Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:39:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Football rivalries census 2012  (Read 3047 times)

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
Football rivalries census 2012
« on September 11, 2012, 11:27:09 am by Jim Dobbin »
I think we had a thread on here not so long since with regards to who see's who has their rivals.

Rovers - Leeds/Barnsley/Utd/Weds
Rotherham - Rovers/Weds/Chesterfield
Barnsley - Weds/Sheff U/Leeds/Hudds
Weds - Utd/Barnsley/Leeds
Utd - Weds/Leeds/Barnsley

http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Re: Football rivalries census 2012
« Reply #1 on September 11, 2012, 11:42:22 am by MrFrost »
Interesting we don't figure with Barnsley, and that both Sheffield clubs see Barnsley as a rival.
Also Barnsley and Huddersfield? Hmmm.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 11, 2012, 11:43:01 am by Norfolk N Chance »
I think we had a thread on here not so long since with regards to who see's who has their rivals.

Rovers - Leeds/Barnsley/Utd/Weds
Rotherham - Rovers/Weds/Chesterfield
Barnsley - Weds/Sheff U/Leeds/Hudds
Weds - Utd/Barnsley/Leeds
Utd - Weds/Leeds/Barnsley

http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/2012-football-rivalry-census-results/

Rovers is only Scun/ Rotherham in my eyes

Leeds? Never played them for years until late last decade...

Too be honest they should be in top ten in country given their massive fan base.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 11, 2012, 12:02:13 pm by Jim Dobbin »
Close proximity of Sheffield and Barnsley makes its impossible not to have a rivalry l would have thought. Throughout the 80's/90's/00's Weds, Utd & Barnsley were regularly playing each other barring the odd seasons so they had a 3 way rivalry and the same with Rovers, Rotherham & Chesterfield. I suppose rivalries depends on who you are playing at the time. I've always seen Radio Sheff area has a 2 different sections of rivals, the 3 in the upper levels and 3 in the lower levels. One of the Barnsley kids at work said that they had a big rivalry with Hudders throughout the 90's, probably rekindled now they playing each other.

There's some strange rivalries on there (Watford/Leeds??)

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 11, 2012, 12:56:00 pm by Scooter »
I'm pleased to see Rotherham and Scunthorpe see us as main rivals

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 11, 2012, 01:36:51 pm by Albert Trousers »
Some strange ones in their (not least our No.1 being Leeds ???) always Rotherham in my eyes!
Also York's No.1 rival is Rotherham?? & Hartlepool & Sheff Wed?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 11, 2012, 01:53:37 pm by Drover »
There's some strange rivalries on there (Watford/Leeds??)

Yes.If you look,Leeds feature on alot of the teams first 3 rivals,aswell Watford and the locals like Bradford,Barnsley,us etc,there are places like Sunderland,Norwich,Middlesborough,Derby and Cardiff.I Believe there is some history between Cardiff and Leeds fans,obviously reflects why they are on their list.They are the team everyone loves to hate.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 11, 2012, 02:00:57 pm by wing commander »
 All depends which side of Donny your from...As far as i'm concerned it's just Scunthorpe...do the double over them and i will be proper chuffed.... :evil:

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 11, 2012, 04:22:03 pm by Standanista »
All depends which side of Donny your from...As far as i'm concerned it's just Scunthorpe...do the double over them and i will be proper chuffed.... :evil:
Agreed.  For me, as a Conisbrough lad, it's Rotherham hands down.  I've never even heard of Scunthorpe other than as a fictitious place that once got a three word mention in an Ian Botham autobiography, the bit he wrote while sat on the pavilion balcony at Taunton smoking reefers with Joel Garner.

These thinks change year after year of course.  I remember a decade or so ago that Chester were in our top three, much like Bros once had two albums in Channel 4's annual 100 Greatest Albums Ever chart.

