all it's inspiring not just because of what they overcome but also the way that they compete against one another.  Very rarely do you see bad sportsmanship just the pleasure of competing and jubilation of winning.  There's lots to learn there for many sports but football in particular.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 07, 2012, 06:20:25 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Echo many of the above comments and has changed my perception having felt 'uncomfortable' in watching in the past.

The classification system is interesting and you could perhaps apply them to our beloved able bodied footballers....weak on the left side, lacks pace over 5 yards etc., etc.

Overall though, very enlightening and some very watchable games. Loved the basketball and the wheelchair rugby. The latter could become a TV event which seems to be a cross between Rugby, American Football and Robot Wars !!

Watching 22 ill prepared fairies running around a football pitch is becoming less and less attractive. How can I get excited about watching the likes and Lampard, Gerard and Milner represent our fine country when we've just had nearly 2 months of the greatest sporting spectacles we've ever seen ??

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 07, 2012, 07:16:16 pm by MachoMadness »
Simon Pegg said it best... these games make you realise how stupid the term 'disabled' is. Great effort from all involved.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 08, 2012, 12:11:10 am by DC- »
Love the Paralympics. Always amazes me to see the times some of these guys/gals can make. I'm sure it won't be long before we're seeing more Paralympians at the Olympics.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 08, 2012, 03:36:54 am by RoversAlias »
People like Alex Zanardi genuinely make me feel as though anything is possible. Simply amazing.

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 09, 2012, 10:18:25 am by DRFCSouth »
It's just a shame its all over. This summer has been a blessing with the amount of sport! I have to wait 4 years for this again.  :facepalm:

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 09, 2012, 01:18:44 pm by 1879Rovers »
Last Sunday I went to the final day of the rowing at Eton Dorney in the morning and then onto the Olympic stadium in the evening. Having been to sporting events all over the world I have never heard an atmosphere like it and London is a totally different place. Everyone being polite, seats on tubes, happy smiling faces both public and police. I hope it carries on after they finish today but I can't see it.

I have enjoyed watching it all and being present to see David Weir win his first gold medal last sunday it was great to just see him make it four gold medals a few minutes ago on the TV in the marathon.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 09, 2012, 01:46:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Ibs Diallo from the 7-a-side Football. Worth a punt?

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 09, 2012, 02:40:24 pm by 1879Rovers »

He's got good quality. His story is quite scary. He went for trials with the England college squad and when they gave him a medical they found out he'd got cerebral Palsy.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 09, 2012, 03:33:39 pm by goalkick »
No coverage in america

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 09, 2012, 04:05:13 pm by DonnyOsmond »

He's got good quality. His story is quite scary. He went for trials with the England college squad and when they gave him a medical they found out he'd got cerebral Palsy.

It's only mild though so he's able to play for both the College squad and the Paralympics squad.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #22 on September 10, 2012, 02:43:15 pm by GM-MarkB »
To me they're just simply Elite Athletes who's achievements rank alongside their 'able bodied' counterparts. How we can't class them as able bodied too is beyond me. They are competing is pretty much all the same sports as the other Olympics to the same high degree.

Just watching the parade now makes me so proud that our little island gave the World the greatest Summer of Sport ever

GM-MarkB

« Reply #23 on September 10, 2012, 03:58:17 pm by GM-MarkB »
Helen Skelton.... :thumbsup:

Short skirt + Windy day = MMMMMMMMM
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:11:27 pm by GM-MarkB »

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 10, 2012, 04:00:00 pm by graingrover »
very thin coverage in Continental Europe ( we get all the channels in Belgium) on TV and it makes you realise what a powerful influence good media coverage is on one level but then how do you explain the fact that there was a MASSIVE public attendance at all venues too. I felt proud as a Brit but felt a huge gap of understanding and acceptance here.I think GB has learned a new dimension of how to 'be' .

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 10, 2012, 06:26:58 pm by newyankee »
Just to repeat what someone else said, there has been NO coverage over here in the States, I don't think they like to push people with disabilities, either in reality or figuratively speaking.
  I know when I came over here, they all thought the British lived in castles and had butlers, in the same way we were led to beleive, until Ironside, that no one in the States was handicappeed, it is a pity, but hopefully they will change before the next paralympics.

What I saw on Sky Sports News ( Fox Soccer Channel) were tremendous and handicapped people and the British sporting public for what they both are, GREAT.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #26 on September 10, 2012, 07:02:23 pm by GM-MarkB »
USA won 98 medals...you'd think they'd take some pride in that wouldn't you ?

Pretty shameful really

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on September 10, 2012, 09:47:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
1966 is a magic number. I've waited a long long time for something else as magical to come along.

2012 will also become a magic number.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 11, 2012, 07:35:29 am by Standanista »
Yes what a fantastic feats of sporting achievement they have put on for us, it has been just as thrilling and fun as the 'other' Olympics, in some cases even more so, wheelchair basketball is a hell of a lot more interesting than ordinary basketball anyday.
Something I've been trying to tell anybody willing to listen since Sydney 2000. :)  Wheelie basketball is an awesome sport, far more physical than regular BB, and is open to able-bodied players as well as those with a disability (albeit not at Paralympic/international level but certainly at most levels below that).  I've played it myself for a few years, as an able-bod.  Anybody interested in catching a game or playing themselves can find their nearest club at:

http://www.gbwba.org.uk/gbwba/index.cfm/wheelchair-basketball/find-a-club/

You'll without a doubt be made very welcome.  There's also a regular weekly training night at Northern General.  This is pitched at new spinal patients and amputees so don't expect the sort of skills you'd see at the Paralympics or in the GB Super League, but again there'd be no problem in you turning up and having a go.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on September 11, 2012, 10:21:16 pm by hoolahoop »
Some fantastic posts on here ..........it seems the legacy, support and understanding is already here in the UK.
Time for the rest of Europe and N.America to wake up . Besides the issue of integration there is of course the health of many of their inhabitants to consider and the fitness and  well-being of the disabled must be an advantage to ALL nations.
The U.S presidential candidates in particular certainly missed a trick here and would most certainly have brought the press and the NBC running all over London. Then their nation might just might have realised just what human endeavour and a free and equal society for ALL really meant...........currently it is just a 'soundbite' in a rich and powerful country.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012