I still maintain that, long term, Rotherham are Rovers' traditional Public Enemy NÂș 1, but how excellent that this year the bucket rattlers haven't been afforded the oxygen of credibility by making it into our top three/four list.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 11, 2012, 04:42:12 pm by Filo »

Agreed, I hate to see that scunny flag flying on Kirton Lane in Thorne, when they occasionally win, or when they play Rovers, I also stick two fingers up at Glandford Park when I drive by, sad I know, but it makes me feel better!

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 11, 2012, 09:12:04 pm by Mr1Croft »
When I started watching Rovers as a young'un in the last few seasons in Division Three before we were relegated to the Conference and I always looked up to Hull as a rival, that 5 year wait in the conference was worth it to see about 25 thousand in the KC with a terrific following from the Rovers, and even today I remain see Hull as a rival.

Also Mansfield make my blood boil for reasons unknown...

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 11, 2012, 09:28:51 pm by andysly »
Back in the 70's it was always Barnsley. With perhaps Halifax, York and Scunthorpe in supporting roles.
The Sheffields only came into any thinking come county cup time and Weeds were busy not being European Champions.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 11, 2012, 10:41:48 pm by afro goal machine »
scunny for me !
Glandford park park a few years back, i was on the front row of seats, bang behind goal whe leo powered in the equaliser to make it 2-2....

Oh how i cummed !

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 11, 2012, 10:50:24 pm by DC- »
I don't think that's a very accurate result. The majority of Doncaster fans would say the rivalries are with Rotherham and Scunthorpe. Leeds? Why would we care about Leeds?

The Sheffield teams are too busy in their own rivalries and the Barnsley fans haven't noticed that there's anything beyond Barnsley just yet; I have it on good authority that they believe every other football team they play are from the exotic plains of Wombwell.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 12, 2012, 08:19:15 am by moses »
Agreed rivalries change over time.
Being from the East side of town Scunthorpe were always the main rival and the best away day in my formative years (remember the 5-0 win).
That 2-2 game when Leo scored at the end, I was in the Scunny end but couldn't contain myself when he scored. Fortunately half the stand were stood up as well cheering.

Now as I work in Barnlsey and we had such a good run against them, they have crept in, though I have made much less of it in recent times...

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 12, 2012, 09:05:46 am by Alan_Rovers »
It has changed over the years. When I started watching Rovers it was York, Scummy and Rotherham that were our biggest rivals, but now a lot of people will say Barnsley.

I personally hate them scabs down the road at Mansfield, but we finished them off a few years ago when we won the Third Division and they barely even register with us nowadays.

Leeds, Sheffield United and Wednesday barely even register with us. We'll be lucky if we play any of those three again on a regular basis in the next decade or so.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 12, 2012, 10:25:56 am by SkellowRover »
Rotherham, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Scunny & York.

That is all as these are the clubs we used to be playing on a regular basis back in the 80's when i was a teenager when things would often get a little tasty.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 12, 2012, 10:35:10 am by River Don »
Rotherham, Scunny, Barnsley, Mansfield, York and Hull have all been local rivals down the years I feel.

This may be just me but I always felt a rivalry with Lincoln City. First game I ever saw was Rovers v Lincoln. First away game I went to was Lincoln.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 12, 2012, 10:44:04 am by SkellowRover »
You're right Don, i forgot all about Lincoln & Hull. How could i forget Hull? Used to get the football special when we played there and the train used to stop at the back of the stand lol.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 12, 2012, 10:56:25 am by DC- »
Although it's changed I wouldn't call it a rivalry with Leeds and the Sheffield teams, simply because both sides have to care. It's all very well us having a vendetta against Leeds when they don't give a toss about us.

Like I said on the link in the first post, I think by that definition we have more of a rivalry with Yeovil than Leeds/Sheffield clubs, albeit a friendly rivalry.

Also .... by that same logic, look at Scunthorpe and Rotherham, who both signify us as rivals. Leeds doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:09:16 am by DC- »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012